Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I want to do a road trip, and I want some help planning it. That means we need a road trip planning thread so I can ask!

It seems like planning a road trip can be everything from ‘bathroom breaks planned out 6 months in advance’ to ‘get in the car, we’re going for a drive’. I’ve been a participant to both of those, and honestly they both have been a great time. Some of my favorite trips with friends have been pooling gas money and turning around when it’s half spent. Every trip is different and that’s what makes things interesting, so let’s look at some of the basics:

When?

Is this happening ten minutes from now or in two years? I’ve found that shorter, weekend-length camping trips can be done on short notice, but if you want to see some National Parks there are reservations a year or even 18 months in advance. If you’re planning a trip around school holidays you’ll also be better off planning ahead.

Timing also affects location. I live in Alaska so I don’t plan road trips here during the winter - I plan warm weather stuff then. Conversely, I hear August in Death Valley can be a tad warm. This brings us to:

Where?

Is this trip based around a starting or ending point? If the goal is to see a specific attraction then everything else needs to be planned around that. Or, you could pick a starting point and see what’s available from there. This is the age old question, ‘is it about the journey or the destination?’ These are obviously not totally separate but it does influence the planning quite a bit.

Lodging vs Routing?

Now we’re getting into some finer detail. Do you plan the trip around available lodging, or do you plan where you’re staying around the route? If you’re traveling along the Interstate Highway System there are usually motels or pull-outs available where you can sleep without too much hassle, but if you’re getting out into the sticks you may want to plan ahead.

Lodging:

I, personally, plan my trips around where I’ll be sleeping. I usually want to know this in advance, though sometimes I’ll leave it at, say, ‘Spokane’ and figure out a hotel when I get close.

For hotels I think everybody knows how to use an aggregator site to check options. Know that often, but not always, the hotels will make rooms available last-minute at a discount to fill the house. I find this option to be handy when looking around larger cities like the aforementioned Spokane example. It doesn’t work nearly as well in towns with one small motel who knows you’ll have to drive another hour to the next place.

Camping is a whole different world. It can be anything from ‘sleeping in the car seat next to the idling truckers’ to luxurious motorhome travel. If you are doing either of those things you probably already know your requirements but for everyone else there’s a world of options.

To start with, https://recreation.gov is a good place to look up reservable campgrounds around the USA. https://koa.com is another; KOA campgrounds are all private places that may have equipment minimums (not every place allows tents). There are apps which also help find places for ‘boondocking’ (camping outside of normal campgrounds, often/usually free of charge); if anyone has good suggestions I’d love to add them here. Some of the best places can only be found by asking a local when you get there; we were turned on to this spot by someone who lived nearby:

If I’m camping, I like to plan for a hotel once every 3-4 nights for bathing and laundry. Wet wipes will work for a while but there’s nothing quite like washing off road grime in the endless hot water of a hotel shower.

Routing:

I put this after lodging because I usually plan where I’ll sleep first, but they are intrinsically linked and a lot of people plan routing first.

At this point I think everyone knows how to use Google or Apple Maps to find a route. That isn’t what this thread is about. This is about ROUTES. Anyone can pick an Interstate and cross the country, but what’s the fun in that?

I try to plan my sleeping locations so that I have options day-to-day for where I’ll drive. I usually have backup options for weather or time. As an example, this spring I plotted a route over a mountain road. It’s technically open year ‘round, but when I got a ways up realized that the snow hadn’t melted enough to make an attempt with only one vehicle, so had to backtrack and take my secondary route. I still saw some neat stuff. Later on that same trip I had another mountain route picked and the weather *just barely* cooperated - the road was open that day only for 8 hours and then closed for another 2 weeks:

Note that route can also be vehicle-dependent. While a rental Camry may be the best off-road vehicle ever driven, I still don’t want to use one to explore the back reaches of Death Valley alone. Sometimes the vehicle dictates routes in other ways; you might be driving a new purchase home or you might be driving a shitbox that every cop is salivating to confiscate off the Interstate. A often-overlocked issue is vehicle size - there are entire highways that don’t allow vehicles with trailers.

One last, and big, part of routing is how much to drive on any given day. If I’m doing a ‘journey’ trip I like to keep the driving below 6 hours per day. If I have a destination to get to I’ll plan for 8-10 hours of driving and take a few longer stops to stretch my legs. I’ve done 17 hours of driving in a day if that’s the requirement but it’s no fun at all.

