Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If Trump dies from a hurricane this week that would be extremely poetic.

Insh'allah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maximum income not wage

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

Sure that too! I think it would be a great mental exercise for dudes who have focused all their energy on money to hit the ceiling and figure out how to be normal now. We could make a reality show: rich and dumb as hell, where we teach them the things they should know already

Right, but the distinction between wage and income is important -- someone making a high wage is far more likely to be "earning" it by performing some form of skilled labor, whether that's playing skilled sports or surgery or coding or what have you.

Someone merely receiving passive income is probably just a rentier or speculator, not societally valuable at all.

It would actually make a lot of sense to cap passive income at a far lower level than earned wages.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does she currently own a live dog

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I AM GRANDO posted:

The diet coke button was real?

I love that he misses it. I love that he doesn't have any employees left competent enough to install him a new button.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I represented people in bond court once day a week for about two years and in all that time I never saw anyone charged for stealing from their employees in any capacity

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Yes the context is "something a poor person is likely to do" vs "something a rich person or institution is likely to do", with the poor going to jail and the others getting administrative procedures.

Twenty years ago or so now I spent a summer working in a liquor store. I worked the register.

Every week we were, somehow, $20 short at the register. The store owner always docked our salaries and said we must've just screwed up and it was our fault. The only week we were on target was the week that the store owner took vacation. That week we were within a nickel. Dude was taking $20 out of the register every week and docking us for, it just because he could and because he knew we had no way to prove otherwise.

I currently have a client who has been in jail for the past three months and will be in jail over Christmas and New Year's . . .. for allegedly taking a few hundred dollars from a cash register while working as a cashier. . . . .roughly a decade ago, at a store that closed seven years ago. The prosecutor refused to agree to lift his bond.

No one is even asking for restitution; there's no store left for restitution to be made to.

The system is working as designed.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 20, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I AM GRANDO posted:

How did they catch the guy who stole from the register ten years ago?

Outstanding warrant. I don't remember his case specifically but usually this kind of thing its either a random traffic stop or someone is applying for a job and the background check tells them they have a warrant so they go turn themselves in.

Main Paineframe posted:

I probably don't have to say this to you if you're in the legal profession now, but it's illegal to dock anyone's pay simply because there's not enough money in the register. The store owner was blatantly breaking labor laws the entire time, and got away with it only because neither you nor anyone else in the store reported it.

Oh it was the least of his lawbreaking -- the dude literally had prostitutes come into his office during the work day while the store was open - total slimeball - but we were all kids, the amount was small and divided among us so below the "is this worth making trouble?" threshold, and this was the nineties, pre-ubiquitous-recording, so I don't think there was a camera in the entire store the entire time I worked there.]

I'm actually curious now as to what would've happened if we had reported it. I imagine we'd have been fired ( he was the type dumb enough to do that) and we'd have sued for retaliatory firing and wage theft and if we were very lucky we'd have gone through an administrative process (eeoc?) and gotten a trivial payout. And that's the best case, because we were all white and affluent. There's another version of that story that ends with us all in jail for theft from the register.

I did a little bit of employment law about ten years ago. Just one case that I remember going to litigation. Managed to get a woman a few month's worth of salary back and enough in attorney's fees to maybe cover a fraction of the work we put into the case. Not really worth the time or trouble except as a point of pride.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 20, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Considering restitution is impossible and 10 years is beyond the statute of limitations for theft in every state I can think of, it's likely he was caught a long time ago, skipped out on court and got a capias, and didn't get picked up for several years.

My state officially has no statute of limitations but yeah in this case I believe it was an old warrant they just hadn't served on him. I'm going from memory on that though and could be wrong ( and wouldn't want to go into any more precise detail anyway).

The specific details of each case don't matter that much anyway for purposes of this discussion. The larger point is that the entire system is set up such that some people have to go hire a lawyer to get justice, and other people get to use the criminal system to force what are or should be civil judgments. A business steals from you, go get a lawyer, good luck. A business says you stole from it? You don't need to get a lawyer, you'll have one appointed -- because you'll be locked up and charged with a crime.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 20, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If prosecutors were always competent and rational and fair my job wouldn't need to exist

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bear Enthusiast posted:

If they had reported it other things would happen besides the authorities finding out, for example being fired. It's not as simple as tell the government and get your $20 back.

In that specific instance, it was because none of us at the time had a drat clue that we even could, and the amounts were small enough that we never got mad enough to think about doing anything. In retrospect he was probably also violating the rule about posting those EEOC workplace notices. If those were even required in the nineties.

For what it's worth the dude also made me drive his car after I told him I couldn't drive stick, and I heard he had to rebuild his transmission a month or two later, so karma circled back as it were

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 20, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

Why not just redirect the money internally to focus on larger offenders? Are they prevented from deciding how to spend their own budget?

Going after the big offenders isn't cost productive because over a certain threshold they just spend the money on lawyers instead and you don't recoup it. There are several reasons most major corporations end up paying 0 in taxes every year. One of those reasons is law written to help them, another is good lawyers which they can afford.

Tax prosecution makes money the same way ordinary prosecutors make their numbers: large volumes of low level offenders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

it is cost-effective. it's just not cost-effective if you don't have the money and political will to see it through.

This seems like a true Scotsman esque argument to me. Given current political realities "sufficient money and political will" seems an ask on par with, say. . . At that point President Bernie is making communism real anyway already.

Like, are we reversing the Holder Doctrine here?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57444

this is the study that justified the increased budget and you will note (a) it increases audits of the rich; and (b) increases revenue

we have the political will to pass it because, again, we passed it this year, we just didn't before. the irs didn't have the money before.

Ok, fair enough I guess. I may be succumbing to cynicism poisoning. It's hard for me to believe that increased IRS enforcement won't in turn lead to a political backlash that undoes these steps forwards -- our system does not seem resilient against such shocks. Gotta believe better things are possible I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So when are the full returns just going to be posted online?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The House already released a report that has a lot of the information in there, but not the full returns.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/jc-treport-full/f668ccce9e46c975/full.pdf

I'm probably too jaded here but I'm having a hard time believing anything less than a full, total reveal can possibly Mattertm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
None of this is at all likely to get him kicked out of congress, is it? If so, who would appoint his replacement?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

7c Nickel posted:

They did, and they put out a release with the stuff they found and no one in the media cared at the time.

Makes sense. New york media far too busy talking about whatever bright idea eric adams had on the toilet yesterday I'm sure

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

nobody. representatives can only be replaced by special election.

and given how narrow the R majority is, there's no way in hell they let him resign

Any chance any of this could get him arrested?

such a christ-awful indictment of our entire society that this guy is just gonna . . . get away with it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gumball Gumption posted:

None of that seems that odd to be honest when you remember that Senators are primarily figureheads who are having everything run by their staff. The same reason someone like Feinstein can function without issue while having dementia, it's 90% her staff managing everything.

This was my thought too at first but , wait, no, gently caress that, the problem is she's treating being a senator like a part time job. I work longer hours than that and all I'm trying to do is get people out of jail.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'll believe it when I see it. And I'll have to see it more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The local press apparently had him dead to rights but nobody paid attention. Big media was too busy running bullshit about scary democrats defunding the police or whatever