Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the aesthetic is incredibly freaky and overwhelming and it’s great. The boss fights can be kind of rocket taggy but things like the parry-health upgrade can definitely balance it out, especially since bosses have very specific things that can be difficult to parry but incredibly high reward if you land them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Looks like PoP the lost crown is officially on sale for 30$ on the ubisoft store, for those that were waiting for the inevitable price drop

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I finished Rebel: Transmute at 90% completion and can’t really recommend it. There’s enough interesting stuff and effort put into it that I don’t want to leave a bad review but it was kind of a rough experience overall. My biggest (and really almost entire) complaint is how poorly signed posted and tutorialized the whole experience is.

As mentioned above there’s a lot of movement tech that seems to be vital to progression but is simply not tutorialized in any way. I spent the entire game wondering when I would be able to break the underwater crystals only to learn it was something that was possible with an upgrade I found 1/4 through the game. There was just never any indication that it was possible and I had to learn online when I was trying to clean up missing rooms. Once you’ve got a lot of movement options under your belt things are very snappy and smooth but there were multiple times I had to trudge back over the map in search of a tool I assumed I was missing.

There was also an occasion where I stumbled upon a boss and beat it only for nothing to happen. I later read that it was apparently required for story progression but there was never any acknowledgement from the game that I had accomplished the task. The game just seemed to have cut any mention of the boss at all because I’d beaten it ahead of time. Some doors also open after you’ve killed every enemy in the room - but they look exactly the same as other doors that are toggled by switches hidden somewhere in the room. There were also four items I collected that as far as I can tell do nothing at all? It’s difficult to tell if they were just backer rewards or incomplete/bugged content.

The badge system is also far too limiting. There’s a maximum capacity of 10 energy and some augments take up to 3. Some features are also augments that have no business being choices. Double jump, your own health display. It results in a lot of augments simply never being looked at because it’s hard to justify giving up multiple qol or kill better mods to play with something niche.

I’m complaining a lot about the game but I did finish it which I don’t often do with games because I’m quick to drop them when I feel the tedium draws out too long. The exploration was overall pretty satisfying with lots of collectibles and secrets scattered around, many of which required multiple powers to access. But overall it feels like a big homage to hollow knight, environmental station alpha, and Metroid, while never really living up to any of them. I hope the developer is able to smooth out all the rough patches and turn it into a solid 7/10 but at the moment I think it’s more of a 5/10.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I've been looking forward to this one, it looks real nice.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

oh gently caress yeah

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Cool Timespinner randomizer run from a recent GDQ event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtGvV-o8Hc

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tiramisu posted:

Some features are also augments that have no business being choices. Double jump, your own health display. It results in a lot of augments simply never being looked at because it’s hard to justify giving up multiple qol or kill better mods to play with something niche.
Oof. Yeah, I feel like that's a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of these systems.

Personally I think passive upgrades in Metroidvanias should always apply, or maybe be individual on-off toggles but not under a quota. Blasphemous, annoyingly, only lets you use three relics at a time but I always found that silly because their purpose is generally situational and obvious, so it just ends up being an unnecessary menu exercise to go turn the right ones on and off.

I also don't like informational augments. They don't actually improve your character build, they just provide information. The Hollow Knight compass charm is an obvious example (and frequent source of thread derails in the past), but the "show enemy health bar" is one that's frequently embraced (Blasphemous, Price of Persia: The Lost Crown, etc.), and while I understand how that particular information may improve player performance it's not the same as a straight damage boost or anything.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blasphemous 2 was a lot better about that actually so at least they learned something.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

TeaJay posted:

I just finished Islets. After a miserable time with Ultros, I wanted to play a 'vania that was more on the fun side. Islets was perfect for that, not too challenging but a few bosses gave me a bit of trouble, nothing too serious though. And you can usually always run in to the boss fight from a save point, no corpse runs here.

Finished in a bit over 8 hours with 100% map completion and all 60 upgrades. I really liked the smoothness of mobility and abilities, you can chain jumps, double jumps, rolls, wall climb etc. together really well and feel like you're always moving swiftly. A bit of a surprise was that whenever you fight in your airship, the combat is a bullet hell shooter. I completely suck at those but the game is pretty lenient and those parts aren't too tough either.

It has a Ghibli-esque aesthetic that looks really soothing. I believe it was made by a single dev and his brother makes the music. Their upcoming 2024 game Crypt Custodian looks pretty fun too, and if it's similar quality than Islets, it's a sure buy for me.

this is free on epic next week

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What a steal, that game is great.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Islets was really good

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is pretty good until you get clairvoyance , which is mapped to R3. Like it's useful to be able to use clairvoyance while jumping and using R3 for that is not helpful!

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is pretty good until you get clairvoyance , which is mapped to R3. Like it's useful to be able to use clairvoyance while jumping and using R3 for that is not helpful!

Luckily you can rebind the controls, even on Switch. I bound that power to A or maybe R and it was immediately so much nicer. I put dimensional claw on R3 and that worked pretty well since you're generally not using it in platforming contexts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On Steam Deck or if you have an 8BitDo/Xbox elite controller you can just bind R3 to one of the back paddles

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Ender Magnolia is out in Early Access on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2725260/ENDER_MAGNOLIA_Bloom_in_the_Mist/

Also, any thread favorites with a focus on exploration?

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 26, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

On Steam Deck or if you have an 8BitDo/Xbox elite controller you can just bind R3 to one of the back paddles
I bought it for Switch since it's not yet on Steam and I'm not a fan of the mandatory Ubisoft Connect stuff. Usually on Switch I use my Split Pad Pro which has bindable paddles, but I was traveling at the time I picked up clairvoyance and, amusingly, I had switched back to a regular joycon set to make my pack less bulky. Anyways I'm home now so problem solved!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

fatsleepycat posted:

Luckily you can rebind the controls, even on Switch. I bound that power to A or maybe R and it was immediately so much nicer. I put dimensional claw on R3 and that worked pretty well since you're generally not using it in platforming contexts.

Really wish I'd done that since I barely used dimensional claw at all. Also not sure why we are spoiler tagging the names of the abilities since they tell you very little about what they actually do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got into Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth over the weekend and I'm vibing with it, seems pretty quick and not too hard with nice SOTN esque graphics. Does anyone who's played it know if the weapons have hidden abilities like in SOTN or Aria of Sorrow? The weapons have attack/delay like normal, but wondering if that's all I have to look at or if some have special abilities like Down to Forward Attack = Fireball.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It has been several years since I played it but I don't remember anything like that, just the bullet hell/color swapping.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
not many metroidvania games grab me, i played the hell out of rogue legacy 2 (i tried so hard to like rogue legacy but always bounced off it). i also dug steamworld dig 2 and of course the early metroid and castlevania games themselves. i'm currently digging dysmantle https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

it's a top down game where you collect material to craft upgrades to open new areas to collect different material to craft different upgrades to open new areas and on and on.
combat is weak hit/strong hit with a couple of gadgets to help you fight the zombies. zombies follow left 4 dead rules. mostly normals, a couple strong types.
there's not much grind in gathering materials but there is some and the biggest pain is just walking from place to place
it has a satisfying challenge that continually rises as you follow the plot and a few neat twists.
you continually beat forward, craft upgrades, and then double back to gather the new materials with your upgrades. opening up new pathways as you advance. it's very satisfying to finally open up a path and finally cutting your travel time by minutes. finally. or getting all the way out to a tower only for it to be broken and now you can't double back but if you die you lose your backpack and you have valuables and the zombies will respawn if you make camp. i was overconfident a minute ago and now i'm dodge rolling and hiding. something few games can do well.

i don't know, i haven't been grabbed by a game like this in a bit and it might not be on your radar because it's being describes as "survival" because it has that aesthetic. i know i thought it was.
but the map even has a grid, and i know what it's like to finally get the ball bomb upgrade or the blood drinker upgrade or the whip that destroys walls and gain access to new areas where you look for the double jump to get to new areas. it's very much that but top down

