Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Marginalized communities have been spied on, harassed and otherwise had their rights violated for far less.

Especially if they are leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
semi-related the USPS gotta set up banking

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Popular creators/the upper 1%, are pushed heavily by companies and algorithms and not just because they get views but because they are astroturfed (celebrities, other big names, certain politics channels), know people in the companies outside of typical partnerships and/or heavily game the systems.

Most content is created by middle-of-the-road creators but they are purposefully marginalized by the companies. For example, Let's Players and other creators who center their content around games are considered a lower tier by Youtube no matter how many views, ads views, superchats, interactions and etc they generate.

Many want to unionize but how is an unanswered question and organization so far is not meaningful.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

World Famous W posted:

there is nothing pleasant about oding

Yeah. It does eventually cause people to pass out but before that it's not fun. It also works by making the person stop breathing, which is horrific, even if they are unconscious.

Even with stuff designed to anesthetize people, it's bad. Also, companies specifically stopped supplying certain drugs to states who executed prisoners, leading to a cottage industry of smaller compounding pharmacies doing illegal synthesis of fast-acting barbiturates to supply it at the behest of the states, as well as secret, illicit funds to pay for the drugs. States using other methods is leading to more cruelty- ODs. But eventually, if they can't get their hands on legal fentanyl...

There are "painless" ways to do it (certain gases) but 1. It's still cruel and 2. Why?!

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 9, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Most likely he'll just move to Hungary or some other chud-friendly country, operate from there, and get proceeds through a shell company/donations. Lowtax didn't have 800k people ready to open their wallets for him at the end.

My secret fear is a consortium of 'free speech' rear end in a top hat billionaires just picking up the check. Musk, Lindell, Thiel and some 5-8 more, each grabbing a 70-million slice , would be a small hit for them compared to the clout they would gain in pissing off the libs, which is the only motivation they really have.

he isn't going to stop broadcasting or hocking bad supplements no matter what happens, even if there is an injunction and it gets enforced.

he'll keep taking donations, too. He won't pay until the IRS or another agency takes the money from him or en route to him and gives it to those who got the judgments. Maybe he'll relent if he's thrown in jail for not paying but any resolution is years and many more legal proceedings down the line while he continues to slander and push harassment.

Whether he'll book it, I can't say. He's not good at hiding his money, though.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
France and US and any international org that took payment pay it into a fund, to be split evenly between all living Hatian individuals (maybe even for a yet-to-be born new generarion) in US dollars or currency preference in any bank the individual wants with a card+ID attached to that account.

Show up, give your preferred name (no records necessary), get your picture taken for an ID and you get your bank info, a share, an ID and a card. Can also choose payments or a lump sum or get it in cash.

Logistically finicky but worth it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I just think people need to be paid back and gating it is going to lead to it never happening.

It's not that it solves all problems, it solves part of a problem the international order created because a former slave colony successfully rebelled and gained independence.

Also I never mentioned the free market or any expectation it would solve anything (it won't). Total misread on your part.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

haveblue posted:

Right now it's being gated by death squads. Being gated by the first world's unwillingness to do it would be an upgrade

I disagree with the premise considering the first world created the problem (and then made it worse) in the first place.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Also your average man is much more likely to have a satisfying encounter with a stranger, and your average woman has to worry about the much higher odds of things going even worse than just "not good."

this is a big one for women but it's multi-factor. Almost every woman has a story to tell about this. Everyone very likely knows someone or someones who have had a horrible experience from online dating (or just dating in general).

Some of it is younger people growing up more online, socializing differently, as someone mentioned (arguably not a good thing and socially stunting). Some of it is also a "generational" turn away from perceived promiscuity of older generations, as well as drug use. Going along with that is media, some of it propaganda, that is being put out and absorbed, turning younger people away from sex.

there is a backlash against perceived openness of/about sexuality, including among younger lgbtq+ people, with the idea that being openly gay/lesbian/trans is inherently sexual, which is a rehash of old bigotry. There is a kerfuffle over Pride because of this, despite the fact that Pride has been both accepted and co-opted by the mainstream, though more adult parts have always been segregated to a degree and are more so now.

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, I'd say its thesis has been strengthened quite a bit.

