Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Arizona banned almost all abortions under a law from 1864

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1573484888447131670

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Landlords will literally let houses and apartments sit empty for decades rather than lower prices or rents.

Vacant housing is disproportionately in dying rust belt towns and rural areas where property values are low. The "proactive measures" to deal with housing costs are building more of it - waving a magic wand to eliminate landlords wouldn't fix it because the metro areas where people want to live still wouldn't have as many places to live as they do people who want to live there.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

I'm not sure what your point is. If the San Francisco government eminent domained some of those and gave them to homeless people it would fix that problem, but it would not do anything to fix the housing shortage as there would still be many more people who want to live in San Francisco than there are places for them to live. The original post I responded to was about housing costs, not homelessness.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
the argument is that the private FFEL lenders could sue and get the entire student debt cancellation order voided

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

cgeq posted:

I don't think those two are indistinguishable. There's a difference between a terrorist video being uploaded on to a server and then sitting there until someone searches for it by name, versus pushing the terrorist video in front of users because the algorithm detects it's getting great engagement.

The hard part here is creating an algorithm that performs the task of sorting videos while never serving a terrorist recruitment video. Like showing the newest videos first doesn't work because there's no guarantee the newest video isn't from ISIS.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

cgeq posted:

Are you sure? Cable TV seems much better than Youtube. I mean, maybe it doesn't prevent the creation, but it should hobble its ability to spread and snowball and thus make it easier to moderate.

Fox News is on cable. It's obviously impossible to verify but I would be shocked if youtube recommending Jordan Peterson videos to viewers who were not already watching right wing content had radicalized anywhere near as many people as Tucker Carlson.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Re Warnock/Walker race, doesn't Walker's old girlfriend remaining anonymous seriously limit any potential impact her story could have? I mean the accusers in the Roy Moore election came public and he still almost won.

It's not really a one to one comparison. Roy Moore was in Alabama so being a known pedophile who was banned from malls for being a pedophile was barely enough to make him lose, and he lost a special election with low turnout where the Republicans just didn't show up. We already knew Walker's election would be close, he's against an incumbent, and Warnock was already (slightly) favored before this.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
One thing to remember is that most people aren't following politics closely. Lots of things sound weird when you imagine someone who knows what every candidate says about every issue and thinks all of the national issues are important, but make more sense if the undecided voters (or people who switched parties, or whatever else) just don't know very much about politics.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Other than the anti-white bullshit, she's 100% correct.

you think the Democrats are run by a cabal of (((woke ideologues))) who are hostile to people of faith, want to defund the police, and want open borders?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

selec posted:

Edit: I do think politics is in general more fun for conservatives because they can imagine some classes of people they’re ok with having violence and misfortune on, so being disingenuous and pretending to care about a rape victim once in a while is just like a fun mini-game for them, because the stakes are nonexistent. For liberals that actually believe the stuff they say the cognitive dissonance must be much more present and difficult to manage, I’d guess.

I think that very few people who voted for Joe Biden think he is a rapist - in this random poll 16% of Democratic primary voters thought the sexual assault allegations against him were credible (and a large majority said they had heard about the allegations), and that was from May 2020 so there were six more months with no real press coverage before the election.
It's the same for Republicans, most of them don't think sexual assault allegations against Trump are credible.

For comparison this random poll shows 73% of Democrats saying sexual assault allegations against Andrew Cuomo were credible, 51% saying he should be impeached, and 61% of Democrats approving of his performance as governor, so it's not just voters automatically rejecting allegations against people they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
it was very disappointing when the postal service boarded a yacht in open water to arrest Steve Bannon and then Trump pardoned him