Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I know Taro is pretty involved in most Nier supplementary material, but is there any word on how involved he is with this project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Supremezero posted:

He's listed as writer. So, uh, probably "very"

Sweet. There’s already talk that one of the androids shown in the trailers is the main character of some of the side material. This is going to be such a lore clusterfuck. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As long as Weight of the World plays at the most opportune time, I'll be happy.

I'm pretty sure I have be programmed with a Pavlovian reaction to that song now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I hope there's finally a violent end for that rear end in a top hat Jean-Paul

I like to imagine he went berserk like the rest of the village and died some ignominious death, preferably with one of his sycophants gnawing on his core.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Puppet ending was great. (Particular shoutout to 9S's pronunciation of "Black Box".) Someone has to eventually frame-by-frame the fastforward credits on each joke ending to see what it says different from the game credits.

Overall the episode was pretty faithful to the game opening. I replayed the game last month, actually. Minor differences which might not have much bearing, but we'll see:
-You don't fight a Goliath Flyer in the opening descent.
-The Engels didn't talk in the game opening.
-The Engel you fight in the opening wasn't newly built (it was being repaired/retrofitted) and fights you waterside with the other ones popping up from the water.
-I'm kind of sad 2B didn't complete the opening monologue with the best part of the line:
不可解なパズルを渡した神に
I often think about the God who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle
いつか、私達は弓を引くのだろうか?
and wonder if we’ll ever have the chance to kill him.

-2B's "history" with 9S is a lot more apparent from the get-go with how she reacts to certain lines he says.
-9S wasn't leading 2Bs reinitialization in the Bunker after the black box explosion. They skipped straight past it.
-2D wasn't the unit downed before 2B took command of the initial descent. It was 1D.
-I don't believe there are any neutral robot units in the opening mission. They're all hostile. So that scene with the yellow eyed bots was new.

A lot of this can be explained by just adding some unit diversity and exposition compression. But the fact is, the initial monologue of the game deals with the cycle of life and death. Despite this episode being pretty rote, I'm still expecting it to go off the rails by episode 3. It's version 1.1 for a reason.

The OP was hilarious though. It looked liked something from the mid '00s, but I'm a sucker for Aimer. So, I'm going to be watching it every episode, anyway. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 8, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't have the energy to dissect the OP animation though. There were definitely some characters flashed in it that aren't major players in the main game story.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bloody Pom posted:

So one difference I noticed that I don't think was brought up: 2B had a black pod in the first episode.

No she didn't? I think that's just shading/shadow effects of the animation. Dark factory vs. light field. Her pod in both episodes has the orange trim rings.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Other random bits I noticed on first watchthrough.

I'm pretty sure the launch all the robots saw at the beginning of the episode was Beepy's launch during the Prometheus story where he infects the first groups of robots with free will.
Interesting that the hive of robots forming the cocoon for Adam and Eve are reading instead of trying to simulate breeding. Though, I guess it makes sense for the anime to shy away from that a bit.

I may be completely misremembering, but I'm pretty sure the bookmark the flower bot had was Kaine's. Or at least, a callback to Kaine's original human counterpart. I think it's mentioned that she had a bookmark with a beautiful white flower/lunar tear on it. I think this is also called back in SinoALICE, but I'm not sure. The book was Plato's the Φαίδων (Phaedo), the last in the tetralogy about the trial and execution of Socrates.
Also interestingly, it's bootup sequence had last backup in 11944, meaning it awoke, gained all that knowledge, and cultivated that entire area with its friend-bots in less than a year.

Lily being Resistance leader makes me think Anemone got hit with the logic virus instead of her which caused Lily to be the one left behind during the Pacific operation. Either way, I'm guessing that will be one of the big lore items we'll be getting out of the show: Why Lily is here.

I did enjoy the cameos by the various other YoRHa units during the opening Council of Humanity speech. I also like that you get very prominent shots of the Moon with all the damage it sustained because you don't see it basically at all in the game except for a quick shot in Ending E.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That was an awesome callback.

Also, the weapons dealer had Kaine's sword.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jackass rules

This, too. More Jackass, please!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

Wait, Aoi Yuki's in this? Who does she play?

Also I forget, was the flashback to the tribe from Nier (along with the robot based on them) in the game? I know Jackass was at least

Aoi is Pascal's VA.

