Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I beat Ghost Song and found it pretty disappointing after liking it at the start.

The aesthetics, music, and a lot of the writing are nice... but the combat just sucks really really bad. I upgraded literally nothing but Gunplay all the way to level 30, and by the end of the game the gun still sucked balls and was completely outclassed by melee damage. If Vigor actually does increase your melee damage (I was assuming by its description that it meant it reduced the physical damage you take, not give), then it's probably drastically better than the other two choices.

The enemies and bosses are just not interesting. There's very little sense of weight, wind-up, or investment in their strongest attacks; you'll dodge behind a dude who did a powerful swing, and he'll just turn around and instantly perform another one and wreck you... or randomly run into you; the greatest threat I encountered was enemies just moving stupidly and bumping into you a lot, so basically every enemy starts to feel the same by the end. A few enemies can actually get interrupted by your attacks, but a ton will just ignore everything you do and keep running at you, making every encounter feel like the exact same process of keeping enough distance while just spamming and out-tanking the enemies.

Also your character feels oddly too tall for a lot of the platforming. I was constantly just barely bumping into edges and it felt like everything was sized in a way that would make sense if my dude was literally half as tall.

It just overall felt like all the little details of movement and combat were either undercooked or thoughtlessly slapped together in favor of the artistic and stylistic choices.

e: re that last Hollow Knight post I disagree really hard. All but about two fights in the game give you really crucial opportunities to heal, and I've seen lots of people share very different preferences in terms of spell-casting, pure melee, or some of the more gimmicky weird builds. Every fight (except gently caress Markoth) is certainly built to be able to be cleared without getting hit, but the bosses absolutely leave chances to heal that are a really important part of their design. A lot of the heal charms are pretty obviously oriented more towards general exploration though; I don't really see it as a problem for every single charm to not be geared towards boss fights.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think people also attribute too much of Hollow Knight's vague, foreboding storytelling and world-building stuff to Dark Souls when it's just as much inspired by Super Metroid in those ways.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No Dignity posted:

... and claiming the Lordsouls to unseal the lock placed on final boss that will lead to a resolution of the stagnating status quo.
This I think is a bit oversimplifying tbh. The "kill the bosses to unlock each lock on the magic door" thing basically is just as much a Super Metroid reference when it's used in Dark Souls. And the HK ending feels much more "you messed up and got a bad ending" like in Igavanias with way less of the choice or ambiguity present in Dark Souls. Like, defeating the Radiance is pretty much undeniably the Correct Path; in Dark Souls you have choices but imo a big part of the setting is that by the end it never feels like you've really fixed anything.

There are definitely huge similarities, not tryin to deny it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

You're a soulslike if every character speaks through ominous laughs
Duck Hunt truly was the first Soulslike

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dark Souls is actually a Doom-like

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I definitely wanna try Astlibra, but I feel like it'll be on Game Pass before long.

Also your Ys comparison is funny, since Oath in Felgana is a remake of Ys III, which was actually a sidescroller

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah as I recall it's just one of many examples of that character wasting your time with long stupid rants that are intentionally just obnoxious walls of text to skip through

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like a lot of things in FIST but the combat was really bringing it down... I should still finish it though.

It just feels like way too many moves lock you in animations and mess up your movement, while enemies get insane amounts of invulnerability on knockdown and stuff. I end up not wanting to engage with the systems and just spam boring safe moves.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Huh... HAAK's framerate is complete garbage for me if I run it in full-screen mode. Windowed is fine, I wonder what's goin on. There aren't really a lot of video options so I guess I'll just play it that way but it's slightly annoying.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Blasphemous is great, and the difficulty is extremely reasonable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kinda impressive how bad Benedict Fox is on pretty much every gameplay level. I like the resident evil item inspection and puzzle solving stuff but it feels like they decided it had to be a metroidvania without having any experience or interest in platforming or combat... the controls are just so insanely bad, and the performance is garbage (on Xbox series S) making the controls even worse to deal with.