Capitalism drives a tendency to commodify everything. This alienates people from themselves and others: this drive often degrades social relations as a side-effect of profit generation (people living in car-dependent burbs), but also as a direct effect with things like making friendships feel transactional, like when everyone around a table is venmoing each other for lattes, or dating apps specifically designed to make people frustrated and obsessive.

atomization has been increasing due to the way social media works, yeah, and there's a whole other issue with tech actually decreasing productivity (in the sense that it distracts) and increasing overall unhappiness despite the fact that it makes certain things far easier. Many things have been streamlined, difficult or dangerous jobs have become automated, which is good, but wages and work have not. The industry of playing games to gather and sell items (now under a boss or company, even if the grey market is against a TOS), doing certain menial tasks machines can't do easily, gig work and etc which all suck and don't really produce much. A saturation of influencing, "brand ambassadors," parasocial trades, commodification of experiences and so on, which, on top of traditional advertising, exist only to create or focus demand, while increasing unhappiness. Economic exploitation through crypto and NFTs is now pushed as a gateway to getting rich or making some money.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 20, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think this has a lot of good insights, but the thing kind of blows me away and doesn't really track with that is how different it was ~9 years earlier. Is 9 years really enough for such a dramatic culture shift? Online dating was still big in 2009 or 2010. There was worse youth unemployment and housing independence in 2009 than 2018.

I think that a portion of LGBT people being less sexually active wouldn't move the needle that much either. Even if the percentage was as high as 20% of the LGBT population, that would be a very small percentage of the total U.S. population.

online dating apps were less exploitative. I won't say it was the wild west, because people have been meeting people they talk to on the internet for long before that, but it started getting bigger in the early aughts and eventually huge with the advent of widespread social media.

Some of younger lgbtq+ people turning away from sex, or even buying into bigoted propaganda, is an example rather than responsible for the dramatic shift itself.

Also, with people moving away from areas that they can't get work or is dangerous for them to exist in, as well as often zero support for grass-roots efforts, support networks that existed collapsed or are in a constant state of forming and breaking, with those who are different and/or marginalized refusing to expose themselves to potential dangers, despite the narrative that they are accepted and things are "better." It might be statistically small, but it's important to recognize. Conformity can seem protective.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 20, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

forbidden dialectics posted:

Back in ~2006 or so, you used to be able to buy drugs off of the internet through various "review" forums that eventually became Silk Road/Silk Road 2.0.

You'd pay with E-Gold, a pre-cursor to Bitcoin, that you'd fund with a Western Union transfer. Truly, the intersection of technological waypoints.

Anyways, one time I had a package with some incense in it go missing - it wasn't seized, so I took a dumb risk and reported it as stolen.

Like, 2 days later, my neighbors knocked on my door apologizing and handed me like 6 months worth of junk mail and other poo poo they'd stolen from my mailbox, including the incense I had ordered.

before the price hikes and delays, but even with junk mail and having to fund retirements 75 years in advance, postal service/post office was consistently rated among highest of any government department+service.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

And even now the USPS still is one of the most reliable and affordable mail services on a global level apparently.

It's frustrating how thoroughly it's been hosed over in order to satisfy the whole "government doesn't work" narrative.

it's also proof that at least some people are aware of how good they had it when it's worked so well for so long. So many businesses (including UPS and FedEx) and trade relied on it being a fairly cheap and effective service. People got 90 day supplies of life-saving medications regularly, including stuff that was rapidly perishable or required refrigerated/cold shipping. They'll even knowingly ship legal drugs whereas UPS and FedEx won't.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Honestly, as someone who struggles sometimes with mental health, this is completely outrageous.

ELEVEN weeks in the ER waiting for a psychiatric bed.. ELEVEN. No family (pandemic), no sun, no anything. That is just horrifying.

Right now, my first inclination is to grab every national level politician by the throat and say "What are you going to do to fix this."

(who am I kidding, all the red side and half the blue side will shrug and say "That's Life!")

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/10/20/er-mental-health-teens-psychiatric-beds/

This is a growing problem and not just the lack of psychiatric beds for younger people in crisis, though that has worsened to the point where it's untenable.

There is extremely limited help for people with severe mental illness, including autism, and especially if they're violent (often people who do not have the capability to understand their actions nor the harm they cause).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still lol that TikTok only exists because Facebook bought and killed Vine.

Is there anything better than posting? *keyboard chords* Yes, going outside.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

How has twitter stayed afloat all this time? It’s always been unusable and full of nazis. There’s a thin crust of absolute psychos who post hundreds of times a day there and I can’t imagine they’d ever stop, but what would it take for twitter to finally die?

The most important thing to consider when investing in tech is not whether a company makes money or produces anything at all, but their potential future valuation.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kale posted:

Yeah guys full blown barking mad psycho like Trump so will be very surprised if he goes quietly. He and his son had been claiming fraud for weeks in the likely event that he lost so he's already laid the groundwork to dispute endlessly and his supporters are well conditioned towards political violence as a response after being fed the usual slate of lies from the right wing playbook like Lula is a child killing cannibal Satanist etc.

e: Holy gently caress that was an insanely close vote though as these things usually tend to be in the polarized political climate. Leftist vs. far right candidate balanced on a razors edge of just over 1% difference in voter preference. That many people preferred a poo poo bag that all he's done is rant and rave and denigrate a good chunk of the country and made piss poor "gut" decisions based on his own ignorance and trash personality. I'll never understand why so many are still going for these far right populists with no ideas so consistently around the world and how sheer spite and nihilism are now killer qualities to have as someone aiming for high office.

My experience is it's just kind of always like that really, people trying to irritate and degrade one another constantly as a blatant goal, just hurling insults and posting dunks at each other, zero self reflection or sense of purpose to discussions, everything's a joke like Elon Musk treats it and there's no take too hot and spicy. That sort of thing. I did hear that he use of racial slurs positively exploded overnight when Musk took over though and that it was well above the usual volume.

it was closer because police purposefully blocked roads in order to prevent people from going to the polls

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Elon appears to have Swimmer's Body Illusion about twitter blue checks.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's funny Roe did have the fact that everyone agrees the actual decision was really wonky, and people also buy into rightwing propaganda and forget Roe itself was always a compromise with limits to abortion built into it. It in many ways set itself up for erosion and re-litigation. Like if Roe was overturned under Scalia, the guy did have some reasonable sounding arguments because the shaky ground of Roe made overturning it a bit of a layup. But instead the Dobbs decision is loving insane.

I could be way off here because this is from memory, secondhand and also I am not a lawyer so anyone feel free to correct me:

As it was explained to me, Roe did make sense constitutionally and has a basis in case law. It's just that there was not much case law about abortion specifically (maybe also medical privacy?), nor it being protected by the law.

Essentially, the first clause of 14th amendment guarantees due process but unwritten is the right to privacy and this was established in case law.

From there, there is a right to medical privacy from the government so the government doesn't have the power to invade that privacy nor dictate medical decisions with respect to a person's pregnancy* because otherwise they would be violating medical privacy and thus due process.

*the medical decision can be limited by state law based on viability and some wonky legal test

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 1, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Guys, it seems like Elon Musk might just be rich because his parents owned several diamond mines and he was friends with the guys who made Paypal and may not be an actual business genius.

Emerald mine, if I recall.

Possible Slytherin/dark wizard connection.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

davecrazy posted:

What a loving moron.

there are advantages to owning stock like being able to borrow against it, but not in this case because it's worth is going to drop heavily and banks are leery about the debt as it is. Even if he is playing the long game and trying to get twitter back under his private ownership for cheap it means losing a ton of "money" in the interim and also ending up with a toxic brand in the end.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
gonna laugh if the AI Ethics Team is not just a load-bearing part of the company but also the thin shield holding back Chaos from reclaiming this plane

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Content moderators should be contractors with minimal training that are hired from a massive pool of revolving door employment like telemarketers or Amazon warehouse employees. They should be placed in a liminal space like a large, nondescript office floor that is colorless and has pillars, fluorescent lighting but no windows. Give them tablets that can do nothing but access an endless stream of posts and moderation tools. Any conversation between moderators is prohibited.

Give them a list of rules that are explicit enough to be defensible to advertisers but vague enough to be interpreted so as to defend any action or lack there of.

Managers on the floor have never moderated, do not know the rules and do not answer questions. They are there only to admonish the employees for failing to meet the quota or who are doing anything except scrolling and modding.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

What do we think Alex Jones actual net worth is between all weird rich person assets and shell entities? I’m pretty cynical so I bet it was $50 mil at its peak but probably 20M now with the crypto/NFT slump.

