Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Last Case of Benedict Fox: Definitive Edition is out now on PS5/Xbox/PC (it’s a free upgrade on the latter two). Anyone played it? I know that game had a rough launch, but it sounds like the developer has taken criticism to heart and put significant effort into reworking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Item Getter posted:

What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

If you're specifically looking for that, Aeterna Noctis is good. The world is really extensive and the map is super pretty. Similarly to Afterimage, I'd say the writing is the biggest flaw of that game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Counterpoint: Aeterna Noctis' back half has utterly obnoxious and painful design that just straight up isn't fun, unlike Afterimage.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Counterpoint: Aeterna Noctis' back half has utterly obnoxious and painful design that just straight up isn't fun, unlike Afterimage.
nah that's when it gets really good

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

look forward to Crypt Custodian later this year from the same dev

i went and installed some Metroidvanias that I've owned on itch.io forever. Batbarian, Vision Soft Reset, Visual Out, Wormer Deluxe, SJ-19 Learns to Love, Alchemist's Castle

not all of them are the highest quality but i know that Visual Out is interesting, Vision Soft Reset is cool, and I liked the Batbarian demo that I played a few years ago, so I will probably at least like those three
Really curious to get someone else's take on Vision Soft Reset. The main gimmick is fantastic but imo it's more difficult than it needs to be. I bounced off once I got to a platforming challenge I couldn't clear without dying but maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sudonim posted:

Really curious to get someone else's take on Vision Soft Reset. The main gimmick is fantastic but imo it's more difficult than it needs to be. I bounced off once I got to a platforming challenge I couldn't clear without dying but maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order?

That was my experience exactly. The platforming was too difficult and too punishing, and the main conceit of the game meant that it was asking me to do it with no health upgrades and not enough rewinds.

It's a drat shame because it seemed very promising.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I liked Aeterna Noctis quite a bit, especially the involved platforming in the latter levels, but its world, while large and pretty, felt quite linear. There are a handful of big branching points where you can do a couple of zones in any order, but the zones themselves are very straightforward.

Vision Soft Reset is very cool, if a bit barebones. The gimmick makes navigating the map a more core part of the gameplay in a good way. I don't remember any particularly difficult platforming in it, I think I only really had any trouble with one boss.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Barry Convex posted:

Last Case of Benedict Fox: Definitive Edition is out now on PS5/Xbox/PC (it’s a free upgrade on the latter two). Anyone played it? I know that game had a rough launch, but it sounds like the developer has taken criticism to heart and put significant effort into reworking it.

I played it before the Definitive Edition so I can't remark on how it is now, but the game's combat may as well not have existed both for how lacking in difficulty it was and how unimportant it was to the experience of the game. Advancement's tied to puzzles more than anything else, and the real feature of the game is in decoding ciphers and piecing together the mysteries of the setting itself and what's happened in it through the items and clues you discover by doing so.

I enjoyed it a lot, but it's unconventional for a metroidvania. Which is part of why I enjoyed it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I also haven't played the definitive edition. I thought there were a couple hours of cool ideas in there, but I was pretty let down by the end. The performance was an issue for sure, but it mostly felt like the ideas petered out way too quickly and it went nowhere, so I'd be surprised how much the DE can add. But I was fundamentally into its idea of adventure-game puzzles and resident evil item inspection in a MV.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Afterimage is definitely the closest feeling metroidvania to Hollow Knight that I’ve played. The combat is the big letdown, but the movement is great.

I’m playing Sheepo now, it’s wonderful so far.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

I just played through the DE over the weekend. The "arena of challenges" is just combat tutorials, which unlock the "new story content" being some short pictures/scenes adding a bit of backstory. Subweapons have been reworked to be more useful. The game performs way better than launch for sure, but it doesn't feel improved over the "phase 2" patch from last summer. Overall it was a fun replay, but there's not enough in there that I'd recommend a replay just for new content.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

https://gamingbolt.com/hollow-knight-silksongs-xbox-store-page-has-gone-live
Preparing my body for when they announce "Coming 2028"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Just tried it last night on PC Game Pass after getting back from vacation, and while I didn't spend too much time with it... it honestly doesn't feel that different from how I remember the not particularly good demo on PC last year? Performance is abysmal (it struggles to maintain 30fps at 1080p on my GTX 1660ti regardless of settings, and even the absolute lowest combination of resolution and settings supported didn't get me even close to a steady 60fps), the narrative still throws you rapidly into the supernatural shenanigans in a way that feels less like a deliberate in media res and more like some crucial cutscenes setting up the story were cut out, and there's still a delay of several seconds to load in the map every time you pull it up, which feels absolutely awful and is frankly unacceptable for a game releasing in 2024, especially in this genre. I'll give it a bit more time tonight maybe, but odds are I'm not going to be playing it much longer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Min reqs of twelve gigs of ram sure is a thing, boy howdy!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Serephina posted:

Min reqs of twelve gigs of ram sure is a thing, boy howdy!

lol I didn't even notice that in the requirements. I have 16GB on my PC, but that doesn't exactly speak well to the optimization - this is a 2.5D side-scroller, FFS, not an AAA open-world game

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

on a more positive note, a time-looping Metroidvania inspired by Outer Wilds sounds like a pretty cool idea, and it's from the same devs as The Wild at Heart, a Pikmin-meets-Zelda from a couple years ago that I quite liked.

https://www.gamefile.news/p/indie-developer-has-a-plan-to-keep

quote:

There is a chance that someone who gets a copy of the video game Echo Weaver, once it comes out in a year or two, will quickly finish it.

