Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I recently played through Deedlit Wonder Labyrinth, and its one of the more generic metroidvanias I can think of. The combat has an interesting mechanic where you gather bits to strengthen attacks, losing power and a regenerative effect if you get hit. Oh, that and one of the very first abilities you get is the power to hover above the ground, changing your height while moving left and right at will. Thought that was kind of neat.

You also need to be familiar with Record of Lodoss War to have any part of the story have an impact on you, because the game gives you nothing except for a blurb in the beginning that's basically "there were six adventurers, one was a woman and she fell in love with the leader" and that's it. So Deedlit will walk into a room with a huge dragon and be like "Oh Red Stalker hello" as if everyone is familiar with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I wasn't really playing either Deedlit or Luna Nights for the plots, but I felt the game gave me enough information to comprehend the basics of it at least. Like "the dragon was probably someone they fought with" or "this character seems like Deedlit's rival". I'm sure you'll get a lot more out of the game of you're a fan of the anime, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Schwarzwald posted:

Has the Nifflas done much since this? I know there was once commercial Knytt game (which I thought was disappointing) but aside from that I haven't heard anything. It's a shame, because I thought most of his early games were fantastic.

He's still doing stuff. I think his most recent commercial games are Uurnog Uurnlimited from 2017 and Ynglet from last year (which got a big content update just a couple of months ago).

I actually loved Knytt Underground, it is probably one of my favorite games ever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OxMan posted:

Not metroidvanias any more than soulslikes are, but all of the german dev Deck13's games have that mechanic (Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, The Surge 2)

Though with those it's about completing secret objectives unique to each boss. Which I think I probably prefer to never taking a hit...but some of the objectives can be weird and frustrating too. At least you know if you take a hit and screwed up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blue Labrador posted:

I played a little of Momadora: Reverie Under the Moonlight today for the first time in forever, and I remembered how much I love that game. Aside from how gorgeous it is, I think its length is great for a game in this genre. It's long enough that you probably won't beat it in one sitting your first time, but it's short enough that replaying it on harder difficulties/more efficiently isn't at all a chore.

I also really like the accessory system. It lets you have some player expression, but doesn't centralize the gameplay around making a build. Plus I like how it ties how bosses drop special equips when perfected. Do people know any other metroidvanias that have systems similar to this?

Also, in regards to upgrade chat, any metroidvania that gives you an airdash at some point is doing something right in my book.

Momodora kicks rear end, I can't wait for the next one.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I got to the final boss in A Robot Named Fight last night, but failed to beat it. I've played for around 7 hours total so far. The dev did a really great job with the procedural generation, and there's a lot of weapon/item variety. Successful runs are only around 2 hours long, so there's a fun power spike. I definitely recommend giving it a shot, and I will certainly continue to play it off and on.

A few criticisms, the movement items are mostly worthless and only used to clear a gate here or there. One category of upgrade are these robotic orbs that hover around you and do various things. I find them annoying and make it a little harder to see what's going on on the screen. There is one particular type of screen that has ended multiple of my runs. You have to quickly jump on crumbling platforms with spikes above you and spikes and a floor monster below you. If you fall, it is incredibly easy to get stun locked to death in a matter of seconds. Final complaint, I don't like the name of the game, but other than that it's great.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
have there been any good metroidvanias released this year, i haven't even really heard of any recent ones get much attention so i have no idea if there's some hidden gems i've totally missed or something

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dungeon Munchies is sitting at 97% positive based on ~4700 reviews.

lih
May 15, 2013

oh that had been in early access for years & it sounded pretty average last time i heard about it. maybe it's improved a lot in the last 3 years though?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

woke kaczynski posted:

Monster Sanctuary Effortpost

Thanks for this, the game is fantastic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ultrafilter posted:

Dungeon Munchies is sitting at 97% positive based on ~4700 reviews.

This game is quite fun and has stellar writing. The actual metroidvania elements are pretty light though. In fact, I did not like the gameplay all that much. The writing and art did enough to make me really like it overall.

lih posted:

have there been any good metroidvanias released this year, i haven't even really heard of any recent ones get much attention so i have no idea if there's some hidden gems i've totally missed or something

I loved "Blast brigade vs the legion of Dr Cread"
Fun characters, extensive open world, sometimes quite challenging platforming.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 10, 2022

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
What is the controller of choice for pc these days? My old one just died and now I have nothing to play these kinds of games with anymore.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Still using the 360 over here :shrug:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sjonkel posted:

What is the controller of choice for pc these days? My old one just died and now I have nothing to play these kinds of games with anymore.

