Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Tibalt posted:

But, that might change if not supporting creators meant you don't get whatever niche entertainment you enjoy.

It won't. It would just create another vacuum that will get filled and exploited.

People in general largely refuse to pay for the content/services they are provided. Companies like Google and Disney know they can maintain/grow a stranglehold on their markets because they know that, in isolation, the services they provide are not profitable. They can only be monetized by funding/bundling them with their other services (advertising, datamining, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, big companies that rely heavily on brand awareness (with the exception of Uber) all seem to realize that they don't know what the impact of online advertising is, but are all too scared to be "the one" who stops doing it and gets buried. So, it's become like a weird cost of doing business to just throw away a certain amount of your company's money as an insurance policy.

We've visited the goddamn moon and somehow the supposed big intelligent leaders of our society still feel perfectly normal sacrificing large swaths of grain to the gods.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reuters wire blurb says "All major railroad unions have ratified or are in the process of ratifying" the new union contract that Biden negotiated. So, no strike.

Probably be a full story on it available shortly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Similar, except basically every large podcast network is in on it.

But, big companies that rely heavily on brand awareness (with the exception of Uber) all seem to realize that they don't know what the impact of online advertising is, but are all too scared to be "the one" who stops doing it and gets buried. So, it's become like a weird cost of doing business to just throw away a certain amount of your company's money as an insurance policy.

It's weird that online marketing companies are so good at marketing themselves to major companies, but don't seem to have any success marketing their client's products.

Like credit card rewards programs, a lot of the stuff we enjoy online is basically subsidized by huge amounts of internet ad money. If people finally start pulling back on that, it is going to lead to a bunch of weird situations for content providers that rely on ad-revenue (which is already falling).

Wasn't there an account of eBay dropping all online advertising for several months and showing no differences in sales and traffic?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solkanar512 posted:

Wasn't there an account of eBay dropping all online advertising for several months and showing no differences in sales and traffic?

That was Uber; which is why I included the "(except for Uber)" part.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ebay also did it, but much longer ago

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fart Amplifier posted:

It won't. It would just create another vacuum that will get filled and exploited.

People in general largely refuse to pay for the content/services they are provided. Companies like Google and Disney know they can maintain/grow a stranglehold on their markets because they know that, in isolation, the services they provide are not profitable. They can only be monetized by funding/bundling them with their other services (advertising, datamining, etc)
I agree that you're probably right, but there have been a few counter examples in some niches. Twitch streaming does seem to indicate that whales for content creators exist, you've got furry artists living off the patronage of furries, the TTRPG market supports some people despite not relying on the ad market money.

...But yeah, don't quit your day job and don't try to monetize your life, it's not going to be worth it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean arent nearly all supa star whales the kids of well off familys that can give them a few years "support" to get established and then theyre successful?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The US politics thread is talking online creators and the online creators is talking about banking. This is a werid day on the Something Awful forums.

ANYWAY, the content creator whales on Youtube tend to be the first couple of people who find a particular niche first and keep making things without burning out.

I'm less sure about Twitch, but it tends to come more down to niche + wide circle of like-minded folks since a ton of streamers follow one another + ability to talk extemperanously to stranges for hours. I think all the folks I follow on Twitch except one musican on Twitch have day jobs, since it's harder to capture the market on "playing video games."

I barely listen to podcasts and I don't watch tiktok for the fear that it would become a massive time sink so I have no idea how to get popular on those platforms.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I agree that you're probably right, but there have been a few counter examples in some niches. Twitch streaming does seem to indicate that whales for content creators exist, you've got furry artists living off the patronage of furries, the TTRPG market supports some people despite not relying on the ad market money.

...But yeah, don't quit your day job and don't try to monetize your life, it's not going to be worth it.

For the most part, creators are only able to build enough of a following to live off because they're subsidized by ads.

They can post their work freely available for everyone to view for free, and use that free work to build a fanbase and hook whales that they can then monetize. If they had to pay to post their stuff, or if people had to pay to view it, they'd never find enough fans to make it worth putting stuff behind a paywall. And the platform facilitates that because it places ads next to their free work.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Popular creators/the upper 1%, are pushed heavily by companies and algorithms and not just because they get views but because they are astroturfed (celebrities, other big names, certain politics channels), know people in the companies outside of typical partnerships and/or heavily game the systems.

