Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will be the next step in the UFC's metaverse expansion?
This poll is closed.
Heavyweight is replaced with a virtual division where no one can complain about fighter pay 2 13.33%
Virtual Mark Zuckerberg watches over all UFC fights atop a throne of skulls 2 13.33%
Virtual Dana White vs Tito Ortiz finally happens in Fortnite 3 20.00%
It's literally never mentioned again because the metaverse is loving stupid 8 53.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Big week(end) of fights!

We're kicking off with Invicta FC 49, which can be found on AXS TV, and also Invicta's YouTube channel right here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PmtuKQD3q0

LobsterMobster posted:

The week starts early!

:siren: B League Preview! :siren:

Invicta FC 49 - Wednesday, September 28

Main Card - 8PM ET, AXS TV

Atomweight Title - Jessica Delboni vs “Lionheart” Jillian DeCoursey

Delboni finally won the Atomweight title in January, taking the belt from Alesha Zappitella. She’s currently 12-3, with only 2 finishes, both coming in 2017.

DeCoursey is on a one-fight win streak in the form of a first round KO at Invicta 47 in May. She’s 5-3 with 2 TKOs.

Delboni is 9 years younger, and age gaps tend to become more significant the smaller the weight classes. I think Delboni should out work and out point DeCoursey.

Flyweight - Maiju “Mountain Momma” Suotama vs Ketlen “Esquentadinha” Souza

Suotama has lost her last 3 regular MMA bouts, plus one exhibition contest in the Invicta Phoenix Series. Her last victory came in 2017, a 2nd round TKO over someone nobody has ever heard of.

Souza hasn’t fought since August 2021, with a pair of scheduled bouts falling apart. She is making her US debut, having fought exclusively in her native Brazil until now.

I don’t know Portuguese, so this is just off what Google translates for me, but I believe Kelten’s nickname is “Hot Head”. Mountain Momma vs Hot Head is a pretty solid matchup!

Strawweight - Liz “The Titan” Tracy vs Valesca “Tina Black” Machado

Tracy is on a 2-fight MMA win streak, plus she’s gone 4-1 in submission grappling matches since her last MMA loss.

Machado is on a one fight win streak. She’s 9-3 with 4 TKOs and 1 submission.

Tracy has faced stiffer competition and has generally come out on top. She should win this one.

Flyweight - Kaytlin “Katniss” Neil vs Hannah “The Hurricane” Guy

Neil was last seen by 9 people losing in the second round of the most recent season of TUF. She’s 5-4 with 1 TKO and 1 submission.

Guy also lost on TUF. She’s 4-1 in non-exhibition bouts with 2 subs and 1 TKO.

TUF washouts that UFC didn’t want clash! They have beat a combined 2 people with winning records, so this is going to be a tough watch.

Flyweight - Helen “Iansa” Peralta vs Poliana Botelho

Peralta lost to Neil on TUF. She’s 5-2 with 1 TKO finish, and is on a 2-fight non-exhibition bout win streak.

Botelho is on a 3-fight losing streak in the UFC, the most recent of which was a first round buzzer-beater D’arce choke in June. She’s 8-5 with 6 TKOs, the most recent coming back in 2018.

I think we’ve reached the downturn portion of Poliana Botelho’s career.

Bantamweight - Brittney “The Quiet Storm” Cloudy vs Montserrat “Monster” Rendon

Cloudy was last in action in a decision loss to Serena DeJesus at Invicta 47 in May. She’s 4-4, with one win each by TKO, submission, decision, and DQ.

Rendon is undefeated, and is making her Invicta debut. She has yet to finish a professional fight.

We’ve got another Montserrat in Invicta, baybee!

Strawweight - Nadia Vera vs Shauna Bannon

Vera is undefeated at 3-0 and 5-2 on the amateur circuit.

Bannon is 2-0, plus 9-3 as an amateur.

