Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The attorney general of Texas and his wife who is a state senator are both attempting to flee the state in their white bronco in order to avoid being served a subpoena.

Man we’re bringing everything 90s back, but with a woke twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I bought a house in May and "can I get Fiber here for remote work" was a high priority deal breaker when deciding (I do heavy media work, had to have hefty upload speeds).

Definitely this. Any place that has had the forethought to make sure they have a robust coverage of reliable high speed fiber is going to cash in big regardless of physical location (though yeah, rural/Middle America places with good broadband are gonna go gangbusters, especially if there's low COL, desirable local features like national parks, bars and restaurants, beaches/lakes/skiing what have you).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

One time I had a cucumber that was spoiled and I didn't notice and whatever mold that was on it destroyed my taste buds for about 2 hrs.

But also I like sweet pickles.

In conclusion, cucumbers are a land of contrasts.

Sweet pickles are of the devil. Pickles should be sour like baby Jesus intended when He made them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My point is that empty housing is not limited to "dying rust belt towns" as you put it. Homelessness is tied pretty directly to housing costs and the fact that SF has 40,000 empty units shows that landlords are perfectly willing to let units sit empty to keep rents high. They could house every single homeless person in the city and still have more than 30,000 units available for rent. If there were empty unit taxes or other anti-landlord policies it would do a lot for cost of living in that city.

Are they empty or are they air bnbs that are listed as empty because there is no actual resident on the lease?
Edit: nm the socket article answered the question (32%, roughly)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 29, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Speaking of, getting rid of airbnb would go a long way to reducing vacancy

In popular to visit cities sure

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Still, it'd be nice if YT and FB put as much effort into moderation of this toxic poo poo as they do going around looking for copyright violations and naughty words.
I think this is what is going to sink them, ultimately. This and the fact they seem to have absolutely no problem filtering out Nazi-related content in countries which ban it and forbid anyone else from serving it up (hi Germany) in order to do business there. They absolutely have the capability, they are doing it elsewhere.

Banning 'algorithms' though, is lol and the equivalent of saying 'ban grammar! If you can't string together verbs nouns and adjectives in a coherent manner, noone can be radicalized by the ideas they're espousing!' Which, while correct, is very much 'decapitation cures acne' levels of effective.

For the uninitiated:

An algorithm is a procedure used for solving a problem or performing a computation. Algorithms act as an exact list of instructions that conduct specified actions step by step in either hardware- or software-based routines. Algorithms are widely used throughout all areas of IT.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is almost as surprising a decision as Biden's weed declaration.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1578109819491258369

Senator from Nebraska quitting in the middle of his term to go work at the University of Florida?

Governor will appoint a replacement. It's too close to the election for a special election, so they will have a special election in 2024.

So does this mean there’s currently no longer a tie in the senate with 99 senators and 50 Dems?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 7, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tibalt posted:

I know it's a weird thing to get hung up on, but estimates max out at 30% of the US population being Evangelical, and only if you use a definite that includes black evangelical churches and denominations like 7th Day Adventist and Jehovah's Witnesses. Stricter definitions get an estimate of 6% to 15% of the population. It's nowhere close to 40% of the US.

A lot of his numbers seem to be pulled out of his rear end.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

There's always a third option: stop using that algorithm altogether.

It's not like it's some super smart demonstration of incredibly machine intelligence. It's just querying the database for things that are commonly bought in the same transaction as the item the user is looking at. It's not an essential part of the shopping experience, it's just Amazon trying to nudge people into buying more poo poo.

The problems here aren't unique to automated algorithms. The well-known anecdote of Target sending maternity advertisements to an expecting mother before her own family knew about her pregnancy came as a result of a few marketing folks asking the company's statistics department whether there was a way to tell if a woman was pregnant. By the time anyone realized the potential PR risk, the stats department had already worked out product cues that could be used to track pregnancy and created a database query for it. The resulting backlash was so bad that the marketing department actually went back and made the pregnancy advertisements less targeted on purpose so that people wouldn't feel like Target knew so much about them.

