Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Tortolia posted:

I've bought literally everything from Se but the 5 coin dual blades in her last batch of items, so apparently that's something I bought at some point and overlooked. Derp. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I made a list of things I'm missing equipmentwise, and thankfully I think only like two of them are rare mob items I'll have to farm, so I think the confusion over Where Are The Coins/Leaves/Flowers was the bigger blocker in my mind.

Word. The only other really annoying one is activating all Confluences -- you have to rest at them to "activate" them, and I ended up just running past a lot of them during the game if I was already on full health. If you mouse over one in the map and it doesn't give you the option to spend a Resting Potion to teleport to it, it's not activated.

Grinding to lv99 is pretty straightforward. (Load every +exp item you have and go fight the first phase of the final NG+ boss, then exit to main menu once you finish phase 1 and get the XP for it. It's a guaranteed 1-2 level-ups per kill, and you can immediately reload save and then mash the dialogue skip button to do it again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Afterimage achievements: Yeah, I powerfarmed 99 off the true final boss, easy enough. And conveniently enough, the last two Se coins were in Albedo Tower where I had saved and quit yesterday farming a mob drop, so easy.

The last confluence was one I hadn’t actually used in Scorchwhere, but I was about 90% sure it was in one of a handful of lategame zones where I didn’t need to rest for healing so I snagged that when catching up on completing my equipment catalog.

Only things remaining to clean up is the last divine flower (only have a handful of zones to check), getting exactly 666 damage on a hit, and one hidden achievement to nag a particular NPC, so all told the cleanup grind hasn’t and won’t have been all that bad.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Started in on Aeterna Noctis, and got an unexpected achievement for beating Garibaldi without the arrow of light. Is that not intended to be the second boss?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ullerrm posted:

Started in on Aeterna Noctis, and got an unexpected achievement for beating Garibaldi without the arrow of light. Is that not intended to be the second boss?

You can do various routes which would give you various upgrades in different orders. And there are always some achievements to beat certain bosses without some upgrade which would make it quite a bit easier.
I don't remember how I did that back then, but at least I am certain that you could have found that before.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/AxiomVerge/status/1788267765226467563

Unlock abilities, progress, repeat
Rejoice in the thrills of exploration and discovery with this bundle of Metroidvania games, featuring some of the genre's most exceptional recent entries. In the critically acclaimed 9 Years of Shadows, you'll explore a stunning, handcrafted world that’s been drained of all color while wielding amazing powers and taking in a star-studded soundtrack. Lose yourself in the sprawling alien world of Axiom Verge 2, the boundary-pushing sequel to the fan-favorite sci-fi game (that’s also included in this bundle!). Experience the genre at its most subversive in Cookie Cutter, full of dark humor, brutal combat, and some of the finest hand-drawn art the genre has ever seen. Get all these games and more—7 in total—and help support the Global Foodbanking Network with your purchase.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good bundle for sure. Not a big fan of Ghost Song but both Axiom Verges are very good and Death's Gambit is a solid B tier title. Haven't played the others but kept waiting on a sale or bundle for 9 Years, so hey.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm just now finally playing Blasphemous (the first one). I was put off by the religious imagery and grimdark style, but it is pretty good so far (I am in Jondo, having killed the first two of the three bosses it wants me to kill.) I thought I wouldn't like the art style, but I do; the atmosphere is unrelentingly depressing and oppressive, which I know is intentional, but it's a bit fatiguing.

Movement feels really good, and I like the parry system. My biggest complaint is that it takes forever to get anywhere; I have found two (2) of the warp rooms so far, and I explore pretty exhaustively, and I do a lot of walking that I wish I could do faster. Enemies are too non-trivial to zip through rooms without stopping a bunch of the time. Enemies can also do a lot of damage and there are a bunch of instant death pits, so I think the save points could stand to be a little more frequent. There are also a lot of different types of macguffins to turn in for various rewards, and it can be a bit difficult to keep track of what goes where, but I'm coming along all right. I wish the map tracked some of the stuff a bit better; I've taken to manually marking shopkeepers, for example.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Good news! They patched in a second, much more fine-grained fast travel system that unlocks sometime around midgame, since while I liked the fog doors apparently most players don't enjoy backtracking as much as myself and the devs do, lol.

Keep upgrading with those MacGuffins, and it'll show up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Breezed through Touhou Luna Nights in about 7 hours including the postgame area and boss. I knew nothing about Touhou going in, I still don’t, but it had some neat mechanics and was a nice palette cleanser of a game after how massive Afterimage was. Probably going to do 9 Years next thanks to that Humble Bundle.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813230/ANIMAL_WELL/

ANIMAL WELL is out! I know basically nothing about the game other than it's a metroidvania style game which has a really unique look and apparently you .. play as a blob of some kind. Looking forward to learning a bit more! Will probably buy in the near future.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I play video games to escape reality, not play as myself.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The reviews for Animal Well are insane. Hype is off the charts. Polygon invoked Outer Wilds, Tunic and Fez as comparisons, but it's also a metroidvania I guess.

It might be my next game. It's a coin flip between that and Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. This week is a little blessing for puzzle game fans.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We're gonna have an animal well secret hunting community in the Playstation discord. I recommend joining if you wanna hunt together. All platforms welcome.

https://discord.com/invite/AvaGXzja

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

The reviews for Animal Well are insane. Hype is off the charts. Polygon invoked Outer Wilds, Tunic and Fez as comparisons, but it's also a metroidvania I guess.

It might be my next game. It's a coin flip between that and Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. This week is a little blessing for puzzle game fans.

Given Void Stranger invoked similar comparisons, poo poo, guess I'm getting Animal Well

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Only about an hour and a bit into Animal Well, so far it's very enjoyable. It's much more in line with a puzzle platformer like Fez than a Metroidvania. You do collect movement/tool abilities, but there's not really combat of any kind (not in a way that I would consider combat, at least). Gorgeous game if you like pixel art and neon colors, the lighting is great. The best part so far is how natural the puzzles and tools feel together. Spoiler for like the third tool you get the disc/Frisbee is so good in the way it works. At first you think it's just a way to hit switches from far away, but it also bounces off walls/switches, it distracts dogs completely (which makes so much sense), and you can loving ride it!.

It's also free if you have PS Plus Extra, so yeah, hard to beat that.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2024

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Someone made a dedicated thread for Animal Well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060361

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

really strong first impressions of animal well. the sound design of the background ambiance is great.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Probably around 5 hours into animal well. I have about 30 eggs and two flames. So far, I’ve enjoyed the game but am a little perplexed by all the hype. At some point, even when I find a secret the fact it’s always egg #27 or whatever loses its luster. I hope another “layer” opens up that’s a little more interesting. But then I also hope it isn’t the type of “layer” that is only accessible through essentially ARG stuff like decoding sound files because I won’t engage in that type of things if it’s needed. Basically, I could use something like Tunic’s golden path puzzle or the Witness’s second layer to really sell the game and if it’s just more eggs endlessly then I don’t know if I get the hype other than it’s certainly an enjoyable little gameplay loop. Probably doesn’t help I don’t love the art style, I like the vibes a lot but actually looking at the game is almost giving me eye strain.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I really love the ambience and art style but I've definitely felt more sucked in by other metroidvanias. THere have been some really fun puzzles to solve so far, at least. I kinda wish I'd put this money towards PS Extra so I could at least play some other games for 'free' on top of this one being on there, but then again the dev team does deserve it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Animal Wells definitely puts the emphasis on the "puzzle" part of puzzle platformer but I've been having a drat good time with it. Satisfies that Knytt itch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I keep seeing weird stuff in the background of various rooms and having to leave map markers until I learn more. game's got a great vibe.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think a lot of the hype is from it being the first game from Dunkey's publishing house, Bigmode. A lot of the early Steam reviews were like 0.1 hours on record, positive review, "Dunkey's gonna beat me up if I don't rate this game positively" etc. not to say it doesn't deserve hype, but these things always have a bit of that stink about them

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Heath posted:

I think a lot of the hype is from it being the first game from Dunkey's publishing house, Bigmode. A lot of the early Steam reviews were like 0.1 hours on record, positive review, "Dunkey's gonna beat me up if I don't rate this game positively" etc. not to say it doesn't deserve hype, but these things always have a bit of that stink about them

Seems like I must be the only one who'd never heard of this Dunkey guy before. Certainly makes me less interested

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Heath posted:

This would make more sense as a criticism if there wasn't also a ton of hype from journalists as well. Unless Dunkey is threatening to beat up Jason Schreier too.

moosferatu posted:

Seems like I must be the only one who'd never heard of this Dunkey guy before. Certainly makes me less interested

Dunkey is one of the few actually funny video game youtubers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idgaf about dunkey's toxic rear end and i like animal well a lot. it's my top game this year so far

it is also a metroidvania in the classic way where there is no defined linear path, puzzles have multiple solutions for whatever ability layout you have, so you can do each of the four flames in whatever order you want. and then post game there are items that encourage even more exploration of past areas. but like yea, you'll get an item and now be able to go places you couldn't before, but those places also have ways to progress if you had gotten a different item. getting all the bonus mcguffins though will require a combination of items and mastery of the game

there are traversal 'tricks' with the items that are intended by the developer as there are achievements for them, and it's up to you to figure them out, and that will get you to more secret rooms/puzzles. if you're worried that the secret stuff is all entirely ARG or "you need to learn assembly code and input this bg pattern into a compiler", that's sort of the final final postgame stuff. the main campaign is around 5-6 hours. there are mcguffin doors that open once you have a certain amount of them... after an hour-ish of postgame play I have 40 of them, so again, if you just like finding chests/upgrades, you'll be fine for 90% of what the game has to offer, and it won't take you a billion hours. You can just go as far as getting all the bonus mcguffins and then call it a day and leave the rest to the ARG-brained community to figure out

e: btw AW is not a "go in blind" game like Inscryption/Outer Wilds imo so I don't think stuff like what i just said needs to be spoilered

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 12, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm still "early" in terms of overall Animal Well metaprogression, but it's very clever and has some really neat setups going on here. It might be a touch on the pricey side (we'll see if I still feel that way when I'm done trying to solve everything), but it also doesn't feel that bad paying a bit of a premium for a literal single dev production either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

e: btw AW is not a "go in blind" game like Inscryption/Outer Wilds imo so I don't think stuff like what i just said needs to be spoilered

eh, there's a lot of cool moments of discovery that would definitely be lessened if you didn't learn them yourself organically, but yeah I wouldn't say they're on the same level as outer wilds or tunic.

moosferatu posted:

it's a genuinely good game regardless of what you think of the youtuber. you're doing yourself a disservice if you think you'd like it but skip it solely because he published it.

it is definitely pricey for the size, but I'd rather pay extra for a short but satisfying game than pay $0 on a F2P game I could play for hundreds of hours but makes me feel nothing.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Honestly it's more that games in general are wildly cheap at least in the US (perhaps unsustainably so tbh). Also I want to support someone who managed to get the whole game to fit in like 40 MB or something wild

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

how is dunkey toxic lol. He's probably one of the most inoffensive youtubers at that level of popularity

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Martman posted:

how is dunkey toxic lol. He's probably one of the most inoffensive youtubers at that level of popularity

He said a mean thing about a game I liked

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'd still put the Prince of Persia game that came out this year above it but I had a good time with Animal Well for the 5 hours it took to see credits. Not really interested in tracking down every little secret. Glad to see another puzzle-oriented metroidvania if nothing else.

Anyone played You are Peter Shorts? Unfortunately came out the day after Animal Well.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Rolled credits on Animal Well with 30 eggs in just under 6 hours. So, really just depends on if you like to be completionist about your Metroidvanias or not, I suppose.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Martman posted:

didn't he literally get banned from LoL for being a raging dipshit. anyway it's just my, like, opinion man!!

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I have no opinion on the matter, but this bit from his Wikipedia page is at least odd:

quote:

In November 2022, Gastrow uploaded a video criticizing Sonic Frontiers, which resulted in the game being review bombed on Metacritic. Gastrow stated he did not intend for the video to spark review bombing and accused Sonic fans of leaving negative reviews to make his fans look bad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

all youtube content creators are trash

except vinesauce vinny

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Animal Well is at the center Venn diagram of like 20 different indie platformers and somehow it completely pulls it off. It won't be everyone's jam but it's easily the best of whatever the hell it is.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

didn't he literally get banned from LoL for being a raging dipshit. anyway it's just my, like, opinion man!!
Honestly I didn't read much about that, but I can see how it's not a great look. He made a video about quitting LoL because it's toxic and breeds toxicity, and apparently in reality he lied about being banned and the behavior that led to it.

Like ok, he lied and that's bad, but that still supports the fundamental point he was making. As a former dota addict I never said or did ban-worthy stuff but I can understand how those games nudge people into an absolutely deranged mental state. I think it's very possible he genuinely realized that game was bad for his brain.

In general I think he's been pretty willful about avoiding stupid YouTube drama and stuff, so I was thinking more in terms of his content

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

that was also 8 years ago though

moosferatu posted:

I have no opinion on the matter, but this bit from his Wikipedia page is at least odd:

yeah looks like it

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Koburn posted:

yeah looks like it

Huh. Who are these "sonic fans"? The internet makes little sense.

Anyway, I'm sure Animal Well is great and know it ultimately has nothing to do with a youtuber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've hit a wall with animal well after the credits where I've hit dead ends on every lead I've checked and have no idea how to progress from here even after doing a once-over across the whole world, but whatever I'm missing could be a pixel I missed literally anywhere in the world so I guess I'm done. meanwhile the added hours I spent checking over everything which amounted to nothing but another 15 eggs definitely dampened some of my enthusiasm for it. neat game and very impressive for a solo dev but not a must-play.