PS4, PS5, any of the recent Xbox controllers.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

All modern controllers work on PC without any hassle. I can plug in my wired hori Switch controller, pair my Switch pro controller, pair my PS4 controller, use my Xbone wired controller, etc. Interchangeable.

You may need to change some options in, say, Steam Big Picture mode if you're playing a title over 8-10 years old, and some games may only have button icons for Xbox. Otherwise, buying a controller specifically for computers died out well over a decade ago.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sjonkel posted:

If you play any amount of 2d games (like metroidvanias...) get the 8bitdo pro2. It has a much better dpad than the official xbox/ps controllers, nintendo-style instead of the xbox's mushy one or the playstation's 4 separate buttons. Back paddles too, which MS wants to charge $100 extra for.

I think they make one with an xbox style stick layout too if you can't handle the playstation thumbstick positions

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 13, 2022

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Anyone play Cathedral? Steam recommended it to me, but I've been too busy to pick it up. Might do so when a sale rolls around.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you play any amount of 2d games (like metroidvanias...) get the 8bitdo pro2. It has a much better dpad than the official xbox/ps controllers, nintendo-style instead of the xbox's mushy one or the playstation's 4 separate buttons. Back paddles too, which MS wants to charge $100 extra for.

I think they make one with an xbox style stick layout too if you can't handle the playstation thumbstick positions

poo poo, this looks nice. Might have to grab one.

Also the original Ori is 50% off on the Switch online store right now so I picked that up, still haven't played that series. Actually I think they both are.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

moosferatu posted:

I got to the final boss in A Robot Named Fight last night, but failed to beat it. I've played for around 7 hours total so far. The dev did a really great job with the procedural generation, and there's a lot of weapon/item variety. Successful runs are only around 2 hours long, so there's a fun power spike. I definitely recommend giving it a shot, and I will certainly continue to play it off and on.

A few criticisms, the movement items are mostly worthless and only used to clear a gate here or there. One category of upgrade are these robotic orbs that hover around you and do various things. I find them annoying and make it a little harder to see what's going on on the screen. There is one particular type of screen that has ended multiple of my runs. You have to quickly jump on crumbling platforms with spikes above you and spikes and a floor monster below you. If you fall, it is incredibly easy to get stun locked to death in a matter of seconds. Final complaint, I don't like the name of the game, but other than that it's great.
part of that is because the game is designed with sequence breaking in mind, there's a lot of ways of just ignoring any sort of movement requirement or getting around gates. the only thing that is a hard lock afaik is anything that requires going thru 1 tile gaps.

lih
May 15, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

Anyone play Cathedral? Steam recommended it to me, but I've been too busy to pick it up. Might do so when a sale rolls around.

it's ok, not great. it's pretty difficult and punishing but the combat isn't that engaging - it's a whole lot of trial and error. surprisingly lengthy compared to most in the genre & has some decent abilities. i gave up on the second last boss who was unbelievably bullshit though.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I beat Circle of the Moon with an 8btido Pro+. 10/10 would use it to kill Dracula with a chicken again

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm finally starting Super Metroid. I never owned it as a kid and neither did any of my friends and the beginning feels great.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The beginning is SM, landing on a rain-covered planet with no music or enemies, is just fantastically atmospheric. I hadn't played the original Metroid, but making your way through Mother Brain's destroyed remains would've gotten my heart pumping for sure if I had.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My favorite metroidvanias that weren't a metroid or a vania were Aquaria (sucks about the designer who did the music) and Batman arkham asylum. My favorite I'm currently playing is guild wars 2, especially since I came at it backwards and skipped much of the exploration progression by unlocking the dragon mount and flying everywhere.

Castlevania 3 also ruled because it had multiple playable characters and I fondly remember the ghost, who Google tells me was actually Sypha from the Netflix show.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of the extremely low-key things that Super Metroid does that I really like is how good the minimap is and how the game world almost seems to be built around it rather than the other way around. So many spots where you're given juuust enough of a heads up to something thanks to its specific dimensions.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Seconding Axiom Verge 2, it was the game for me in 2021 and is MUCH better than the first game by a lot. The music is also cool.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

bagrada posted:

My favorite metroidvanias that weren't a metroid or a vania were Aquaria (sucks about the designer who did the music) and Batman arkham asylum. My favorite I'm currently playing is guild wars 2, especially since I came at it backwards and skipped much of the exploration progression by unlocking the dragon mount and flying everywhere.

Castlevania 3 also ruled because it had multiple playable characters and I fondly remember the ghost, who Google tells me was actually Sypha from the Netflix show.

