Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
He's really trying to make sure things get violent when he gets indicted. Fully leaning into the Q thing, out in the open.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1573297065492455424?s=20&t=jOyH3MQJZevpWQsuwSFqkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol this would put my client out of business and thus unemploy me. Do it! I hate my job.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Don't know Nebraska politics was he facing a serious challenge or getting out ahead of a scandal? It's odd to give up a gravy train like that, though I guess being dean of a major school is an easier gravy train.

My guess is that he just hates the senate. He's boring as gently caress and a true traditional Conservative, and probably hates whatever the gently caress the party is becoming. Sees a comfy job, takes the opportunity. Although a juicy scandal would be rad as hell.

Edit and after playing Uni president and collecting the salary for half a decade he could probably run for senate again but in Florida if he wanted.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 7, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s just kind of a nonsense-sounding standard that doesn’t seem like it would apply to very many people on earth at all.

Most people's understanding and involvement in politics starts and stops at how it affects them, specifically. Attend a local board meeting for basic traffic changes and stand in awe.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Elon Musk spoke to Putin before tweeting his very dumb idea on how to 'end' the Russian aggression in Ukraine. You can uh, form your own conclusions as to why.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ake44z/elon-musk-vladimir-putin-ukraine

quote:

According to Bremmer, Musk said Putin told him these goals would be accomplished “no matter what,” including the potential of a nuclear strike if Ukraine invaded Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014. Bremmer wrote that Musk told him that “everything needed to be done to avoid that outcome.”

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

OAquinas posted:

So uh, isn't he flirting with Logan Act issues there? Not that rich people ever see consequences for their actions or anything.

Yes. He was also shilling for China re: Taiwan on the same day, lol. Apparently he really needs new investors.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Nancy Pelosi says she is going to punch then president Trump while watching the capital on Jan 6th.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1580712690766712833?s=20&t=6No1a64xhYfTCX9RetupFA

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why would a self-sufficient man or woman want to date anyone like the current modern standard of a man? What we culturally accept men to be is a loving disgrace.

Hate to ask but uh, you may wanna elaborate on this quote that could feature on a "what youtube channel comment section did this originate from" game.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't think of a bigger red flag of institutional rot in Twitter than newly instituting stack ranking in 2022. It's an infamously bad practice in the tech industry, notorious for its longtime use in Microsoft, where its numerous flaws have been very well documented. Throwing Twitter's entire workforce into a crab bucket and only keeping the first 25% to climb out could very well be devastating.

I can't think of a better way to dissuade advertisers than "we are going to turn this into an unusable pile of poo poo the moment we get our hands on it". Can't imagine, if this goes through, that the company will be worth fuckall in 5 years. Imagine when section 230 is at its most imperiled, Musk suggests killing any content moderation. lol.

Also Bannon was just sentenced to 4 months in club fed and a $6500 fine for contempt of court.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

edited because initial tweet was a bit clickbaity

Thomas doing Graham as much of a favor as he can for the moment from the bench, re: testifying in Fulton Co.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1584581011622350853?s=20&t=Myf3WxuStgHlGHSzda0_Gw

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Possibly what the presser is about.

https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1584585023423795213?s=20&t=Myf3WxuStgHlGHSzda0_Gw

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Zophar posted:

It's because the current NE Governor wants to be in the Senate and his handpicked successor can appoint him to the empty seat.

Clarste posted:

University executive positions these days are mostly a way to funnel large amounts of public money into private hands. They probably arranged it for him as friends.

Sure but neither of these explains Florida as the destination, or why they did such a poo poo job in hiding the fact that he was installed, or why he didn't just wait until a few months before the end of his term or whatever.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Whoa.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1585975982032556034?s=20&t=E0-ftSYU2i0SgtnN0UcbAQ

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pretty wild.

Apparently, it wasn't an attempted robbery gone wrong or anything like that.

Motive currently unknown.

He's apparently severely injured, but nothing permanent and expected to eventually make a full recovery. Still probably not great for an almost 83-year old to get beat so much he requires multiple days of hospitalization, though.

If they were going after Nancy, they did a bad job researching. They found out her address, but didn't realize she was in Washington D.C.

