Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

Then again this discussion was about non-fascist sympathizers and I think most americans are kinda sympathetic to fascism and just don't realize it.

Well yeah, because we've had a decades long (almost a century, really) of representative democracy failing to actually represent the average American. Now pile on top of that the desire for quick, easy answers to massive complex systemic problems and of course you'll get a subconscious sympathy to some of the aspects of fascism. Most people would be happy with a benevolent dictator, as long as said dictator acted the way they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not saying the workers don't deserve more sick days. They do, and I know it's a much more complicated situation than how I framed it. But I framed it that way deliberately because that's how it's going to be presented to millions of Americans, and I'm telling you that making the people of the country suffer over the sick days of otherwise well-compensated workers is not going engender sympathy to their cause or the cause of labor as a whole.

Ah so we're back to the 'dems shouldn't do leftist things for fear of being called commies' style of arguments. The problem is that the dems get called communists anyway.

The unions striking or not, will be smeared by the mouthpieces of Capital. Just like any other leftist cause.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Archonex posted:

(A lot of words that lead to this conclusion)

It's why i'm a firm believer that the only way to get the Republican party to course correct is to force them to do it by whatever means since you can't make someone with a pathological lack of care for other human beings give a gently caress about doing the right thing if it means they see a way to hurt others to get ahead or achieve their own self gratification.

You are absolutely correct. Then when you say this in front of centrists, their hands get a-wringing. Don't you know you sound just like them?! :rolleyes:

What is the best way to make the centrists, or the politically disengaged actually realize what must be done? Can it be done through discussion alone? Or do people need to actually experience the suffering they chose to ignore when it wasn't happening to them?

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Archonex posted:

This is a charged question that is liable to set off people on this forum and perhaps even start a string of nothing matters doomerism from certain types, but fine, i'll bite:

(Insert actual effortpost)

Hey thanks, this certainly helped frame things in ways I had overlooked, or not considered, and I appreciate the time it took to write all that up!

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
That Meijer guy sounds like he had some convictions he stood by. Shame he's still a republican and therefore still a shitbag with poo poo policy positions. (Anti-abortion for example: https://sbaprolife.org/representative/peter-meijer )

Honestly, the fewer 'reasonable' republicans left, the better. It would weaken the eye-roll inducing 'both sides are reasonable' arguments you hear in the media. It'll mean less of an excuse to compromise with the right, because they'll be more mask off bout their fascism than the scheming McConnell type who has reigned for decades. Let them radicalize themselves into a despicable party that is morally repugnant to behold for the large majority of people. Let them radicalize themselves out of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

If the media is determined to "both sides" everything then no, them becoming more insane as a party won't make them seem less electable, it will just normalize what are now far right positions.

Give me an enemy who says to my face 'yeah I plan on killing x minority group, they're sub-human' over the one who talks in dog-whistles and hides behind mealy-mouthed platitudes. One is far easier to rally against, even if they make some chuds brave enough to be more publicly bigoted. I'm sure a nice can of Twisted Tea will shut them up.

Edit: Also, the midterm results beg to differ about a more insane republican party being more electable. How many Trump endorsed candidates won their elections?

Dull Fork fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 1, 2023