Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

lol if DeSantis found a death note and gets caught because he keeps using the default kill. christ atleast do it like Russia and just always do something with windows.

I'm reminded of an old lil fanfic that I consider canon; he decides to mix it up with 'death by potato chip'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd be surprised if anyone's ever actually been charged with incitement without being leftist, anti-racist or maybe the most embarassing kind of racist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tibalt posted:

The interest rate hikes are going reduce buyers' ability to afford housing, I'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing that a fundamental change in the market has occurred and anyone expecting prices to drop back to pre-2019 levels or what prices would have been without the pandemic are going to be disappointed. It'll slow the trend, but interest rate hikes alone aren't going to reverse it. Either we collective accept high housing costs, or governments have to take proactive measures to deal with it.

On the latter, lol. Just reminded of that article about how China's going to collapse because they're building too many houses and it's making house prices plummet.

Landlords will literally let houses and apartments sit empty for decades rather than lower prices or rents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Indeed. Neoliberalism means that Westerners genuinely don't even know what infrastructure is anymore or that it can be built. They think it must be some perfidious Oriental trick or insane commie wastefulness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is absolutely no downside to loving over property speculators. Houses are for living in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

and yet the DOJ has indicated that they wont prosecute. Maybe they have access to information of which you are unaware.

Patience, young padawan, all will be revealed in time ;)

Just like Jimmy Saville.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really hard to say at this point. Like, 'people with the proper privilege and power can and should do whatever they want, rules are for the untermenschen' is a key and increasingly unsubtle part of the Republican platform, and one that their base wholeheartedly agrees with as long as they're riled up enough.

Merely pointing at Republicans about how bad they are clearly works to a point, it's one of the reasons Biden won, but even at best it's not a sustainable strategy on its own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As ever a key part is to identify what the problem actually is. YouTube continuing to host Nazi indoctrination material to the point where the algorithm actually promotes it to create more Nazis is the problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You miss my point of identifying what the problem is. The Nazi youtubes should all be deleted and their creators identified, investigated and prosecuted as terrorists. That is entirely a different problem from the Amazon algorithm identifying and recommending item combinations used for suicide.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I doubt it's the algorithms that made Bernie Sanders popular on social media, it's because that is the modern way of communication about ideas and news that is of interest to the people using it which the mainstream media ignores and/or actively suppresses.

Ascribing literally everything to the algorithm seems like deliberate reductionism in bad faith, at best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Russia tried to have nice things and the whole world teamed up to make sure they didn't. Of course they gave up on politics. That said, Russia pretty much is where most of the Western world is on course for with neoliberalism turning into outright kleptocracy as colonialism comes home; see also the UK.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Isn't Russia the country where its people are described as resoundingly politically apathetic? I don't see how you can claim that Americans are the ones with no comprehension of basic politics, even when you're not comparing them to Russia. Americans are extremely active in their political systems at every level.

Being very active in politics does not at all correlate to having an effective understanding or comprehension of politics, this should be extremely clear by now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s just kind of a nonsense-sounding standard that doesn’t seem like it would apply to very many people on earth at all.

Donald Trump.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

Really, really important to note that the only reason Alex Jones is getting hosed up by the courts is because he refused to play the game. Further, he refused to even let his lawyers play the game.

Plenty of lovely horrible people will do what AJ did, and worse, and if they keep their loud mouthed hateful bigot poo poo to just the public realm while letting scumbag lawyers lie the right lies and maintain kayfabe about us being a functional society they'll skate by just fine.

Jones is getting hosed up because he broke decorum so hard the system was forced to do something. He ended up with a default judgement for just not doing anything, at all, for years. It would have been trivial to play along and let the parents get single digit percentages of this judgement, then keep shilling boner pills for hundreds of millions of profit.

Been said that you can really tell the level at which the right wing talking heads actually still believe their bullshit right when all the radio shock jocks started dropping from Covid. Jones has gotten away with it for so long that he genuinely believes it and won't stop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone realised 'hipster' is just 'upper class millennial'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Victar posted:

I get that we, the US, want what's best for us. A Haiti overrun by gangs that rape, murder, and extort is not good for us.

What makes me think that US intervention will turn out better this time?

We're not violating Haiti's sovereignty. We've been asked through official channels to intervene.

We'll have at least some support from the people currently being raped, murdered, extorted, and terrorized by gangs.

And yes, I do have a flicker of optimism left that the US can learn from its past mistakes. Sometimes, we can learn. Not all of the time.

Yes, I do have a flicker of hope that President Biden is not completely incompetent. He did end the war in Afghanistan, even if it was ended in a sloppy way and with a war crime (the drone bombing of an aid worker and his family) that was never prosecuted. I'm convinced that Biden doesn't want to keep troops in Haiti any longer than necessary.

The interventions do not decrease the amount of rape and murder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kalit posted:

Got a source for this claim regarding current day Haiti?

Awfully specific phrasing there.

The last time the blue helmets were there they raped underage girls on an industrial scale. Or maybe that was the time they introduced a cholera epidemic.

'Intervention' in Haiti is and continues to be solely to punish them for the slave rebellion over a century ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lack of access to resources and mobility is also a big thing. In 2008 and 2009 even younger people suddenly shut out of jobs and stability still had some vestiges of it, but a decade later you're looking at people in their 20s and 30s still living with their parents or with multiple roommates just to scrape by, with unstable low paying jobs or long term unemployed, atomised and isolated and lucky to even have personal transport. It's not even who they're going to gently caress but where.

Also apparently a lot of straight women are apparently having so much trouble finding men that aren't completely awful in so many ways they've given up. Probably gels with how a large and probably growing amount of young men weren't so much raised by their parents as they were kept alive and vaguely presentable when necessary, and have electronics thrown at them to keep them quiet by guardians who otherwise stare blankly at the prospect that he might have problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Just absolutely LOL that a fracking vote took down a Tory government when the same vote probably wouldn't even get Democrat support here.

Kinda lol because I imagine Labour wouldn't even entertain it if there was actually anyone intersted in fracking the UK. From what I've heard, there's absolutely fuckall resources actually worth fracking there, even if they literally paid oil and gas companies to do it there'd probably be zero interest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tibalt posted:

There's been some accusations that TikTok's parent company used the app to track specific American individuals, but I don't know how serious/credible it is.

Still lol that TikTok only exists because Facebook bought and killed Vine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

selec posted:

No, I’m saying racism and racists beliefs are completely orthagonal to the material realities.

Nobody’s opinion about Jewish people moves an iota from this story, because it’s not a story about Jewish culture or life, it’s a story about insular, controlling groups.

Nobody ever worries the nearly identical stories you could write (and sometimes are written) about denim skirt cults or Mormon offshoots would damage the image of those groups, because we all know who the in-group is, and those people, however odd, are in it.

Racists don’t actually look at the stats first and become racist, they look at the stats later to try and make astrology fit the measurements.

On top of this the threat of 'don't make us look bad in front of the majority' is used by said controlling groups for their own controlling purposes. See also Obama and Cosby going 'pull up your pants' again. Actual facts do not matter to bigots, people doing horrible poo poo every day goes without comment unless it can be useful for a narrative that already exists with or without it.

TaintedBalance posted:

Imagine admitting this.

Edit: In all fairness, DnD busts out some banger megaposts or threads that aim to try and rectify this information, but it is in our nature to poo poo post and destroy even the most noble of attempts. It does not help that a lot of this poo poo appears very arbitrary (which it is) without a lot of context and awareness around this poo poo, and we have failed as a democracy in properly educating our populace and building a society in which the time to participate in and be an active part of politics is at a level that can support a true democracy. The materialist reality of capitalism does not allow for this because it could interfere with profits.

Oh, it's not a failure, it's a very successful obfuscation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They've observed Democrats enough to figure that going all Lucy with the football is a completely valid strategy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the problem is that 95% of all security is based on getting people to realize that, succeed or fail, their lives are going to be ruined. when someone has decided they don't care about that, stopping them becomes orders of magnitude more difficult. 'they don't let you post your two-hour screed about superhero movies to the internet in prison' solves the problem for pretty much everyone in this guy's cohort, but for whatever reason, he was built different.

behold, the rarely-seen application of the 'skin in the game' saying to the powerful. politicians under functioning political systems consider creating a bunch of desperate, angry, politically activated people dangerous not because of what it does to the state- it can absorb quite a few assassinations with no meaningful changes- but because they personally do not want to have to worry about dodging bullets on a daily basis. you can't stop people like this from launching attacks. you can only try to stop them from coming to be in the first place.

not a great sign for the future, not gonna lie

And the police are full of these people. The praetorian guard has betrayed their supposed masters before, and it will again. They're chomping at the bit for the excuse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

A judge and/or jury decided it was, but given the US Justice System's long rear end history of whiffing cases involving black people, it's literally a "well, what do YOU think?" matter. There was enough legitimate evidence in both direction and it was a hard call to make because both Smollett and the Chicago PD as an entity were equally massive lying pieces of poo poo.

OJ vibes of trying to frame a guilty man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It should say something about what American police are like that even when they're actually motivated and an actual crime has been committed, the barest hint of actual scrutiny and their target having good lawyers reveals how loving clownshoes they really are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It was a watershed case for chuds being able to discredit legitimate hate crimes because the victim was a dirty scumbag himself, like how they used Amber Heard to destroy the Me Too movement and how they're going to use Helena Taylor and the ongoing fallout from the Bayonetta 3 pay dispute debacle to smother any further pushes for fair compensation for video game voice over work (and fair treatment of people in the video game industry across the board while we're at it).

None of those were necessary for nor actually what caused any of those problems. We drat well know the chuds will invent stories as required and don't need proof, and MeToo was dead and buried long before the Depp trial.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

davecrazy posted:

I'm legitimately sorry I asked.

It really ghouish of the right to try and equate a targeted attempted political assassination with an alleged attack that may or may not of been staged.

Well yeah. That's the point. They want to de-emphasise their obvious encouragement of the motivations of the attacker, same reason the media always goes with the 'lone wolf' narrative and blames school shootings on literally everything but the shooters literally all being white supremacists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Christchurch shooter left a manifesto full of obviously trolling bullshit hoping the media would seize on it, like they were inspired by Spyro the Dragon 3.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is the exact type of thinking I’m talking about.

Jaxyon, in my opinion, is more on the side of caring about the end results because of their stance that one should never hand it to the CPD (and gave great reasons as to why).

Honestly I find the quote above to be odd because it reads more like someone who is in favor of the CPD. If that isn’t the intent, then please clarify.

At the very best, it's the kind of terminal :decorum: poisoning that kinda sums up the problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

Hell, I'm not sure Twitter will even be worth $3 million by the end, unless I'm underestimating how many chuds will jump onboard the train wreck.

Chuds all hate each other and I think actually find each other as obnoxious as everyone else does, there's a reason all the right wing social medias are failures.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

Probably no small amount of ego too. He probably figures that once Elon has hosed things up badly enough that the Un-Blue Checked masses will demand a return to Twitter Classic and he'll be able to get ownership back for a fraction of what he was paid along with a wave of goodwill.

See also Tumblr.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Max posted:

Jack is currently the CEO of Block (formerly Square), so he's really not hurting for money, he probably didn't see selling his stock off as something he had to do.

When you're that rich there's not really a fail condition at all. Hell, even China's Jack Ma who people think was 'disappeared' actually was just downgraded to a mere life of leisure on his yachts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Musk is perpetually chasing the next shiny new toy. He's the dog that's caught the car right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

I don’t think Tesla and Twitter are big enough to do it on their own but if Musk somehow triggers a hosed up failure cascade by destroying Twitter and wrecking Tesla as a result, lol

Some CSPAM exaggeration and we have Twitter as the small domino that leads to the final collapse of capitalism.

There's plenty of cases of rich idiots getting 'shiny new toy' syndrome and running their new businesses into the ground while neglecting the old ones, but never so openly public about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A suspicious amount of emphasis on 'comedy' too, like it's a website dedicated to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, being one of Trump's toadies involves an endless cycle of personal humiliation and abject debasement in order to stay inside the inner circle.

It's poison to someone who's trying to build a strong national profile.

It's the classic dilemma of an inner circle of a narcissist; dealing with someone who treats people as disposable and will casually destroy them for the slightest annoyance, or just if he's bored and they happen to be nearby. Cartoon supervillains are more reasonable and pragmatic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

All trump had to do was say it was a chinese bioweapon and chuds would still be walking around in p100 full face respirators

He pretty much did. Thing is that the messaging is one thing, but chuds literally cannot accept the idea that they have to take personal responsibility or even the minimum level of basic caution in the face of an actual threat.

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you talking about talk radio? Because this is not remotely close to being true. They loving love the dude and one guy I caught today was actually ragging on DOnald for loving this Red Wave up for the GOP, much to my suprise.

Truth. Trump said it because everything has to be about him, plain and simple. No one else, especially another MAGA weirdo, is permitted to be popular or well like without his permission and anyone who is is because of him or something he said/did.

Anyone familiar with pro wrestling understands this, Vince McMahon, Trump's actual friend and possible half-brother, has spent years strangling half his talent in the crib because he can't abide anyone becoming popular without him making it so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mizaq posted:

I wonder if Twitter will last long enough for them to get around to selling red check marks.

Green check marks to round it out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Clarste posted:

I think we just all need to collectively stop entertaining this illusion that rich people have some sort of baseline level of competency or business sense and acknowledge the fact that once you're rich enough it's actually harder to lose money than it is to gain it.

But that's literally against every principle of modern culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought he was thinking of retiring. Is he going to run again?

Nobody retires anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

CBP is an infamously lovely organization to the extent that Trump and his people recognized they could weaponize it for dirty tricks, because it often attracts people chuddy enough that they are eager to become brownshirts and secret police: https://www.yahoo.com/news/operation-whistle-pig-inside-the-secret-cbp-unit-with-no-rules-that-investigates-americans-100000147.html

I would say it actually exceeds how lovely cops can be because cops from everything I can gather are held to higher standards. Let that sink in.

It's not great when the union is openly chuddy on social media. The whole thing is also protected from reform by being firmly planted in the middle of a political nerve center in America.

This is why people talk about how you have to defund the police. You cannot reform them. At best, you need to smash their unions just to start.