Most content is created by middle-of-the-road creators but they are purposefully marginalized by the companies. For example, Let's Players and other creators who center their content around games are considered a lower tier by Youtube no matter how many views, ads views, superchats, interactions and etc they generate.

Many want to unionize but how is an unanswered question and organization so far is not meaningful.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've occasionally had to navigate the internet without an ad blocker installed and I can't for the life of me imagine that being the norm.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That was Uber; which is why I included the "(except for Uber)" part.

Ebay did something similar several years ago now.

https://hbr.org/2013/03/did-ebay-just-prove-that-paid

quote:

Encouraged by these findings, eBay management agreed to run a controlled experiment where they shut off all Google search ads in a third of the country, while continuing to buy ads everywhere else. In contrast to branded keywords — where it’s inevitable that the company will end up as one of the top unpaid listings — there’s a good chance that if you try searching for “used les paul guitar,” a guitar reseller will appear ahead of eBay’s search listing. So in order to drive a customer to eBay for his guitar purchase rather than, say, Guitar Center, it might be worth the cost of placing a carefully targeted ad.

But in aggregate, that’s not what the eBay team found — overall, there was no appreciable decline in sales of eBay listings in the part of the country where Google ad purchases were shut off. People who thought to buy guitars via eBay were finding their way to the site anyway, either by clicking on natural listings, or by going directly to eBay’s site without using a search engine at all. Search ads did generate a modest increase in the likelihood that internet surfers with little recent history of eBay transactions would end up making purchases on eBay. So paid search ads serve an informational function, letting a sliver of potential eBay customers know that they’re in the guitar business. But by the time you get to customers who have had three prior eBay transactions in the last year, the effect of paid search on sales drops almost to zero. Overall, paid search turns out to be a very expensive way of attracting new business: The study’s authors estimate that, at least in the short-run, paid ads generate only about 25 cents in extra revenues for each dollar of ad expenditures. (For branded keyword searches, the additional revenues are close to zero.)

People buying search ads aren’t idiots — they’ve looked at the correlation between keyword purchases and subsequent sales and no doubt found it to be strong. But this study suggests that marketing departments should be more careful in confusing causation and correlation in assessing the returns to their ad expenditures, to avoid the equivalent of concluding that marketing works because you advertise and sell a lot in December.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

Popular creators/the upper 1%, are pushed heavily by companies and algorithms and not just because they get views but because they are astroturfed (celebrities, other big names, certain politics channels), know people in the companies outside of typical partnerships and/or heavily game the systems.

Dr. Disrespected his wife was just on Sunday Night Football somehow. I thought I was hallucinating. It blows my mind that streamers have any kind of popular appeal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wayne Knight posted:

Dr. Disrespected his wife was just on Sunday Night Football somehow. I thought I was hallucinating. It blows my mind that streamers have any kind of popular appeal.

Logan Paul is now on WWE. Streamers are just like other celebrities now

Also you misspelled Dr. Pissrespect

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is the reason for his removal from twitch now known?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

On a different note, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco released a study attributing up to 60% of the increase in the cost of housing to remote work:

"Remote Work and Housing Demand posted:

The COVID-19 pandemic reshaped the way households work. Nearly a third of employees still worked from home part time or full time as of August 2022. This has significantly increased housing demand and is a key factor explaining why U.S. house prices grew 24% between November 2019 and November 2021. Analysis shows that the shift to remote work may account for more than half of overall house price increases and similar increases in rents. This fundamental evolution in work-related housing demand may be important for future house prices.
This has sparked a lot of articles with click bait-y titles and 'The Fed is lying, it's greedy landlords' hot takes on Twitter. Setting that aside, the evidence in the study does seem pretty strong - there's a strong correlation between the areas that had a larger share of remote work before the pandemic (indicating that the area has a remote-friendly industry already) and the increase in house prices after 2019. An important thing that I think a lot of the hot takes and articles are missing is that the Fed isn't arguing that we should return to the office to make home prices go down, or even implying it. Rather, the study indicates that remote work is going to persist and is going to shape the housing market for the foreseeable future.