That was mostly human effort, but it still points to the big problem with automating this stuff: when it was under human control, it was done for a few products and/or demographics that were considered especially important, and any Bad Idea decisions were signed off by a human who had specifically asked for that Bad Idea. With an automated algorithm, it's done for everything by default, ensuring it will find every possible bad idea through sheer brute-force. No marketer is ever going to go and ask the stats department how to target suicidal customers, but the algorithm doesn't have any idea what "suicide" is - it just knows that these products are often bought together.

On the other hand, they could keep this algorithm, not make it public, and instead include links to books about how to deal with depression for those making those purchases together and maybe a warning email to the parent-linked account stating their child was exhibiting danger signs of suicidality and to schedule a psych consult.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

9/11, Yemen, and secretly working with Pakistan to transfer nuclear secrets weren't enough to damage the U.S. relationship with Saudi Arabia. But, siding with Russia and trying to raise oil prices 50% apparently is.

Biden says the U.S. will "re-evaluate" its relationship with KSA.

- They have cancelled a joint security meeting and all future security cooperation meetings. Considering cancelling them permanently.
- They already scaled back military sales to just defensive items and are considering stopping all of them.
- They already stopped providing intelligence assistance to KSA in Yemen last year and are considering not assisting in any areas now.
- They are considering stripping OPEC of its anti-trust exemption so American companies and governments can sue them.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1579846373054509058

I am totally down with this. Course we could be doing a speed run of the 70s with the incredibly corrupt president then gas lines and stagflation but hey, we had great legos.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They've dropped charges against Adnan Syed.

quote:

Baltimore prosecutors on Tuesday dropped the charges against Adnan Syed, the man whose legal saga rose to international renown because of the hit podcast “Serial.”

The abrupt move comes after Syed’s conviction in the 1999 killing of Hae Min Lee was overturned last month. However, his murder, kidnapping and robbery charges loomed while the city State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby’s office considered whether to dismiss his case or try him again in his Woodlawn High School sweetheart’s death.

Mosby said her decision hinged on new, last-ditch DNA testing being conducted on evidence collected in the decades-old homicide. The DNA test results excluded Syed, the public defender’s office, which is representing Syed, said in a news release after court Tuesday.

“Finally, Adnan Syed is able to live as a free man,” Syed’s attorney, Erica Suter, said in a statement. “The DNA results confirmed what we have already known and what underlies all of the current proceedings: that Adnan is innocent and lost 23 years of his life serving time for a crime he did not commit.”

Suter, who is also the director of the Innocence Project Clinic at the University of Baltimore School of Law, participated alongside city prosecutors in a yearlong investigation. Together, the attorneys discovered two people they now consider alternative suspects in Lee’s death. Both suspects were known to the authorities all along, but at least one was not disclosed to Syed’s defense, they said.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Probably not before the election.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

joe football posted:

Aren't presidents basically supposed to be happy about the economy at all times

To the extent that what anyone says matters at all, I imagine the president saying a recession is coming/here is probably pretty bad for people's confidence in the future economy and their decisions on whether to buy or invest in things

Yup.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

This is a growing problem and not just the lack of psychiatric beds for younger people in crisis, though that has worsened to the point where it's untenable.

There is extremely limited help for people with severe mental illness, including autism, and especially if they're violent (often people who do not have the capability to understand their actions nor the harm they cause).

As with so much poo poo in this country you can thank Reagan for that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah according to our principal, last year kids were either getting A's or F's very few B's and C's. I had to get my kid tutoring to make up for the gap.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I am actually going to have a laughing fit if somehow, some way, they’re going to make this about Hunter Biden.

It'll be something completely unrelated like China managed to hack social security db or something.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skylined! posted:

edited because initial tweet was a bit clickbaity

Thomas doing Graham as much of a favor as he can for the moment from the bench, re: testifying in Fulton Co.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1584581011622350853?s=20&t=Myf3WxuStgHlGHSzda0_Gw

He should be forced to recuse because his wife is hip-deep in this poo poo. We really need the senate to codify some ethics rules for the supreme court if the Dems hold it

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Madkal posted:

I wonder if Musk will treat Trump's fartweets as some kind of sideshow business. Wanna see what poo poo trump tweeted out? That'll be 3 bucks.