The flashback was not in the game which is why its so special. But the desert robot mask design was, and was an obvious callback even at the game's release.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I would say probably not a huge amount.
It's the ending E from Grimoire Noir brought into the game itself, and doesn't really retroactively change much of Automata as the content of that ending already existed before Automata's creation. Some of the imagery used in game is changed from the book to match with Automata versus it being a bit vaguer/more generic in Grimoire Noir. the data centre thingy at the forest of myth tree looks like the copied city now, the avatar is based on 2B and 9S instead of a singular character

Most of the stuff that affects Automata from Replicant but isn't actually in a game in the truest sense is the side stories. such as Emil fighting the alien invasion (another jokey thing that oops not a joke!) and beepy giving the machines free will. Think that might have been a Drakengard supplemental tho.

Other aspects that are sort of important in a way is that it's pseudo confirmed that A2's personality is based on Kainé's memories, which in turn also means 2B's is.

One thing I've not really got to the bottom of is the implications of FFXIV's crossover with NieR A. There's not much on the internet to brush up on the FFXIV raid and I cba to watch all the cutscenes back.

Its implied by the last words of the Administrators in ending E that Kaine somehow fuses multiple timelines together by loving with the record of humanity. As for the Administrators'/A2/2B/9S's forms, it's kind of a mixed bag as far as their origin implications. The best explanation I can come up with is the Administrators created to manage the remaining maso and the record of humanity by Project Gestalt are used as the templates for the No. 2 and No. 9 prototypes Zinnia made just before the founding of YoRHa. And somewhere along the way, Kaine's personality was integrated into the No. 2 Administrator programming since they were so interested in her leading up to Grimoire Nier/Ending E before being loaded into A2. Or that A2 was just a special case as the first non-prototype No. 2 unit. But there's nothing confirming that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugblatter posted:

https://youtu.be/PsQko0cn8qU

Yoko Taro wrote a Nier short film with puppets. It’s ostensibly a music video for the show’s credit song, though the song doesn’t start until the “music video” hits its own credits 10 minutes in.

Anyway, it’s neat. And disturbing, depicting the machines as child soldiers dealing with existential despair. Very Yoko Taro.

:stare: That was.....indeed very Yoko Taro. Holy poo poo.

The distorted acoustic versions of game background music during the show were sweet, but now we have to wait for someone to translate the hex from the glitchy looping credits.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, the fight with Simone was pretty loving awesome.

But what the gently caress was with the Commander reporting to the "council"? She knows they don't actually exist. So...is there actually humanity on the moon in this version? Or is the Commander in the dark about the nature of YoRHa, too? Like...that one scene opened way more questions than anything else so far. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sindai posted:

They go completely unseen in the game but clearly there's a level of android authority above the Commander and YoRHa, since someone had to design and build them. The game implies they're not on the Moon with the nearly empty shipping manifest IIRC but it doesn't make much of a difference whether they're there or on Earth.

At least in game/side material, there isn't, actually. The creator of YorHa, Zinnia, gets merc'd by the No. 9 prototype who then sets the entire YorHa plan into motion with the No. 2 prototype. YorHa is only like....15 years old at the start of Automata. I think it's pretty clear that the only people who know the truth about YorHa are the Commander, the various incarnations of No.9/9S who inevitably crack the main server, and the central robot consciousness which finds the backdoor No. 9 placed there at the start.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Another good episode. Still waiting for my girl to show up. Though, if they follow the basic quest series from the game, next episode will probably be the Engel attack in the city center.

In the flashback, the character design for Kaine seemed a bit different from other media. Though, it may have just been the smile. Kaine and smiles don't mix.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was seriously expecting Anemone to get virus'd instead of Lily, but it looks like assault went pretty much in line with the canon story. Though, with A2 appearing for realsies soon, it could be something as simple as her also still being alive only hanging with A2 post-operation instead of heading back to the Resistance. Of course, everything in speculation at this point.

When Lily asked 2B "what kind of memories do you have?", 2B just staring back at her was the equivalent of her screaming into a megaphone and I have to admit, that made me chuckle a bit.

The ED was cute with each member covered by their respective petals, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The scenes with Adam and Eve are some good characterization, even if they make Eve seem even more childish than in the game. A2's intro was great. And Pascal seemed a lot more "Aoi Yuki" than "Pascal" with all the manzai bits they tried to shove in there but whatever.

Episode was overall fairly meandering.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That’s the gimmick with Weight of the World, too. Each linguistic version (English/Japanese/Android) are each supposed to come from a different main character’s perspective.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dongicus posted:

is this a retelling of the game or is there extra/exclusive story stuff like other nier adaptations

The set up and the major themes are the same, but it is (in my opinion) very much its own telling considering how many seemingly innocuous changes there have been. In fact, you'd probably get more out of it if you have played the game, but it very easily stands on its own.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I love how the title of the episode is Did you eat the mackerel?

Good stuff. Got a few side quest callouts and a new way for 9S to get captured by Adam. More mystery with the relationship between the Commander and the Council of Humanity which I'm starting to think is the robot network consciousness playing a more active role in this version.

6O and 21O continue to be the best. I'm hoping we get a second season/cour with having only 4 episodes left because introducing A2 last episode and then not really getting to her until Route C is kind of annoying.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This concerns me because it makes me think they’re shoving four episodes out the door to maintain some kind of contractual timeline and the quality is going to massively suffer for it.

I can only hope to be wrong.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It’s supposed to be 24 eps. Whether the cours are running sequentially or if there will be a gap is unknown.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I mean. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping another Emil from showing up since there's nothing confirming the one we deal with in the game is the last non-insane copy floating around. It could be a whole thing where he does randomly show up with his shop in cour 2, begging the question of the nature of his existence.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. Finally sitting down to finish out the cour. Random comments are in chronological order as I watch the episodes, so be ready for a stream of conciousness.

Ep. 8 (Rewatch): Big thing I missed on first watch was the static next to 9S's ear right as the lights start the flicker in the painting room. He was trapped in cyberspace as soon as that happened and way before he actually walked down the hallway with Adam hovering around him.

Ep. 9:
It seems extra creepy having Adam bust out the "Don't you wanna **** 2B" line. :stare:
Ok. The cathedral section of the Copied City....wasn't there a deleted area in the game where you went into the cathedral for more dialogue and/or a special encounter? Or am I confusing it with a fan-hack?
Linking it into the Nier Library instead of that reveal being later makes sense, especially as a backdrop to the Adam fight.
Compressing the alien reveal into it, eh? Huh.
AND the human reveal!? Goddamn. Wait. Then what's up with the Commander's overheard conversation with the Moon? I swear they were going for Humanity isn't actually extinct in this timeline since the Commander is supposed to know, anyway. Unless the "Moon" folks were the machines posing and the Commander doesn't know that yet?
What the gently caress?! Eve bites it this time? But he wasn't severed from the network, right?
That was a good episode.
I legit want half of those T-shirts. Particularly the mackerel one and the council of humanity one. :v:

Ep. 10:

Ok. I was concerned they were going try to make the cult less....culty? The pods straight whipping out their gatling guns when the machines start chant was hilarious. Also....I guess this implies they were part of Eve's portion of the network? (Or they just wanted to have a reason to not use the controversial phrase "Kami ni naru")
Kind of sad the So-Shi fight was so short. The wave of robots flooding up like they were going to Matrix squid rush 2B and just dive into the molten metal was an ok gag.
Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between how Adam is handling Eve's death and how Eve handled Adam's in the game. Or maybe that's the point?

Ep. 11:

Ah, yes. Nothing's better than playing classical music over a muted scene of slaughter and mayhem.
Ahhhh. They name dropped the carrier that get's demolished in the battle with Grün.
Uhhhhh.....Moon folks going for instrumentality, here? Sooooo, humanity is dead but their remaining data has an AI attached to it that wants to attain godhood?
Big generic hulk was boring, but understandable when they wanted to get the whole Resistance involved in the battle with Lily being a focus. The fight with the red units was sweet. I just wish it lasted more than 30 seconds. :(
Satellite laser cool. Time to see what the implications for that will be.
That reminds me. I should've pet my pods more in the game.

Ep. 12:

2B allowing 9S come along into the pit while missing his right hand seems out of character, honestly.
Yaaay. A2 shot.
The English version of Weight of the World is a good choice. Also....mid-episode credits. This should be interesting.
Ok. Just doing the Route B 9S resync process/reveals.
Hmmm. A No.9 call out. I'm guessing that little speech we heard while 9S was getting the secret files was No.9's recording/explanation for creating the back door into the bunker server.
Uhhhhhh...I'm 90% sure those quick screen flashes right before the end of the episode were different times 2B had to kill 9S. :stare:

Overall really good. I like the changes for the most part. Still need to wait for what kind of weird fallout emerges, but I think it was a good encapsulation of Routes A+B.

Biggest disappointment: When 2B finally got access to Virtuous Treaty, I was hoping for some dual wielding/combo action. Sadly, that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Let's get to the good poo poo!