E: oh and they do that "hold the button to confirm" thing for almost every single prompt or item interaction, even when there's absolutely no reason you'd hesitate to confirm your choice so you sit around like an idiot holding B to confirm three times in a row on completely routine UI navigation. And then they DON'T use it on certain nonrefundable skill choices. It's hard to go into effort about the fail choices in this game without it turning into a crazed screed.

Martman fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 21, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just played through Metroid Dread recently too, what a badass freakin game. I have issues with it but its strengths really stick more in my memory. I kept thinking the cutscenes would become too cringe but I ended up loving them right until the end.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Re:final boss I lucked hard into realizing you can Power Bomb the black holes and suns he throws out, and honestly it turns out that makes it all super manageable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Not quite. Blasphemous relishes on taking control from the player to say “penitent one” + some dark souls fanfic nonsense that you have to mash through multiple times until you get control back.

Hollow Knight suffers from similar problems but not as bad. Hollow Knight’s issues stem from mostly just plain bad game design but is covered with the most beautiful artwork. I would easily recommend Blasphemous over Hollow knight, even with the lore issue.

I mash through the story of souls games too but I find them less intrusive as usually the only time the player loses control is during the rare cutscene and some initial dialogue.
rofl at all the wrong and bad opinions

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did I play an updated version of Blasphemous no one else played? There are frequent situations where controls are taken away from the player that the player has to mash the skip button. You have to turn in multiple quest items to progress that usually have NPCs spouting “penitent one”. Defeating bosses leads to cutscenes that drone on and on.

Starting to think people have forgotten how many times blasphemous forces the story to be front and center. Granted, it’s not a bad as anime games usually are but it is bad.
You actually don't have to mash the skip button. You can watch the art and listen to the dialogue and find that it is good and well executed

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

lol, banned from d&d so you brought the same level of quality to this thread. lmao

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

too bad Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is full of cringe dialog and interrupting your character. coulda have been a good game

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

skill issue

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

F.I.S.T.'s combat is so bad lol

you get animation locked for like 20 minutes with every attack and enemies get insane invulnerability frames, there is no reason to engage in the game's "advanced combos" or anything rather than just spamming one safe move over and over

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 15, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it is easy, and also not fun (like bloodstained's spam). getting the weathered mask in hollow knight was extremely difficult but also completely precise and fun

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Your criticisms are extremely vague while you pretend to be clear by reiterating them. Hollow Knight's controls are insanely precise and they knew exactly what they wanted the combat to be, which is very obvious when you do the boss rush mode and realize how tightly designed 95% of the boss fights are

hollow knight does have actual problems, like, even with the dreamnail, traversing the world can get pretty exhausting in the lategame because it is So Big and fast travel options are too limited. pointing out stuff like this requires actually writing a specific thought instead of stuff like "it's just not tight enough" or "it's half-baked"

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 15, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I went on a road trip but my map doesn't have a marker telling me where I am as I drive around, wtf, this fails at being a map

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

Turn on the GPS, grandpa.
but that uses too much of my phone's battery, making it objectively a design flaw

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think if you can define controls as both "objectively bad" and "necessary for the game to exist (or be good)" then that is a not very useful or reasonable use of that language.

The controls in qwop are bad at letting you move your character easy. They are better than any other game at giving you control over four separate points of movement in a human pair of legs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hollow Knight absolutely gives instant response, your movement has no momentum and there is no attempt to be "weighty" aside from knockback. If you let go of move in midair you stop moving, and can freely wiggle in either direction.

It is also seriously nothing like Super Meat Boy.

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 18, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Given this description, I genuinely doubt you’ve actually played Hollow Knight. Maybe you are thinking of a different game all together?
Same to you buddy, I think getting the weathered mask requires some understanding of the game's controls. If you're just trolling then cool I will ignore going forward (maybe try to be funny in future trolls), but Hollow Knight's controls are precise to an extent that that can actually be a problem for people.