This might actually work, until Trump sues him for profiting off his name and likeness.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

None of the top twitter execs are going to survive, because they very personally embarrassed Elon and cost him tens of billions of dollars. Of course, they all had twitter stock cashed out at 54.20 and they don't want to work for musk so really there's not much downside.

Not to mention the golden parachutes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I mean he was probably trying to murder the equally-old Speaker of the House

ANYONE getting beaten by a goddamn hammer is attempted murder, guys. Old people may be more frail and bruise easily but its not like your average 20 year old has bones that can stand up to steel.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zwabu posted:

I wonder what kinds of posts hammer boy makes on social media.

CNN posted:

The man who allegedly attacked Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s husband early Friday posted memes and conspiracy theories on Facebook about Covid-19 vaccines, the 2020 election and the Jan. 6 attack.

David DePape, 42, was identified by police Friday as the suspect in the assault on Paul Pelosi at the speaker’s San Francisco home.

Two of DePape’s relatives told CNN that DePape is estranged from his family, and confirmed that the Facebook account – which was taken down by the social media company on Friday – belonged to him.

His stepfather, Gene DePape, said David DePape grew up in Powell River, British Columbia, and left Canada about 20 years ago to pursue a relationship that brought him to California.

“I really don’t know what to think,” the suspect’s uncle, Mark DePape, said of his nephew’s alleged attack on Pelosi. “Hopefully it’s a scam. I don’t want to hear something like that.”

Last year, David DePape posted links on his Facebook page to multiple videos produced by My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell falsely alleging that the 2020 election was stolen. Other posts included transphobic images and linked to websites claiming Covid-19 vaccines were deadly. “The death rates being promoted are what ever ‘THEY’ want to be promoted as the death rate,” one post read.

DePape also posted links to YouTube videos with titles like “Democrat FARCE Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol Riot COLLAPSES in Congress!!!” and “Global Elites Plan To Take Control Of YOUR Money! (Revealed)”

Two days after former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of killing George Floyd, DePape wrote that the trial was “a modern lynching,” falsely indicating that Floyd died of a drug overdose.

He also posted content about the “Great Reset” – the sprawling conspiracy theory that global elites are using coronavirus to usher in a new world order in which they gain more power and oppress the masses. And he complained that politicians making promises to try to win votes “are offering you bribes in exchange for your further enslavement.”

Most of the public posts on DePape’s Facebook page were from 2021. In earlier years, DePape also posted long screeds about religion, including claims that “Jesus is the anti christ.” None of the public posts appeared to mention Pelosi.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

selec posted:

https://twitter.com/pnjaban/status/1586031119647928320?s=46&t=lypfoWlrUOSzqw_LFxvuLQ

I would love to read the internal investigation of how this happened because I suspect no cop in this country really cares much about what happens to Pelosi.

Apparently the cops were on prem, the guy took a hammer to a window and waltzed right in screaming for Pelosi, the husband confronted him and the guy decided he was going to tie him up while he waited for Nancy to show up and the cops came upon them struggling for the hammer in the doorway and witnessed the whole attack and tackled the guy. At 2:30AM there aren't going to be any staffers about, especially I assume if Nancy isn't there, and this guy just waltzed right up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's extremely possible that there's some intricacy involved that would change my opinion, but here's my take: if the healthcare funding is competently managed and if there's not some sort of weird sneaky addition, I don't think it really matters all that much that some of that funding would go to private schools. Those kids still need mental healthcare, and subject to the above criteria I don't think much if any of that money would wind up in private pockets.

i will concede that "maybe we shouldn't give money to psychiatrists selected and employed by anti-gay religious schools" is a valid argument, if that's a dealbreaker for you that's perfectly fair

When the 'mental healthcare' they're likely to get is a state-funded trip to a conversion therapy camp, hard pass.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

His entire brand is "rich guy" and his entire financial empire was built on lying about his wealth and the value of his properties.

Tax documents hurt both of those.

Also he's a fragile baby.