Attractions:

This can be anything from Disneyland to the 2nd largest ball of yarn in Minnesota. The amount of neat stuff to see along the road is infinite! I really like checking Atlas Obscura for places, but even Wikipedia can be a good resource for sights. Sometimes you won’t even know what you’re looking for until you get there; I was driving through Yellowstone and just happened to pull up at a random spot at exactly the right time for this:

Other times you’ll plan things in advance and they turn out to be pretty dull: Atlas Obscura and teh internets had said there was an amazing sculpture of running horses along the Columbia Gorge, we planned a stop in advance and this was the view:

Not really that great. An important thing with attractions is to be flexible.

Food!

Road trip food should look like a child was let loose in the store with $100. Always. It’s the law :colbert:

That said, aside from the basics like Doritos and jerky, I’ve found a few things really make the trip better.

For starters, bring a cooler and some ice. I have a rotomolded cooler than checks well as luggage so I can use it away from home; it also lets me bring fragile souvenirs back. One big item for me that requires a cooler is kombucha or other live-culture probiotics like yogurt; keeping my system functioning properly on a road trip is a huge issue.

Ginger snacks are great to head off motion sickness without drugs. Candied ginger or ginger chews are my go-to choices. I enjoy both so it doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything weird other than eating more candy than normal.

Coffee is a very personal choice, but I have had great luck with Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso; it’s great for easy coffee on the road:

There are also French Press mugs that work great, but if I want to get moving quickly it’s a lot easier to add instant coffee to water heated in my Jetboil.

Equipment:

As mentioned above, I like to bring my Jetboil along. Having hot water available anywhere is super handy. Along the same lines, if I’m traveling and have the space I bring a 5-gallon water jug. You can refill it relatively easily and it saves a lot of single-use plastic.

Lightweight sleeping bags or blankets are great for keeping A/C disputes to a minimum and should be a part of your emergency kit anyway. A first aid kit should always be in the car. Don’t forget your tools and/or AAA membership.

Miscellaneous:

Bring clothes appropriate for the season. Have cash. Print (or write) copies of reservations and other plans so you aren’t relying on batteries and cell signals.

I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff so as we go along I’ll try to keep this post updated.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Okay, now I can ask my trip planning questions!

We’d like to take a trip sometime in November or the first half of December. In the USA, ideally somewhere warm (though warmth is flexible). All our plans would be based around flying somewhere, renting a vehicle, and returning to the same airport (I’m not interested in doing a 1-way trip right now just for simplicity’s sale). Some thoughts that come to mind, in no particular order, are:

1. Las Vegas, drive to Death Valley or Zion. Do some exploring. Zion won’t be warm and Death Valley might still be mostly closed.

2. Palm Springs or San Diego, visit Joshua Tree, do some desert exploring, maybe visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

3. Phoenix, drive up to Flagstaff and say hi to some friends, maybe go over to Monument Valley and see stuff that way?

I don’t really know what’s available in the desert southwest with regard to road trip options. I would prefer to stick with motels for this trip since I know even the desert will be cold at night. I’m not wedded to the desert but it seems like a good way to avoid crowds.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Food!

Road trip food should look like a child was let loose in the store with $100. Always. It’s the law :colbert:

That said, aside from the basics like Doritos and jerky, I’ve found a few things really make the trip better.

For starters, bring a cooler and some ice. I have a rotomolded cooler than checks well as luggage so I can use it away from home; it also lets me bring fragile souvenirs back. One big item for me that requires a cooler is kombucha or other live-culture probiotics like yogurt; keeping my system functioning properly on a road trip is a huge issue.

Ginger snacks are great to head off motion sickness without drugs. Candied ginger or ginger chews are my go-to choices. I enjoy both so it doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything weird other than eating more candy than normal.

Coffee is a very personal choice, but I have had great luck with Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso; it’s great for easy coffee on the road:

We bring a hand grinder and an electric Hario kettle on motel trips for pourovers, along with shelf-stable creamers. For snacks on the road, it's important that it's something that you won't get tired of for food in a pinch - nothing sucks more than having a box of protein bars you hate. Wife and I agree on Kind Crunchy Peanut Butter bars.

On transportation, we bring bikes on some trips (esp for Zion and Grand Canyon where having a bike means you can skip shuttles), and having an easy-to-load bike carrier on the hitch is nice. Just remember to bring the bikes inside at night so they don't get stolen in Methville, CA at an overnight stop.

