Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Routes.

I40 is pretty in northern AZ but super boring. Detour to the Grand Canyon when you get to Williams.
I10 is an armpit till you're about an hour from San Diego.
I8 is very boring. pothole riddled in AZ.
route 66 is weight restricted to 3 tons iirc across many of its bridges.

I5 blooows. Take 99 instead. Still tragic but fewer assholes. Pro is taking 395.
I15 to vegas has some pretty spots around Halloran pass.
93 and 95 are both good scenic drives.
78, 74, 79, 94 are some other local roads that are good.
Can also recommend taking the backroads towards Amboy then to kelbaker road through The Mojave preserve. Hang a right and take Kelso Cima. If you wanna go north stay to the left and head for Baker then take 127 North through Shoshone. If you continue north you'll run into 190 at Death Valley Junction.
Hwy 190 through Death Valley is incredible, howevery incredibly hosed at the time of this posting westward into Panamint springs.
373/374 in NV are good crossovers. Rhyolite is off of 374 and worth a stop.

Places

Pisgah crater is also a neat little find.
San Diego: The Museums and the Zoo is awesome. Do see the Maritime Museum. The Japanese Friendship Garden is excellent. Point Loma has a cool little park at the tip. Avoid Sea World.
The USS Midway is a solid day trip to see it all.
Get out of the cities' core if you want to get to the good food.
The KOA in Chula Vista is downright exquisite with tent sites. One of the better ones for sure. There's another in Campo. Stay there too. A third in Temecula about a mile from where I grew up as a kid riding all the trails around it.

JTNP: I was there ehhh 2 months ago. Blackrock Canyon Campground and Ryan's campground.
If you wanna play in the hills behind it. You will absolutely need high clearance and 4WD. 33.536213, -116.461752, Santa Rosa Yellow Post sites. I camped there with a rv so take with that what you will.
March Air Museum is another good one. I haven't been in a decade and they've changed quite a bit.

Las Vegas: See RedRock, Lake Mead, go climb Mount Charleston if you wanna. There's tons of excellent jeeping trails behind RedRock. Poke around Hoover Dam.
If you take 165 off of 95S you'll run into Nelson. There's a little touristy mining town set up that you can poke around and be amazed at all the vintage equipment that won't die from rusting.
That's about the gist of Vegas.
Goldfield NV has a little carhenge. Take 95N after Beatty to visit it. Tonopah is a sleepy little mining town with a few 4wd tracks around it. Also worth a visit.

DVNP: You can stay at furnace creek. Its been my layover on mototrips, and usually where a moto breaks itself within a mile of the gas station nearby. Go See Artists drive if it's open. There's wheeling there as the year is long, You won't be able to do all of it as of right now. Do what you can. Teakettle crossing, Crankshaft corner, Racetrack Playa, Ubehebe crater, etc.

Wish to see our Galaxy's bands while you camp at night? Take 395, 375, 318, 95, or 6.

Camping

I've had pretty good luck with the national parks and campgrounds, I'm posting from one right now. Every ACOE park I've stayed in has been enjoyable. KOAs are generally a hit. The Journeys are exactly that. A way point to your destination. Other private parks can be really hit or miss, sometimes wanting to fax documents or dare I say a phone call in 2022. Others have vehicle age restrictions, hasn't been an issue.
IOverlander, Campendium, ParkAdvisor, Gaia GPS, and MTBProject are some of the apps I use to find a spot to park. Campendium just now released an android app.
If you're out west:
https://map.purpleair.com/?mylocation
https://fire.airnow.gov/
PNW:
https://data.statesmanjournal.com/fires/
https://enviwa.ecology.wa.gov/home/text/421#Forecast

Old rides and roadtrips

Carry a basic wrench and socket set. Know what fits your vehicle. Big F if you're running a 80s-90s domestic with a smattering of metric, imperial, and wtf who uses 15mm? C-Clamp. BFH. Pliers, Screwdrivers, etc. Your usual suspects.
In the weeks leading up to your trip is when you do the brunt of your maintenance. Don't go into the dez with something deep in maintenance debt. Just don't. Do your fluids, belts, hoses, check your hubs, brakes, etc now, not the day before. Do this now so that you're not carrying 500lb of superfluous bullshit which in itself can lead to a systems breakdown due to the additional load. Fan clutch,rad cap, thermostat and radiator old? Replace it all. You'll get by in the winter. not any other time of year. The strain the desert puts on the cooling system is immense. Especially with the luxuries of air conditioning.
If you're going to wander into the dez, take the amount of water you think you need and double it.

Carry incidentals. Gonna wheel heavy? bring a spare u-joint and a way to replace it. A functioning spare that isn't old as the car. A way to inflate it, patch it, and worst case, an inner tube. A jack rated for the vehicle and a tire iron for it. Spare fluids of every type on the vehicle. Recovery items. Snatch straps, winching lines, etc. A shovel is a must.

Bring. A. First. AId. Kit. One with the ability to sew sutures. If you have a fridge/freezer, bring a cold pack. Bring your basic painkillers and the like. Toothache rubs, etc.
Bring. A. Real. Fire. Extinguisher. Not the little rear end half pounder that falls out of a quarter vending machine.
Optional: A way to radio for help should you totally gently caress yourself. With cell providers and satellite operators working together, this is now easier than ever. In days of old it was satphone/amateur radio/spot devices.

Road Trip Food?
There's a cookbook for that.

Dry rations are good. Jet boils as others have mentioned have been my go-to for years. OG coleman cooktops are good and will do what you need.
Canned goods. Some veggies store well in the heat. Others store well in a cooler not full of ice. If you have the ability to run a fridge/freezer, all the better.
b r i n g some basic spices/sauces/etc to doctor these boring rear end dry rations into something good.
Also bring extra TP in case the doctoring fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU