Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Food!

Road trip food should look like a child was let loose in the store with $100. Always. It’s the law :colbert:

That said, aside from the basics like Doritos and jerky, I’ve found a few things really make the trip better.

For starters, bring a cooler and some ice. I have a rotomolded cooler than checks well as luggage so I can use it away from home; it also lets me bring fragile souvenirs back. One big item for me that requires a cooler is kombucha or other live-culture probiotics like yogurt; keeping my system functioning properly on a road trip is a huge issue.

Ginger snacks are great to head off motion sickness without drugs. Candied ginger or ginger chews are my go-to choices. I enjoy both so it doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything weird other than eating more candy than normal.

Coffee is a very personal choice, but I have had great luck with Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso; it’s great for easy coffee on the road:

We bring a hand grinder and an electric Hario kettle on motel trips for pourovers, along with shelf-stable creamers. For snacks on the road, it's important that it's something that you won't get tired of for food in a pinch - nothing sucks more than having a box of protein bars you hate. Wife and I agree on Kind Crunchy Peanut Butter bars.

On transportation, we bring bikes on some trips (esp for Zion and Grand Canyon where having a bike means you can skip shuttles), and having an easy-to-load bike carrier on the hitch is nice. Just remember to bring the bikes inside at night so they don't get stolen in Methville, CA at an overnight stop.

Roof boxes are also nice if you want to carry a bit more stuff and still be able to use the back seat / see out the rear window / want to be able to leave stuff in the car out of sight.

Planning/communication: Figure out a strategy on when to switch drivers and communicating your needs. For example my wife doesn't like doing hairy traffic or squirrely mountain passes, I like to take the first shift in the morning, so this might present issues if there's a pass or a city in the middle of the drive of the day. We also try to alert each other well in advance for bio breaks or nausea so the driver has time to get in the right lane to make an exit instead of having to yeet over 5 lanes of LA traffic in a quarter mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU