Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 6 - Bear On Bearoids

Beast stance rules so god drat much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ah Beast Style, the style where you have to try and make the fight last long enough to hear the full loop of its theme.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
To answer your inquiry into selling feet pictures Dan, you don't need to worry as I once knew a guy who preferred to buy pictures of damaged/blistered feet, there's always a buyer.

Also beast mode is very fun and nothing beats grabbing a bike and just hitting everyone around with it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Ah Beast Style, the style where you have to try and make the fight last long enough to hear the full loop of its theme.

Beast style is so unbalanced it almost isn't funny, but I also feel like it's absolutely the most Kiryu of the styles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I never got into actually playing the Yakuza series until Zero. But my highly biased mind wants to say that the crane machine in Zero felt the least bullshit of the ones since then? Maybe it was the average shape of the prizes that helped.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Section Z posted:

I never got into actually playing the Yakuza series until Zero. But my highly biased mind wants to say that the crane machine in Zero felt the least bullshit of the ones since then? Maybe it was the average shape of the prizes that helped.

I disagree. Some don't have that tube in front of the goal. The thing which fell into an impossible position would have just fallen down in those variants

Judge Tesla posted:

To answer your inquiry into selling feet pictures Dan, you don't need to worry as I once knew a guy who preferred to buy pictures of damaged/blistered feet, there's always a buyer.

Also beast mode is very fun and nothing beats grabbing a bike and just hitting everyone around with it.

The best part about beast style is just repeatedly grabbing the legs of fallen people and swinging them around like that scene in that old movie.
The second best part is probably swinging around a whole rear end motorbike.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 6, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Game's on sale for $5 this weekend on Steam, for anyone who wants to play along!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Beast style is so unbalanced it almost isn't funny, but I also feel like it's absolutely the most Kiryu of the styles.

It has its weaknesses (being slow as balls doesn't help against nimbler opponents) but the wide swing of the bike will do work.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

It has its weaknesses (being slow as balls doesn't help against nimbler opponents) but the wide swing of the bike will do work.

Well the advantage is that nimble as opponents may be, most of them do not have a ranged option and thus will have to get close to you to do things, at which point you grab them and smash them into the nearest terrain feature until they are indistinguishable for it.

In the rare cases where someone pulls a piece on you, yeah, you'll want to swap over to actually move close to them/into cover/out of the way quickly, but that's about the only reason I ever found to swap away from Beast style.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Well the advantage is that nimble as opponents may be, most of them do not have a ranged option and thus will have to get close to you to do things, at which point you grab them and smash them into the nearest terrain feature until they are indistinguishable for it.

In the rare cases where someone pulls a piece on you, yeah, you'll want to swap over to actually move close to them/into cover/out of the way quickly, but that's about the only reason I ever found to swap away from Beast style.

I prefer to have Kyriu tank the bullets and slowly approach the shooter like a terminator.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I prefer to have Kyriu tank the bullets and slowly approach the shooter like a terminator.

He absolutely will not stop, ever, until you appear to be dead but definitely aren't because Kiryu doesn't kill people. That guy is fine. Everyone's breathing.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Fights, after all, are just ultraviolent slapstick in this series.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 7 - Charles And Or Cheese

Yakuza 0 is a game about crimes

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

My favorite Asian language tattoo mistake is when people get 安 because they're told it's Chinese for "peace". Which, not really wrong, but also the meaning has drifted somewhat as Chinese characters got adopted into other languages. In Japanese, 安 it gets used in some compounds as peace, but by itself is "inexpensive/cheap".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 8 - Groovy! It's On!

Look there's like, just enough input lag to throw off the timing here. My controller's broken my dad works at nintendo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Are you planning to 100% this game too? It's kinda hard.

By that I mean all side quests. I don't think too many people would want to watch you play majong for dozens of hours.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 10, 2022

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Given the complete lack of guns, it's fun to play kiryu as Brock Samson.

"They hit me with a truck. THEY HIT ME WITH A TRUCK."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are you planning to 100% this game too? It's kinda hard.

By that I mean all side quests. I don't think too many people would want to watch you play majong for dozens of hours.