My take is that while increasing rates are going to decrease the demand for homes, the realignment caused by Covid-19 is going to offset that and there's still going to be a permanent increase in demand. We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tibalt posted:

On a different note, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco released a study attributing up to 60% of the increase in the cost of housing to remote work:

This has sparked a lot of articles with click bait-y titles and 'The Fed is lying, it's greedy landlords' hot takes on Twitter. Setting that aside, the evidence in the study does seem pretty strong - there's a strong correlation between the areas that had a larger share of remote work before the pandemic (indicating that the area has a remote-friendly industry already) and the increase in house prices after 2019. An important thing that I think a lot of the hot takes and articles are missing is that the Fed isn't arguing that we should return to the office to make home prices go down, or even implying it. Rather, the study indicates that remote work is going to persist and is going to shape the housing market for the foreseeable future.

My take is that while increasing rates are going to decrease the demand for homes, the realignment caused by Covid-19 is going to offset that and there's still going to be a permanent increase in demand. We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

I bought a house in May and "can I get Fiber here for remote work" was a high priority deal breaker when deciding (I do heavy media work, had to have hefty upload speeds).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I bought a house in May and "can I get Fiber here for remote work" was a high priority deal breaker when deciding (I do heavy media work, had to have hefty upload speeds).

Definitely this. Any place that has had the forethought to make sure they have a robust coverage of reliable high speed fiber is going to cash in big regardless of physical location (though yeah, rural/Middle America places with good broadband are gonna go gangbusters, especially if there's low COL, desirable local features like national parks, bars and restaurants, beaches/lakes/skiing what have you).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

This has sparked a lot of articles with click bait-y titles and 'The Fed is lying, it's greedy landlords' hot takes on Twitter

these are always the dumbest poo poo when it comes to "economic" "analysis"

"i see, landlords only became greedy as a result of the pandemic and never before wanted to charge as high a rent as they could get away with"

you see similar "i see, oil companies only just thought hey maybe we should charge high prices"

and yeah that makes a lot of sense: suddenly the demand for more space has gone up - people need an extra room to work from home than they did before

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Tibalt posted:

Demand isn't "I want a bigger house." It's "I want a bigger house and have the means to get one at a price the seller will accept." Interest rate hikes will handily turn the latter into the former if prices don't budge, so sellers are going to have to adapt.

It's not different this time. It never is.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

tagesschau posted:

Demand isn't "I want a bigger house." It's "I want a bigger house and have the means to get one at a price the seller will accept." Interest rate hikes will handily turn the latter into the former if prices don't budge, so sellers are going to have to adapt.

It's not different this time. It never is.
The interest rate hikes are going reduce buyers' ability to afford housing, I'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing that a fundamental change in the market has occurred and anyone expecting prices to drop back to pre-2019 levels or what prices would have been without the pandemic are going to be disappointed. It'll slow the trend, but interest rate hikes alone aren't going to reverse it. Either we collective accept high housing costs, or governments have to take proactive measures to deal with it.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Tibalt posted:

I think this article mixes up correlation and causation. My own completely anecdotal explanation is that people rightfully viewed remote as fleeting so they didn't move to places that actually had space and cheaper houses. As in, house prices on average jumped due to a sharp increase in prices on the periphery of metro areas because people expected to get dragged back into the office. They were thinking it was easier to eat a longer commute in the future than expect to have to uproot entirely when the c-suite decides everyone needs to be back in the office.

I may just have data laying around I can use to confirm/deny this.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Boot and Rally posted:

I think this article mixes up correlation and causation. My own completely anecdotal explanation is that people rightfully viewed remote as fleeting so they didn't move to places that actually had space and cheaper houses. As in, house prices on average jumped due to a sharp increase in prices on the periphery of metro areas because people expected to get dragged back into the office. They were thinking it was easier to eat a longer commute in the future than expect to have to uproot entirely when the c-suite decides everyone needs to be back in the office.