With the decades of stuff he has been involved in privately it's possible this wasn't tied to Nancy at all.

Sounds like a disaster for Twitter staff and society in the long run, but probably not huge changes for the average user right away.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1585763155568754688

Worth noting that Vijaya mentioned here was fired like an hour or two later. Apparently Elon didn't like what he heard in this convo despite this revenue VP trying to stay upbeat. Morale at Twitter HQ must be pretty precarious right now; can't imagine it won't tank completely in the coming weeks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

And here's the resultant outcome from this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/FBINewark/status/1588246302189838337?s=20&t=hMurvBCYpY-plhDi5W4OAw

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Click on the Elon tweet for an lol

It has been fact-checked by Twitter

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So what's the chance Trump took a bunch of classified dirt on DeSantis with him as he left office?

https://twitter.com/GabbyOrr_/status/1590069212839825408?s=20&t=jK9qN1F6fdodAwrhGHf51Q

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I went to elementary school with Desantis and have this stupid dirt on him. It's the elementary school poetry he wrote for our school literary magazine. Hope this sinks him in 2024.

Edit: this is the worst snipe.

Who bit who?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fof40yqaW1U

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Crist still got blown out.

As did Clinton after she clobbered Trump in debates.

It's long been known that Debates don't shift opinions.

It wouldn't be DeSantis' debate skills that would doom him, it'd be his questionable ability to generate Trump-level enthusiasm and his weird unlikable prick personality. It's also unknown if his 3rd World Iron fist dictator schtick will actually play on the national stage.

Regardless, Trump clearly is afraid of him. And the Midterms aren't helping. But don't take my word for it.

But since Trump is almost certainly running, DeSantis would have to beat Trump in the primary (which apparently people seem to think is somewhat unlikely) if he were to face Biden. Which leaves us back at DeSantis just softening up Trump.

But who knows, maybe we'll get a nightmare scenario and Trump and DeSantis will unite. Doubtful Trump's ego would allow it, but the Harris/DeSantis debates would be uniformly terrible.

DeSantis is short with weird stubby little arms and can't wear a suit well. This is ultimately what would really doom him nationally.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

He's just trying to claim that Twitter had a bunch of completely obvious wasteful spending (and, by implication, that the previous management were way more incompetent than he is), and so it's good that he's making massive cuts.

Cutting back on employee perks such as free meals is a sign of desperation and belt-tightening, so he's trying to frame it as a completely ridiculous expense that no one was even benefiting from. That way he looks like the smart CEO finding totally wasted money in the budget, instead of the flailing CEO desperately cutting everything he can to try to stave off a cash flow crisis.

Incidentally, current Twitter employees have suggested that he's including the rent that Twitter pays on the square footage of the kitchen as part of the cost of providing meals.
https://twitter.com/nickrw/status/1592083472805687297

Not that it's particularly needed but I run a private restaurant serving employees at a tech HQ and can confirm that the number is on its face hilarious. My cost out the door before any revenue/subsidy is about $9 per person - food, labor, direct costs like credit card fees etc - per meal.

A buddy of mine ran an extremely high-cost/high-end facility for a tech company in California, at least on par with whatever Twitter is doing, and costs per day were something like $20 per transaction fully subsidized by the employer - out the door for like, made to order omelets with special local ingredients at breakfast and fish/steak at lunch among a broads selection of other things. This also included a high salary cost for a kitchen at a private facility - dietician, execu and sous chef, GM, catering manage plus hourly employee team. Even tacking on kitchen/facility costs (water, natural gas, electric, preventative maintenance, regular maintenance and repairs, custodial service for the dining room, etc) that $400 number is so hilariously stupid.

edit I could actually see the cost per person served being over $400 without including real estate as well, if they were serving very few people and Twitter agreed to continue paying a bunch kitchen managerial salaries, anticipating more people coming back to HQ and needing a ready-to-go kitchen when that happened. My client did this for quite a while and we probably ballooned to $60-$70 per meal served for a few weeks as people were coming back to the office, because both my and my chef's salaries were being paid while we worked to get things back up and running, but were only serving a few dozen people a day. A lot of corporate dining facilities did this. But I really doubt he's being this nuanced.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 14, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why wouldn’t you include facility rent as part of the total cost for the food service though?