Right now my plan is to aim for 100% until I get bored :v: stuff like Mahjong I'll likely do the boring parts offscreen if I decide to, substories we shouldn't have any problem getting all of. I know how to play chess just fine, but Shogi just breaks my brain for some reason

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 9 - ACAB

At least this cop is loving terrible at his job

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Could it be possible to get links to all the videos in the OP?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
poo poo I always forget to do that. Threw up a playlist as well

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Endings like that are what I watch your LPs for!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 11, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 10 - Make Me Forget About This

I do not like this subquest

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That was one of the first side quests I everdid in a Yakuza game. This game series is silly.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I enjoy Kiryu's thousand-yard stare as he contemplates how he ended up in a park coaching a leather-clad woman on how to call him a pig.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is it a bad sign the choice of sound effects made me think for a moment "Oh no, Gooba& is stealing videogames from kids!"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Just imagine the poo poo Kiryu must go through every time he goes out shopping. No wonder there's nothing but empty cans and packages in his place when Nishiki visits. He tries to buy some fresh veggies, maybe try out this recipe he just learned, then suddenly he's beating a man to death with a leek after they try to steal his comically large daikon radish for questionable uses.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

I, however, think it is one of the best subquests in 0.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 11 - Nouveau Riche

This is Praxis

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Judge Tesla posted:

I, however, think it is one of the best subquests in 0.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It will never stop baffling me how some of the random side event fights have the best music in this game. This one ("La Di Da" on the OST) isn't my favorite but it's still pretty drat good.

EchoBaz
Mar 21, 2022
Ah Yakuza 0, dear god does this game have so much going for it, and it should be among my favorite games.

Tet it's got a serious problem that I really wish that people would talk about.

Not only does it contain more S. Assault than any other Big Budget game that I've ever played, it handles the topic worse than probably any other game that I've ever played.

It's also extremely transphobic as well.

It wouldn't have affected me as badly if all the people that I run into the game that constantly recommend the game would actually acknowledge how badly it handles the subject instead of victim blaming people who, god forbid, try to warn people about it so they don't have the same traumatic experience I had when going in, but my experience is that most people love this game won't even acknowledge that the game even has any s. assault in it until you point out specific instances, and then, like I said, victim blame you when you do.

It's such a shame, because again if the fanbase would be realistic and open about this, It'd probably be one of my favorite games.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ya ain't wrong. Some of this poo poo gets super uncomfortable at best. It's got issues that the other games in the series (usually?) aren't as bad about. Despite how much I'm loving the LP, I'm definitely bracing myself mentally for some of the stuff that'll be coming around eventually.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EchoBaz posted:

Not only does it contain more S. Assault than any other Big Budget game that I've ever played, it handles the topic worse than probably any other game that I've ever played.

It's also extremely transphobic as well.

I may be misremembering, but I can literally only remember two points in the game that could be interpreted as involving transsexuality in any way, with a heavy emphasis on the "could be interpreted" for one of them. I'll agree that the other one could definitely be handled better, but it's more bungled than hateful/phobic. Like it's the sort of trans-adjacent story bit that would pop up in media... twenty to thirty years ago, when few people who weren't themselves trans really had much understanding of it and it was largely out of the public eye.

And while it does contain sexual assault as part of the background story... as far as I recall it stays like that, there's no "current events" sexual assault and it isn't ever elaborated on in some grisly way either. Instead it's just "this happened, it was loving awful, it had consequences for people."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah part of why I don't want to commit to 100%ing everything is because I don't really wanna do the phone club stuff :whitewater: 2015 was an unkind time for LGBTQ stuff in general, but especially in Japan

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 12 - The Customer Is King

It's Majima! :toot: I'm... not as good with his styles, fair warning

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Danaru posted:

Yeah part of why I don't want to commit to 100%ing everything is because I don't really wanna do the phone club stuff :whitewater: 2015 was an unkind time for LGBTQ stuff in general, but especially in Japan

I'll admit I never tackled that stuff myself simply because it seemed oddly greasy for what's otherwise a relatively wholesome game. So that may be where the truly suck parts are.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

and so, the moral of the story is to make sure you have an opaque distribution system between you and the purchasers of your used underwear.

or something

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 13 - Mister Eyepatch Manager

It sucks to be Majima

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 15, 2022

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Catching up on the LP, I love that Grace immediately names all the crane game prizes :allears:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

You made episode 12 twice and I was very confused for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whoops, fixed it