Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Has there been any indication of when this is starting up again?

Also apparently the English Dub has started and is already up to ep 5 without me noticing.

It might not be for a while unfortunately, its timeslot is currently being taken up by a rerun of a series called Horimiya (and it seems said series has a side story anthology season coming up soon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Two multi week delays in as many months blamed on covid sounds like they're teeing up a force majeure exit, if their contracts are written to allow that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the plague killing the anime is a pretty yoko taro thing to have happened so i wouldn't rule out it never coming back

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m hoping the series doesn’t get cancelled outright but we’ll see how things go I guess

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's an adaptation of a pretty well known game by a major studio I doubt it gets cancelled since it'd be a pretty big black mark. They'll probably just wait till they have most of the rest in the can and than air it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wonder if we'll ever find out what really went wrong, there's no way it was just Covid in 2023.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I wonder if we'll ever find out what really went wrong, there's no way it was just Covid in 2023.

A lot of outsourcing to Chinese studios, which were dealing with a huge surge in covid due to being on strict lock down for 3 years. But also just too many projects at A-1 Pictures and too much of a reliance on outsourcing with a too tight schedule.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Julias posted:

A lot of outsourcing to Chinese studios, which were dealing with a huge surge in covid due to being on strict lock down for 3 years. But also just too many projects at A-1 Pictures and too much of a reliance on outsourcing with a too tight schedule.

Oh thanks, I didn't know about the outsourcing but that makes sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Voice talents getting popped will absolutely do it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1672170511940603907?t=diPqAEd4RhEUsm-FG4b8jQ&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to hear, hopefully things will be able to continue on uninterrupted from here

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This concerns me because it makes me think they’re shoving four episodes out the door to maintain some kind of contractual timeline and the quality is going to massively suffer for it.

I can only hope to be wrong.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thats the entire rest of the episodes and they should of had more than enough time to animate them and do them well.....but well poor planning got them into this mess in the first place!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It’s supposed to be 24 eps. Whether the cours are running sequentially or if there will be a gap is unknown.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

oh wow than yeah I'd be worried given everything lamo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My assumption for the delay being this long was that covid did a number on a member of the voice cast. I'm having a hard time figuring out another role that could affect the production this much (but I'm hardly knowledgeable and open to being corrected on this). My second guess is that this is Yoko Taro messing with us somehow.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If it was a voice actor it'd be like a week or 2 delay at max and we probably would of heard about it. This was probably the overseas in-between staff and cause Aniplex had a crazy amount of shows they couldn't pivot on any of them at all

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pretty much every aniplex-produced show from winter season got delayed by some amount, this won't even be the last one to finish airing 12 episodes. it's not one person, it's a systemic thing, pushing a bunch of shows into production without the resources to support them all.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

pretty much every aniplex-produced show from winter season got delayed by some amount, this won't even be the last one to finish airing 12 episodes. it's not one person, it's a systemic thing, pushing a bunch of shows into production without the resources to support them all.
Yeah it's this. My understanding is a lot of their work was being outsourced to China, and when China got hit with a new covid wave, it put too much strain on the Productions of various concurrent projects.

This is why I'm always a fan of finishing anime way in advance of the release, even if it means you can't change much due to viewer feedback. Just a much healthier production cycle all around for the staff.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I would imagine they probably wanted to air the last episodes of the cour uninterrupted and they just couldn't secure a timeslot for it and this was the best they could settle for. Possibly the episodes have already been done for a while even, or at least some of them.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Julias posted:

Yeah it's this. My understanding is a lot of their work was being outsourced to China, and when China got hit with a new covid wave, it put too much strain on the Productions of various concurrent projects.

This is why I'm always a fan of finishing anime way in advance of the release, even if it means you can't change much due to viewer feedback. Just a much healthier production cycle all around for the staff.

Yeah, I don't understand how companies can just essentially play chicken with the finishing of an episode and it's air date. The anime industry is so hosed, it makes me sad

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime is finally back now with the last 4 episodes (of the first part at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 23, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Still waiting for it on the usual sources. :pirate:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doodles posted:

Still waiting for it on the usual sources. :pirate:

It should be up on those sources now as well (that’s where I watched the episodes actually)

A second cour has also been confirmed but no release date has been specified yet, hopefully the show has less production issues going forward

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I was really worried with such a lengthy hiatus that they might just try to wrap things up here. I'm glad that's not the case because I really can't wait to see the rest of the story

Last 4 eps were really good! Some interesting changes. Hopefully more puppets!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Second season they better get six in the can before they start airing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how do you get the drunk 9S ending (or was that segment an anime exclusive)?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you get the drunk 9S ending (or was that segment an anime exclusive)?

Just don't do anything while Popola and Devola are holding off enemies so you can get in the tower.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Second season they better get six in the can before they start airing.

The trailer has some clips from much later on in the plot, at least. Might be a pre-vis trailer, but if it represents actual progress, they'll probably have things sorted out a bit a bit better in round 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if the anime will tackle the Emil sidequest at all and what ending they’ll ultimately use

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

They already totally wrote out Emil's introduction at the mall and adapted ending Y which wouldn't make sense to do if they were intending on adapting his quest, seems pretty clear they've just decided he was superfluous and cut him for time, there might be more backstory nods like in the village but I doubt he'll have any actual major role in the story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitznBurst posted:

They already totally wrote out Emil's introduction at the mall and adapted ending Y which wouldn't make sense to do if they were intending on adapting his quest, seems pretty clear they've just decided he was superfluous and cut him for time, there might be more backstory nods like in the village but I doubt he'll have any actual major role in the story.

Would there still be time to do it in the second season though or are we past the point where it’d make sense?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He could show up anywhere, this is already deviating from what we saw in the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

He could show up anywhere, this is already deviating from what we saw in the game.

True, it was pretty clear early on that this wasn't going to be a 1:1 adaption of the game. In any case, looking forward to seeing what the next part brings (and hopefully S2 will have fewer production delays)

It seems like they’re sort of tackling the multiple route aspect of the game as well since there was a brief credits sequence in the middle of the finale complete with a rendition of Weight Of The World (the English version interestingly enough)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 26, 2023

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Yeah there's technically nothing actually stopping him from just showing up at any point in cour 2 and asking our protagonists to go find him some flowers. Just seems more likely to me that they decided Emil's quest was too superfluous to be worth dedicating significant screentime to and to give him some other role instead, maybe a major one or maybe just removing him and throwing in some lore nods to compensate. I would imagine we'll get something more about him, whether we actually meet him or just find another head somewhere or something, but beyond that who knows.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I mean, his head showed up in the tree and started flashing memories of Kaine and Nier. The show seems to be implying that his presence is facilitating the machines breaking from the network somehow

Just sad that we might not hear Emil's Shop Song this time around :sigh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I mean. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping another Emil from showing up since there's nothing confirming the one we deal with in the game is the last non-insane copy floating around. It could be a whole thing where he does randomly show up with his shop in cour 2, begging the question of the nature of his existence.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Midjack posted:

Yeah, and I also sincerely doubt that the character whose mask the director wears in any sort of public relations-facing event would fail to make a substantial appearance in the anime based on said director's work.

I will admit that having Eve die instead of Adam piqued my interest in seeing just how far the deviation goes.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BlitznBurst posted:

Superfluous?

Superfluous?!?!??!

Mah boi Emil is never superfluous, he's there to make sure every day's a sale, and thus, a WIN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Emil can run the after credit shorts