That’s before factoring in ex wives and drugs as expenses tho, so who knows.

Be nice if he actually loses that wealth to the plaintiffs but I assume he’ll always live the lifestyle of a successful grifter.

it's hard to estimate because, while he is terrible at hiding his assets, he refuses to provide full accounting to anyone, including courts. He submits fraudulent paperwork, suffers the consequences then goes on to lie by claiming that isn't true and anyone who says so defamed him.

Speaking of, the judge from the Sandy Hook case has ordered a freeze on Jones's assets because there is a fear he will try to transfer it out of the country or into other people's names (he already has multiple trusts and companies set up but they aren't well-hidden).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alex-joness-assets-frozen-judge-175242739.html

yahoo article because Bloomberg article is paywalled.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

He's saying "Because most of Twitter's staff is working from home, the free lunches are costing Twitter $400 a meal. Therefore, we're forcing everyone to come back to the office and no longer offering free lunches". That's it. And he probably pulled that $400-a-meal number out of his rear end to boot.

It reminds of when the Chicago Tribune parent company got bought by a real estate magnate who loaded it with debt, cut employment, vital infrastructure and services to the bone while putting morons who didn't understand the news business in charge, all while effecting changes to make things more like tabloids. It didn't go well.

It's possible to make money as a corporate raider but overpaying, then cutting maybe tens-of-millions in costs while there is tens-of-billions in debt, billions in potential regulatory violations, plus rolling out lovely ideas to make up the difference is not a good business plan.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

Because that already happened and doesn't need to happen again

until he buys 612 Wharf Avenue, his new money pit.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Liz Cheney nominally supports same-sex marriage protection and has voted for it recently, though the Respect For Marriage Act was doomed to fail.

She isn't going to be a senator in the new session but there you go.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Liz Cheney is not a Senator, she is in the House, so what she would vote for doesn’t matter.

my bad, she voted and it helped pass the house then died in the senate

I was thinking of her Senate campaign when she came out against marriage equality, causing a rift with her sister. She later became pro-marriage equality.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the issue isn't whether it's verifiable that Hunter put a lot of the bad stuff currently on the laptop, on the laptop. It can't be verified. Referring to the right-wing media and to people who believe it was all him- no amount of evidence coming out that it's not verifiable will likely matter, no amount of proof that a bunch of it definitely wasn't put there by him will likely matter.

Similar to election denial, Sandy Hook denial, etc., there is always going to be another level proof required and most people tuned in will keep on believing whatever they believe.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I forget who but there was a speaker+religious leader who was vehemently anti-abortion calling it murder, genocide and stopping it a holy war which, along with everything else, spurred people who believed it to commit murder and terrorist acts. Eventually they realized that, yes, in fact they contributed to these things happening and came out against it.

Pundits, propagandists, whatever essentially calling for violence or other threatening actions, without explicitly calling for them will abrogate their responsibility in any way they can- denying any connection, people have their own free will, claiming that because they were never explicit they couldn't see how someone might interpret their words in such a an extreme way, claiming they are just entertainers, or just putting information out there- even if they know they are actively contributing, even hoping what they say and do will result in those actions. Other people committing those violent actions, anyway. The more mainstream pundits might decry violence but they know their ideological and economic position benefits from extremists.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

50 states are not going to agree to that, and if you’re say the Georgia GOP you’re going to purposefully block moving the primary so the Georgia Democrats get hosed.

Don't the parties decide when and how their primaries are held?

Parties in those states may rebel against the new schedule but there is a response to that. In the worst case scenario that could screw up elections or fracture the party.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Some states have state laws about who sets the primary dates/when the primary must be held. Georgia requires the Secretary of State and legislature to change it. New Hampshire has a law requiring the Secretary of State to schedule the state's primary before any other primary.

Some states just say it is up to the parties.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Federally, they already have.

with respect to Biden's clemency order for marijuana-related crimes, it released no one from prison because no one was in federal prison for simple possession of marijuana.

Cases involving simple possession being prosecuted federally are comparably rare, because they have to happen in areas under federal jurisdiction. Otherwise, it's for local authorities.