You know I actually prefer Arkham Asylum over the sequels because the flow and pacing of everything just felt much more on-point throughout the game. Great series though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, Arkham Asylum had pretty fantastic pacing to keep you from wearing out with plenty of quiet time between big moments, and a nice varied mix of gameplay, but that's the number one thing you lose when going to a totally open world. Arkham City even tries to stop you from staying focused and on-task because the sidequests really do their best to distract you from getting on with the main mission.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Arkham City I thought was way too focused on combat. Getting locked in a room with like 20+ guys and not being able to move forward until you deal with them for the 10th+ time wasn't very fun, and just got worse towards the end of the game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Played through Moonscars over the last few days since it was free to download via Humble Choice membership. Pretty good game! Not a ton of exploration upgrades overall (only really notable traversal one is a mega dash), much of the exploration is gated between keys from boss encounters or roaming the map and unlocking shortcuts to backtrack as you go. There’s some Souls influence for sure (pick up bone powder to spend on upgrades as you go, lose it if you can’t recover your corpse; the aforementioned shortcut unlocks as you proceed) and there’s a bit of roguelike progress attached (each new save point you reach has a miniboss fight then you pick a new heavy secondary weapon for the next stretch; you also get to pick a few random upgrades as you kill enemies that you lose on death).

Worth a look even if it’s a bit short. Reminded me a lot of Blasphemous, which I adore and Metroidvania fans really should check out if they haven’t already.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I got Blasphemous really cheap in a Fanatical bundle, tried it out real quick, died to the first enemy (which is a boss) because I had no idea how to play yet, and put it down. I haven't entirely given up on it yet, but it's not a very good first impression, tbh, and kinda reinforces that Souls-style games are really not for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I got Blasphemous really cheap in a Fanatical bundle, tried it out real quick, died to the first enemy (which is a boss) because I had no idea how to play yet, and put it down. I haven't entirely given up on it yet, but it's not a very good first impression, tbh, and kinda reinforces that Souls-style games are really not for me.

That boss is really, really simple and is meant to be a tutorial. I was watching a friend play it who hates Souls games but loves Metroidvanias and he had a blast.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eh, like I said, it's a really bad first impression of a game when the literal first enemy in the game, seconds after the "press [BUTTON] to do X" prompts that tell you how to jump and attack, is a boss fight you're expected to win. Feels like I'm going to be spending a lot of time bashing my face into brick walls and that's not why I play video games. Also part of the reason I lost was I felt like the game was dropping inputs? Like it wouldn't always attack when I hit the button.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also I've heard the game has platforming over instant death which in a metroidvania is :barf:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Blasphemous does have insta-kill spikes, yes. There’s also a weightiness to the main character that is integral to gameplay, it’s not like most games in the genre where the baseline for movement is “track and field star on meth” and escalates from there.

I get it’s not a game for everyone and it took an hour or two for it to click for me on my first run but once it does it’s a fantastic experience, imo. It has excellent NG+ content and multiple ways to solve many quests, which is cool.

Anyway, Moonscars isn’t quite that punishing in some regards. The spikes there aren’t instantly fatal to you but you can use them against enemies, which adds a fun tactical layer to combat, and you can move quite quickly in general.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 2, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah the movement in Blasphemous is definitely the worst part. Like, in a genre where traversal, especially for backtracking to check new areas or whatever, is the thing that happens more than anything, making your walk a slow, plodding pace and your jumping heavy and ponderous can be a real drain. Especially with those install kill pits.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Yeah the movement in Blasphemous is definitely the worst part. Like, in a genre where traversal, especially for backtracking to check new areas or whatever, is the thing that happens more than anything, making your walk a slow, plodding pace and your jumping heavy and ponderous can be a real drain. Especially with those install kill pits.

You can unlock waypoint teleports later on; I think that was part of a series of bonuses that got added in during one of their (very good) patches.

lih
May 15, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

Seconding Axiom Verge 2, it was the game for me in 2021 and is MUCH better than the first game by a lot. The music is also cool.

i like it a lot more than the first but it's going for a very different thing so i get why people who loved the first didn't like it as much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tortolia posted:

You can unlock waypoint teleports later on; I think that was part of a series of bonuses that got added in during one of their (very good) patches.

There’s actually two sets of teleporters now, if you donate a whack of resources at the church you can teleport between save points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Blasphemous improved the platforming and movement controls some time after release. I didn’t play it before the changes so I don’t have a good point of comparison, but I had no problems with spike jumps like people definitely had initially. One of the things they added was whatever you call giving you a few pixels after the actual platform to jump from.

Also enjoyed Moonscars. Such snappy fighting and movement.