Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Neito posted:

My understanding is that any loan listed as DIRECT is eligable.

So, here's my dashboard (with the amounts blocked out); you can see that because I have Pell grants listed, I'll be getting the 20k relief; if you have the same (on studentaid.gov), you're eligable for the expanded relief:

Then, if you go to the Breakdown and your loans are listed as "Direct", you get some of that forgiven.

Oh...well then. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I guess my only question left is, is there any reason NOT to apply? I mean, as far as I know, the application is free, but is it going to be like "oh, you applied when none of your loans are eligible? You tried to defraud us and now you owe us $10 million" or some weird poo poo like that?

edit: never to late to fix a typo

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 15, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No. It says they encourage everyone to try even if you're not sure if your loans qualify.

Hmm...

...I guess...

edit: Oh great, I can't apply now anyway. :shrug:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
drat, that took like 30 seconds. Now hopefully they don't send the mafia to my apartment to bust my kneecaps because $20k wouldn't be enough to cover the debt even if it were eligible.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Wendigee posted:

pretty pathetic trolling

I need to stop taking the "Post history" button for granted

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Frankly, I'm shocked that it lasted as long as it did. The offer seemed to keep getting worse and worse with every new thing I learned about it, and I figured they'd eventually add so many exceptions to the debt forgiveness rules that the amount of people who qualified would dwindle to almost zero.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

buglord posted:

Wait so is it dead now or what?

I’m so exhausted from this entire debacle of republicans finding ways around this.

Technically, no. I guess I shouldn't be SO pessimistic, it just feels like it'll get stalled until it dies or found unconstitutional or something, but that stuff isn't official, just my pessimistic assumptions.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This kind of reminds me of when I took a 5-ish season break from The Simpsons, then decided to watch "The Italian Bob" in case I might be missing something. I never had to go back, and I had nothing but the worst expectations, and you know what? It was terrible. My worst expectations were met, not exceeded (they would have had to stage a live execution in mid-episode or something for that to have been the case), but I still felt disappointed & sad.

Being pessimistic and "right" (didn't predict every single nuance or anything, but still) doesn't feel good, and I know my last post contains the phrase "I guess I shouldn't be SO pessimistic" but I knew I wasn't kidding anybody, just keeping my posting mouth shut.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I got an email about a half hour ago from what appears to be a legit source stating that I was approved for debt relief but they can't do anything because lawsuits. Has anyone else gotten an email like this?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The reasons I thought there was a chance it might not be legit are 1) I'm just generally suspicious of everything about this whole thing, and 2) when I looked over the requirements/restrictions before applying, I was very sure that I wouldn't qualify.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Slugworth posted:

I got the email eventually, but not before I got this thoroughly depraved email.

Which, in hindsight I guess I should have used as an opportunity to thank him for my debt relief, rather than ignoring.

:stare: SIGN THE CARD :stare:

ProfZoom posted:

What are the odds of the applications opening back up someday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

I hope I'm wrong.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Do you think all those people that got a false forgiveness acceptance letter have any sort of legal recourse or appeal process?

I'm hardly an expert in the law so my assumptions might be very wrong here, but I would think that legal recourse or appeal would only be possible if they made a specific dollar amount promise. Of course there was their vague offer to forgive up to $20k, but they didn't -- at least not in the email I received -- say exactly how much they'd forgive.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

they should have their student loans forgiven imo

:emptyquote:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

That's a pretty big rug pull. I know that if I didn't enter the finance industry as a computer toucher it would have taken me years more to pay off my debt, and I'm old as poo poo.

I hope it works out for you, were you one of the false approvals?

Yes, and I was so skeptical & leery of the message I got that I came straight here and asked if anyone else had received it. The second I saw it, I assumed it was spam.

me a few weeks ago posted:

The reasons I thought there was a chance it might not be legit are 1) I'm just generally suspicious of everything about this whole thing, and 2) when I looked over the requirements/restrictions before applying, I was very sure that I wouldn't qualify.

From the very beginning, before I even applied, I expected nothing and feared the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Malaria posted:

Got an email today saying they are extending the payment pause. That's something I guess.

Me too -- judging by your post time and the time I got my email, I think we got ours in the same round.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They announced about a month ago that it's been extended to 60 days after the Supreme Court rules on it or 60 days after June 30th, whichever comes first.

So, it will likely be extended until close to September 2023. Technically, the longest possible is August 29th, 2023.

:smith: