Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Cool, thanks. I didn't realize it was something that's just part of the base game now and already installed. I like the game so far, feels good to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/15712-gestalt-steam-cinder-ventures-to-pc-on-may-21

Looks like Gestalt: Steam & Cinder is releasing in a little over one month

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aeterna noctis + 1 other game for $6 in this bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/fanatical-favorites-build-your-own-bundle

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I finished Biomorph, and it was okay!

The copying enemies feature isn't used particularly well, most enemy abilities are very situational and are only used in the specific area that enemy is found in. The base form is also far stronger, and I rarely used copied enemies to attack.
There is a sequence breaking enemy in the white Sentinel area to the east, the floating drone. Highly recommend going there as soon as possible.
Every room with all items found is given a gold border, I always appreciate a way to track this.
The difficulty is disappointingly low, and I rarely died. There's a couple of platforming challenges but they were not that tough and didn't last long. I really wish there were more platforming focused Metroidvanias, Aerterna Noctis may have been flawed but the platforming was so satisfying. Whenever I get a sliver of that feeling I think of replaying it.

The similarly named Biogun is out soon, in the unlikely event you too backed the failed kickstarter for ReVeN, it's from the same developer and they're giving keys for Biogun to backers.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm really enjoying Aeterna Noctis. It's the best MV I've played in a long while. I like platforming. I reached the point where the path splits for the last 3 macguffins and did the abyss first. That was the first boss that took me several tries, what a fucker. When the trophy popped for getting all abilities, I sighed in relief that there will be no more movement mechanics.

It's a little rough around the edges. If I'm holding a direction when I active the teleport arrow, the direction shoots all over the place, often in the opposite direction of what I've pressed. I've had to acquire the muscle memory of letting the stick hit neutral before hitting triangle. Masking the map until you find the map vendor is dumb. He is easy to miss. I don't really like skill trees in MVs, period. AN lets you respec gems and skills at thrones, but they're almost never near a boss, the most likely place to respec.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Every review of Aeterna Noctis says it's basically super hard and has hardcore puzzle platforming and that turns me off. I stopped playing Grime because the platforming was getting too difficult, that's kinda one thing I don't need in my 'vania. It's fine for optional challenges and stuff but if it's required for progress then it's likely not meant for me. (I did finish HK white palace back in the day, but found that was not as difficult as envisioned)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TeaJay posted:

Every review of Aeterna Noctis says it's basically super hard and has hardcore puzzle platforming and that turns me off. I stopped playing Grime because the platforming was getting too difficult, that's kinda one thing I don't need in my 'vania. It's fine for optional challenges and stuff but if it's required for progress then it's likely not meant for me. (I did finish HK white palace back in the day, but found that was not as difficult as envisioned)

There's an easier mode if that influences your opinion.
They added that one in a later update, so it's probably not in the reviews.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what kind of story Afterimage is trying to tell, but it’s very pretty and plays well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's an easier mode if that influences your opinion.
They added that one in a later update, so it's probably not in the reviews.

What does this mode change then? Enemy difficulty is easy to grasp, but how about the hardcore platforming? Would be interested to try though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TeaJay posted:

What does this mode change then? Enemy difficulty is easy to grasp, but how about the hardcore platforming? Would be interested to try though.

I think it adds some safe platforms which were previously not there and removes some spikes.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

TeaJay posted:

There's only a few puzzles... to the point where I forget they exist and figure it's just a very hard platforming section before I realize it's a trick and remember there's puzzles. It's virtually all platforming with low stakes combat in between. I can't speak to the easier difficulty (FWIW it's listed as "normal", while the original difficulty is "hard"), but even if it's significantly easier, you definitely need to enjoy platforming to get much out of the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

metro Vania rules!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Metro Vania 2033

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm trying to learn my new leverless controller by playing through Hollow Knight with it.

Unfortunately for me, I also decided that since I already played the game, I need another handicap, so I'm playing through the whole game overcharmed. There's an odd lull in boss fights in the midgame but I definitely got destroyed both by every dream nail refight I've seen and by the colosseum. I got lost in the waterways too. Somehow I remember most of the other areas at least vaguely but I had no idea what was going on down there.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Still plugging away at Aeterna Noctis and it's outstaying it's welcome a bit. I think I'm almost done now. The climb up the light palace was aggravating and I stopped for a couple days. The game already did "floating islands" twice and much better. This wasn't level design, it was just blocks of spikes in the sky with repeatedly pasted enemies! The palace itself was much better. I've stayed on noctis mode but have no regrets using triple jump. The game's hard enough. I need to do some cleanup because I've got most of the painting pieces, all the keys, missing only one piece of heart, etc, but... despite having nearly all the blue and purple gems, I have like, 2? of the red ones. Assuming the emperor quest and whatever the robot finale is will give those, stumped on what the others would be. Actually, I still have the final DLC boss.