Undefeated little baby prospects. Let’s go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
this guy is calling Kedzie "Jules" and i dont like it

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

RIP one more time, Elias

I would like for this to be good and I am deeply intrigued to see how this entire weekend goes.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Joe Martinez is the best, non-Lenne Hardt, non-Big Mo announcer

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Head and arm throw: NO CAN DEFEND

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

Joe Martinez is the best, non-Lenne Hardt, non-Big Mo announcer

he rules I love anytime he gets to roll his Rs

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

By god, the head and arm failed, update the meta

edit: not loving that one

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Irish grappling remains Not A Real Thing

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Who says the grappler can't also striking?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Montserrat Rendon's takedown method:

1. walk opponent down until her back hits the fence
2. clinch
3. wiggle
4. break away, takedown not having been achieved, or really even attempted

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's not a good MMA weekend without some bad decisions

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

It's not a good MMA weekend without some bad decisions

Bad judges gonna judge badly

I'm guessing Oklahoma doesn't have open scoring

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

continuous pummeling back and forth on the fence is the MMA equivalent of just doing chinlocks

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

continuous pummeling back and forth on the fence is the MMA equivalent of just doing chinlocks

slow it down brother sister

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Hey ya'll how's the fight night been?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

Hey ya'll how's the fight night been?

Not too bad. Nothing eventful has happened yet, but nothing has been dreadful or w/e

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

In fairness, I'd call this fight a little on the dreadful side. Not worst-ever territory or anything, but it's not great.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

In fairness, I'd call this fight a little on the dreadful side. Not worst-ever territory or anything, but it's not great.

fair enough

i was a lil preoccupied with some mango sorbet, lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

shout outs mississippi fighters

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Guy getting lit the heck up

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

how do you not literally murder a fighter when they have one hand covering their tummy-guts and you just don't tee off on their exposed dome???

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Tracy isn't a great striker, but Machado's standup looks real good

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I appreciate Delboni's Party City crown.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

did she legally change her name to jilly-bean or is this a double nickname situation

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That was a hell of a sweep, goddamn.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea that was

https://twitter.com/MMAfilthycasual/status/1575325935838105600?s=20&t=Im1LCtXpvSIKWgZgPc0rrw

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

:siren: ONE CHAMPIONSHIP 161 IS UP IN LIKE, 5 HOURS?

LobsterMobster posted:

Note the early start time!

:siren: B League Preview! :siren:

ONE Championship 161 - Thursday, September 29th

Main Card - 8:30AM ET, YouTube

Lightweight Title (Muay Thai) - Petchmorakot “Phetmorakot Wor Sangpraphai” Petchyindee Academy vs Tawanchai P.K. Saenchaimuaythaigym

Petchmorakot is 165-34 in his kickboxing career. He captured the 2011 Lumpinee Stadium title at 105lbs, and the 2013 Lumpinee Stadium title at 130lbs. He’s also the current ONE Featherweight Muay Thai champ, with 3 defenses under his belt.

Tawanchai is 127-31, and was 2018’s Lumpinee Stadium Fighter of the Year.

We’ve got two well-seasoned Muay Thai fighters ready to smash into each other in spectacularly violent fashion.

Heavyweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals (Kickboxing) - Roman “Spider-Man” Kryklya vs Guto Inocente

Roman has a 46-7 kickboxing record, and is the current ONE Light heavyweight kickboxing champ. He was also suspended in 2018 for 4 years due to testing positive for meldonium and clenbuterol.

Guto has a 40-10 kickboxing record. He was suspended in 2017 after testing positive for stanozolol, anastrozole, tamoxifen, and the worst of the bunch, the dreaded THC.

Two big doped up bois throwing heavy leather at each other. Let’s go!

Heavyweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals (Kickboxing) - Iraj Azizpour vs Bruno “Mohamed Ali” Chaves

Iraj has a 18-5 kickboxing record.

Chaves has a 24-1 record in kickboxing, according to Glory’s site.

It doesn’t appear these guys have been popped for steroids, so they clearly aren’t taking their combat sports career seriously.

Welterweight - “The Warrior” Lipeng Zhang vs Saygid Izagakhmaev

Zhang is 33-11, with 11 TKOs and 13 submission wins. He has not lost in 6 bouts, dating back to 2018, though he does have one draw mixed in, so it’s not a pure 6-fight win streak. He went 2-2 in UFC from 2014 - 2015, and is currently 2-0 in ONE.

Saygid is 20-2 with 3 TKOs and 12 submissions. He’s on a 3-fight, 3 submission finish streak.

He may not have any Magomeds in his name, but it’s never a bad idea to go with the Dagestan Man.