Roof boxes are also nice if you want to carry a bit more stuff and still be able to use the back seat / see out the rear window / want to be able to leave stuff in the car out of sight.

Planning/communication: Figure out a strategy on when to switch drivers and communicating your needs. For example my wife doesn't like doing hairy traffic or squirrely mountain passes, I like to take the first shift in the morning, so this might present issues if there's a pass or a city in the middle of the drive of the day. We also try to alert each other well in advance for bio breaks or nausea so the driver has time to get in the right lane to make an exit instead of having to yeet over 5 lanes of LA traffic in a quarter mile.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

2. Palm Springs or San Diego, visit Joshua Tree, do some desert exploring, maybe visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

I've only ever done San Diego as a destination instead of as a base for a proper road trip, but that's also because I love it and there's easily a weekend-to-a-week's worth of things to do inside San Diego proper. San Diego Zoo itself, the museums in Balboa Park, the rest of Balboa Park, the restaurants in/around San Diego, the beaches...

I've driven by Joshua Tree countless times but never actually stopped. It's also filed away in my mind as "LA" (along with the giant windmill farm) because if I'm going to San Diego I'm on the 8 instead of the 10. Likewise there's the Imperial Dunes if you want to go nearly all the way to Yuma.

Advent Horizon posted:

3. Phoenix, drive up to Flagstaff and say hi to some friends, maybe go over to Monument Valley and see stuff that way?

Here you've got an assload of options.

Personally I'd recommend on the way up, leaving Phoenix by way of US60 via Morristown/Wickenburg, then taking US93 to AZ89 through Congress, Yarnell (there's a monument to the Granite Mountain Hotshots there now), and then on to Prescott. The road gets pretty fun between Wilhoit and Prescott, with a lot of mountain curves and steep grades. Keep on AZ89 to AZ89A, which takes you to Jerome via the second-greatest driving road in the state. (The first being the former AZ666 / now AZ191 between Alpine and Morenci but that is a literal road between nowheres.) Jerome is full of haunted tours and tasty ice cream and a winery run by a guy who's really good at screaming, and it's built onto the side of a goddamn mountain.

From there your path to Flagstaff is further along AZ89A, via Sedona. I know you hate Jeeps but last I checked nobody in Sedona rents prepped LCs, so, swing by and rent a Rubicon from Nena Barlow and she'll hook you up with everything else you need to know about the trails. There are some amazing offroad trails that are all so close to each other and Sedona itself that you don't even bother airing up driving from one to the next. A few do require permits that are very limited (Soldier Pass is 12 personal vehicles per day, for example) so you'll want to plan at least that part out in advance.

When you're done in Sedona, Flagstaff is just a relatively short run further up AZ89A. Plenty of neat things to do in Flagstaff - my favorites being Lowell Observatory in town, and Cinder Hills OHV area just slightly northeast of town. You can also check out Sunset Crater, or keep going north until you get to America's Buttcrack, the Grand Canyon.

I would actually recommend taking I17 south from Flagstaff to Phoenix for at least three reasons. One, it's actually a reasonably interesting road in its own right. Two, it'll put you in range of taking the front way into Crown King, a tiny old mining town on the top of a mountain. There is the back way, but that's an all-day trail in something far more capable than you're getting at the airport. Three, it'll also have you drive right to Rock Springs Cafe, where you can get some amazing pies. Strong recommendation for Lemon Meringue, and worth ordering in advance so they actually have some left when you get there.

Depending on your flexibility on scheduling, I would recommend doing the I17 leg on whichever day is the opposite of most people - it gets some hellish traffic northbound on Fridays, and southbound on Sundays.

And because I just remembered these and can't be assed to work them into the relevant bits above - from Flagstaff, if you want you can drive an hour east and go stand on a corner in Winslow. Or you can drive half an hour west and go to Bearizona and/or the Grand Canyon Deer Farm. Or north of Prescott Valley there's an alpaca farm that does tours for something like :10bux: - their site is broken because of course it is, but it's these guys.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 26, 2022

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I don’t actually hate jeeps, I just have a bad history of catching rental jeeps on fire. I’m up to 4 now.

I think Phoenix is probably at the top of our list since we haven’t really done Arizona aide from Havasupai Falls. Seeing our friends in Flagstaff (who work at Lowell Observatory) would also be a plus.

