Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The good video game > anime conversions are in short supply and usually they depart quite a bit from the video game to make use if the differences in medium, such as with Cyberpunk and Castlevania.

This could work for sure, I hope they're allowed to deviate as much as they want to make it work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's nailed on to be just route A I reckon, and if it somehow does gangbusters, they might do the rest.

Big actual spoilers for the game, though trying to be as vague as possible:
What happens in the intro of C is really hard to reconcile with trying to sell an anime on the back of a beloved highly popular character like 2B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlP8Bl_YCdw

1:08 makes me :thunk:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

It's nailed on to be just route A I reckon, and if it somehow does gangbusters, they might do the rest.

Big actual spoilers for the game, though trying to be as vague as possible:
What happens in the intro of C is really hard to reconcile with trying to sell an anime on the back of a beloved highly popular character like 2B.

It's very important that the entire game be done in anime form.

Specifically Route B. Immediately after Route A. With no changes.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it turns out the entire anime is just 2b jumping between some barrels at the start of the first episode, instantly reaching the true ending

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope there's finally a violent end for that rear end in a top hat Jean-Paul

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I hope there's finally a violent end for that rear end in a top hat Jean-Paul

I like to imagine he went berserk like the rest of the village and died some ignominious death, preferably with one of his sycophants gnawing on his core.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I like to imagine he went berserk like the rest of the village and died some ignominious death, preferably with one of his sycophants gnawing on his core.

:hmmyes:

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Kyoani's not responsible for this one are they?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Supremezero posted:

Okay, but when does Shouta Aoi show up?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Well, we got a release time!

quote:

NieR:Automata Ver1.1a
Sub Launch Time: January 7 at 9:30 a.m. PT
Territories: North America, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa, Oceania, the Middle East and CIS

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/01/05/heres-the-exact-time-the-nierautomata-ver11a-anime-begins-on-crunchyroll

That's 10:30 am MT, 11:30 am CT, 12:30 pm ET, and 5:30 pm GMT.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 7, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tomorrow huh? I’ll be curious to see how abridged this is compared to the game (hopefully not as much as the TWEWY anime was)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
All of route A covered in a single episode.

... actually I came up with the best way to do the anime.

Each episode does the plot as normal

But each episode ends with one of the random endings.

And then the next episode just continues on as if it never happened.

"Wow 2b you beat the giant robot! Wait, don't eat that fish! ... next time, on Nier Automata!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anybody get a chance to check out the premiere yet?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just watched it.

The CG is bad, in the typical anime with bad CGI sense.
It's condensing route A and B, as is sensible.
The 2D animation ranges from mid to good, but not great so far.
The VA is amazing, as is the OST, which you'd expect as they're both inherited from the game.

They're going to do some of the most loved endings as post credits scenes with puppets!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Larryb posted:

Anybody get a chance to check out the premiere yet?

Just did. Going to couch this with the fact that I played the game and thought it was pretty good but I was not super into it and did not probe it for its secrets, so if you're looking for a read on if there's any hints on subverting the story or anything like that I'm not the person to ask.

It seems like a straightforward adaptation based on my memory of it. The 2d animation is pretty good, the CG is kind of stiff and sticks out from the rest of the art. There's a lot of CG so it ends up being kind of unfortunate looking.

They got up to the point where 9S uploads 2B's consciousness to the space station so there's not a ton of opportunity for the writing to stick out yet, and the action seems just okay. I'm honestly looking for people more into Nier to watch and see if anything weird I don't remember is happening or if it's as straightforward as it seems, because if it's the latter I think I'm out.

The OP is fantastic, at least.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Subversion wise:

Other than it being very explicit that there's a love arc going on with 2B and 9S immediately, (i.e. first scene), nothing in this ep.

Also for my money the OP is basic AF and doesn't do much to echo the spirit of the work, but it's not worth losing sleep over.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The CG stood out as notably bad for me too. Otherwise yeah like other people are saying there's not too much that's remarkable about it so far. I guess there are clear nods to Route B already, but there's no way the show was ever going to do all of A and then all of B anyway, so that's not a surprise.

I don't think there's any way around this since the show can't grind to a halt to play a song for four minutes or anything, but only hearing snippets of the songs is bugging me a little bit. Overall I kind of expect the show to be an inferior experience to playing the game again, but I have too many other games to play to jump into a replay right now, so this fills the gap for now anyway. So far I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone new to the franchise on the fence about watching it vs playing the game though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched it myself, the CG leaves a lot to be desired but the 2D animation is nice and I like that they’re using the OST and VAs from the game (though we’ll see if that still holds true once a dub comes out). Combining Routes A & B makes sense but we’ll see if they go beyond that at all

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Supremezero posted:

All of route A covered in a single episode.

... actually I came up with the best way to do the anime.

Each episode does the plot as normal

But each episode ends with one of the random endings.

And then the next episode just continues on as if it never happened.

"Wow 2b you beat the giant robot! Wait, don't eat that fish! ... next time, on Nier Automata!"

Funnily enough this is kind of what they're doing except it's made clear they're random endings and it's a puppet show.

I agree, CG was kinda bad, everything else was fairly enjoyable though.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

This first ep. the show is just ok, tho the puppets are a delight, maybe the talky bits will be better.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Watched the first ep. Disappointed it seems to just be a straight adaptation of the game rather than Yoko Taro doing some insane retelling, like an alt timeline where the heroes are actually the coked up androids in the desert or something.