“As a designer, this idea just fascinates me that someone could Google our game, read all the secrets, buy it, boot it up and beat the game in four minutes,” mused game designer Chris Sumsky, when we chatted at an Xbox-hosted indie showcase last month in San Francisco.

“It’s wild that I want that. But it is truly the design pillar behind the game.”

Sumsky and his small team at indie studio Moonlight Kids are making Echo Weaver, a 2D action-exploration “metroidvania” game (aka the kind of game in which players explore caverns or castles, discover new abilities and then backtrack to use those abilities to proceed through previously impassable areas).

Echo Weaver’s standard run-time is expected to last much longer than four minutes.

It’ll run many hours, in fact, across multiple time loops as players explore and re-explore a mysterious sci-fi world.

But the game will borrow perhaps the boldest concept from 2019’s acclaimed Outer Wilds, which Sumsky considers ”one of the greatest games ever made.”

In that time-looping adventure, players had 22 minutes to explore a collapsing planetary system before its star went nova. Events in its galaxy—the explosion of a space station, the crumbling of a planet’s shell, the immersion of a temple under a sandstorm—repeatedly played out across a set timeline. Racing the clock, players could learn new abilities, discover secret codes and apply new techniques, the better to survive those 22 minutes and approach the game’s true ending.

Outer Wilds’ bold concept was that everything the player attained was knowledge and that, if players simply knew it all in advance, they’d be able to clear the game on their first run. This wasn’t a game that gated progress behind items players needed to collect across its adventure. If players knew the solutions, they could execute them immediately.

That idea has intoxicated Sumsky, who framed Echo Weaver as a Metroidvania that is also entirely knowledge-based.

I should note, there's at least one other 2D side-scroller I know of to attempt something like this (Treasures of the Aegean, which I haven't played yet, though I think it got a generally positive reception)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vision Soft Reset as well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
How does this work when gaining new movement abilities is a cornerstone of the genre? Is the idea that all the movement abilities are inherent and you just have to learn how to execute them (like SM's wall jump)?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How does this work when gaining new movement abilities is a cornerstone of the genre? Is the idea that all the movement abilities are inherent and you just have to learn how to execute them (like SM's wall jump)?

Vision Soft Reset had software that you kept between timelines and hardware that you didn't. Part of the game was learning to route things so you could (re)acquire needed hardware or else bypass their locks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Schwarzwald posted:

Vision Soft Reset had software that you kept between timelines and hardware that you didn't.
Huh that does sound interesting.

Apparently I bought this a while ago, should give it a try.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

IIRC Treasures of the Aegean was really an open world platformer with some of the details you needed to solve puzzles locked behind other puzzles.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Toki Tori 2 (arguably the very first Metroidbrainia) teaches you simple songs that if you note down will allow you to do massive skips from the very start.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah Treasures of the Aegean isn’t a Metroidvania but it is a fun little game, swift parkour movement and a map entirely designed around routing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fez_machine posted:

Toki Tori 2 (arguably the very first Metroidbrainia) teaches you simple songs that if you note down will allow you to do massive skips from the very start.

Played a decent percentage of that game and enjoyed a lot of it, though I found it flawed enough not to finish it (the puzzle design does get repetitive, with too many puzzles boiling down to "get the frog to burp a bubble in the right place", and some of the later puzzle solutions require very precise positioning of the creatures involved despite the game's limited toolset not actually giving you a way to manipulate said creatures precisely, leading to a frustrating number of failed attempts even after you’ve figured out what the solution is supposed to be). Still well worth trying if the concept is appealing to you, though.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 3, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the knight witch is fun. people were a lil too mean to this one. i'm heading to 'the surface' now and i think i'm near the end. not the MV-iest MV but it's got a little bit of ability gating at least. if i am near the end it's just the right length without wearing out its welcome. i do agree that they could've had a better solution for the cards than having them in the corner when there's a lot of bullets around. but on the Deck i've had no issue noticing what cards i've got.

i also think my preferences in MVs is different from critics, especially after souldiers got shreked by reviewers but for me it's an A-tier game. and people love valdis story and that's a big ol' thumbs down raspberry from me

