Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ManBoyChef posted:

any Florida goons? I love how all the attack ads against Val Demmings paint her as dangerously radical. Its amusing how most of the ads are written for people that live in The Villages.
Yes I’m in FL and it’s very amusing to see those ads

Like this is a woman who was a cop for a long time and then went straight to Congress.

I don’t think she has a chance to win at all because Rubio gets a lot of the Hispanic vote and without good support from that any Dem candidates in this state are DOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This guy was in charge of the ‘election integrity office’ which you can take a guess what that’s about

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No, Bryant is also in deep poo poo because he apparently took shares in some company Favre was involved with in exchange for doing this stadium deal, according to texts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Staluigi posted:

Matt Gaetz looked like if someone tried to make a quote unquote "cgi based photorealistic muppet" but stopped midway because the results were horrifying
Max Headroom, but real

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not satisfied with ruining everything else, SCOTUS appears to be preparing to ruin the Internet

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1576932123801374721?s=46&t=Lu2DkZrjK_LqH81B3t0b6w

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We’ve seen the slippery slope with abortion already. The SC did not ban contraception, but in several states we have already seen a chilling effect on contraception coverage because providers are afraid that they will run afoul of the new abortion restrictions.

What will likely happen if holes are punched in Section 230 is that companies will just restrict a lot of content that is not necessarily offensive but that they consider possibly bad for them in terms of liability. Which then ends the modern internet as we know it.

There are also efforts underway by anti-abortion states and groups to water down Section 230 so that say, you can sue Google for hosting websites that provide information on how to access abortions or get at-home abortifacients if you are in a place like Missouri.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

https://twitter.com/sollenbergerrc/status/1577071370457923584?s=46&t=znFWX9IdAnYoWSkTYw-_LA

I know people always joke about conservative politicians secretly paying for abortions but generally they aren’t stupid enough to send get well cards to the girlfriends for whom they paid! I want to believe this could move the needle a little but I’m just not sure in 2022.
It's probably not going to matter that much, to be honest

Like this guy is easily one of the worst candidates the GOP has run in a very long time and he's consistently within a handful of points and 538 rates that race as a toss-up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, the whole "See, I WAS a baby-killing decadent rear end in a top hat before I saw Jesus' light!!" is a well-established trope in conservative politics by now.
The Walker campaign is doing the dumbest possible response to this, which is claiming that the story is entirely made up and saying that they are filing a lawsuit for defamation against The Daily Beast tomorrow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is this even the first time he's done this? I swear he filed another suit previously that got thrown out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently this happened earlier

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1577786591401107456?s=20&t=9bqOUZqSucLDxA9cHNrS9g

The panel was all Republican appointees. This is now the 3rd admin that has had to fight in court over DACA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I dealt with that at the local level with small claims court, where I would have to explain to some people that yeah, you won in court, but now you have to find a way to enforce the judgment and that's a whole secondary issue that will probably go nowhere

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The entire thrust of this is essentially "if too many people learn about the joys of hot gay sex they'll never go back to the straight life and humanity is doomed!" :stare:
He's not wrong

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I see that Matt Walsh, who has been one of the main right-wing media figures pushing to essentially make it illegal to be trans, just came out in favor of arranged marriages. Definitely a great 'defender of women' right there

https://twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1578419621803483138?s=20&t=dFXO5seXaQ6f8y8q2cso9w

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I swear there was a study saying that the actual number of undecided voters is pretty low in the modern era due to polarization

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I wonder what could possibly ever change someone’s alignment these days. Can the GOP screw up badly enough for people to decide they aren’t a Republican anymore?

My Mom ditched the GOP after a lifetime of being a Republican because of the failures and corruption of the GWB administration. But she wasn’t a Fox News watcher. I don’t know if people who choose that bubble can break out very easily.

I suppose show demographic change can change the assignment of a population but it’s hard to rely on and the GOP continues to game the system further to compensate.
In 2020 there were shifts between more suburban voters voting D than usual, but who knows if that will continue.

We also saw a lot of Hispanic shift towards the GOP which unfortunately may be more permanent

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ben Sasse is off to a strong start at his new job in Florida.

He released a statement today saying he will formally resign his Senate seat and have the Governor appoint a replacement "imminently," but doesn't say exactly when.

https://twitter.com/divyadivyadivya/status/1579551060859183106
Our dumb state has extremely broad public disclosure laws, but conveniently they changed those not that long ago to exclude things like hiring of university presidents.

It's incredibly obvious that he was hired for this job because of his political leanings and nothing else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Can he just nuke Elon instead

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mendrian posted:

This is the same story we've seen with Sinema, though Sinema has not yet felt compelled to completely burn her state support for the sake of Twitter accolades. Our government is absolutely filled with charlatans at this point, it's frankly embarrassing.
The 'good people' aren't going to run for office. It's mostly people who are crazy or greedy.