If you are offering food in your facility, you already rented or bought the kitchen. The cost is baked in. If you stop offering food, the cost of owning or renting the kitchen doesn't go away. If Elon is including the sq foot of Twitter HQ in that number, the cost doesn't go down because he stops offering free food. It's still there.

Typically, if a corporation wants private dining for their employees, they contract out the work to one of 3 major food service contractors in the world - Sodexo, Aramark or Compass Group (or local/regional companies less often). Larger entities like school districts or very large universities might choose to do it in-house but it usually makes sense to use a contractor as they will be turn-key and also you have someone you can hold accountable that isn't within your organization if they suck. None of these entities are going to pay for your real estate costs to come make and sell (or serve subsidized) food for you.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe you wouldn't, to Elong that probably sounds like a genius move

No joke I have heard of some business dining locations that shut down during COVID that rented out their kitchens to ghost kitchen services lol. No money was made. Also some government facilities were using their kitchen and serving areas for storage until very recently (it was the IRS).

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 14, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

why bring up the house of representatives if the legislation cant pass the senate?

i dont ever expect the democrats to codify it even if presented with a supermajority, just as they've failed to do so in the past, but it's discouraging to hear the president go "well that's the ballgame, guess its a holding pattern for the next two years" even after democrat voters turned out in better-than-expected numbers

Really feels like you don't understand both the current and future makeup of the house and senate, and how laws get passed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Old Surly posted:

Is Trumpo for sure announcing tonight?

This is the only live stream I can find. It is a garbage media outlet but it's supposed to have the stream. Supposed to start shortly.

https://www.rsbnetwork.com/video/watch-live-president-donald-j-trump-makes-special-announcement-at-mar-a-lago-11-15-22/

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Can't imagine anyone who isn't a completely reddit-brained redpilled psychopath signed that dumb thing. Even the most desperate workers would probably take 3 months' severance to jettison out of the burning ship.

I don't think twitter is going to shut down longterm anytime soon but I can't imagine what will be born from the ashes of this employee exodus is anything more than truth social by another name. poo poo is gonna be weird and gross fast.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Morrow posted:

Some folks have their visas tied to their employment.

Ya just read that in Mike Isaac's reporting. That.. sucks, I think.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1593464458394812417?s=20&t=wRIl3nmm302HkNlQ1bqSOA

quote:

People who decided to stay still believed in Twitter’s mission of giving people a voice or had visas tied to their jobs or other personal reasons, two people said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/technology/twitter-elon-musk-ftc.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

This was discussed on the most recent Chapo, but once the big auto companies start putting out electric vehicles (and they will be cheaper than Teslas) on a regular basis, Tesla is hosed

It's already happening. A bunch of the big names have pretty affordable EVs for the 2023 purchasing year and is probably the #1 reason Tesla's stock has dropped so much. In 5 years it's going to be worth a fraction of a fraction of what it is today because the big manufacturers won't need to charge you $50k for an EV with pointless touchscreens, trim that falls off/fails right off the factory floor, proprietary chargers and exploding batteries.

What the hell good is a $50k tesla you are waitlisted for to consumers when GM or Toyota can sell you an EV for $30k, without exploding batteries, with quality trim, etc? The twitter purchase only exacerbates its freefall.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How far away is Big Auto from actually pumping out electric cars on a Tesla scale?

Tesla estimates it will produce 2mil EV cars in 2023. Ford alone estimates it will produce 600k EVs including trucks which Tesla has famously... not delivered on. Tesla is really on the precipice of being completely eclipsed by the rest of the market in both price and availability, and their only value add - self-drive - is worthless.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 18, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Madkal posted:

I live a province (Canadian here) where Tesla's are ubiquitous as gently caress. The people driving them aren't doing it because they are electric but because it's kind of a status symbol. When BMW or Mercs or whatever start making electric cars as quickly and as expensive as Tesla's then I can see them taking a hot here. I don't think Tesla is worrying about the coming of Nissan Leafs.

