Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for sticking and managing the thread. Fingers crossed republicans don’t ruin this. I can definitely benefit from having 15k wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Is the form up yet to submit for it ? It just says October?

Not yet. I haven’t heard anything else besides “October”. Hopefully sooner than later.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are you on a pay as you earn repayment plan?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Email from DOE said that applications would be open “later this month”

I want it now please :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So do injunctions basically stop things from going forward until they’re settled in court? And if that’s the case, if the ruling is delivered by the 17th saying the loans can be forgiven, can another Republican state or entity place another injunction right after?

Also what are the chances the courts side with the 6 states

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Application appears to have gone live:

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

technically a beta for the application itself but submissions will be valid.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Obama2 posted:

How many of you actually opened up excel and calculated all of this poo poo before you registered for classes and how many of you just decided to wing it and figure it out later

Thank you for your input, concerned tax payer :patriot:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

DOE says the first wave of debt forgiveness will begin this Sunday.

They didn't specify if there was any specific criteria for who gets processed first.

Could be random, could be the people whose income was already on file at the DOE, or it could be people who filed out the beta form.

Not that I don’t trust you, because you’ve been a great resource, but where did ya see this at? I’d like to share the good news.

Hope me and my buddies are part of that first wave.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

SCOTUS denies request to block Biden's student loan forgiveness plan

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/20/scotus-biden-student-loan-forgiveness-tax-group

Is that it? are we basically safe now?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Well, it was a good attempt.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Frankly, I'm shocked that it lasted as long as it did. The offer seemed to keep getting worse and worse with every new thing I learned about it, and I figured they'd eventually add so many exceptions to the debt forgiveness rules that the amount of people who qualified would dwindle to almost zero.

Wait so is it dead now or what?

I’m so exhausted from this entire debacle of republicans finding ways around this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Listen Obama2 I respect the posting hustle but you gotta be better than this

you’re coming in too hot without the right amount of zing, ya know? now everyone’s all riled up

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
No please let’s just talk about iPads again and stuff in your home thread there’s so much more we can work with if you pivot soon enough

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Cannon_Fodder posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/21/us-appeals-court-temporarily-blocks-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan.html

Ahem,

Kindly gently caress you:
Nebraska
Missouri
Arkansas
Iowa
Kansas
South Carolina

Yeah that’s from a while back in October. Waiting on the appeals court to review it…which they’ve had a week to so far. I’m not sure what’s taking so long. Is there any political motivation to wait until after the midterms? Also does this whole forgiveness thing get stuck again if republicans take the house?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the detailed response and help as always, Leon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This is a lot of barnacles, dudes and dudettes.

e: ⬇️sorry, thoughts the rules were laxed compared to the D&D thread.

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 8, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So how long can the appellate/8th circuit (same thing?) sit on this case for? Are there any political motivations the judges may have for letting this sit for as long as it has? Or is it more likely they’re convincing the third hypothetical judge or they’re trying to put out a concrete statement still?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Why did this specific federal judge cause them to pause it when the Nebraska case has already effectively stalled it for the same reason? Does the Texan judge somehow pose more of a threat?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Not only am I really pissed about this but I’m also Covid positive as of this morning so that double sucks.

I need a win :eng99:

e: does Nebraska have an “expiration date” of how long it can stay hanging in 8th circuit? Can it be expedited or referred to SCOTUS?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I’m certainly hoping it’s not just optics and there’s actually some backup plan in place in the event it dies at the Supreme Court. I haven’t gotten the email yet but my friends did today.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ethanol posted:

They just want to kill it even faster now that Biden delayed payments again.

Didn’t SCOTUS twice now have the opportunity to stall student loans with two other cases but didn’t? Unless im recounting this wrong

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

SchrodingersCat posted:

How long until they start filing lawsuits against the new income-based plan?

A lot of people would see their monthly payment drop to 0 under it. Republicans won't let that stand.

Yeah that’s my concern. I feel like through all of this, there was always this reassuring “they won’t have standing because it’s dumb for XYZ reasons” but now it seems like you can just keep doing that on a partisan issue until you find a sympathetic court and get a slam dunk ruling in your favor?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Cross posting my question from the other thread since this one seems to be active.

Phone posting so sorry for the lack of formatting

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...loan-borrowers/

“Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years”

So does this mean, no matter how low I bring down my balance (15k currently), I’ll never get my loans automatically forgiven based on time because they were above 12k at some point? My first federal loan was dispensed in 2014, last in 2017, so I’m curious what it all means, or if I’m being too hopeful here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Due to a change in loan servicers my student loans dropped off my credit report (briefly) last month, and it absolutely tanked my credit rating LOL. Once they showed up again my score shot right back up to where it had been previously.

My score went up 16 points last month, then went back to where it was prior as of a week ago. Just this really weird reporting blip that I have no idea the source of. My servicer is still the same, though. The age and the total # of accounts my student loans are load bearing to my credit score, since a crazy amount of it is weighted on credit age.