I hadn’t looked at that westerly route before, how would all this be affected by winter weather? I stead of jeeping, what about heading over a few hours into Monument Valley from Flagstaff?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For 4x4 specific long distance trips, I like to ask on local forums for any trails or sights I need to see on the way just in case I didn't know about them. If it's easy enough to loop them in I will.

Long distance, I'm packing every single tool I could need for any show stopper breakdowns I suspect and/or fear might happen, as well as the most critical spare parts. I brought quite literally 60lbs of parts and tools to Ohio and back with me recently for example, including essentially every major component of the engine management system along with enough parts to entirely rebuild half of my driveshafts. Anything that's hard to find at chain parts stores and junkyards, I'm bringing. Anything else minor, I'll cross my fingers and hope it won't fail or I'll notice it in time to limp to the first parts store that says it's on the shelf when I call. So far this has served me well.

If I'm traveling in adverse weather conditions I'll bring a Jerry can of gas, spare fluids, and a sleeping bag as well.

Don't forget water... I usually put a few gallon jugs of bottled spring water behind the seats before leaving. I try not to actually use them because I hate the waste of bottled water on principle, filling my nalgene at every stop I can, but they're there for either a drinking water or cooling system emergency.

I second the suggestion of road trip snacks - eating like a kid in a candy store and/or raccoon in a dumpster full of expired gas station snacks is definitely part of the fun. If you're going through Wisconsin, I strongly suggest stocking up on cured meats and cheese curds and such at a gas station, I ate that stuff for literally the next two thousand miles last time. As a bonus, I don't think I had to take a dump from Baraboo WI to Seattle. I can't imagine why.

If you care about the car, put at least a 10lb fire extinguisher in it along with a 5lb within arms reach if you can't reach the 10lb belted in. A fire can take your years long build away from you very quickly if you're far from help, hell even if you're close to help. You don't get much time between when the fire gets big enough to notice and when it gets too big to even have a chance of putting it out, and those little extinguishers don't do poo poo. 10lb is the bare minimum to have even a chance at stopping a car fire. I've seen a jeep get burned to the ground at an off-road park surrounded by people who all had extinguishers simply because they reacted to the fire too late and it got too big to stop.

Make sure your spare is full before rolling.

Pack more clothes than you think you'll need, especially underwear, socks, and if you drive unreliable poo poo like me, sacrificial t shirts for roadside repairs.

If it's a recently finished build I spend 5 minutes after every gas station stop just nut&bolting a section of the car. Try to cover a different area every time you stop. This is how I caught two loose rear brake caliper bolts after losing only one and turned it into a 20 minute $8 delay instead of likely damaging a caliper, wheel, and having to get towed.

If you haven't already, turn your GPS exif tagging on on your phone before you start the fun part of the trip, the tags are definitely helpful remembering where you took pics. If you're security paranoid/aware, just turn them off again once you get to the boring part of your return trip. Some of the places I've been I'd never be able to find on the map if it weren't for a picture or two I took there with GPS tagging turned on.

"Muffler meat" doesn't work so well on the highway in the winter or cooler areas fall/spring but at lower speeds and in the summer, manifold burritos are great. Get the extra heavy tinfoil and use a few layers and they'll be fine. For years I've been debating adding a cooling system heat exchanger for making hot chocolate when snow wheeling but I haven't done it yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

I don’t actually hate jeeps, I just have a bad history of catching rental jeeps on fire. I’m up to 4 now.

I think Phoenix is probably at the top of our list since we haven’t really done Arizona aide from Havasupai Falls. Seeing our friends in Flagstaff (who work at Lowell Observatory) would also be a plus.

I hadn’t looked at that westerly route before, how would all this be affected by winter weather? I stead of jeeping, what about heading over a few hours into Monument Valley from Flagstaff?

Winter weather in AZ, even in the high country, is nothing like what you're used to. Certain high-traffic dirt roads get shut down for the season regardless of actual conditions (north rim of the Grand Canyon, Schnebly Hill Road in Sedona, etc), but by and large road travel is unaffected by snow. There are often entire winters where there's not enough snow at any one point in time to actually cause problems. AZ89/89A is considered a fairly critical road by ADOT so even if enough snow has fallen to require plows, it's right on the top of the list along with I17 and I40.

