Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dick Trauma posted:

The right-wing outrage cycle is running on fumes, but at least it's entertaining. I wonder why Republican voters never seem to get tired of it. It seems exhausting!

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1574222109659856901?s=20&t=7hMUVz6q0vDmWFubVoV9dQ

I'm sorry does the guy who divorced his dying wife in the hospital have opinions on people being mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Twincityhacker posted:

Not actually US news, but saw the news about the school shooting in Izhevsk and it took a minute or two to sink in that "Oh, that's in Russia!" and not in the US.

I like to think it's because of the lock that the US has on mass shootings ( the US has had 17 in 2022 vs Russia's 4 ) and not centerisim. ( with a dash of brain fog. )

17? LOL, it's way more than that

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
First they came for the Instagram credit card benefit hackers.....

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
One time I had a cucumber that was spoiled and I didn't notice and whatever mold that was on it destroyed my taste buds for about 2 hrs.

But also I like sweet pickles.

In conclusion, cucumbers are a land of contrasts.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 29, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I got vacant lots on major streets in my neighborhood that some rich person bought a million years ago, waiting for the neighborhood to gentrify enough to develop the space.

And that's in Los Angeles.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What an incredible own goal.

Along with gas prices going back up, just amazing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kalit posted:

Why are y’all focused on optics over actual outcomes that will best help those who need it?

because with the attempts to change election officials and the current state of democracy in the US, the fall election is hugely important and may end up in a generational fascist takeover

the dems already are facing huge headwaters due to fundamentals like the economy and inflation and small things are likely to be decisive.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Solkanar512 posted:

You also blamed dems for rising gas prices.

Where did I do that?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Solkanar512 posted:

It's right there.

Why else are you grouping the two issues together with no further clarification?

Because I was listing things that would be bad for Dems electoral chances in November?

I've talked about inflation too, and they didn't cause that either.

Kalit posted:

So if you want to focus on that and don't care about the actual outcome, what's better for optics: 1) a good chance that the $10k public student loan relief is stayed by the courts by November or 2) most everyone is still going to get the $10k public student loan relief with a small percentage that remains up in the air?

Both are very bad and would be very bad for democrats and a pretty serious own-goal as far as optics and messaging.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kalit posted:

So..... I'm confused about what you think a good (or not bad) route would have been. Stated from the start that FFEL/Perkins loans weren't eligible, preventing those who had consolidated before today from qualifying? Not trying to fulfill the $10k student loan forgiveness campaign promise at all? Or a more risky forgiveness plan that would have probably gotten stayed by the courts before midterms? Or something else?

Probably not heavily advertise a risky benefit that had a good chance of failing, right before the election, in multiple ways?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kalit posted:

Where did Biden heavily advertise that privately-held loans would be covered by this $10k forgiveness plan? Even articles published a few days ago specified that they are not eligible for forgiveness, such as https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/which-loans-qualify-student-loan-forgiveness-2022-9

I mean the overall debt forgiveness.

This is all playing out very similarly to the "vote for us and get $2k....wait why did you expect $2k" situation.

It's a messaging failure to talk heavily on loan forgiveness and then say much later "oh btw a bunch that we thought might be forgiveable were not sorry"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kalit posted:

Take your optics with not caring about actual outcomes and gently caress off with them.

To clarify my frustration with your bullshit responses: if they went with the message being 100% for sure accurate, nothing would have been forgiven for fear of lawsuits. If they went with trying to be ~99% accurate, then everyone who had consolidated privately held/federally backed loans before today wouldn't have been helped. A balance has to be struck and I would rather people actually be helped than fear mongering of something, something,

