Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So one difference I noticed that I don't think was brought up: 2B had a black pod in the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bloody Pom posted:

So one difference I noticed that I don't think was brought up: 2B had a black pod in the first episode.

No she didn't? I think that's just shading/shadow effects of the animation. Dark factory vs. light field. Her pod in both episodes has the orange trim rings.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Other random bits I noticed on first watchthrough.

I'm pretty sure the launch all the robots saw at the beginning of the episode was Beepy's launch during the Prometheus story where he infects the first groups of robots with free will.
Interesting that the hive of robots forming the cocoon for Adam and Eve are reading instead of trying to simulate breeding. Though, I guess it makes sense for the anime to shy away from that a bit.

I may be completely misremembering, but I'm pretty sure the bookmark the flower bot had was Kaine's. Or at least, a callback to Kaine's original human counterpart. I think it's mentioned that she had a bookmark with a beautiful white flower/lunar tear on it. I think this is also called back in SinoALICE, but I'm not sure. The book was Plato's the Φαίδων (Phaedo), the last in the tetralogy about the trial and execution of Socrates.
Also interestingly, it's bootup sequence had last backup in 11944, meaning it awoke, gained all that knowledge, and cultivated that entire area with its friend-bots in less than a year.

Lily being Resistance leader makes me think Anemone got hit with the logic virus instead of her which caused Lily to be the one left behind during the Pacific operation. Either way, I'm guessing that will be one of the big lore items we'll be getting out of the show: Why Lily is here.

I did enjoy the cameos by the various other YoRHa units during the opening Council of Humanity speech. I also like that you get very prominent shots of the Moon with all the damage it sustained because you don't see it basically at all in the game except for a quick shot in Ending E.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

A big chunk of the story with the robot is drawn from the DLC ending and tie-in music video. I love that they're mining the less-prominent corners of the canon and changing things just enough to make everyone try to figure out what's going on, presumably while watching the commotion and going

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I eagerly await Jackass and my best buddy A2
I do not await when the yorha duo take on the giant robot with the rocket and all that CGI

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah that episode did a lot to alleviate the concern that this is just a lesser version seeing the same story I already experienced when playing the game. I assume most episodes will stick closer to the source material, but I'm still a lot more excited to see more episodes than I was after the first.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I asked this in the video games thread but never got a response, but are any of the novels worth reading? I was thinking of checking out what's available in english but I was curious if they were any good or if they were just your typical light novel stuff

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

I asked this in the video games thread but never got a response, but are any of the novels worth reading? I was thinking of checking out what's available in english but I was curious if they were any good or if they were just your typical light novel stuff

The one that retells the story of the game is pretty weak and redundant if you got through ending E in the game. The short story collection was more interesting. The new series I haven't gotten into yet.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
The new manga supposedly tells the story of 2B when she was just made/starting out on her first missions so might be worth a read!

The actual novels I have heard have terrible translations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Have any of the N:A short stories/novels been officially translated?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Short Story Long and Long Story Short have official releases but like mentioned above, I've seen complaints that they're possibly machine translated and edited from such. There were some older reddit threads from a few years ago and I think the amazon reviews that mention it.

I own both but have not read them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How are the Nier and Drakengard series novels/short stories for that matter (assuming any of them have been translated)?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Some of them are in the worldbooks. Can't exactly remember which, though.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Larryb posted:

How are the Nier and Drakengard series novels/short stories for that matter (assuming any of them have been translated)?

I'm pretty sure everything translated at the time The Dark Id did his let's plays was included in his work. A real treasure, him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Some of them are in the worldbooks. Can't exactly remember which, though.

Got them to hand.
In book 1:
"Observation Diary of the Orbital Satellite Base, 'The Bunker'"
"Cage of Memories"
In book 2:
"The Delicate Blossom"
"Deafening Silence of the Sea"
"Splinters of Memory"

Incidentally, an official release of Grimoire Noir Revised (to reflect the re-release v1.22whatever) comes out later this year.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arbite posted:

I'm pretty sure everything translated at the time The Dark Id did his let's plays was included in his work. A real treasure, him.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. A pity he seems to no longer post here as I always enjoyed his LPs

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that. A pity he seems to no longer post here as I always enjoyed his LPs

He actually did explain last month why he gave up: Square-Enix nuked his Youtube account, from orbit, with massive prejudice over unlisted unmonetized music tracks.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Aw gently caress :sigh: that's a huge bummer. I miss his LPs a lot, they were my favorite

Edit: now that I think about it, his original Nier LP was what finally got me to reg an account after years of lurking

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 19, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sadly inevitable, as Square Enix frowns heavily on unofficial uploads of their music that aren't accompanied by gameplay footage. It's why all the uploads of FF14 music are massive spoiler dumps, as they need to have the associated boss battle/zone flythrough going on in the background.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Aw gently caress :sigh: that's a huge bummer. I miss his LPs a lot, they were my favorite

Edit: now that I think about it, his original Nier LP was what finally got me to reg an account after years of lurking

I also registered to read TDI's LPs.
I know he had a hard time of it (and that is an understatement) in recent years but I hope he and his fam are doing well.

