Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Evangelical Christians have little cultural impact? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

... what do you mean by "successfully appealed?" here?

They filed an appeal. That's all.

Sounds like they succeeded in filing an appeal! :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no doubt that there are several senators that are more conservative than Chuck Schumer, but less conservative than Joe Manchin.
Also, how "conservative" someone is varies notably on different issues. Manchin sucks particularly hard because climate change is important and he is a catastrophe there, but with an additional dem senator you have a bit more room to maneuver. Maybe you can afford to ditch Manchin on one particular bill and on another bill hypothetical Senator A has some kind of bugbear about the bill but Manchin is fine with it. They certainly aren't monoliths as a party and they aren't all on an identical line of varying degrees of "liberalness". It'll change by position.

And that doesn't mean there are "rotating villains" just that the realities of local politics and individual Senator values mean that some might vote differently. Senator A above isn't giving "cover" for Manchin to vote for the bill.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Disappointing, but not entirely surprising to see Biden claim that they wont be able to pass abortion-rights legislation. I guess i'm surprised to see him say this so close to the elections

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna57038

Well, maybe next election cycle they'll get around to it :effort:

Not sure how you want them to codify abortion rights legislation when they might not control the House.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Again, the problem isn’t the House. They don’t have enough votes in the Senate

The problem is currently the Senate. After the new Congress gets seated the problem will likely be the House and may also still be the Senate depending on Georgia's runoff, due to the filibuster.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

They control the house for the next couple months, no?
They do. Why do you think the outcome will be different from the last time they tried and two Democratic Senators did not vote to repeal the filibuster.?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The Senate will still be a problem regardless of the outcome in Georgia unless you think one of Manchin or Sinema can be magically flipped.

Maybe. Unlikely, but maybe. Certainly more possible than both. But also pointless since without the House it doesn't matter.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

WV Dems don't really love Manchin - many of them fall to his left - they just recognize he's the last Democrat capable of winning the seat.

Manchin seems to be a little smarter about how he does his maverick shtick. I've seen fawning press on him from various conservative outlets, portraying him as the guardian against the woke anarcho-bidenist far left, that I don't see for Sinema.

He is also a straight white male.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jesus III posted:

You just want to be outraged. I allow you to continue. If I go someplace dangerous on purpose, that really doesn't like me personally or my country, so that can make money I don't need, with a controlled substance (in that country) I don't expect my country to save me.

What level of income makes it "greedy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dull Fork posted:

That Meijer guy sounds like he had some convictions he stood by. Shame he's still a republican and therefore still a shitbag with poo poo policy positions. (Anti-abortion for example: https://sbaprolife.org/representative/peter-meijer )

Honestly, the fewer 'reasonable' republicans left, the better. It would weaken the eye-roll inducing 'both sides are reasonable' arguments you hear in the media. It'll mean less of an excuse to compromise with the right, because they'll be more mask off bout their fascism than the scheming McConnell type who has reigned for decades. Let them radicalize themselves into a despicable party that is morally repugnant to behold for the large majority of people. Let them radicalize themselves out of power.

If the media is determined to "both sides" everything then no, them becoming more insane as a party won't make them seem less electable, it will just normalize what are now far right positions.