Strawweight - Ritu “The Indian Tigress” Phogat vs “No Chill” Tiffany Teo

Ritu is 7-2, with 3 TKOs. She lost her last bout, getting armbarred by Stamp Fairtex last December.

Teo is 10-2, with 3 TKOs and 4 submissions. Her last fight was in January, and she secured a RNC victory over Bo Meng.

Ritu is giving up 4 inches in height, but she is 4 years younger.

Bantamweight - Yuya “Little Piranha” Wakamatsu vs Shuo “Little Whirlwind” Wang

Yuya is 15-5 with 11 TKOs. He lost his last bout to Adriano Moraes, snapping a 5-fight win streak.

Shuo is 15-6 with 7 TKOs and 2 submission wins. He also had a 5-fight win streak ended in his last bout, a decision loss to Tatsumitsu Wada.

They’re just some little guys! Just some little birthday boys!

Prelim Card - 6AM ET, YouTube

Featherweight (Muay Thai) - Capitan Petchyindee Academy vs Alaverdi “Dagger” Ramazanov

Capitan is 145-41 in kickboxing. He was the 2019 Lumpinee stadium champ at 154lbs. He’s the former ONE Bantamweight kickboxing champ.

Alaverdi is 62-7 in kickboxing, and is also the former ONE Bantamweight kickboxing champ.

Capitan took the belt from Alaverdi with leg kicks in 2021.

Featherweight (Muay Thai) - ChengLong “Muay Thai Boi” Zhang vs Sangmanee Sor Kafae

ChengLong is 10-4 in kickboxing according to Tapology. He’s on a 4-fight losing skid.

Sangmanee is 104-31 in kickboxing, and was the 2012 Lumpinee stadium 105lbs champ and Fighter of the Year.

While I understand that Tapology isn’t a great reference for kickboxers, Sangmanee should trounce ChengLong.

Heavyweight - Oumar “Reug Reug” Kane vs Batradz Gazzaev

Reug Reug is 3-1 with 3 TKOs. He lost back in April 2021

Batradz is 3-0 with 3 TKOs. He was last in action in December 2021

REUG REUG! REUG REUG! REUG REUG! This Gazzaev jerk better not wrestle my large son Reug Reug.

Featherweight (Muay Thai) - Han Zihao vs Ferrari Fairtexa

Han is 61-24 in kickboxing.

Ferrari’s kickboxing record according to ONE is 130-3, but that doesn’t seem accurate from the portion shown on his Wikipedia page. It sure is fun trying to find information for fighters with limited data sources!

I dunno. Muay Thai is cool, this should be cool. Ferrari is a cool name.

Featherweight (Grappling) - Rodrigo Marello vs Ruslan Bagdasarian

I don’t know anything about grappling, so uh, let’s watch two dudes do mangrabs, I guess.

Light Heavyweight - Matheus Felipe vs Ali Foladi

Felipe is making his pro debut, and doesn’t appear to have had any amateur bouts.

Foladi is 2-0, with 1 submission and 1 TKO.

Whom are these mens? Why’st are thems guys?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Reug Reug about to fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5COBbA12tl8

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

catching up on one

MY LARGE SON REUG REUG DID IT!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Muay Thai is rad.

see yall for the next ONE show tomorrow night!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Muay Thai is rad but it's not the same in silence

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

ONE should play the traditional Thai music

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

i guess nobody else is paying much attention to One on Prime 2, but it is in fact on right now

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: Yet another B-League Preview :siren:

ONE on Prime Video 2 - Friday, September 30

Main Card - 10PM ET, Amazon Prime Video

Flyweight Title - Jingnan “The Panda” Xiong vs “Unstoppable” Angela Lee

Xiong is 17-2, with 10 TKO victories. She’s the current ONE Strawweight champ with 6 title defenses, including 3 by stoppage. She was inspired to the world of martial arts by Chinese movies such as “The Swordsman”, and thanks to the values of those films, stands up for the weak and bullied of the world. She also eschewed normal teenage activities to focus on training, which, for a teen of the early 2000s, I guess means no Myspace page, no LiveJournal, and not even a clever AIM away message.

Lee is 11-2 with 9 submission wins. She’s the current ONE Atomweight champ, with 5 defenses.

This is the third meeting. Xiong defended her title when Lee moved up in weight, then Lee defended her title when Xiong went down in weight. We’re back at 125lbs, which ONE claims is Strawweight because they are goobers. If Xiong can keep the fight standing again, she should win, but will probably need a stoppage to prevent a Lee tantrum to get a decision overturned.

Lightweight Title (Kickboxing) - Superbon Singha Mawynn vs Tayfun “The Turkish Turbine” Ozcan

Superbon is 113-34, and is the current ONE Featherweight kickboxing champ with one successful defense.

Ozcan is 85-9 in kickboxing.

Do you like kick? Do you like punch? Then this fight is right up your alley!

Bantamweight Title (Grappling) - Mikey “Darth Rigatoni” Musumeci vs Cleber “Clandestino” Sousa

I’m not going to pretend to know anything about submission grappling. But I do know that Mikey looks like a nerd.

Strawweight - Stamp Fairtex vs Jihin “Shadowcat” Radzuan

Stamp is a Muay Thai fighter with a 63-17 kickboxing record, and is 8-2 in MMA. She’s got 3 TKOs and 2 submission wins. She lost her last bout to Angela Lee in a bid for the Atomweight title.

Radzuan is also 8-2 with 1 TKO and 2 submission wins. She’s won her last 3 bouts, all in ONE, all by decision.

Radzuan’s profile picture on Tapology used to include her cat, but it has been changed and I am furious. Stamp’s got this.

Lightweight - Martin “The Situ-Asian” Nguyen vs Ilya Freymanov

Nguyen is 14-5, with 10 TKOs and 3 submission wins. He’s got two wins over Christian Lee, the only losses Lee has yet to avenge. Martin bounced back to his winning ways with a KO of Kiril Gorobets in March, having previously lost his last 2.

Freymanov is 10-2, and has scored 8 knockout wins. He’s on a 3-fight win streak, all by TKO.

Freymanov is making his first venture outside of Russia. I don’t know how much he was coddled in his home country, but the shock of fighting internationally can be too much for some. Nguyen is crafty and experienced enough to win this.

Welterweight - Timofey Nastyukhin vs Halil Amir

Tim Nasty is 14-6, with 7 TKOs and 4 submission wins. He’s on a two-fight skid, dropping both via knockout, and has not fought since December 2021.

Amir is 7-0 with 6 TKO wins. This is his first big step up in competition.

Tim Nasty is mean and he punches faces until there’s no more face left to punch. Halil Amir is in for an unpleasant day.

Prelim Card - 8PM ET, Amazon Prime Video

Lightweight (Kickboxing) - Marat Grigorian vs Jamal “Kherow” Yusupov

Grigorian is 65-12 and is a former Glory and K-1 champ. Last time out, he lost a decision to Superbon in a ONE featherweight title bout.

Yusupov was last in action, beating Jo Nattawut in July.

Kickboxing is a fun thing to watch.

Lightweight - Ryogo “Kaitai” Takahashi vs “Spider” Ho Taek Oh

Takahashi is 14-6, with 10 TKOs. He’s hit a bit of a rough patch, going 1-3 in his last 4, including a current two-fight skid.

Oh is 8-2 with 5 submissions and 2 TKOs. He’s currently on a 6-fight win streak, with 5 finishes.

Oh looks to be on a good streak, but I’m suspicious of his quality of competition. Should be a good striker vs grappler bout, though.

Strawweight (Muay Thai) - Anissa Meksen vs Daokongfah Banchamek

Meksen has a 102-5 kickboxing record and has amassed a plethora of titles across kickboxing, Muay Thai, savate, and boxing.

Daokongfah is a former WBC Muay Thai champ.

I enjoy watching Muay Thai.

Heavyweight Grand Prix Alternate Bout (Kickboxing) - Rade Opacic vs Giannis “Hercules” Stoforidis

Rade is 16-6 in kickboxing, with 13 knockouts.

Giannis is 22-6 in kickboxing, also with 13 knockouts.

Lorj lads throwin heavy hammers, let’s do this!

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
That last kickboxing match was pretty rad. The rest of the undercard was very meh.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
How's the card been so far?

edit: lmao never mind, typed slow.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Is this a tag team match? bit too many people walking out all at once

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I had to go be a family man for the prelims, but by god, I am here for the main.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Tim Nasty time.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Nastyukhin has that Petr Yan thing where he punches like he's just really, really into the idea of harming you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lmao classic herb

e: that was a knee to a grounded opponent no?