Yoko Taro contacted him to give him some goodies due to the Nier LP being so loving of the game and positive, as well as his other Taro game LPs.
It's hard to think back in many ways now, especially given Automata is beloved and the V1.22 version of NieR 1 was well received but NieR original released to utter critical disdain and it was a true cult classic.
It has the rep it always deserved now, but I think it's utterly fair to say that TDI is a significant part of why the greater series got its respect.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I remember all that! I worked at Best Buy when Neir came out and the only reason I was aware of it was because of the Drakengard LP and the constant "lol cavia" jokes. Seriously, that game came out a month or two before FFXIII, i dont feel like it ever really had a chance. And yeah, Id getting the Nier Goodies was such an :unsmith: moment

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looks like Nier is getting postponed due to coronavirus infections
https://twitter.com/NieR_A_ANIME/status/1616820916645666818

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Looks like Nier is getting postponed due to coronavirus infections
https://twitter.com/NieR_A_ANIME/status/1616820916645666818

Does the article say anything about how long the hiatus is going to last?

Appropriately enough though, today’s episode was called “break ti[M]e”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Does the article say anything about how long the hiatus is going to last?

Appropriately enough though, today’s episode was called “break ti[M]e”

No.

Here's the translated version from the website:

quote:

Thank you for your continued support of the TV anime "NieR:Automata Ver1.1a".
Due to the impact of the spread of the new coronavirus "COVID-19" on the video production schedule, we have decided to postpone the broadcast and distribution of episode 4 and beyond.

Therefore, broadcasts by each broadcasting station after Saturday, January 28 will be rebroadcasts of episodes 1 to 3.

Regarding the broadcast and distribution schedule from episode 4 onwards, we will announce it again on the official anime website and official Twitter in the near future.

Although it is a measure based on unforeseen circumstances, we are very sorry for causing trouble and worry to all the fans who are looking forward to the work.
Thank you for your understanding.

January 22, 2023
Humanity Conference

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, that sucks but it’s understandable. Hope they can get things back on track before long as this show’s really started to pick up from the second episode onward

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Jackass rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also just to be clear, is this just an isolated incident among the staff of this particular show or has there been another outbreak in Japan recently that could affect the production of other anime projects as well?

Edit: Looks like the latter near as I can tell, a few other anime have been affected as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 21, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Facade!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I hope they take all the time they need so that people can be safe :ohdear:

Also, the anime has secret codes. Because of course

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2023/01/the-nier-automata-anime-has-secret-codes-in-it-because-of-course-it-does/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jackass rules

Nier: Automata v1.1a patch notes:

- Fixed a bug causing there to be less Jackass than intended

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That was an awesome callback.

Also, the weapons dealer had Kaine's sword.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jackass rules

This, too. More Jackass, please!

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Yeah sad to see it delayed because this episode has me really hyped, but of course safety goes first. The throwback to the first nier game was awesome.

I am surprised at how close before the air date they still need to finish the show though. Always figured they’d have more wiggle room.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rkd_ posted:

Yeah sad to see it delayed because this episode has me really hyped, but of course safety goes first. The throwback to the first nier game was awesome.

I am surprised at how close before the air date they still need to finish the show though. Always figured they’d have more wiggle room.

Some shows do... but that's unusual. (Gridman was the first Trigger anime with full animation ready when the time came for VO work.)

If you've ever seen Shirobako, the thing where they sometimes finish day of is not an exaggeration.

Edit: As for the episode, seems that Lily isn't as good at keeping Jackass on a leash as Anemone was... and it's not like she was on that tight a leash to begin with.

Also, fun fact? The acorn thing was originally Aoi Yuuki's idea. At a dinner show she suggested 9S's backpack was full of treats for woodland animals.

Yoko Taro suggested tissues.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 22, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Some shows do... but that's unusual. (Gridman was the first Trigger anime with full animation ready when the time came for VO work.)

If you've ever seen Shirobako, the thing where they sometimes finish day of is not an exaggeration.

Edit: As for the episode, seems that Lily isn't as good at keeping Jackass on a leash as Anemone was... and it's not like she was on that tight a leash to begin with.

Also, fun fact? The acorn thing was originally Aoi Yuuki's idea. At a dinner show she suggested 9S's backpack was full of treats for woodland animals.

Yoko Taro suggested tissues.

Wait, Aoi Yuki's in this? Who does she play?

Also I forget, was the flashback to the tribe from Nier (along with the robot based on them) in the game? I know Jackass was at least

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

Also I forget, was the flashback to the tribe from Nier (along with the robot based on them) in the game? I know Jackass was at least

Aoi is Pascal's VA.

The flashback was not in the game which is why its so special. But the desert robot mask design was, and was an obvious callback even at the game's release.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yup, as well as a quest where you go looking for artefacts in the desert which are terribly veiled hints that the desert is on top of where Facade was.

The Robots in the arena at the desert essentially discard of any pretense that they're not learning from Facade's history.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Oh, hope the crew recovers quickly!

Now to just wait for it to be reported that a new version of COVID is causing intense pink eye with greater inflammation and odd aggression in those infected~

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Larryb posted:

It wasn’t in the game but it was in the original Nier (now Nier Replicant).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If anyone here loves Automata but hasn't played Replicant, you should absolutely play it.

It's very different really, but it's really good.

Also, I seem to recall Aoi Yuki being super hype to play the game when it came out and she publicised her adventures with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I tried playing the pc version of Nier 1 but couldn't keep on playing. Gameplay is just plain stiff. I blame Platinum on spoiling me with the fluidity of Metal Gear Rising and Nier Automata. :v:

But it's still an interesting *experience* and I watched the whole thing through a Lets Play of Nier Gestalt; Dad Edition(superior version) and it was a good time.