Yaah its mostly this. it'll show he was a mere millionaire and not a billionaire and he cannot have that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

thinkin real hard about Target? eBay? whoever it was who accidentally cut their internet ad budget for a few months and saw almost no change in their metrics when they found out about it. Big CEO Musk slitting his own throat through shitposting, lol

All the big corps are looking cost cut for the upcoming recession to kill inflation the fed seems determined to inflict on the 99% so don’t be surprised if a bunch of them cut Twitter loose and hide behind the ‘temporarily to see how it shakes out’ concerns about moderation and user base. It’s a great excuse to do what they’ve wanted to do for awhile anyway.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

To be fair, he is also shutting down and firing everyone from some of the Twitter divisions that the public don't see and likely aren't profitable, such as the Health Science Division, the A.I. ethics division, and human resources.

I have no clue what the actual impact of those cuts will be in the grand scheme of things for both Twitter and the world (not my area of expertise and I don't think a lot of their work was public, so you couldn't really guess), but those likely weren't making any money and won't impact the end-users of Twitter. A huge chunk of the firings are supposed to be from the main Twitter team, though.

If you think the health science division (likely the ones fighting antivax/pandemic misinfo) and AI ethics (hey guys how about we NOT feed the insecure teenage girls thinspo account recs?) weren’t doing anything the public would notice if it were gone I got a nice bridge to sell you cheap.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

You're definitely right but regardless all war crimes evidence uploaded to social media platforms should be stored somewhere safe since as we've seen time and time again social media networks come and go.

A lot of 3rd party NGOs and such grab that stuff as soon as its posted for precisely this reason.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

It's so close to the election, with a ton of people voting early, so there's not really much to discuss until the results are in.

And polls are basically a big confused shrug so just get out and canvass/phone bank.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

More like "Sen. Ted Cruz Showered with Booze"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

In good news, Michigan has a Democratic house, senate and governor for the first time in like 40 years!

holy gently caress go Michigan.

Also lol:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

Disagree. Sinema needs to be courted, Manchin is likely to retire in 2024. He's old and from a state that would likely vote against him next election, as not many dems are too enthusiastic for voting for him. She needs to be brought to heel or she will likely get primaried out of her job in 2024.

Manchin will die in office, he’s going nowhere, and his popularity is quite high in WV because they love the fact he sticks it to the Dems and they suck up to him because they need him. Sinema is already getting primaried like plans are actively in the works and a candidate has already all but declared (Ruben Gallego).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Like you think you're getting hosed by one Senator but they swap out halfway?

Like both senators vote but hey wait, isn’t senator Kelly in Hawaii? *cue rimshot*

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

In their defense Denver Airport is loving weird as poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Twitter still has mods?

It’s all Elon now. The captain. Is going down with the ship.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

selec posted:

Are they good or bad? why do companies do them?

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042015/why-would-company-buyback-its-own-shares.asp

quote:

A company repurchases its shares when it wants to consolidate ownership, preserve stock prices, return stock prices to real value, boost financial ratios, or reduce the cost of capital.

Investors can benefit from stock buybacks because the practice has generally taken the place of dividends. However, there are business drawbacks for stock repurchases, such as possible taxes on the buybacks, a reduction in credit rating, or loss of investor confidence.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 21, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah Trump was real fuckin bad as far as getting people the help they need in almost every way, but I will concede that "just sending people money makes them like you" is simple enough that it seems to have stuck in his brain for more than nine minutes

He looked at it as a
bribe to voters with someone else’s money, and two things Trump knows best are bribery and using other peoples money to get what he wants. It was a no brainer.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Can someone help me with what this actually means? Like, the quoted question, in the context of this conversation.

Finally having our national truth and reconciliation on slavery and reparations for such (among the other atrocities like the deliberate attempted genocide of Native Americans).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

[*] the GOP will take the House in a week, which will make it much more difficult to have any kind of Congressional intervention (either in the strike itself or any of the issues caused by it) without making concessions to the GOP
Congress convenes on Jan. 3 every year unless that's on a Sunday (usually).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Seems like that could be most easily resolved with more redundancy in scheduling, but it would cut into profits and we can’t have that

The problem with that is it takes years to properly train a train engineer. Not that this isn't the correct answer, just that it isn't like you can just put an ad in the paper and fill that position in two weeks + 3 mos of on the job training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

On the other hand, gently caress making a conservative Southern red state the first in the nation.