At least they kept the great music. My favorite part was the puppet theater at the end of the episode. I'd watch a whole series that was nothing but puppet androids loving around.

Would like it if we got the original English voice cast back because of how phenomenal that was, but that would require American companies to give a poo poo about voice actors so probably not.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
Anime succeeded in making me want to play the game again. I look forward to more puppet show endings.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Puppet ending was great. (Particular shoutout to 9S's pronunciation of "Black Box".) Someone has to eventually frame-by-frame the fastforward credits on each joke ending to see what it says different from the game credits.

Overall the episode was pretty faithful to the game opening. I replayed the game last month, actually. Minor differences which might not have much bearing, but we'll see:
-You don't fight a Goliath Flyer in the opening descent.
-The Engels didn't talk in the game opening.
-The Engel you fight in the opening wasn't newly built (it was being repaired/retrofitted) and fights you waterside with the other ones popping up from the water.
-I'm kind of sad 2B didn't complete the opening monologue with the best part of the line:
不可解なパズルを渡した神に
I often think about the God who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle
いつか、私達は弓を引くのだろうか?
and wonder if we’ll ever have the chance to kill him.

-2B's "history" with 9S is a lot more apparent from the get-go with how she reacts to certain lines he says.
-9S wasn't leading 2Bs reinitialization in the Bunker after the black box explosion. They skipped straight past it.
-2D wasn't the unit downed before 2B took command of the initial descent. It was 1D.
-I don't believe there are any neutral robot units in the opening mission. They're all hostile. So that scene with the yellow eyed bots was new.

A lot of this can be explained by just adding some unit diversity and exposition compression. But the fact is, the initial monologue of the game deals with the cycle of life and death. Despite this episode being pretty rote, I'm still expecting it to go off the rails by episode 3. It's version 1.1 for a reason.

The OP was hilarious though. It looked liked something from the mid '00s, but I'm a sucker for Aimer. So, I'm going to be watching it every episode, anyway. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 8, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't have the energy to dissect the OP animation though. There were definitely some characters flashed in it that aren't major players in the main game story.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm seeing how long I can hold out for a dub announcement before caving to watch. If it's not doing anything crazy at the start at least I have a bit of time before I'll feel I need to catch up to see what wild poo poo Taro is pulling this time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Watched the first ep. Disappointed it seems to just be a straight adaptation of the game rather than Yoko Taro doing some insane retelling, like an alt timeline where the heroes are actually the coked up androids in the desert or something.

Yoko Taro apparently said in an interview that his involvement in this is minimal.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's not like Yoko Taro can tell them to make it look good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tighten up the graphics on episode 2

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It's not like Yoko Taro can tell them to make it look good

He'd be more likely to tell them to make it look bad anyway.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Not to be a negative nancy, but I strongly disliked the first half of the episode. Coming from never playing the game, but loving the visuals from stills on Twitter, I took a look at this anime and was a combination of bored and disappointed in the terrible CGI bits. But the voice-acting is lovely and the premise is strong enough for me to keep going. I loved the puppet pals moment at the end.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Pan Dulce posted:

Not to be a negative nancy, but I strongly disliked the first half of the episode. Coming from never playing the game, but loving the visuals from stills on Twitter, I took a look at this anime and was a combination of bored and disappointed in the terrible CGI bits. But the voice-acting is lovely and the premise is strong enough for me to keep going. I loved the puppet pals moment at the end.

the first half is like an uglier version of the game but they added anime explosions and removed the part where you're playing a video game, so that's pretty understandable

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terrible CGI, budget constraints and cut-corners...

A faithful CAVIA experience

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i hope later episodes mostly consist of the hacking minigame

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i think i'll just replay automata instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the second episode was a lot better imo, more world building and going into interesting parts of automata and less reliance on cgi

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This is a lot more of what I was hoping for from this series, it was 80% brand new stuff. Including stuff that's conspicuously different than in the game.

I wonder what the implication is that Lily is the resistance leader in this timeline, not Anemone?

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Yep, this episode was better, and now I'm looking forward to Jackass exploding poo poo. The puppet show continues to be the best part of the anime.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is a lot more of what I was hoping for from this series, it was 80% brand new stuff. Including stuff that's conspicuously different than in the game.

I wonder what the implication is that Lily is the resistance leader in this timeline, not Anemone?

Think it just trims the cast down a bit for the sake of adaptations, really.

I don't think we're going to see much like this episode but maybe we'll see a small number. Definitely bodes well for more A2 (best droid) content.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Think it just trims the cast down a bit for the sake of adaptations, really.

I don't think we're going to see much like this episode but maybe we'll see a small number. Definitely bodes well for more A2 (best droid) content.

It doesn't, though. Lily wasn't in the present day action for Automata at all. Lily instead of Anemone is changing the leader of the Resistance in a way that stands out to returning players. What's more, it can't even be a VA availability thing since Anemone's Japanese VA also plays 21O in the game and the anime.

It feels like it's supposed to be an early warning that the show's going to go in its own direction later on. But then, that might be my Yoko Taro paranoia talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Really liked this episode, much better than the first one and it definitely confirms we're getting different information and stories in the anime. Can't wait for the next one.