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It’s probably closer to a Zelda style game than a metroidvania (please thread do not revolve into a discussion on any difference, we are better than such a pointless exercise), but I’d give a shout-out to Minishoot Adventures. Was a fun 8 hours or so 100% completing it recently. It’s essentially a metroidvania/zelda game exploring a world as a ship and using twin stick shooter gameplay. There’s assist options for those who are bad at that gameplay although I didn’t really have any trouble playing on normal.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The card thing -- having to take your eyes off the bullet hell to see them -- is the usual complaint about Knight Witch, but it is also just a little too bullet hell for me. However, you can turn on arbitrary amounts of toggles including I think invincibility, at any time and without penalty. I got through most of the game no problem, but near the end I turned on a bunch of stuff to make it easier and I don't regret it. While I question some of the design choices, I really appreciated that when it got to be too much I could just flip a switch to get through and see the rest of the story.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So It Goes posted:

It’s probably closer to a Zelda style game than a metroidvania (please thread do not revolve into a discussion on any difference, we are better than such a pointless exercise), but I’d give a shout-out to Minishoot Adventures. Was a fun 8 hours or so 100% completing it recently. It’s essentially a metroidvania/zelda game exploring a world as a ship and using twin stick shooter gameplay. There’s assist options for those who are bad at that gameplay although I didn’t really have any trouble playing on normal.
same, i think i'm in the back third - just got surfing and i've been having a great time with it. more games in this niche please

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Finished Minishoot in just under 9 hours on hard, good game 7/10.

I liked how I could respec anytime, the secret areas were well placed and the map completion tools were available early on and were very useful.

My few critic isms were that the story was flimsy and practically non-existant.
I had over 100 of the red coin currency by the end and nothing to spend it on, would have been nice to be able to convert it to the regular upgrades, I didn't have nearly enough to max out everything.
The fourth skull key was just sitting there, no dungeon or boss. Feels like they ran out of time/ effort for that one.

There's a post game arena mode, but the first level went on for far too many waves imo, and I was getting some nasty frame rate drops so I'll probably skip those.

If you also liked it check out MF-01 Aerostrike which isn't as good but it has much more weapon variety and the combat was more satisfying.

There's also Absence of Light which I haven't played yet but looks similar.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Are there any procgen metroidvanias with a largely static map? Basically I'm imagining something like Super Metroid Randomizer but in a game designed from the ground up for it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Unreal_One posted:

Are there any procgen metroidvanias with a largely static map? Basically I'm imagining something like Super Metroid Randomizer but in a game designed from the ground up for it.
Chasm generates a new map for every run. Bloodstained has a built in randomizer that keeps the map but changes all of the items around, with the option to alter enemies, drops etc

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Unreal_One posted:

Sundered does that a bit

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Unreal_One posted:

Man! I've wanted to make such a game for the longest time! Metriidvanias and procedural generation are both my jam, and I believe there's some potential there. I once got a far as making a thing that'd generate map layouts that you could look at and think, "yeah, I can imagine that being a Meteoidvania map", but then kinda lost steam when tackling individual room generation.

From what I've looked into, Chasm attempted this but fell pretty short, but A Robot Named Fight! might be closer to what you're looking for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Sundered does that a bit

More specifically, the map and the various items in Sundered are fixed, but the layout of most of the rooms is regenerated every time you die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically my favorite randomized Metroidvania is Monster Sancturary which doesn't randomize the level layout but does let you randomize the monsters which gives you different ways to advance forward in the game and forces you to change up who you use. (Best with Brave Mode which gives you 1 specific monster/area.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed Sundered, I should do a full corruption run sometime.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Unironically my favorite randomized Metroidvania is Monster Sancturary which doesn't randomize the level layout but does let you randomize the monsters which gives you different ways to advance forward in the game and forces you to change up who you use. (Best with Brave Mode which gives you 1 specific monster/area.)

I've played almost 300 hours of bravery/random runs. It's so good and the runs don't take a long time.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I didn't like Sundered (where the procgen hurt more than helped) or Chasm (didn't really notice procgen, its just kind of a generic game) much.

Feeling the MV itch so I think I'm going to jump into Aeterna Noctis. I got it on sale a while back. Anyone know if it's best to play with DLC from the start or wait until I beat it?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

I didn't like Sundered (where the procgen hurt more than helped) or Chasm (didn't really notice procgen, its just kind of a generic game) much.

Feeling the MV itch so I think I'm going to jump into Aeterna Noctis. I got it on sale a while back. Anyone know if it's best to play with DLC from the start or wait until I beat it?
I played it without knowing what was DLC, and didn't notice anything being game-breaking or too hard or anything. definitely doesn't need to be post-game, but you could look up where the added area is if you'd rather wait.

the DLC time trials are pretty insane also, but completely optional. you'll probably know pretty quickly if you have any interest in completing that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

ultrachrist posted:

The DLC mainly adds an extra area with extra goodies for your character. Two notable ones are a gem that prevents you from dropping your soul on death which is a huge QoL improvement, and a gem that grants you an additional midair jump which massively drops the game's difficulty. You can tackle much of it around the game's halfway point and I'd say it's worth doing long before beating the game.