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea i'm not sure what genre i'd ultimately place dysmantle in but it's an extremely addictive game. it's very satisfying to keep seeing that damage number go up and being able to destroy more and more of the world like a damage katamari

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nine Sols
29/05/2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yx7LvPR1mU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

spaceblancmange posted:

this is free on epic next week

it's live https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/islets-5f2670

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Excited for this one, the demo at last year’s NextFest was excellent.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Another Rain World expansion coming https://store.steampowered.com/app/2857120/Rain_World_The_Watcher

Maybe more community-made stuff? I don't mind paying for mods when they're as good as Downpour though. :toot:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
wow the difficult really spikes in the second half of the lost crown in a way that is just exhausting

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

lih posted:

wow the difficult really spikes in the second half of the lost crown in a way that is just exhausting
Adjust the difficulty down when you get to a boss, saves you a lot of stress.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Islets is awesome, ty epic game store

lih
May 15, 2013

sudonim posted:

Adjust the difficulty down when you get to a boss, saves you a lot of stress.

it's weird because the bosses previously had not been an issue at all but suddenly they're ridiculous, and the precision platforming is just exhausting

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found some of the bosses towards the start harder tbh, towards the end you have so much health and defensive options you can just tank a lot of boss hits.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
When you claim a free game from Epic, does the developer make money? Or is it just a flat fee? I already own Islets on Steam, but it's great, and I would bother logging into Epic to get them a buck or two.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

Someone mentioning Rain World reminds me that it it exists and it always looked intriguing, might be a good one to check out even though I've never understood if it was a straight platformer or some kind of "survival" game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Item Getter posted:

What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

I'm not sure how much it could be called weird, but I really enjoyed my time with Afterimage. Biggest map I've seen and there's almost always more than one area to explore. I found a couple mid-level areas that I completely missed when I was doing end-game stuff, and it's (to me) gorgeous and fun to traverse after a couple movement upgrades.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Lmao this Demoniaca game just straight up uses ripped and edited sprites and animations from King of Fighters games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Martman posted:

Islets is awesome, ty epic game store
look forward to Crypt Custodian later this year from the same dev

i went and installed some Metroidvanias that I've owned on itch.io forever. Batbarian, Vision Soft Reset, Visual Out, Wormer Deluxe, SJ-19 Learns to Love, Alchemist's Castle

not all of them are the highest quality but i know that Visual Out is interesting, Vision Soft Reset is cool, and I liked the Batbarian demo that I played a few years ago, so I will probably at least like those three

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Oh gently caress, a new game from the Sheepo/Islets team? Hell yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Oh gently caress, a new game from the Sheepo/Islets team? Hell yeah
yea, I played the demo of it and it was fun. it's top-down this time but still in the Metroidvania style, I guess you could compare it to like, a less stressful more chill Hyper Light Drifter or Unsighted or uh, insert whatever other non-zelda top-down Metroidvania you like

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Item Getter posted:

Someone mentioning Rain World reminds me that it it exists and it always looked intriguing, might be a good one to check out even though I've never understood if it was a straight platformer or some kind of "survival" game.

Environmental Station Alpha imo

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Playing thru SotN for the first time and just inverted the castle. The drat enemies are hard now! Gonna explore until I get tired of it then finally finish Aria

I beat Bloodstained first and it's awesome to see everything that they cribbed. People are sort of down on that game but I think they fuckin nailed it.

That Clock Room to Colisseum path is devious as hell. Maybe better in concept than practice because it completely halted my progress once before, and I just went with a guide at that point this time. Same for that wooden bridge in the underground

I'm also pleased in retrospect at how good Circle of the Moon's castle is. I was able to complete the whole game without a guide, except to cheese Dracula with the card glitch.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

afterimage captures the same feeling of getting lost in a huge non-linear world