Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Monaghan posted:

They confirmed that Hathaway is going to be a years long thing. They're gonna finish the trilogy but over the course of a couple of years.

I think Covid also messed up their plans.

Yeah Covid messed up their plans. They wanted to do physical location scouting for the film. It seems like the next film takes place in Australia and it was difficult for them to get in for a while.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-12-03/gundam-hathaway-producer-2nd-film-may-not-open-before-2024/.180257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Honestly, while these TV recuts are almost universally bad, in NT's case it might actually improve the end product depending on what kind of content they add to pad it. If they pad it out with stuff like "Jona actually gets to talk to people and have character development" and "the constant flashbacks are segregated into their own episodes instead of constantly cutting up the action sequences and ruining any sense of tension or excitement", then slowing NT down might be a net gain in quality.

Really, there's nowhere to go but up.

How much new dialogue and character development did the origin and unicorn tv cuts add?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

How much new dialogue and character development did the origin and unicorn tv cuts add?

Not much, to be honest, but Narrative is so uniquely bad that maybe a different take on it will make it less loving awful.

Even doing absolutely nothing but recutting the existing footage so the flashbacks don't interrupt every action scene constantly would be a marked improvement.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think you are being too hopeful but it'd be cool if you're right

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I honestly doubt that the TV recuts are going to do any of these films favors. They're probably just using them to gauge interest levels to determine what UC project gets worked on after they finish the Hathaway films. A TV reminder can reignite interest even if you're stuck with a substantially worse viewing experience.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Those tv edits are going to be exactly like Unicorn and Origin ones were, no new scenes, no new editing, just the original material cut into 20 minute chunks with new OP/ED sequences and "Previously on..." recaps to fill out the minutes

They're just low investment timeslot holders.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s just to give the G-Witch team a breather. (And probably allow them to find out if they have another season or not.)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

psyer posted:

Yeah Covid messed up their plans. They wanted to do physical location scouting for the film. It seems like the next film takes place in Australia and it was difficult for them to get in for a while.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-12-03/gundam-hathaway-producer-2nd-film-may-not-open-before-2024/.180257
i’d call that a weak reason, but the location scouting really pays off in Hathaway One, driving home that the movie is happening in “our world” better than any past gundam property (i haven’t seen IBO and inland canada is a fake place anyway)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TenementFunster posted:

i’d call that a weak reason, but the location scouting really pays off in Hathaway One, driving home that the movie is happening in “our world” better than any past gundam property (i haven’t seen IBO and inland canada is a fake place anyway)

I wonder if they sent anyone to Canada in prep for the final stretch of IBO's first season.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
well I’m sure Edmonton enjoyed its moment in the sun there

also what an arbitrary choice for the capital of a mega nation including Alaska and Russia too

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

also what an arbitrary choice for the capital of a mega nation including Alaska and Russia too
i have a Gundam Buddy who is from suburban edmonton (all of edmonton is a suburb tho?) and he was losing his mind over seeing places he knew IRL get demolished by gundams. they deffo did location scouting. it’s such a cool thing to do!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have some family in Edmonton and visit every so often, and so I recognized some stuff too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I honestly doubt that the TV recuts are going to do any of these films favors. They're probably just using them to gauge interest levels to determine what UC project gets worked on after they finish the Hathaway films. A TV reminder can reignite interest even if you're stuck with a substantially worse viewing experience.

there's no way the thunderbolt tv cut gets another thunderbolt to happen, i'm done with that false hope

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They could probably fix Narrative up by just doing it's SRW 30 story arc in anime form, complete with Quattro and Amuro (actual UC continuity be damned)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ninjewtsu posted:

i think you are being too hopeful but it'd be cool if you're right

See, that's the thing, the difference between Unicorn and Narrative (among other things) is that you can improve Narrative by ripping poo poo out of it because of how sloppily and bizarrely it was put together. Unicorn, for all its faults, was put together much more coherently and had actual intentionality behind what it was and did. People can, do, and should argue the merits of its story, but you'll find many fewer people arguing it was poorly produced because it wasn't. You can't just hack out a chunk of Unicorn and make the construction for it better because somebody put that chunk there on purpose for good or ill. Narrative, meanwhile, would benefit from a judicious attack by an editing chainsaw.

I doubt they WILL make Narrative better since lol it's Narrative, you think the people at the studio really care that much? Did you WATCH Gundam NT? But hypothetically they COULD improve the mess that was Narrative by reediting it into a better told story.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They could probably fix Narrative up by just doing it's SRW 30 story arc in anime form, complete with Quattro and Amuro (actual UC continuity be damned)

This is also true.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SatoshiMiwa posted:

i watched NT in theaters and the SRW30 arc was way more coherent

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

We are talking a government who placed their major military bases in Jaburo and Kilimanjaro, and who placed their major administrative capitals in Dakar, then Dublin and then Lhasa of all loving places to put a capital of the world.

TenementFunster posted:

i watched NT in theaters and the SRW30 arc was way more coherent

I'd say NT's problem was that it was too coherent, if anything, because it had quite a simple story and characters and all the flashbacks happening constantly means it's really hard not to get what they are. It's problem is less coherency and more that it's just messy. Omnicron said that it's not intentional, but the placement is so bizarre and intrusive that I think it has to be an intentional choice. It's a bad one, and the regular intrusion into any action destroys the pace, but I can't see how you could insert so many flashbacks without it being a choice on someone's part because they thought this best served their vision of the story. Someone who didn't care would make a much more generic script with only one or two flashbacks, rather than the dozen or so in NT.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

We are talking a government who placed their major military bases in Jaburo and Kilimanjaro, and who placed their major administrative capitals in Dakar, then Dublin and then Lhasa of all loving places to put a capital of the world.

No we aren't. We're talking about a government organized after an apocalyptic war by a bunch of probably-child-soldier giant robot pilots who wanted to make sure there wouldn't be another apocalyptic war, and that other people would handle the politics while they just loom over everyone's shoulders so they won't build killbots again.

Presumably, Edmonton was one of the least hosed over cities remaining, so it got the capital title by default.

(For comparison, in WWII the Soviet Union lost about 14 percent of its population. The Calamity War got 25 percent of humanity in general, spread throughout the solar system. There weren't going to be many cities in shape for a victory parade.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh right, I should have said "we're talking about a franchise where the major world governments place their bases and capitals in oddball places" since I forgot we were talking about separate settings within the franchise. Still, the point stands that the world powers in Gundam generally go for more out of the way locales, rather than the obvious ones like New York, London etc.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Did Wing or X have any real-world locations?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

ManSedan posted:

Did Wing or X have any real-world locations?

Wing had Luxembourg (Treize's mansion where Epyon is stored), Brussels (The shelter Heero blasts in EW) and Siberia (Where Heero blows up Wing. Well, one of the times he blows up Wing) off the top of my head.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Complete_Cynic posted:

Wing had Luxembourg (Treize's mansion where Epyon is stored), Brussels (The shelter Heero blasts in EW) and Siberia (Where Heero blows up Wing. Well, one of the times he blows up Wing) off the top of my head.

Noin’s pilot training school is in Australia

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X is after like 25 colony drops so I don't think it could've had any real world locations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dynamite Dog posted:

Noin’s pilot training school is in Australia

And there's that one duel between Heero and Zechs at the Antartica research base?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
ok when put that way I’m imagining that the only way the IBO universe could be more dire is if Saskatoon or Fort Mac was the capital of Arbrau instead of Edmonton

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 30, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dakar isn't a bad spot for a centralized world government if you're going for the "center of the world" geographical gimmick.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Edmonton has a big mall, so that’s neat

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

jaburo makes sense as a base for forces that need to go to space. the amazon is really dense, inhospitable, and close to the equator

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dynamite Dog posted:

jaburo makes sense as a base for forces that need to go to space. the amazon is really dense, inhospitable, and close to the equator

The only part of that calculus that makes sense is the "close to the equator" part. Logistics would be a nightmare unless the whole facility was self contained and capable of growing food, producing ammunition, and all the other things you normally have to make elsewhere and ship to the front.

Dense, inhospitable jungle is a terrible place for a military headquarters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

The only part of that calculus that makes sense is the "close to the equator" part. Logistics would be a nightmare unless the whole facility was self contained and capable of growing food, producing ammunition, and all the other things you normally have to make elsewhere and ship to the front.

Wasn't that why taking Jaburo was such a pain? They had some manufacturing capability considering that's where the GM's were developed and built, weren't they?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Warmachine posted:

or, you know, you supply it from above...like if you had space forces...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm so glad we have 2 general gundam franchise threads lol

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1575875273005768704

Between the clearly unplanned split cour and this...sure isn't giving me a lot of hope for the series. You'd think Gundam of all franchises would get a better treatment. And according to AnimeAjay apparently even episode 3 isn't done yet, clearly something isn't going great for the series' planning.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dynamite Dog posted:

or, you know, you supply it from above...like if you had space forces...

Sounds a lot more expensive than rivers, boats, roads, trucks, and trains. Also sounds harder to secure. And lacks redundancy--if Zeon has control of space, you're hosed. Oh, wait...

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm so glad we have 2 general gundam franchise threads lol

Hopefully in a couple of days that'll sort itself out. Because yeah I'm definitely having some "wait where did I post that?" moments.

edit:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Between the clearly unplanned split cour and this...sure isn't giving me a lot of hope for the series. You'd think Gundam of all franchises would get a better treatment. And according to AnimeAjay apparently even episode 3 isn't done yet, clearly something isn't going great for the series' planning.

lmao nevermind

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Crunchyroll and Gundam Info were their online streaming options but is the show still getting a general TV broadcast in Japan? It sucks for people like me who don't have CR if it doesn't go up on Info but that's not an immediate deathknell for the show if it gets a healthy domestic following.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's airing on TV, yeah, this is just the Asia/Oceania streaming. And it'll still be on CR.

I'd guess it's something with rights in SEA or something.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 30, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah this does not mean anything if it still airs on CR and TV.

Also the split cour was probably planned.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like if the split cour was an unplanned emergency measure, we'd be hearing about it at like episode 4 and not like half a week before the show begins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Someone made a Bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I can't say my gut bats a thousand, but this feels like a bad sign. I was kind of worried about the show's production from the split cour thing and the funnels (funnels tend to be an endgame weapon for a reason, requiring a lot more attention to animation in the fight scenes or a lot of stock footage) but if episode 3 isn't done yet, we're probably headed for trouble.

Makes Gridman and Dynazenon more impressive, I suppose. They're not the only mech series with smooth productions that finished ahead of schedule, but they don't have much recent company.