Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OAquinas posted:

"Inciting stochastic terrorism" isn't really a crime. IANAL, but it would seem to me that you'd need to be able to draw a straight line from Trump to tiki-torch wielding Meal Team Six terrorist to nail him on anything.

I thought "incitement" is a crime, especially incitement to riot, which is what they'd define the January 6th incident as, as well as any retread Trump manages to kick off.

Now, you couldn't charge Trump for inspiring people, if then they go off and riot without him having some kind of direct inducement (ie., the January 6th rally speech), as I understand it. But, stuff like all of this Q-branded messaging - and his constant retweeting of it now - comes a lot closer to representing him making an obvious incitement via his social media speech. IANAL and I don't know if any of this is chargeable, but it seems like if he does manages another Jan. 6, then you could definitely use this in the trial against him*.

*I know it's not coming to that; let me have this for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It depends on exactly what he posted. Recording himself with the letter Q in various poses, or making references to Q memes, isn't incitement. Getting someone on incitement requires specific calls to imminent violence.

This Q stuff that Trump is dabbling in isn't incitement, and probably wouldn't rise to that level. However, if he were to be taken to trial over the Jan. 6th stuff, or any future riots he incites, wouldn't it be admissible as evidence of a basic pattern, possibly even as examples of what defines Trump's particular speech and message in regards to the actual inciting message/incident? Or is too broad for anyone to consider in a legal sense, even though we all know what it is in a practical one?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is protected speech to promote a violent conspiracy theory, no matter how noxious you or I might find it, absent a call for imminent lawless action or other specific exception to the first amendment. If Trump some day crosses the line into unprotected speech, the relevant evidence will be him crossing the line, not previous or future incidents in which he did not do so.

There are plenty of lawyers with relevant subject matter experience. If Trump engages in something even close to non-protected speech, we will not lack for qualified people to let us know. We will not need to guess it for ourselves.

So Trump can only get in trouble for the speech that crosses the line, but can no one point to the months of similar speeches leading up to that moment as way of establishing a pattern of guilt? Of a downward slide of acceptability until his speech does what it is inevitably designed to do?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Zotix posted:

Word is trump may announce tonight he's running for prez in 2024.

God, that would be the most stupid and chaotic decision. Wait until early voting is almost entirely done, and then just a few hours before everyone heads to the polls with their minds already made up, turn around and make it All About Trump. Which has never been a positive for Republicans at any point, and is absolutely the last moment spoiler that some would need to swallow hard and vote Dem.

I hope he loving does it.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Warnock is the difference between having to get Sinema and Manchin and having to get Sinema or Manchin

And just the general optics of not rewarding Trump's terrible picks, and Republicans in general, with more power considering how they've been acting since at least January of last year. Telling Reps to gently caress off is worth at least as much as the strategic benefit of weakening the most intransigent Conservative Dem holdouts.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

I don't post about it much, because gun control is a famously unproductive topic online, but the endless stream of mass shootings and gun violence has utterly convinced me that the only way to stop the violence is to retake the Supreme Court, overturn Heller, and re-interpret the 2nd amendment in a way that allows us to regulate guns nearly out of existence. Day-to-day problems are made deadly when the presence of a gun intersects with people's impulsiveness, and until guns are effectively banned, we will continue to see road rage, workplace grievances, and depression escalate into murder, slaughter, and suicide.

The hopelessness of the situation is one of the few things that have my wife and I actually discussing leaving the country. We want to have kids soon, and we would rather live somewhere where schools don't need to teach them about the realistic possibility that they may be slaughtered on any given day of the week. We'd be leaving our families behind, but this issue might make it worth it.

While I agree with your general sentiments, even if you could get through the bolded steps above - and that's an if the size of the Empire State Building, mind you - what are you going to do about all of the guns currently in existence/circulation in the US? We already have almost as many guns as citizens here, and even if you could cut off the flow entirely tomorrow - no more guns being made or sold to citizens, no more military-grade weapons being handed off to police departments, etc. - there's still enough already existing weapons out there in people's hands to keep the current mass shooting status quo running for basically forever.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump organization found guilty on all 17 charges.

Did they establish what the consequences of all of those guilty verdicts would be? Is that going to essentially be a stake in the heart of the Trump Organization, or are they going to just have to pay off a bunch of fines and keep on trucking along?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The way those laser beams are shooting makes it look like Trump is looking in two different directions at once. Like an orange chameleon.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

BDawg posted:

I just re-read and saw that they're digital.

Nothing is keeping an enterprising MAGA from buying and sharing with all of his friends.

So this is the same as any other NFT, but without the fancy buzzwords trying to make the mark feel like a big special boy for forking over money for a JPEG.

Trump can't even put in the minimum effort into this, his laziest of grifts.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

A few more of the designs, if you've got a spare hundred bones laying around:

Wait... that's the same head photo on all three, isn't it? And the same as the superhero announcement photo?

They really are just cheaping out and being as lazy as possible, aren't they?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm starting to think Texas was a mistake

Evergreen comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Full OP for caption contest is up! We also went through the Trump NFT collection to pull a bunch of examples and templates for easy use.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019787

I'll give Trump and his team this - honestly, the idea of an NFT collection that doesn't care about verified individuality but instead focuses on theoretically valuable "real life prizes" is kinda genius, in a sick and evil way. Cut off the whole blockchain vs. "right-click" mentality at the knees by just not bothering with it, and instead get the rubes to buy a bunch of lovely Photoshop JPEGs in an attempt to win a bullshit meet-and-greet or an exclusive video of Trump distractedly "signing" your NFT (a thing he definitely knows nothing about and will be very confused while doing).

It makes me wonder if Trump just managed to give the whole stupid NFT fad enough of a shot in the arm to keep limping along for another few months.