Hey so is "Jaxyon doesn't care about actual outcomes" a thing I wrote, or is that a thing that you came up with in your head in order to get the dopamine going and feel some righteous anger at a simpler argument than what was written?

~~~~~~~

edit: To start a new subject:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1575561167476498432

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 29, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Crain posted:

Butlerian Jihad.

Return the internet to the days of Angelfire, Geocities, and Usenet.

Never underestimate the influence of the Webring

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hey so in case you were worried there wasn't systemic sexual misconduct and toxic leadership in every women's sport, I have terrible news for you

https://www.kslaw.com/attachments/000/009/931/original/King___Spalding_-_Full_Report_to_USSF.pdf?1664809048

quote:

On October 2, 2021, the U.S. Soccer Federation (“USSF” or “the Federation”), the official governing body of the sport of soccer in the United States, retained Sally Q. Yates and King & Spalding LLP to conduct an independent investigation into allegations of abusive behavior and sexual misconduct in women’s professional soccer.

Our investigation has revealed a league in which abuse and misconduct—verbal and emotional abuse and sexual misconduct—had become systemic, spanning multiple teams, coaches, and victims. Abuse in the NWSL is rooted in a deeper culture in women’s soccer, beginning in youth leagues, that normalizes verbally abusive coaching and blurs boundaries between coaches and players. The verbal and emotional abuse players describe in the NWSL is not merely “tough” coaching. And the players affected are not shrinking violets. They are among the best athletes in the world. They include members of the U.S. Women’s National Team (“National Team”), veterans of multiple World Cup and Olympic tournaments, and graduates of legendary NCAA Division I soccer programs. In well over 200 interviews, we heard report after report of relentless, degrading tirades; manipulation that was about power, not improving performance; and retaliation against those who attempted to come forward. Even more disturbing were the stories of sexual misconduct. Players described a pattern of sexually charged comments, unwanted sexual advances and sexual touching, and coercive sexual intercourse.

Teams, the League, and the Federation not only repeatedly failed to respond appropriately when confronted with player reports and evidence of abuse, they also failed to institute basic measures to prevent and address it, even as some leaders privately acknowledged the need for workplace protections.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Clarste posted:

I'm gonna say that algorithms are by and large a net negative on society and I'd be pleased if the Supreme Court banned them (well, made their use create liability, which is effectively the same thing for these companies). But I have no idea if that's the direction they're going to take.

It's a supreme court that is currently a 6-3 fascist majority. It's technically possible that they might accidentally do something that benefits society but i don't know if it's likely.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah the last 14 times I've almost hit a pedestrian it has been my fault for not looking well enough turning right on a red.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
holy poo poo the crime bill guy is pardoining weed possession

that's really good in a vacuum but boy is it weird coming from him

editing in the actual comic to spite the posters below me

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 6, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's taking an admin job as head of the University, so neither.

Don't know Nebraska politics was he facing a serious challenge or getting out ahead of a scandal? It's odd to give up a gravy train like that, though I guess being dean of a major school is an easier gravy train.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
yeah that's why i'm asking because, because i thought that was a lifetime seat too

you can make more as a senator indirectly than you'll make as a univisity president directly, i'd imagine

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Epic High Five posted:

lol state government here has been refusing to legalize it in any form or fashion citing that they're just waiting for Federal to do it, wonder what excuse they'll switch to now

It's still not federally legal that would take congress.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

It's just virtue signaling in favor of racism.

Kanye wore a white lives matter shirt
Elon is going to let the racist post on twitter again
Trump is going to make the non-racists pay

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ravenfood posted:

Evangelical Christians have little cultural impact? What?

They're always always the victims and they want to be oppressed so bad

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1578490204964687872

A bit more detail on where Trump is claiming privilege in the MAL seizures.

like it's great that he's claiming that but he's not the executive so he can't actually do that, right?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Twincityhacker posted:

Welp. Hopefully if a strike happens it will be seen as "greedy excutives" vs. "the agreived workers." =/

Right now is in general a good time to make a strong labor stand but also this is going to get blasted as unions driving up inflation or shortages.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I mean we have a bunch of examples that show that Russia has tried to gain assets or use people in US politics including the Mueller investigation, and we've had some reps who were super duper big on promoting Russia issues for some reason. (Rohrbachre)

But people try to minimize it as liberal nonsense.

Now, was russia actually influential in US politics, or is it kind of sideshow and we're doing fine with fascism all on our own? That's where the real discussion is.

I'd say that it's mostly we're doing it on our own but not for lack of trying on Putin's part.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yeah! Not just elites either. Despite four years of defund the police and me too, leftists voted for a rapist/cop ticket en masse. Although I’ll posit that the term “wokeism” is inherently cringe, the fact is that most regular people have sublimated the hollow utility of the movement already.

You think the people who support defunding police were big supporters of biden?

Mainstream democrats are at best center, some are rightwing. Its just that "the right" in this country is mostly waaaaaaay right

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

pencilhands posted:

What exactly is their motivation for harming their own community like that?

Control.

If you can't function outside the community you can be used in all sorts of ways for the people in power. Low wages, social shunning to keep you in line, block voting to keep things running the way they want it to run, etc.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bloody Pom posted:

You jest, but hipster restaurants that do poo poo like this are depressingly common.

LOL no that's a play on minimalist haute cuisine

Hipster food is some sort of taco bell take on poutine served to you in a mini cast iron skillet

