Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
when's the government gonna give me more money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tibalt posted:

On a different note, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco released a study attributing up to 60% of the increase in the cost of housing to remote work:

This has sparked a lot of articles with click bait-y titles and 'The Fed is lying, it's greedy landlords' hot takes on Twitter. Setting that aside, the evidence in the study does seem pretty strong - there's a strong correlation between the areas that had a larger share of remote work before the pandemic (indicating that the area has a remote-friendly industry already) and the increase in house prices after 2019. An important thing that I think a lot of the hot takes and articles are missing is that the Fed isn't arguing that we should return to the office to make home prices go down, or even implying it. Rather, the study indicates that remote work is going to persist and is going to shape the housing market for the foreseeable future.

My take is that while increasing rates are going to decrease the demand for homes, the realignment caused by Covid-19 is going to offset that and there's still going to be a permanent increase in demand. We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

Here's the thing: The people who moved because of work from home... what happened to their previous locations? They don't just disappear. Those homes should not have gone up in price because they don't meet the demand for work from home. And yet they have gone up anyway.

James Garfield posted:

I'm not sure what your point is. If the San Francisco government eminent domained some of those and gave them to homeless people it would fix that problem, but it would not do anything to fix the housing shortage as there would still be many more people who want to live in San Francisco than there are places for them to live. The original post I responded to was about housing costs, not homelessness.

And that's why we need a vacancy tax. Limit the window an investor can profit off a property by adding risk to long-term ownership of an empty home.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mendrian posted:

You've just described every neighborhood in Seattle!

But especially Ballard.

It's kinda sad, the only real historical record of the Ballard area are from Almost Live skits.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm beginning to think the chuds really do have narrative control if we're relitigating Smollett again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not too concerned with what happens after twitter collapses.

I am concerned about what will happen to all that information that flowed from twitter. While I imagine anything remotely important will be remembered on a wiki somewhere, the details that existed on twitter might be lost. That sort of information erodes in time as people grow up or forget, and a new generation comes with only a story told of what happened before. Without the literal context, it gets harder to believe the past existed the way it did.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lol that guy got fired for answering Elon truthfully and respectfully but also proving him wrong.

https://twitter.com/dankim/status/1592121646697037827

The comparisons to our forums grows ever apt. I did not expect twitter to have that much technical debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Push El Burrito posted:

Wonder how sexy a dance has to be before it becomes prurient.

The day conservatives ban latino style dances is the day their party loving dies.