There's actually three main ways north from Phoenix to Flagstaff - AZ89 up the west side, I17 up the middle, and AZ87 on the east through Payson and then either way east to Winslow or cutting back to I17. It's rare, but not impossible, that snow closures can impact all three simultaneously. If you end up here when there's actually a storm forecast, recommend keeping an eye on ADOT's Twitter because as far as I can tell it's the first thing they update.

I've never done Monument Valley myself but that looks easily doable as a day trip from Flagstaff - three hours there, plenty of time to check things out, three hours back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Routes.

I40 is pretty in northern AZ but super boring. Detour to the Grand Canyon when you get to Williams.
I10 is an armpit till you're about an hour from San Diego.
I8 is very boring. pothole riddled in AZ.
route 66 is weight restricted to 3 tons iirc across many of its bridges.

I5 blooows. Take 99 instead. Still tragic but fewer assholes. Pro is taking 395.
I15 to vegas has some pretty spots around Halloran pass.
93 and 95 are both good scenic drives.
78, 74, 79, 94 are some other local roads that are good.
Can also recommend taking the backroads towards Amboy then to kelbaker road through The Mojave preserve. Hang a right and take Kelso Cima. If you wanna go north stay to the left and head for Baker then take 127 North through Shoshone. If you continue north you'll run into 190 at Death Valley Junction.
Hwy 190 through Death Valley is incredible, howevery incredibly hosed at the time of this posting westward into Panamint springs.
373/374 in NV are good crossovers. Rhyolite is off of 374 and worth a stop.

Places

Pisgah crater is also a neat little find.
San Diego: The Museums and the Zoo is awesome. Do see the Maritime Museum. The Japanese Friendship Garden is excellent. Point Loma has a cool little park at the tip. Avoid Sea World.
The USS Midway is a solid day trip to see it all.
Get out of the cities' core if you want to get to the good food.
The KOA in Chula Vista is downright exquisite with tent sites. One of the better ones for sure. There's another in Campo. Stay there too. A third in Temecula about a mile from where I grew up as a kid riding all the trails around it.

JTNP: I was there ehhh 2 months ago. Blackrock Canyon Campground and Ryan's campground.
If you wanna play in the hills behind it. You will absolutely need high clearance and 4WD. 33.536213, -116.461752, Santa Rosa Yellow Post sites. I camped there with a rv so take with that what you will.
March Air Museum is another good one. I haven't been in a decade and they've changed quite a bit.

Las Vegas: See RedRock, Lake Mead, go climb Mount Charleston if you wanna. There's tons of excellent jeeping trails behind RedRock. Poke around Hoover Dam.
If you take 165 off of 95S you'll run into Nelson. There's a little touristy mining town set up that you can poke around and be amazed at all the vintage equipment that won't die from rusting.
That's about the gist of Vegas.
Goldfield NV has a little carhenge. Take 95N after Beatty to visit it. Tonopah is a sleepy little mining town with a few 4wd tracks around it. Also worth a visit.

DVNP: You can stay at furnace creek. Its been my layover on mototrips, and usually where a moto breaks itself within a mile of the gas station nearby. Go See Artists drive if it's open. There's wheeling there as the year is long, You won't be able to do all of it as of right now. Do what you can. Teakettle crossing, Crankshaft corner, Racetrack Playa, Ubehebe crater, etc.

Wish to see our Galaxy's bands while you camp at night? Take 395, 375, 318, 95, or 6.

Camping

I've had pretty good luck with the national parks and campgrounds, I'm posting from one right now. Every ACOE park I've stayed in has been enjoyable. KOAs are generally a hit. The Journeys are exactly that. A way point to your destination. Other private parks can be really hit or miss, sometimes wanting to fax documents or dare I say a phone call in 2022. Others have vehicle age restrictions, hasn't been an issue.
IOverlander, Campendium, ParkAdvisor, Gaia GPS, and MTBProject are some of the apps I use to find a spot to park. Campendium just now released an android app.
If you're out west:
https://map.purpleair.com/?mylocation
https://fire.airnow.gov/
PNW:
https://data.statesmanjournal.com/fires/
https://enviwa.ecology.wa.gov/home/text/421#Forecast

Old rides and roadtrips

Carry a basic wrench and socket set. Know what fits your vehicle. Big F if you're running a 80s-90s domestic with a smattering of metric, imperial, and wtf who uses 15mm? C-Clamp. BFH. Pliers, Screwdrivers, etc. Your usual suspects.
In the weeks leading up to your trip is when you do the brunt of your maintenance. Don't go into the dez with something deep in maintenance debt. Just don't. Do your fluids, belts, hoses, check your hubs, brakes, etc now, not the day before. Do this now so that you're not carrying 500lb of superfluous bullshit which in itself can lead to a systems breakdown due to the additional load. Fan clutch,rad cap, thermostat and radiator old? Replace it all. You'll get by in the winter. not any other time of year. The strain the desert puts on the cooling system is immense. Especially with the luxuries of air conditioning.
If you're going to wander into the dez, take the amount of water you think you need and double it.