Their stock price was and is tied up with the potential for their tech to completely dominate the car market, though. Because autonomous driving is dead in the water, they will not maintain their stock price anywhere near what it's even at right now as just a luxury high-end EV - especially when the car itself is riddled with manufacturing defects. They are absolutely worried about Nissan Leafs.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

West knoxville is ground zero for the kind of place that would consider a Tesla a status symbol 10 years after release. if it's something someone working a commercial insurance gig given to them by their father in law can get underwater on, they'll be all over it. This vid could be from Turkey creek and it wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1563654605413703680?s=20&t=EgxuqlPWlVtXumjkcKCpkQ

Cedar Bluff rise up!

I lived just off Kingston Pike for about 2 years and will endorse your sentiment. I even knew an insurance adjustor dating my boss that bought a tesla. lol. lmao.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

White House pausing student loan repayment until June 30th or 60 days after a final disposition of the current lawsuit. By then we will be in full-on presidential campaign season. Loan repayments are never starting back up lmao.

https://twitter.com/nancook/status/1595149097404870657?s=20&t=ByZVyt3mLTjTgpvgwQiiJQ

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

:catstare:

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1595519454900805649?s=20&t=lJR_m1Bi_1lnA1d0NQN3Jg

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

After many hours of prayer and family discussion I am asking everyone to give me $5.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Yeah, I know. Even though it was probably the right thing to do, it still feels kind of funny/crazy that they traded someone named "The Merchant of Death" for a WNBA player who got arrested for a vape cartridge.

Brutal, but sadly probably true.

What's the likelihood this dude will continue his previous career? Every CIA-esque TV show I've ever watched convinces me he would be seen as tainted after spending so much time in US custody. Just doesn't seem like there was any risk here.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Okay the last bit explains it then, shame he wasn't one of those ethical arms dealers. Griner being freed from her obviously horseshit spy game charges is absolutely worth the population of death merchants going up like 0.01% even assuming he's not too much of a liability to ever go back into it, imho

I think it's reasonable to assume that The Merchant of Death has more tracking chips under his skin than your local Humane Society and will be functionally useless in his old gig for the foreseeable future.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Yeah, it's this.

She is basically playing chicken now and saying "If you run Ruben Gallego against me, it will probably split the vote and give the seat to a Republican. Since he can't primary me now, you can't keep me off the ballot."

She says that she "intends to keep her committee assignments" which is essentially saying she will still caucus with the Dems. That means this is entirely about attention and trying to position herself for re-election.

According to her former staffers, she legitimately believes she is going to be the first female President and first independent President by "making both sides mad" at her. This sort of supports that because she is actively taking steps to make sure she is on the ballot in 2024.

I think her timing was wrong on this play. This gives AZ Dems a full 2 years to just double-barrel blast her to poo poo, with interview clips she herself is generating, instead of scrambling 6 months out from election day to convince the electorate that she sucks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Levitate posted:

I'd have to wonder if the Democratic Party would rather take the risk of a split ticket and losing the seat than deal with her for another term. I doubt they like to be "blackmailed" like this and by someone who's already shown they won't support the party's agenda.
e: plus if she's really that unpopular with the people who voted her in there's certainly be a big risk of her not beating a halfway decent republican challenger even if there was no dem challenger as well.

Might come down to what control of the senate looks like. If it's a question of 46, or 47 dem seats and not a question of 49 or 50, they might just let her fail.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Rigel posted:

A lot of it is going to depend on who the GOP nominates. We are going to need to hope for some crazyman (or crazywoman) far right wing poo poo to win the nomination. If they nominate a smiling, harmless, well-spoken standard Republican and Sinema insists on running 3rd party, then we may be screwed.

It's going to be Kari Lake, Sinema is going to siphone off like 15% of the R vote and Gallego will coast to victory.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

She's going to run for president lol.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So when are the full returns just going to be posted online?

I'd give it by EOB Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Going through the returns report now.

A lot of this could technically be cleared up by Trump providing the substantiating paperwork and isn't direct proof of anything on its own, but all of it together is pretty suspicious and his attorney has been fighting the IRS's requests that he needs to provide substantiating documents for them for the last 7 years.

Fraud. You've described fraud.