I may just have data laying around I can use to confirm/deny this.

What aspect of how the study controlled for migration do you disagree with?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Kalit posted:

What aspect of how the study controlled for migration do you disagree with?

I didn't say I disagreed with any aspect of how the study controlled for migration. I think you quoted the wrong post.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We live in the worst possible timeline, so I bet she will still win her primary, but someone just asked Schumer about the DSCC's policy to support all incumbents and whether it applies to Krysten Sinema and he said, "Well, the policy is not to directly support primary challengers to incumbents."

Then, when asked specifically if he would endorse Sinema if someone else ran against her in 2024, wouldn't say that he would. But, he did say that "she has been there for some important votes and that is all I have to say right now."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

We live in the worst possible timeline, so I bet she will still win her primary, but someone just asked Schumer about the DSCC's policy to support all incumbents and whether it applies to Krysten Sinema and he said, "Well, the policy is not to directly support primary challengers to incumbents."

Then, when asked specifically if he would endorse Sinema if someone else ran against her in 2024, wouldn't say that he would. But, he did say that "she has been there for some important votes and that is all I have to say right now."

Schumer isn't gonna go "her rear end is grass." He still needs her and she's in there for a few more years.

She's -50 in favorables for the democratic party of AZ. She's toast unless she saves a busload of babies and solves the water crisis.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tibalt posted:

We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

This was always just wishful thinking mixed with a belief that something that goes up a lot surely must come back down. My former coworkers back in Colorado are still repeating the idiotic line that marijuana legalization is what’s driving housing costs and surely that bubble will burst, when the costs are actually being driven by a pretty large amount of sustainable industrial growth and federal investment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sinema's still going to be in that seat for a minimum of two years, so Schumer's not going to go out of his way to publicly antagonize her now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

This was always just wishful thinking mixed with a belief that something that goes up a lot surely must come back down. My former coworkers back in Colorado are still repeating the idiotic line that marijuana legalization is what’s driving housing costs and surely that bubble will burst, when the costs are actually being driven by a pretty large amount of sustainable industrial growth and federal investment.

Wait, they think that CO is the only place that has legal weed? Have they ever heard of the west coast? WA went legal the same year that CO did.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I would have thought that weed legalization would drive down housing prices in some areas since grow houses would become unnecessary.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
edit: nevermind, this is too inside baseball.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 28, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Does that mean I can tell a restaurant that their nasty cucumber water is unhealthy?

Edit: wait come back, I need to justify avoiding cucumber water.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zachack posted:

Does that mean I can tell a restaurant that their nasty cucumber water is unhealthy?

Edit: wait come back, I need to justify avoiding cucumber water.

It would mean cucumber water can't be sold as healthy, nor any other flavored water. If you're going to say water is healthy, there is zero reason for this, and it will just feed into misinformation/scaremongering about the flavor ingredients.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

It would mean cucumber water can't be sold as healthy, nor any other flavored water. If you're going to say water is healthy, there is zero reason for this, and it will just feed into misinformation/scaremongering about the flavor ingredients.

But cucumber water is unhealthy. Cucumber is one of the deadliest plants on earth and it tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zachack posted:

But cucumber water is unhealthy. Cucumber is one of the deadliest plants on earth and it tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.

No way, if cucumbers are bad why are pickles delicious?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No way, if cucumbers are bad why are pickles delicious?

Vinegar is a substrate that aids in recombinant DNA modifications, which is what pickles are. Th deadly cucumber is fundamentally eradicated as its DNA is changed into a crisp pickle. That's why it's called CRISPR.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I don't know what the gently caress you guys are talking about cucumbers are good and pickles are nasty

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I don't know what the gently caress you guys are talking about cucumbers are good and pickles are nasty

mod note: poster is wrong

and if I didn't like the current thread title so much I would say so there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
One time I had a cucumber that was spoiled and I didn't notice and whatever mold that was on it destroyed my taste buds for about 2 hrs.

But also I like sweet pickles.

In conclusion, cucumbers are a land of contrasts.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 29, 2022