Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I used to have a tank glam plate focused on the Brand-New gear. I scrapped it because I needed plate space and I made dedicated plates for each tank job, but I may remake it at some point if I get sick of one of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also 1-30 is the most boring part of leveling an alt job, especially just getting to having roulette access in the first place, so even a marginal increase in leveling speed is huge QoL.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Give it a shot! You can always set it aside if it's not clicking with you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"let's give the goldsmithing mentor an angry robot that sexually harasses her" was, uh, definitely a decision somebody made

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I play Generic Fem Au Ra #335782 and have never gotten any weird comments or emotes, but I have gotten "nice hat" several times when I run around in my Amon's Hat-based aiming glam

It is a nice hat, tbf

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Early-game glamour tip: if you have MB access, the Peacelover's Attire coffer is fairly cheap and will give you a pair of pretty good-looking ripped jeans to cover your subligars, as well as some other hippy-ish stuff. The Hraesvelgr attire coffers might also be cheap now, too, and is more classically fantasy if you like that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, while I wouldn't be surprised if 8-man trials end up on the Duty Support roadmap at some point, I don't think Alliance Raids ever will, especially since only the level 50 AR series is MSQ-required or even all that plot relevant. That said, it's a shame that we'll never get Duty Support voice lines trying to explain Crystal Tower raid mechanics. I just want to hear Nero trying to explain Cerberus in WoD and G'raha yelling some variation on "GET ON THE PADS YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS" in LotA.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Urianger winning all the loot rolls for gear for classes he doesn't even play, then asking "what doth thou think of mine new attire"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I started using the Duty Support for my first run of dungeons in EW, and it worked pretty well, although I got a weird interaction with the 90 MSQ dungeon -- all the NPCs dead after the first boss, which I was able to solo the last bit of as a tank, but I didn't have a rez to pick anybody up. Is the NPC healer AI not able to handle the Grebuloff? I haven't tried since; I've been tempted to grind it out for the starbird, but I assume I should go in with a rez-capable job just in case.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

Occasionally the Trust npcs eat mechanics and die, this includes the healer. Having levelled Trusts to 90 i can say it seems to happen with Alisae and Urianger the most

Oh, okay, that'd explain it. I had Urianger healing, so I presume he just ate poo poo first and the DPS followed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I like to tank in Duty Support for the extra defenses while learning mechs, but I always take the pulls one pack at a time. It's a good opportunity to experience the Content Respecter Lifestyle.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Squadrons also use extremely outdated versions of their class kits, the same as a lot of overworld mobs that have class abilities. I don't think I've ever recognized a drat thing my squad Arcanist casts.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

just use it on cooldown against trash. Against bosses, use it before tank busters. (Where tankbusters are isn't always obvious, but if a red icon appears over your head that's definitely a buster, and if the boss is doing a scary-sounding attack name, it might be a buster)

Yeah, just pop Sheltron like candy, although it shouldn't be your only mitigation; there's no reason not to, given how fast that gauge builds up. All the tanks eventually get short-cooldown mits like that, and you should be using them all basically on CD, especially since they get better as you level.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Kinda cool glam options, though! (Also Fashion Report asks for it occasionally, if that's a thing you care about.)

I got the unsynched carry through Coils and would recommend it as a fun experience, with dungeons that are neat and atmospheric even if you're blazing through, but if you'd rather just watch a cutscene collection, that's totally reasonable. Nothing in-game will be particularly concerned if you did it or not.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm not seeing a DoH/DoL list where everything's at least 10 levels over MSQ, so honestly, you could be doing much worse

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I stalled out at #27, because I read "fiddly puzzle fight" and kind of lost momentum. Just have to get back in the mood, especially since I've just got the Carnivale and like one spell left before BLU endgame (which is... cheevos? Farming mogtomes?)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Aurum Vale's first room is specifically a room where unexpected mobs wandering over and targeting someone is part of the difficulty of the room lol

not only were they a primadonna, they didn't even understand what was actually happening

Yeah, I don't know that I've ever been in an AV where we've made clean minimum pulls on the first room. Even veteran players will get a little out of alignment and grab an extra.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Had a great Copperbell Mine run. This comment by our healer I think says it best: "This is the best most cursed copperbell mine run I've ever seen."

:justpost:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, yeah, I've seen the Copperbell mob de-aggro thing hit groups hard, because a lot of tanks will overestimate how many mobs will drop off of them while running and end up with much bigger pulls than they expect. You can effectively outrun a lot of those early mobs and get them to de-aggro you, but it's a risky game, especially if the healer isn't keeping up. A lot of people write off trash at those levels, but between the limited player toolkit and how much a lot of the ARR dungeons will let you overpull, trying stupid tank tricks can be really dangerous.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I think it's the "swipe through your tomestone" emote?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

it also let low-level player sync up to their high level friends to solve the whole "you must spend 20 hours until you hit the content your friends play" problem MMOs regularly suffer from