I can count on two hands the number of people in Congress that aren't just there to get wealthier or oppress others.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m really glad we refinanced in like April of last year

This inflation is not unexpected. A lot of analysts have been estimating that it would not peak until next year sometime.

The growing problem is that the Fed is just going to make all of this worse in the end, because the rate hikes are not going to have an impact on the sectors where people are being squeezed the hardest (rent, energy bills).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the debt forgiveness site is live, just FYI for those who qualify (if you're not sure, at the bottom of the webpage it gives you more info)

https://twitter.com/AlexSJacquez/status/1581079058003111938?s=20&t=AknUcBz0poie_LQRDRy-tg

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

So does this count as impersonating an officer?
I mean you would think so

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snow crab is by far the worst of those kinds of crabs in terms of what you get out of it. Dungeness crab is the best for that, IMO

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is the one time that number is not nice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bowling Alone is really outdated with a lot of its references and research, but the central thesis seems pretty prophetic.

This is a pretty mind-blowing statistic with huge ramifications for society.

https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1582487937870069760
This general disconnection from society has been great for the GOP who get to have a bunch of lonely upset voters who just hate everyone

It’s extremely bad for our society as a whole, that’s for sure

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Musk takes direct charge of Twitter (which I imagine he will) then it will be a disaster. Getting rid of all content regulation is going to make it a nightmare.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I keep hearing about how Facebook is supposedly in danger but they seem to be doing just fine in terms of userbase. Their main problem seems to be lighting money on fire trying to establish the Metaverse.
Zuckerberg with the Metaverse is like Howard Hughes with the Spruce Goose

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

These 20 people were directly told BY THE STATE that they could vote, so they did. It later turned out that they actually could not, but it’s not like that would stop DeSantis from this dumb self-own

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A federal judge said in upholding the restrictions in the law that the state has ‘no duty to tell felons what they actually still owe in restitution’. Which just says it all, really.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the GOP apparently found a court that was willing to block the student debt cancellation

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1583587524504879104?s=20&t=LDrZ5tgE2GydJWbB7D35VA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The 'corruption' Hunter Biden was maybe involved with is the tamest poo poo compared to anything the Trump kids did on a daily basis for 4 years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just really don't care either way. The government needs to go after the Trump kids/Jared Kushner for breaking all kinds of laws while Trump was in office. But that's probably not going to happen at the federal level.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I saw this when the NYT first put it up and it is kind of a strange story.

Biden got played, but I also don't really understand why the Saudis were promising that they had struck a deal and then went and pressured all the other OPEC+ countries to not just violate the deal, but do the opposite of the deal. Seems like it is just being in a dick in private for no real gain.

Even the experts quoted in the article say that most people in Saudi Arabia and the U.S. have no idea why they did it.

Such a bizarre situation.
I really don't think it's that bizarre. MBS wants the GOP back in power. He's met privately with Jared Kushner multiple times since Trump left office.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Before his most recent comments there was a big article about the school and it seemed really bizarre. Like they didn’t have any accreditation but they were attracting at least some qualified people to teach there. It was pretty clear though that when you are forcing parents to sign NDAs on top of these massive costs to attend that this was going to go under sooner rather than later

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

All this is going to lead to is the Fed slamming the 'raise rates' button even harder

Dems haven't even bothered to defend the economy (which they absolutely should considering that most inflationary issues are outside of the President and the Fed's control, and companies are also being very greedy and raising prices under 'inflation') so that narrative isn't going anywhere

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Will this be a twitter renaissance, or is it going straight into the toilet?
Definitely the latter. He's going to have to cut expenses to an absurd extent and I imagine the place is going to go downhill quickly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Twitter is going to bring back Trump's account and Musk will be in charge of the American WeChat and you're all going to be sorry because our country will be in even worse shape.
Trump has previously said he would not come back to Twitter because he has his own dumb Twitter clone that he charges for. We'll see if that holds or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

"wants subs to be 50% of revenue at some point"

Wants to require credit cards to make an account "to help with bots."

Out of all the crazy stuff, this is the most delusional thing Elon has said.
There are a lot of dumb rich people, but he's definitely up there

I don't think he understands that you have to keep users on board to even have a chance to keep the company afloat, and that making major changes are just going to cause people to bail

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Going to wake up tomorrow morning to hear that Twitter HQ drove down the street and ran over several children

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe the FL Dems are saying to vote no on all three amendments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, that is just 98% of private charter schools in general. I was joking that Florida, of all places, would have a network of public charter schools devoted to racial and funding equity.
In all seriousness, my tax dollars down here fund religious charters that expel gay kids