Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cimber posted:

I wonder if this can be used against him in some incoming charges.

Guess it would ultimately depend on what charges you have in mind, but I think it would be kind of a stretch. Unless he's actively saying "I want you to grab your guns and go invade DC again" or something actively incriminating, they'll probably be able to handwave it away as "Well he didn't TECHNICALLY instruct anyone to do anything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess this is a stupid naive take but stopping youtube from recommending isis recruitment (or instagram from by their own admission trying to give teen girls eating disorders or facebook promoting nazi pages "to see what would happen" seems... good to do? Like those things shouldn't get to happen and companies should get obliterated for doing them?

I would imagine the argument against it involves the slippery slope.
First it bans things like ISIS recruitment videos, but then further on down the line now it's banned from recommending resources for some kid looking for information on transitioning because the right people greased the right palms to put that under the ban umbrella, and so on and so on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Randalor posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he currently being sued to force him to purchase Twitter, because he tried to back out of purchasing Twitter, after he had already signed the binding agreement to purchase it?

And now he wants them to drop the lawsuit on the promise that he won't immediately shout out "Syke!" and run out of office the moment the lawsuit is dropped?

I mean, there's literally no way out of buying twitter unless they drop the lawsuit at this point, right?

Please correct me on any of this that I got wrong, this whole story is exceedingly stupid and has been going on for far longer than I care for anything involving Musk or Twitter to be taking up any space in my brain. I just want this story to end so I can have a hearty laugh at someone's misfortune and promptly stop giving a gently caress about Musk or Twitter again.

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1577417197361590272?s=20&t=zOrrY_OfRHovNqn_c7hC9w

The whole situation is beyond me, everytime I think about it too hard I start to smell burning toast.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really hard to say at this point. Like, 'people with the proper privilege and power can and should do whatever they want, rules are for the untermenschen' is a key and increasingly unsubtle part of the Republican platform, and one that their base wholeheartedly agrees with as long as they're riled up enough.

Merely pointing at Republicans about how bad they are clearly works to a point, it's one of the reasons Biden won, but even at best it's not a sustainable strategy on its own.

I think it got mentioned before, but a lot of campaigning is aimed at Undecided voters.

Generally speaking, Dems are gonna vote Dem, Republicans are gonna vote Republican - Any fuckery the party does is going to be ignored or handwaved away in the name of making sure the other team doesn't win. They're a lock as long as they show up, barring any sort of suppression efforts.

It's the people going "Hmm, I dunno..." that most ads are aimed at since they're the ones who need to be convinced.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear there was a study saying that the actual number of undecided voters is pretty low in the modern era due to polarization

Yes, but it isn't zero, which means that they can keep cutting those sweet sweet paychecks to the ad companies and PR consultants.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Axetrain posted:

It would look worse if he was going on about how wonderful everything is when it's very clear to just about everyone that it is very much not.

Wasn't that their first move?
I don't think Biden directly came out and said it, but plenty of admin spokespeople were talking about how greatly things were improving while lots of people were getting financially hosed over. A lot of "Don't believe your lying eyes, there is no recession in Ba Sing Se"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Star Man posted:

I thought all the hipsters died out in like 2012.

I thought they all opened vape shops

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jaxyon posted:

LOL no that's a play on minimalist haute cuisine

Hipster food is some sort of taco bell take on poutine served to you in a mini cast iron skillet

Velveeta Mac& cheese served with pulled pork and fried onion straws on top.

A perfectly average, probably kinda dry, cheeseburger named something involving "Classic" or "Vintage" or "Original."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Musk takes direct charge of Twitter (which I imagine he will) then it will be a disaster. Getting rid of all content regulation is going to make it a nightmare.

I figure he'll end up selling it off once he's done running it into the ground to prove whatever point he thought he was making by buying it in the first place, at which point the new owners will probably revert back to something closer to how it was before the buyout, but by then the damage will have been done and we'll probably be on some new Twitter-like that someone else puts out once Twitter gets all of their Nazis back.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Having thought about it some more since my last post, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's saying 3/4 of this poo poo because he thinks he's playing some sort of Nth dimensional chess and still trying to get out of buying it or manipulate the market somehow for when he tries to sell it.

In all honesty, I'm really kind of just expecting him to have Trump/whoever else he likes unbanned, maybe ban some people who made fun of him, and then gently caress off and try to unload it onto some other sucker.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cat botherer posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1583487828880596992

I wonder what the possible reasoning for this could be, besides Democrat-brain. it's obviously not responsible (an insane thing to say), and it consistently has let Republicans get concessions by playing chicken with the US's financial credibility.

Because more than anything, Biden wants the Republicans to think he's cool and invite him to their ice cream parties.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Staluigi posted:

Just ship yourself as a Maga conspiratorialist first to breeze the primary

That runs into the same problem that Dems have when they think the sensible solution is to campaign towards the Right: You can't out-Republican a Republican.

They'll know the true believers from the cosplayers.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kanos posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true, given that nakedly opportunistic remora eels like Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz and pathetic empty suits like Marco Rubio can get elected and re-elected.

The Republican voter base has consistently and regularly proven itself to be incredibly susceptible to liars, grifters, and con artists.

I feel like Cruz and Graham bamboozle Dems more than they really fool their fellow Republicans.

I mean, how many times do you see some Dem Op-Ed Twitter going "Ha! Got him! He should be feeling so owned now!" because they have the videoclip of Graham saying "I swear to white cishet baby Jesus that I will resign before I ever sign off on X." after he lol's and signs off on X at the first opportunity.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

If I read him right, I think Steve meant that the GOP establishment knows the difference between the money players in their party from the ones hollering about voter fraud and poo poo. It's the whole thing where the frankenstein monster they created broke free of his chains but they still need him to vote in order to win elections.

The real mainstream, traditional, By the Book Old Money Republicans hate...HATE their voters who were hatched from the Rush Limbaugh egg no matter how useful or gullible they are.

It's more of an IMO: You can't out-crazy someone who is actually that crazy.

Sure, I could yell Drain the Swamp and Stop the Steal, but no matter how good an actor I am, I'm not going to be able to be more convincing than someone who actually believes it. There's just a certain... conviction or sincerity that you can't translate over if you're not a true believer.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t understand why a gay guy would work so hard to build the camps and kill all gay people, but republicans have to enjoy seeing him utterly debase himself that way. Has he ever delivered anything good for his voters?

He upsets the Libs. That's usually enough for most of them.

He goes back on a thing that he said, TweetingLiberal.Facebook puts out a hundred finger-wagging memes about it, and Republicans make a :smuggo: face because a Liberal was triggered.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Oracle posted:

It'll be something completely unrelated like China managed to hack social security db or something.

Maybe they developed a vaccine for Havana Syndrome

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, no one is actually leaving over morals. The actual reason they will leave is because of user experience and not wanting the product. The assumption from everyone is that Elon will make the product worse.

There will 100% be some users who will make a big show of clutching their pearls and announcing the closing of their account forever because of the bad orange man being allowed back on it.

Those same people will also quietly return a week later and pretend it never happened or offer some halfassed excuse about why they had to come back.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

skylined! posted:

With the decades of stuff he has been involved in privately it's possible this wasn't tied to Nancy at all.

Worth noting that Vijaya mentioned here was fired like an hour or two later. Apparently Elon didn't like what he heard in this convo despite this revenue VP trying to stay upbeat. Morale at Twitter HQ must be pretty precarious right now; can't imagine it won't tank completely in the coming weeks.

I reckon it'll tank for a few weeks/months while Elon makes his "improvements."
The whole reason he bought it in the first place was just to soothe his ego and punish people who were making fun of him and unban some of his friends.
The business decisions are just him swinging his dick around to prove to himself that he's a big brain genius, but eventually he'll get bored and wander off and leave it to be handled by someone who can at least salvage it and patch enough holes for it to try to recover.

Twitter itself has enough cultural inertia that it isn't going to be replaced by anything anytime soon, so that gives them time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ManBoyChef posted:

when you point at the manifestos they just double and triple down on that poo poo.

Obviously the manifestos are proof that it was a false flag. Afterall, who would leave all sorts of evidence laying around like that?
Y'know, unless they were a Democrat, in which case it obviously makes perfect sense and adds up seamlessly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Really should have asked them to begin with, now that we bring him up...

I dunno about you, but I can never tell them apart.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

How has twitter stayed afloat all this time? It’s always been unusable and full of nazis. There’s a thin crust of absolute psychos who post hundreds of times a day there and I can’t imagine they’d ever stop, but what would it take for twitter to finally die?

The only thing that's going to kill Twitter is for someone to develop a version of it that enough people prefer over the original to trigger a mass cultural exodus.

Basically something to do to Twitter what Facebook with Farmville did to Myspace.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Chuds all hate each other and I think actually find each other as obnoxious as everyone else does, there's a reason all the right wing social medias are failures.

I think it's more that, like Trump, if people aren't paying attention to them then what's the point?

Sure, they enjoy their echo chambers where it's illegal to disagree with them, but they prefer the feeling that somewhere a lib is being triggered and owned because they had to read the latest Let's Go Brandon tweet, and they know they aren't getting that validation on a conservative social media site.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, when twitter dies were will I go to find artists posting cool stuff they made?

Are we all going to have to go back to DeviantArt? I don't want to go back to DeviantArt.....I thought I left those dark days behind....

If Twitter dies, it won't be before something new takes it's place.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Meatball posted:

An addition cost of $12/month for super verification

There's your Standard Verification which gets you the Official Blue Checkmark, then Verification+ which adds on the Ad-Free option, and then Premium Verification in which Elon will personally tweet @you to buy dogecoins directly from him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Musk is a lot like Trump in the sense that the "real ones" don't accept them.

Old Money never accepted Trump, which influences a lot of the poo poo that he pulls in an effort to suck up to them for whatever perceived legitimacy.

Musk, who wants to be seen as some sort of Genius Nerd King, isn't accepted by actual famous nerds, and what he does is partially influenced by trying to suck up to them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

i assume he already has enough money to do whatever he wants for the rest of his life and wants to keep some ownership of the company he founded

Probably no small amount of ego too. He probably figures that once Elon has hosed things up badly enough that the Un-Blue Checked masses will demand a return to Twitter Classic and he'll be able to get ownership back for a fraction of what he was paid along with a wave of goodwill.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kalli posted:

It's okay, Elon has a plan, and it's.... crying about the woke mob

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588538640401018880

The My Pillow guy tried the same tactic, let's see how that worked out for him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quorum posted:

This is almost exactly the premise of the "Old Gods of Appalachia" podcast, which is pretty good.

100% agree. I love that podcast.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

-Blackadder- posted:

Looks promising.

Is there a particularly good episode recommended to jump in on or just start from the beginning?

Absolutely start at the beginning.
Each season is it's own story, but they do plenty of callbacks and bring back characters, so, best to start at 1.

BiggerBoat posted:

This story is...uh...a bit thick.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/06/us/iowa-teen-killed-alleged-rapist-escape/index.html

The Iowa teen who killed her alleged rapist and was sentenced to probation has escaped from custody
Michelle Watson Dakin Andone

Just horrible poo poo all the way down

Jesus. While on a visceral level, I hope she clowns on everyone chasing her down for awhile, that's realistically no way to live and I hope she's able to get herself into some sort of best-case scenario, whatever that would entail.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Looks like Fetterman won if I'm reading correctly, so that's good.
Sucks about Texas, though I can't say I'm surprised

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Push El Burrito posted:

So how long until states start passing laws raising the voting age to 40?

Would that mean that I'd get to enjoy a few years without being bombarded with emails and phone calls asking me to donate and VOTE in the most important election of my life?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

davecrazy posted:

Will GA dems still turn out without it being the decision making seat?

Depends on how convincing those "We need X amount more seats or else we can't actually do anything we promised despite having a majority!" emails are, I suppose.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Framboise posted:

Can someone explain to me why this loving matters? I'm so sick of hearing about it and how obsessed they are with it, but I've never heard an actual reason why anything on this laptop actually means anything regarding anything?

Is it just a petty desire for dirt against Biden?

It's just the Republican equivalent of Trump's tax returns and/or the Russian pee tape.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Angry_Ed posted:

ah, the Karl Rove strategy. Take something good (helping out kids at youth camps) and turn it into something horrifying and insidious.

Seems more like the LBJ strategy: Call him a horsefucker and make him spend time denying the horsefucker allegations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rigel posted:

I think I read somewhere that Trump actually has a contract with Truth which makes it difficult to post on Twitter. He also owns a large part of Truth so he benefits directly if it actually takes off. (It wont)

Has a contractual obligation ever really stopped Trump from doing something he wanted to do?

He might just be waiting to see if Twitter actually dies before he commits to it again, since everyone* is expecting it to go belly-up at any minute.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kalit posted:

:rolleyes: What proof do you have of this claim?

JFC, really? I understand that being a complete and utter dumbfuck contrarian is your thing, but goddamn.

These assholes already think they're above the law, or that they're Chaotic Good superheroes on a mission from God to slay the devilish hordes of his enemies by ignoring an unjust law written by the forces of evil in order to stop good men from doing anything.
If any sense of decency or morality were in their playbook, we wouldn't be having this conversation for the umpteenth time while they continue to be emboldened to kill more queer people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's probably going to keep escalating and happening until the other side claps back and makes an example out of the next person to try it.

And by that I mean a hypothetical where someone tries to shoot up a drag show and they don't just subdue him, but actively beat him within an inch of his life to serve as a warning to others.

Because if there's one thing conservatives can't stand, it's when the other person is able to fight back.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The guy who shot up the drag show was clearly hit in the head a hell of a lot of times, like half of his entire head is purple. Which tracks with how he was disarmed and subdued (the vet who disarmed him took his backup pistol from him and beat the poo poo out of him with it basically until he stopped struggling and a drag queen kicked him in the face some, too)

Also I don't think that a shooter getting a beatdown is going to have any impact. No one gives a gently caress about what happens to those guys after their moment of utility to whatever hosed up cause they represent. The far bigger issue is the right openly trying to start a culture war and publicly fantasizing about a civil war and throwing around rhetoric that is unambiguously intended to promote attacks like these. I don't think it really matters what happens to the individuals shooting places up, at least in terms of reducing attacks, until right wing media stops inciting hate at every opportunity.

All in all it feels a lot like the height of the abortion clinic attacks in the 90s when the right was doing the same poo poo where they were clearly, deliberately working people up into attacking abortion providers and then playing dumb when it happened.

I think that's mainly because right now, the narrative is still heavily tilted towards "Not only will you get away with your terror attack and be a hero, but if you're white enough, the cops will take you for ice cream and let you pick out a toy on the way to jail."

Getting your rear end beat by the people you're planning to terrorize and murder is still considered the exception rather than the rule.

When "the shooter was beaten to death with their own gun" is considered the norm for what will happen, a lot of chuds will lose their courage and go back to posting about how "someone" should do it instead since they have a thing this week.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddayen/status/1597365372088614912

the full text is worth a read, it's the rare case of a document as thoroughly slimy as the inflammatory pull quote makes it sound. look at this wonderful line.

sure, on the one hand, we here in the twilight hours of the democrats being able to do a goddamned thing while in government are big fans of unions, and acknowledge that not even getting sick days is a monstrous way to terrorize employees. but guys.

it's christmas, you guys

therefore it is with great sorrow that Joe Biden asks congress to overrule the unions' refusal to validate the temporary agreement, and preemptively declare the impending strike illegal

I know it's bad form to let perfect be the enemy of good and we should just be grateful for whatever crumbs our betters deign to throw us, but goddamn, this is some monstrous poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why should any single union worker ever believe the Democrats will ever have their back?

It won't matter, they'll be told that it's still better than what Republicans would do, so they should shut the gently caress up and vote like good little piggies, because at least they can have some false hope instead of none.