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Taken into custody without being killed via bomb robot?

At least we know he's white.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
^^ yup

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

nobody gets killed with "bomb robot" unless you mean a unmanned aerial vehicle aka drone

police have done well brinign mass shooting suspects into custody as of late, well either that or that wait till they kill themself like Uvalde LOL. But seriously - your comment is very '2020' and doesn't really reflect modern policing practices.

2020: Not modern times?

Okay

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mustard Iceman posted:

does SNL have two people that can make this sketch or does Kenan Thompson have to run back and forth on-stage?

Of note: Walker also said that he was against insulin price caps because people with diabetes should just eat healthier.

They got a black guy to replace Chris Redd

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

haveblue posted:

What entity would you consider authorized to express the desires of Haiti as a whole?

I know that in the US, the country is united as one, behind the president.

It's probably the same elsewhere.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

So what's the approach the international community should take? By all accounts the situation has deteriorated precipitously. 'Sorry but we can't help you with the problems we helped cause, because we'd just be self serving about it' is the same conclusion as the idiot I was arguing with on YouTube comments who was complaining about how 'we're always giving handouts and bailing Haiti out.' Yes I'm aware of the awful history, but what now?

If you're aware of the awful history, what is your informed opinion on how to move forward there? I'm not as informed, so I'd love your educated take.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This is a very fair question and i wish i had a ready answer or strategy i could confidently advocate. Unfortunately, i would not consider myself particularly well informed. I had the pleasure and distress of reading some of Paul Farmer's work on Haiti a while back, his book 'the Uses of Haiti' was a great starting place at understanding the historic currents and dynamics that have underpinned the horrific and cynical treatment of the Haitian people, but it was published in 1994 and so much has happened since then. I've tried to stay somewhat engaged with the topic but my knowledge of the situation as it is now consists of pretty broad strokes and zero expertice.

Would you guess you are more, or less, informed than the folks disagreeing with you?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
A great way for folks to indicate whether they care about Haiti beyond scoring a point in whatever political stance they champion would be for them to give a detailed nuanced view of what is going on there and what they think should be done.

(not referring to Staluigi)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

selec posted:

I said it before, if it is that important to intervene, let Cuba run it.

If the US really cares about the welfare of Haitians, letting Cuba run an intervention wouldn’t be an issue. They have tons of experience delivering genuine humanitarian aid without the weight of the hegemon behind them, they don’t give a poo poo which international NGOs are demanding bribes or gatekeeping, and it would do a poo poo-ton to improve relationships between the US, Cuba and Haiti.

I’d say the US government opposing this reflexively, as a poster suggested they would, is a strong indicator that they didn’t have the best intentions for Haiti at the center of their planning.

I think the US has a ton of money and very little to no skill or success at adequate humanitarian interventions that aren’t also doing double-duty as hegemonic discipline, and so to break this track record of bad results and bad intentions, we should fund an intervention run by a people famous in the region for doing it right: selflessly.

The fact that this reads as a joke to many folks is just an example of how well propaganda works, IMO.

Do you have any suggestions that a have a snowballs chance in hell of happening or are we just having a fun theorycrafting time?

I agree that this would be a good idea but also it's definitely not going to happen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

selec posted:

Get lateral, think outside the box! We are experiencing a real When The Only Tool You Have Is Complete Economic and Military Domination, Every Problem Starts To Look Like Grenada thing going on in here.

Let’s fire up those thinking caps, look at the failures of the past, make a big box on the whiteboard that is labeled NOT THESE, and write all the things we tried previously inside that box.

So, cool, going back to something that's actually doable, what do you think would work?

I think we all are pretty wary about US intervention, but also probably somebody needs to intervene. What does that look like? I think it's a very complex problem and I don't have any easy solutions.

I realize Deus ex Cuba is enticing but there's more or less zero chance of happening here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

selec posted:

Ok but what’s stopping us from doing the Cuba thing? It’s us! We are the problem.

So let’s just take the thing we’re good at (having too much money) and pay people good at the part we are bad at.

I realize that this is nearly inconceivable because Americans cannot really process the idea of getting out of the rest of the world’s way, obviously not an issue I’m really struggling with, but I’m seeing a lot of arguments leaning on our insecurity as a nation about a tiny island ninety miles off our shore.

Did you people internalize that, or are you just expressing a sense of powerlessness but explaining it away as “realism” of an acceptable form of self-defeat.

We are all just spitballing here, if literally the only answer to this idea is “Well we are way too deep into decades of assassination attempts and dogshit propaganda about Cuba to turn back now,” why are you even posting?

I’ve got one good idea, I haven’t heard a better one, I’ve just heard a lot of “but we have humanitarian intervention at home” with a picture of cholera stats and centuries of Haiti being robbed being the intervention we have at home.

Yeah I'm just wondering if anyone has any workable solutions, because I don't.

I don't know that anyone else here does either.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Koos Group posted:

I'm beginning to believe it would be prudent to have a thread for in-depth discussion the ongoing crisis in Haiti, so if anyone would like to create one with an informative OP, I encourage them to.

It's probably gonna be a slow thread because I don't know that many people have an in-depth understanding of Haiti's issues or solutions to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Clarste posted:

I will not pretend to know much about Haiti, but I think the point is that it is exceptionally bad right now, and to pretend otherwise for the sake of making some kind of historical jab at post-colonialism is incredibly offensive to the people suffering right now. IE: Regardless of what the US has done to them in the past, there have been times where Haiti was better off than it is now, and they would like to return to those times if possible.

I was gonna post but this was nicer than what I was typing.