At the end of the day it feels more like Celeste than Hollow Knight.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm pretty sure the big knight normal enemy in hollow knight is more difficult than half of the bosses in the game

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I didn't think anything in HK was particularly difficult till I got to that circus thing...woof.

Didn't help that I missed all the magic upgrades until half 2/3rds of way through my second play through. Didn't even know they existed lol.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That’s part of the DLCs, which tend to be…very difficult. You can always come back later to poke at it, they integrate the DLC content into the base game maps.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sounds like Tales of Kenzera: Zau is alright but by no means a top-tier Metroidvania, which doesn't surprise me after playing the demo (the reviews also make a lot of comparisons to PoP: The Lost Crown, which also doesn't surprise me given that it's also a 2.5D Metroidvania with relatively high production values and a somewhat similar art style)
https://opencritic.com/game/16584/tales-of-kenzera-zau

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Sounds like Tales of Kenzera: Zau is alright but by no means a top-tier Metroidvania, which doesn't surprise me after playing the demo (the reviews also make a lot of comparisons to PoP: The Lost Crown, which also doesn't surprise me given that it's also a 2.5D Metroidvania with relatively high production values and a somewhat similar art style)

It's almost painfully Average and compares poorly to PoP, which is literally the opposite of what I'd have guessed when they were both announced.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I dunno, I really liked the demo and it's a smaller, cheaper game by a much smaller team. I'm looking forward to playing it as a little breather of a game. I'm assuming it won't be as hard as PoP which sounds good to me (though the demo didn't have any bosses so hard to compare).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished Xanthiom Zero. weird little game. i liked, sort of, the weapon experimentation you could do, but it wasn't as creative to explore as something like Copy Kitty's weapon combos. music was pretty mid. one boss, the octopus boss, was very difficult with low health, and then there's no challenge like that ever again and you just become insanely powerful by endgame and kill bosses before they finish a cycle. still, not bad for $2.50

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

How are the Momodora games? I saw there's a Steam sale, but for some reason I have one of the titles ignored in Steam so I'm not sure what my prior thought process was. Too anime maybe?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is extremely good and the least anime of the lot (it's still very anime).

Moonlit Farewell is fine, but not a must-play unless you really loved Reverie and must have more.

The earlier games are okay but won't scratch the Metroidvania itch.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Barry Convex posted:

I just downloaded it. Seems decent enough for the price of "free." (with PS Plus)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve played 3-5:

Momodora 3: extremely basic and short, it wasn’t bad but I can barely remember it. you aren’t missing much if you skip it (also not a metroidvania)

Momodora reverie under the moonlight: play this one. it’s quite compact for a metroidvania but it really nails the vibes. It’s just really evocative and one of my favorites in the genre. Game’s easy but you get a unique reward from each boss for no-hitting them which adds some challenge if you want to go for that.

Momodora moonlit farewell: eh. It’s bigger than RUTM but doesn’t have anything more interesting to fill that extra space with, it’s kinda just “more rooms,” and I didn’t find it very memorable or interesting by comparison. the no-hit rewards are gone so the fact that it’s so easy means there isn’t much to care about from exploration. wouldn’t say you should avoid it, but but wouldn’t give it a strong rec either

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Moonlit Farewell is a pretty good time with some gorgeous pixel artwork, but it has a few design decisions that kind of work against it. There's no way to cancel out of your three hit combo, so you can find yourself unexpectedly locked in spot even when you feel like you ought to have been able to dodge. Some monster attack tells are ambiguous or inconsistent with each other. All of that would make combat feel a little unfair, except healing is way too powerful, so you're rarely in any danger and you never want to spend magic on anything else (because no other option is as good as being able to heal more).

You could do a lot worse as far as metroidvanias go, and there's a lot about the game I really like, but it falls short of being fantastic.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I just wish reverie under the moonlight didn't have instakill spikes

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The first two momo games are very old and small in scope (the first is entirely linear), and not nearly as polished or interesting as later titles. They're easily skipped unless you have historical interest.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sudonim posted:

I just wish reverie under the moonlight didn't have instakill spikes

Every MV style game should get relentlessly skewered for having these until they either patch them out or apologize to me personally

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I did it!

I think that means I died 417 times but I'm not sure.

Cool game. Definitely one of my favorites, albeit the kind with plenty of caveats before I'd recommend to anyone. Looking forward to the sequel.

Other than the doppelganger boss, none of the actual combat ever gave me any trouble. Even the superbosses can be healed through if you're thorough in gem/skill point collection. The hardest platforming challenges where the fire and darkness globes in the cosmos, along with the last emperor's seal door. I'm an ace with the teleport arrow after all that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gave up on The Last Case of Benedict Fox a few hours in; even with the various improvements patched in with the Definitive Edition and earlier (and for what it's worth, performance is a lot better with recent patches than it was a few weeks ago), the world design fails to cohere or flow in any satisfying way, with too much aimless wandering about trying to figure out where to go next, even with the optional quest markers that have been added since launch. It's very pretty and I admire that the devs tried to differentiate it from other Metroidvanias with the emphasis on adventure-game-style puzzles, but it just doesn't work.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Beat Tales of Kenzera: Zau in about 8 hours. Wrote more about it in the review thread, but I didn't end up liking it very much. It's fine, but there are a few parts that get really tedious that dragged the whole experience down for me.

BUT I'm still going to go back in and get the rest of the collectibles. The trophy sickness must be fed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been playing that too and it's like bargain bin PoP with worse everything.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Finished up Afterimage this weekend -- the main game yesterday, and NG+ content / all achievements today. Overall verdict: Recommended for people who really love MVs, but wait for a sale.

Highlights:
* Platforming/combat mechanics feel great, it was fun just running around the map
* Gigantic map with a ton of traversal to do. I was constantly discovering new things to do 20+ hours in.
* Hitting spikes/beams/etc. teleports you back to nearby solid ground without inflicting damage. You get to focus on getting the jumps/dashes right instead of worrying about having enough HP potions for attempts. (Important, since they wear their Hollow Knight influences on their sleeve and there's a ton of "navigate this spiky corridor in mid-air" sections.)
* Solid music, albeit a bit repetitive in some areas.

In the middle:
* On default difficulty, most bosses were easily downed on the first try. I think I only died three or four times the entire playthrough.
* With a map that big, a "maybe you should go here next" indicator of some kind would have been appreciated. I did a lot of wandering and got to lv50+ before I even discovered Holy Grounds. This could be a pro or con for you, YMMV.

Lowlights:
* Plot and endings were utterly incomprehensible. (Not sure if this was a CN->EN translation issue.)
* Not a ton of variety in weapons -- they may have different stats and damage types, but for the most part, all 1h swords / 2h swords / scythes / whips / etc. felt the same, and you just care about bonuses.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i didn't like the tales of kenzara demo much - it was very linear with no actual exploration, combat was kinda clunky, and there was a lot of forced backtracking

i finished pop: the lost crown - i think it could have really done with allowing the player to get lost a bit more, and there's some brief difficulty spikes like 2/3rds into the game, but super solid overall.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

Finished up Afterimage this weekend -- the main game yesterday, and NG+ content / all achievements today. Overall verdict: Recommended for people who really love MVs, but wait for a sale.

I finished it yesterday too (outside of maybe finishing the rest of the achievements, not sure if I’ll effort those since I’ll have to go hunt around and figure out which leaves/flowers and coins I missed) and we basically feel the exact same way about it. Honestly if there had been about 20% less game it would have worked better, it was just slightly too big and some of the pacing fell apart.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Tortolia posted:

I finished it yesterday too (outside of maybe finishing the rest of the achievements, not sure if I’ll effort those since I’ll have to go hunt around and figure out which leaves/flowers and coins I missed) and we basically feel the exact same way about it. Honestly if there had been about 20% less game it would have worked better, it was just slightly too big and some of the pacing fell apart.

My suspicion is that, being a crowdfunded project, they had a bunch of areas as stretch goals and didn't really think enough about whether they were simply putting too much into the game. Agreed, it would have been a better game if they shaved off about a quarter of the areas (or even just shrunk each area a bit to be more tightly focused) and spent a bit more time on tutorials / plot points.

FYI, if you want to bother with efforting out the achievements: one of the things you can buy with Coins of Se is an Afterimage for item hunting. It makes the map show the # of items missing in each area, and makes a beep + shows an icon over your head when you're near an unclaimed item.

The map being so absurdly big means it takes a while to get everything, though. I ended up downloading a fan-made map with all the items on it, and checked them off one by one.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

My suspicion is that, being a crowdfunded project, they had a bunch of areas as stretch goals and didn't really think enough about whether they were simply putting too much into the game. Agreed, it would have been a better game if they shaved off about a quarter of the areas (or even just shrunk each area a bit to be more tightly focused) and spent a bit more time on tutorials / plot points.

FYI, if you want to bother with efforting out the achievements: one of the things you can buy with Coins of Se is an Afterimage for item hunting. It makes the map show the # of items missing in each area, and makes a beep + shows an icon over your head when you're near an unclaimed item.

The map being so absurdly big means it takes a while to get everything, though. I ended up downloading a fan-made map with all the items on it, and checked them off one by one.

I've bought literally everything from Se but the 5 coin dual blades in her last batch of items, so apparently that's something I bought at some point and overlooked. Derp. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I made a list of things I'm missing equipmentwise, and thankfully I think only like two of them are rare mob items I'll have to farm, so I think the confusion over Where Are The Coins/Leaves/Flowers was the bigger blocker in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I played through The Ramsey recently and I'd give it a qualified endorsement. It's mostly good but it's a little short and the platforming is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if you can get it for about $10 it might be worth it. You'll have a sense of how much you want to finish it within the refund window.