Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Happy Landfill posted:

Ok, so that's really similar to what I was thinking. to 'maintain the status quo is...also pretty bleak. I think any explanation would play in to the rote, circular nature of the whole conflict. Repetition for the sake of itself.

Also, I'll go back and edit that speculation in to a spoiler tag, just in case

Well, the goal of the machines is to keep receiving combat data and evolve endlessly, so not exactly 'repetition for the sake of itself'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Emil's flashback made me tear up a little, great episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Emil's flashback made me tear up a little, great episode

Speaking of, I hope they do an episode based around the Emil sidequest eventually

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Answer in spoilers because we have non-game posters here everything you see is built by the machines between wars to preserve the status quo, even the city ruins. After 13 Machine Wars and something like ten thousand years, it's basically the only explanation that would make sense, considering how pressed for resources and consistently on the backfoot the androids are. I don't remember exactly where this comes up but yeah I had that question in the back of my head for most of the game as well.

Not quite. The answer's actually in an artbook.

When the Androids control territory, they rebuild things exactly as they were when the humans were around, right down to unpaid parking tickets. When the machines take over, things get broken.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

this episode was a real feast for the eyes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Decent episode this week with a lot of good character stuff, seeing 2B with actual emotions was a bit weird though. I forget, was that flashback in the game?

Also A2 has arrived

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 4, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

That flashback was the story of the stage play, right?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Larryb posted:

Decent episode this week with a lot of good character stuff, seeing 2B with actual emotions was a bit weird though. I forget, was that flashback in the game?

Also A2 has arrived

Flashback's in the game as a novel, though from Anemone's perspective. Also that's A2 in the flashback, not 2B.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Flashback's in the game as a novel, though from Anemone's perspective. Also that's A2 in the flashback, not 2B.

Ah ok, that makes more sense.

Also is that Adam and Eve ending shown in the puppet show actually in the game? If so, how do you get it?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, that makes more sense.

Also is that Adam and Eve ending shown in the puppet show actually in the game? If so, how do you get it?

It's a riff on ending L, which you get by running away at the end of Route A instead of defending the resistance camp: "Fed up, 2B left the camp to its fate and decided to...go fishing? Yeah, that's it! Fishing! With a smile on her face, she packed up and headed for the coast. Ten years later, 2B would find herself hunted by both machine lifeforms and YoRHa assassins—a life she seemed to enjoy more than her previous one."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I wonder what happened with Anemone here. She had the same plot as in the play, and was left behind in the same place, but it seems like she didn't make it out.

Could just be suicide, I suppose. She barely didn't do it in the game timeline. Still. I wonder.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was seriously expecting Anemone to get virus'd instead of Lily, but it looks like assault went pretty much in line with the canon story. Though, with A2 appearing for realsies soon, it could be something as simple as her also still being alive only hanging with A2 post-operation instead of heading back to the Resistance. Of course, everything in speculation at this point.

When Lily asked 2B "what kind of memories do you have?", 2B just staring back at her was the equivalent of her screaming into a megaphone and I have to admit, that made me chuckle a bit.

The ED was cute with each member covered by their respective petals, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just found out that this episode was directed by the main director for "86".

That explains a lot, in a positive way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

finally

A2

my fave and there the objective best

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

As someone who wasn't terribly interested in watching the stage play I am happy that this story got adapted like this. It managed to pack more emotion than I remember from reading it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That was a really good episode imo, and seeing A2 at the end was awesome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A2 only appeared at the very end of the episode this week but I imagine she’ll get her moment in the spotlight before long now (though to be fair she was probably the highlight of the whole thing)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 12, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The scenes with Adam and Eve are some good characterization, even if they make Eve seem even more childish than in the game. A2's intro was great. And Pascal seemed a lot more "Aoi Yuki" than "Pascal" with all the manzai bits they tried to shove in there but whatever.

Episode was overall fairly meandering.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pascal's too cute god drat it.

A2 attacking first is interesting, of course, she attacked Pascal rather than the androids.
I'm so glad she showed up for real. I would die for her.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Aw, they didn't show one of my favourite jokes in this script (another flashback showing the kingdom's courtsmen being frustrated that the baby machine king isn't growing up).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Aw, they didn't show one of my favourite jokes in this script (another flashback showing the kingdom's courtsmen being frustrated that the baby machine king isn't growing up).

And then acknowledging that they're all morons.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Good news gang, we're getting an English dub with the original game cast!

https://twitter.com/NieRA_anime_EN/status/1636021570358636546

https://twitter.com/NieRA_anime_EN/status/1636021573433049088

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Finally, I was getting worried it wasn't going to happen. Now I can actually start watching!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Since apparently all I do these days is drunkenly jump into anime threads way too late to rave about their OP's, I'd just like to go on record that I absolutely adore the 1.1a OP. How perfect is it that it is sung from the perspective of 2B, Ms. "Emotions are prohibited", absolutely baring her soul? Her frustration at the never ending war against the machines. Her faltering faith in the ultimate mission of YoRHa. That even though she doesn't fully understand her feelings towards 9S, it absolutely tears at her being to constantly have to kill him over and over and over and over and over again, only for 9S to inevitably turn back up and attach himself to her again without realizing what she's done to his past selves. And of course, her seemingly naive hope that all this madness and suffering has to be worth it, that she can only keep going sustained by the hope that somehow this mad theater she and 9S have been thrust into will have a happy ending when all is said and done.

Also Aimer is just really good, it feels weird to say she's underrated when she's been getting loads of work for years now but I feel comfortable saying she will go down as an absolutely legendary vocalist.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That’s the gimmick with Weight of the World, too. Each linguistic version (English/Japanese/Android) are each supposed to come from a different main character’s perspective.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

is this a retelling of the game or is there extra/exclusive story stuff like other nier adaptations

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dongicus posted:

is this a retelling of the game or is there extra/exclusive story stuff like other nier adaptations

A little of both near as I can tell (they seem to be combining the first two routes into one while also using and expanding on bits of supplementary material)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Also, puppets

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dongicus posted:

The set up and the major themes are the same, but it is (in my opinion) very much its own telling considering how many seemingly innocuous changes there have been. In fact, you'd probably get more out of it if you have played the game, but it very easily stands on its own.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chiasaur11 posted:

Not quite. The answer's actually in an artbook.

When the Androids control territory, they rebuild things exactly as they were when the humans were around, right down to unpaid parking tickets. When the machines take over, things get broken.
Can't believe they gave us this, the fish ending, and bikini Jackass all in a single episode.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Goddammit they're delaying the next ep due to Covid again.

Also did anyone else notice what looked like the corpse of Grun in the flooded city?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, has the first episode of the dub come out yet? If so, how is it?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Maybe I'm being too cynical but a second Covid delay a month after the last one ended sounds suspiciously like a dog ate their homework. Like I don't doubt that someone got Covid at some point or that it disrupted their schedule at all, but it feels like there have to be other issues involved on top of that for them to lose this many weeks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Goddammit they're delaying the next ep due to Covid again.

Also did anyone else notice what looked like the corpse of Grun in the flooded city?

At 5:05, to the right of the pointy building? Yes, I noticed that too.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Nier:Automata Ver 1.1a -

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Nice catch.

Anyone have any idea what the sparks behind 9S's head when the lights go out are supposed to represent?

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

YF-23 posted:

Nice catch.

Anyone have any idea what the sparks behind 9S's head when the lights go out are supposed to represent?

I assumed it had to do with Pod disappearing, like him being disconnect from Pod or something.
I did not go back though to see if Pod was in that shot too, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I love how the title of the episode is Did you eat the mackerel?

Good stuff. Got a few side quest callouts and a new way for 9S to get captured by Adam. More mystery with the relationship between the Commander and the Council of Humanity which I'm starting to think is the robot network consciousness playing a more active role in this version.

6O and 21O continue to be the best. I'm hoping we get a second season/cour with having only 4 episodes left because introducing A2 last episode and then not really getting to her until Route C is kind of annoying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I recall reading this is a 26 episoder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Has there been any indication of when this is starting up again?

Also apparently the English Dub has started and is already up to ep 5 without me noticing.