Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, if you poke around the guy's tweets, he was pretty clearly well into dgaf territory before the exchange with Musk. This was somebody who decided that giving the boss what he asked for (a public refutation of an uninformed opinion casting blame) wouldn't damage his employment prospects much/enough to offset the satisfaction, and was nigh-certainly already lining/lined something else up.

c.f.
https://twitter.com/softwarejameson/status/1592020681688244226

Maybe the "I like to start around 11" was a little too cheeky. Other than that, I can't see how that exchange was in any way "insubordination", unless the company policy is "Elon Musk is literally infallible". Which, given what I've seen, might very well be official company policy. Otherwise, all I saw was an employee giving a detailed answer about why Twitter had performance problems on Android, and possible solutions to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Papercut posted:

To insure that at least the deal gets passed while still attempting to include the sick leave provisions

No. It's to ensure that the deal gets passed while throwing up a half-hearted fig leaf where they pretend like they're trying to include the sick leave provisions, even though everyone knows they won't.

Papercut posted:

It's literally not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, from the pov of the dem caucus.

A strike might be forcefully prevented through legislation, but that's not going to stop the attrition of workers. People are leaving those jobs at a faster rate than new people are being hired. Until the railroad corporations actually improve working conditions by spending money focused on retaining staff, they're going to continue to hemorrhage workers through retirements or quitting until the system breaks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Gerund posted:

The mechanism is that which fires a machine gun, held by members of the united states armed forces.

I guess they can stick the corpses of the workers back into the trains, but unless something has changed recently, corpses can't drive, maintain, and repair trains. In addition, I also don't think that quitting your job because the government is killing your co-workers carries a penalty of summary execution. So killing the workers seems like it would also be counterproductive to the goal of "keeping the trains moving."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Epic High Five posted:

More strategically it means you won but you can't just bulldoze the losers, that a win doesn't mean anything ends, or both. Our entire democracy as it were is in fact set up to enshrine and empower a large minority.

That might be how democracy is set up, but that's not how the union negotiation is set up, so how democracy is set up is irrelevant.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Shooting Blanks posted:

Looks like Trump's lawyers aren't convinced that all classified materials have been turned over to the DoJ.

If you'll recall, one of Trump's lawyers (or not-lawyers? I can't remember offhand) certified that all classified materials had been turned over prior to the MaL search. This reads to me like it's the lawyers covering their own asses (and Trump's), but I could be wrong.

Of course they weren't all turned over. There were a bunch of empty folders discovered and nothing indicated that all of the contents which were supposed to be in there were found among the materials seized from Mar-a-Lago.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jesus III posted:

She makes 221k a year as a salary. We shouldn't have wasted time saving someone who made a dumb decision at a dumb time.

Should I take it from that statement that you believe that spending 9 years in a penal colony is a reasonable sentence for 0.7 grams of cannabis oil?

What do you think the annual salary cut-off should be for someone taken as a political prisoner, above which the government should do nothing?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jesus III posted:

If they got there through their own greed, sure.

Okay, so the key point is "greed". I am not sure how you can identify that someone you don't know and have never met is acting solely out of greed, and therefore make the not-at-ALL-subjective decision that she deserves to be punished, but I'll set that aside. Do you have a salary line at which someone goes from "not greedy" to "greedy"? Is it a general line, or one which shifts based on professions?

In addition, here's another question. Since you think she should have been jailed for 9 years in a penal colony for greed, does it even matter if she brought in any cannabis oil? Would you have been okay with that sentence if there was no cannabis oil or anything else illegal found, and she was arrested and sentenced for literally no violation of law?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Twitter just updated their terms of service to say that posting pictures or videos of anyone without their consent will earn you a ban.

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/personal-information

So anything showing a crowd of people is a bannable offense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyges posted:

Even if it "works", you're still pushing the Republicans further to the right. So congrats, you won by pushing a fascist message and kneecapping what little remains of the non flaming underwear on their head part of the party

147 Republicans voted against certifying Biden's electoral votes literally hours after a violent insurrection on Capitol Hill. Liz Cheney lost her leadership post for not saying The Big Lie was the truth. There isn't enough left of the non-flaming-underwear-on-head segment to matter. The inmates are running the asylum.

Plus, don't forget that none of the Republican establishment liked Trump in 2016, but when he became the nominee, even the no-flaming-underwear-on-head segment bent the knee. They're going to do it again for the next raging rear end in a top hat who wins the nomination. The idea that the best approach is to try and gently nudge the Republicans back into sanity is ridiculous.

Also, this: vvvv

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 1, 2023