Carry incidentals. Gonna wheel heavy? bring a spare u-joint and a way to replace it. A functioning spare that isn't old as the car. A way to inflate it, patch it, and worst case, an inner tube. A jack rated for the vehicle and a tire iron for it. Spare fluids of every type on the vehicle. Recovery items. Snatch straps, winching lines, etc. A shovel is a must.

Bring. A. First. AId. Kit. One with the ability to sew sutures. If you have a fridge/freezer, bring a cold pack. Bring your basic painkillers and the like. Toothache rubs, etc.
Bring. A. Real. Fire. Extinguisher. Not the little rear end half pounder that falls out of a quarter vending machine.
Optional: A way to radio for help should you totally gently caress yourself. With cell providers and satellite operators working together, this is now easier than ever. In days of old it was satphone/amateur radio/spot devices.

Road Trip Food?
There's a cookbook for that.

Dry rations are good. Jet boils as others have mentioned have been my go-to for years. OG coleman cooktops are good and will do what you need.
Canned goods. Some veggies store well in the heat. Others store well in a cooler not full of ice. If you have the ability to run a fridge/freezer, all the better.
b r i n g some basic spices/sauces/etc to doctor these boring rear end dry rations into something good.
Also bring extra TP in case the doctoring fails.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

In the weeks leading up to your trip is when you do the brunt of your maintenance. Don't go into the dez with something deep in maintenance debt. Just don't. Do your fluids, belts, hoses, check your hubs, brakes, etc now, not the day before. Do this now so that you're not carrying 500lb of superfluous bullshit which in itself can lead to a systems breakdown due to the additional load.

You especially want to do this close enough to the trip that it's still in great shape, but long enough before it that anything you stupidly forgot to tighten (ahem, brake caliper bolts I was almost stranded by) and any defective parts manage to show their colors before you are too far from civilization. The last place you want to find out you double gasketed your oil filter for the first time in your entire wrenching career is 100 miles into the desert when you floor it up a hill and suddenly all your oil is on the outside of the engine and headers.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks for the great input everyone! I’m going to update the OP when I get a chance since there are some really great suggestions.

My road trip - plane tickets are purchased and a Camry reserved. Flying into Phoenix on a Tuesday, arrive in the afternoon. Provision and hotel in Phoenix that night.

A very preliminary plan:

Wednesday- drive to Canyon de Chelly. Stay in Chinle.

Thursday - drive to 4 corners, then Monument Valley. Stay in MV.

Friday - drive to Flagstaff, see Glen Canyon Dam, Horseshoe Bend, and Antelope Canyon along the way.

Saturday/Sunday - Flagstaff, visit our friends, probably side trips.

Monday - Sedona?

Tuesday - finish drive to Phoenix, make Harbor Freight and IKEA stops, get to airport about 5pm to fly home.

We’d like to visit our friends on the weekend, other than that it’s all just ideas at this point. Might do that pie stop IOC mentioned, just need to figure out a route to do that and the good driving road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

kastein posted:

If you haven't already, turn your GPS exif tagging on on your phone before you start the fun part of the trip, the tags are definitely helpful remembering where you took pics. If you're security paranoid/aware, just turn them off again once you get to the boring part of your return trip. Some of the places I've been I'd never be able to find on the map if it weren't for a picture or two I took there with GPS tagging turned on.

Yeah this. I don't have much to add as my road trips in NZ are vastly different to the continent crossing you guys are doing. But one time I just randomly stopped off the main highway and rolled into a random little reserve/campground for a piss and stretch my legs, and it just happened to be a simple but beautiful little spot. Nothing particularly special, just a gravel carpark, a big patch of flat grass surrounded by native bush. No one around for miles and the bird song from the trees was deafening. No way I would have found it again if not for location data.