The problem with this was that it gave you the correct stats for your sync-up level, but it didn't give you your synched-level toolkit, which could get pretty messy if you were playing support. (A friend of mine in CoH once asked me to tank a level 30-some instance for him because nobody else was online. My highest-level tank was level 10, and it turns out a sidekicked level 10 tank had high survivability but no actual aggro-control kit, in a game that didn't have any real passive aggro tools. That, uh, that didn't work out!)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

You can also just not rush the MSQ and focus on action gameplay if you prefer -- I know the conventional wisdom is to beeline MSQ, but at post-ARR, you've already got the big QoL things taken care of, so if you want to take a couple days to just run roulettes or whatever, do it. Try a new class with a different play style! Maybe learn PvP -- I'm told Rival Wings is a pretty robust MOBA mode? My point is, there's stuff you can do that isn't nonstop story, and it's cool to take a break from the MSQ and do it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, you have Palace of the Dead access, which is like all gameplay, if "FF14 is a roguelike now" appeals to you at all.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, CC also seems like a pretty decent game mode, although I haven't played much and I'm kinda dogshit at it. Definitely worth investigating -- new PvP is basically its own game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I feel like the big step between ARR and Heavensward is that the story becomes more planned and cohesive-feeling; they clearly had more room to breathe, instead of the crunch to get ARR out the door and glue together all the weird plot bits from 1.0. They get to really drill down and do more character stuff and discrete pre-planned plots.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Every time the Bronze Bull shows up, he recognizes me as the person who made his cool sword, and I appreciate it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Achievements, if you get enough -- there are minions if you get to 50k on any one crafting and any one gathering class, and more stuff for 500k, with a mount if you get 500k on everything (hahahaha no)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I kind of want it, but I'm not sure if I'm a true doom gatherhead enough to get 500k on, like, fishing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the "show recipes" option is a godsend

In general, hides usually sell really well -- Leatherworking needs a ton of them, and they're not completely trivial to acquire in bulk. Other mob drops vary, but it's always worth checking the MB.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Is there even a meaningful market for combat materia low enough to meld onto level 50 gear? Is... is this guy trying to create one?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

However, most of the Lvl.50 Weaver items to make require materials that I don't think I have access to yet (the Rainbow thread).

Yeah, unfortunately this is a problem you'll start running into at this point with crafting outpacing MSQ: materials that are in zones you can't access yet, since the post-ARR game much more heavily gates zone access behind MSQ progress. There's not much to be done about it besides just work on MSQ or buy materials on the market board.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I've done exactly one step of one ARR relic, and Curtana will rest forever under sacred protection of my PLD retainer named after a webcomic character

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dark matter can also repair things up to 199%, which doesn't make a huge difference in most situations, but does mean I can just ignore my gear longer and not worry about it. It's not a big thing, but it can be nice QoL.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I believe it expires if the server you're on stops being favored? That's the only thing I can think of, though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The important thing about that boss is that the Zu doesn't care about the hatchlings, just the eggs, and it's pretty manageable to just kill the hatchlings as they show up, so just let the eggs hatch and deal with the adds as they come. The real issue is errant AOE, especially on classes like DNC where it's core to the rotation. Having a DNC on that boss sounds like the nightmare scenario, really.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, farming Flying Frenzy synched on an all-BLU team was... an intense experience. On the plus side, it's the most chill I've ever seen a group be in a multi-wipe situation!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Retainer choices depend a lot on your crafting/gathering choices, but I would recommend one combat class, because combat retainers will fetch stuff that normally drops from monsters (like hides, which you'll need tons of for Leatherworking) and that can be a huge pain to farm manually. One gathering retainer can be good to get crystals and a wider variety of potential expeditions; botanist and miner are both good for this. Fisher is worse since it can't get crystals, but it's not bad for getting crafting-mat fish on demand, and Waterfront Exploration drops some really good minions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

What I'm wondering though is if there's consequence in returning to Ul'dah, apart from the game and the story not totally meshing. That's where I have my free home teleport set for, so I'm wondering if maybe I should temporarily change it to [spoiler]Ishgard when it becomes available.

There are no consequences, for reasons that the plot will explain when you get there. You may still want to change your home point -- lots of back and forth to Ishgard in HW -- but there are no actual travel restrictions.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 5, 2022

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, Titan to about level 44 in ARR is the worst stretch of the entire game for that stuff, although there's also a lot of plot post-Titan that actually matters. The pacing will improve, at least.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Shadowbringers and Endwalker also simplify crafting quests down to three chains (one for BSM/ARM/GSM as the metalworking classes, one for ALC/CUL as the cooking classes, and one for WVR/CRP/LTW as the non-metal-goods catch-all), with gathering going to two chains (Fishing and Not Fishing), so there's a lot less going on to keep track of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hint for leveling crafting classes: the supply missions for your Grand Company give an absolute ton of XP, like several levels' worth, with more for starred deliveries and turning in HQ stuff. You can even buy the turn-ins on the MB if needed, although I'd recommend crafting them yourself if you're focused on leveling -- crafting at-level recipes, especially HQ, is a decent source of XP on its own.