Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think you're really psyching yourself out. Dungeon fights are designed for people to gently caress up constantly and still be recoverable. People go blind into dungeons all the time, gently caress up a mechanic, get a vuln stack or even die or cause a wipe and go "oops" and then they do it right next time because they saw how it works, and no one remarks or cares about it because it doesn't matter. Dungeons are easy to the point people doing roulettes sleepwalk through them and likely don't even notice if you get hit by something, so trust me that no one cares if you came prepared for the dungeon content. That being said, if you're anxious about it, please feel free to do anything that'll help. Do your homework, bring a friend, whatever helps, but you'll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know I've seen people say this "X Expansion was planned as two" more than once and I want to know does anyone actually have anything to support this or is it just an assumption made from there's kinda two parts to this expansion and they don't mesh together entirely well sometimes

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've seen it said about Endwalker too

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The exp thing though what they were thinking is they added 40 levels since release and need to get you there

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Having raided both in recent history I'd say it's hard to really apples to apples compare WoW difficulty to FF because they're very different design wise. WoW cares a lot more about execution and numerical output IMO compared to FF which is a lot more about dances and coordination between players. I'd just say Savage raiding is a very different beast than EX fights. Like most EXs you can definitely just watch a video, talk it out with a group and hop in on VC and knock it out in a single lockout, with party finder taking longer because you need to find the group, and find one where everyone did the homework and no one just throws a baby fit and quits the first time someone misses a mechanic. From my experience Savage raiding is generally on the level of the mid to higher end of heroic difficulty in WoW maybe? Some of the early fights in a tier are just about EX level, but the late ones tend to be dense and difficult. Ultimates are kind of The Real poo poo but I dunno if they make a good comparison to Mythic because 1: I never did any Mythic raiding, and 2: Ultimates are just... different because they tend toward long, marathon dances where everyone needs to know where they're supposed to be and how to react to different roles and effects for each mechanic or everyone explodes and it's about maintaining that level of focus and memorizing the moves for like 15 minutes straight.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Doomykins posted:

This is the typical last boss of a raid tier in WoW. :laffo: It was an immense relief at the time that Blackhand in Warlords of Draenor was a 6 minute do or die.

For sure, but it's the kind of thing where several times a minute in every one of the 15 something completely new happens that is never repeated. From my WoW experience the mechanics were generally harsher timing wise and tended to be more random but there was a lot more repetition. Doing the same sets of things repeatedly but sometimes in a random order and with stricter timelines for how to handle them. Final Fantasy tends to have much slower paced fights but they tend to be a lot more complicated. There's repeated mechanics but there's almost always some added wrinkle. Now do it while THIS is happening. Now handle this puzzle but the solution is different this time because of different circumstances. The repeated moves tend to be interspersed in between the different dance mechanics. Here's the standard raidwide damage, now everyone's got to soak these hits in a particular order. Standard tankbuster, now there's an add phase. Now do light rampant. Also there's the added wrinkle of not having DBM to do all the thinking for you.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mr. Neutron posted:

Do they ever do any XP events? Perhaps for the upcoming anniversary? My Road to 80 just ran out and still have a bunch of classes I'd like to level.

No, not really. Just do your daily roulettes you'll get there before you know it

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hell, people use consumables in EX stuff too though that has less staying power because people usually aren't "progging" EX fights

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Brain In A Jar posted:

Yeah, it’s not so much that it’s overwhelming, more that I’m not convinced why 20 potency is worth sweating over when the theory world calls for the rotation to be 1-b-c 1-2-3 1-b-3 1-2-3 1-2-c 1-b-3 with interwoven off cool-down abilities, but 1-b-c 1-b-3 1-b-3 1-b-c does close to the same thing but sustainably guarantees effectively infinite buff uptime when target switches, adds or aoe avoidance invalidates the “perfect” rotation anyway.

Just try to do it right because it's a real bad idea to start learning bad habits the first time the game throws you a complication to your rotation because spoilers it's not gonna stop any time soon

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I will say one thing for the 2.x era story quests, they do lay the foundation for good story and are important even if in the moment it really feels like treading water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm sure it's been done to death but you can do old EXs just use party finder not duty finder. No one queues for those and people are gonna dodge if they somehow accidentally mentor into it. That doesn't mean you need to get carried by a 90 either, there's people who'd be happy to do it synced but you need to advertise it and get people who actually want to do it