Those prosecutions shouldn't happen at all, though.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 8, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
with respect to bringing legal prescriptions into other countries, even if you are staying in the airport to grab a connecting flight, always check the national and local drug laws and make sure you are compliant. If necessary, do all relevant notification and paperwork prior to entering that country and keep that info on you at all times. Even if you do this it's no guarantee you won't be arrested, especially in countries with harsh drug laws and enforcement, where foreigners are particularly targeted.

Generally, do not bring supplements or grey area/market substances with you.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

selec posted:

The vast majority of people will never earn close to that amount of money or ever get endorsement deals either.

I’m fine with saying we focus entirely too much on making more money to the detriment of our psychological health, social health and international prestige at arms control.

“Pity the millionaire” is never going to fly.

It's more than 40 hours/week.

I think it's silly but high-level amateur and pro athletes are sacrificing their bodies, even if they do everything right. The long-term damage from their training and progressive injuries will never fully heal, even if they continue to exercise, do PT and stretch regularly for the rest of their lives. Not to mention, most of them do not make near the top salaries and once it's over for a lot of them, it's over. No huge endorsement deals unless they are among the top or the most recognized. What do they transition to after? Coaching?

Practice teams/opponents have it even worse. People on them sometimes make six figures and get okay healthcare but mostly they are doing the same job for less.

The bad guys are the owners, the team administration, the corrupt governing bodies. Not the athletes.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

selec posted:

You can’t make me feel bad for millionaires when the people mopping up the stadiums struggle to make ends meet. It doesn’t work on me. She saw the lion’s den was hiring, and walked on in, despite having Enough Money.

She had and has enough money. Anything you do to get more money beyond Enough? You’re making stupid choices.

the specific issue I have is that you are generalizing using a top earner to all athletes and also not taking into account the other effect it has on their lives.

Not referring to you, but I do find it funny that some self-described leftist goons think worker solidarity is bad when it's with a group of people they personally don't think deserve it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of people don't view being a professional athlete as "work" since "they get paid to play a game that many people play for fun". You hear this argument made about actors and musicians too. It's bullshit of course because, if anything, in most cases people in those fields have to work harder, sacrifice a ton and put in longer hours than most of the blue color heroes America claims to worship as the backbone of society. I hear that from "both sides" a lot.

E

Also, agree that Sinema's deal is mostly just a "look at meeee" play for attention, which she seems to thrive on. Remembering that little curtsy she did on the floor when she voted against something or other.

looking at highly-paid actors and sports stars, it's definitely true that they make way more money than they should (but not as much as the studios and producers) compared to the value they generate, no matter how good they are or entertaining a movie/show is. And the bulk of the money is especially not going to the people actually doing most of the work of making the movie (writers, technical people like camera operators, sound, etc), like it should.

The difference between athletes, actors, etc and other jobs is that the former does not keep the bulk of society functioning. They help provide a service in the form of entertainment, which is good but isn't [as] necessary as farming or power grid work.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

PT6A posted:

Interestingly, socialist and communist countries have traditionally supported the arts and athletics very well, because they recognize that it is a vital part of society, at least assuming you want people to feel decently fulfilled.

It's not unimportant, it's just not as important in a utilitarian sense. This is ironic because hunter-gatherers often had more free time and energy than early farmers, as well as better diets. Society was a mistake.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

what is this, a graph for hydrogen atoms?

H- isn't real, it's just a concept that is statistically likely!!!

For fusion, if it begins to work and is economical, there will be a propaganda campaign against it the likes of which we have never witnessed or it will be quietly shut down.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 12, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
https://www.yahoo.com/news/thousands-youths-compelled-join-militarys-154348130.html

article from the NYT (yahoo link to avoid potential paywall) about compulsory enrollment of high school students in JROTC, disproportionately affecting schools that are majority black and Latino.

When challenged, some schools back off on the policy but others make it difficult or impossible to unenroll students from the program. Enrollment is being done without informed parental consent. The military claims JROTC is not part of recruitment but schools with such programs statistically have far more students that go on to join the military and the schools are incentivized to do it because the education arm of the military picks up the tab.

This is happening during a time with sharply decreased military enrollment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Seems like a great way to launder money and also get it in large quantities potentially outside of the usual campaign donation apparatus, which is already a huge grift.