Aside from like... falling speed... Your character literally doesn't have momentum. If you press a direction your character moves that direction at a flat speed, if you stop pressing it they stop. It can feel unnatural to some players but it literally is about as precise as controls can be in terms of "the character does the thing exactly when I press the button."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gosh I wonder how your debate style got you banned from that forum :allears:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

whoa dude. no need to bring quest 64 into this, it was a civil discussion

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

"No no, see when HK does it it's okay because I like that game."
how does this apply to the series of posts you're responding to

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Koburn posted:

I gave up on Super Daryl Deluxe midway through, and it looks like so did most people. Only 35.5% of players have the acheivement for completing the first tutorial and just 6.1% have completed the game.
How does that compare to other games

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bawk posted:

I think the patch release hit at the end of June, but I could be wrong. Definitely worth the time on Gamepass though
I don't think they patched it for Xbox though, that got delayed a bunch for some reason

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bragon posted:

Benedict Fox has been patched on Gamepass for a good 2-3 weeks now. Performance on 2.0 felt pretty good to me, I wound up having a good time with the game and would recommend it!
Ah yeah, looks like they did get the Xbox patch out two weeks ago. Just trying to be clear when people say gamepass that can be confusing in terms of PC/xbox

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Oh so it still does the same bullshit as 1 where you get continually penalized for dying, making successive attempts harder. Great to see that bit of utterly lovely design is still there, easy pass.
Lol owned

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally started Aeterna Noctis and geez this game feels overwhelmingly huge early on.

Also that first time trial I did can gently caress off. I imagine they're just a side thing but oof

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The time trials were added in DLC somewhat recently weren't they? I'm having trouble finding anything about them unlocking stuff, but I'm trying to be careful about other spoilers so idk.

The trial was fundamentally not awful and I like the platforming a lot so far, it just seemed like the requirement for the platinum time was unnecessarily rude

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Now that I know they're just for extra challenge I don't mind the time trials.

The game is pretty great so far, my main issue is that the visuals get too busy sometimes along with enemy hitboxes doin weird stuff like weapons only damaging you when they swing them, so sometimes it can get real hard to keep track of actual sources of damage vs. random particle effects or foreground nonsense or whatever.

Also this "How to play" menu is pretty fail

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

those aren't time trials, but I am still pretty surprised/impressed by how much the devs seem influenced by the Path of Pain in hollow knight

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

coming up to the end of Aeterna Noctis and despite getting insanely frustrated at times I'm mostly ending up loving it. I get the impression the Cosmos area (with all the little planets that change your gravity and make aiming feel insane at first) was the part that made a lot of people go from "this is getting a little too crazy" to "gently caress this" and give up on the game, but honestly I found it super impressive.

but then those assholes had to include a time trial using part of that mechanic and god drat some of this platforming is wild.

My main problem is that the combat is just not interesting enough for how much of it there is. Some of the hardest bosses, the ones where they generally expect you to use arrow builds instead of melee, are the most fun because they actually get to emphasize the platforming. but as long as you can melee enemies I haven't encountered a fight yet that I can't just spam attacks and heal through. they took the healing mechanic from Hollow Knight but then gave you more juice for it, longer immunity, 2 HP heals with no downside, and also afaik there are no enemies that do more than 1 damage per hit, and it all adds up to melee combat being just kinda braindead button mashing. And I think it almost has to be, because the visuals just would not work for really precise dodging when doin melee combat imo. I'm sure some nerds have done hitless melee only runs and stuff but it's just, there is often waaay too much going on on the screen.

but seriously the platforming has really blown my mind several times, and the game is doing a good job of making 100% completion feel like a natural part of progression rather than an insane grind or truly obnoxious combing over every pixel. The cutscenes all go on too long even though they look cool, and the map is pretty lame... but idk it's a solid 8/10 for me

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got around to completing Aeterna Noctis. Still was super impressed by its best qualities, but the flaws started to show through a little too much. By the end I kinda wished the entire game had just been built around the arrows, and imo they could have basically done without melee combat almost entirely. I fully completed it in around 33 hours and was still loving the platforming, but the vast majority of combat was just a total mindless slog right to the end, especially including the final boss. The last area also kinda gave me a headache with the insane amounts of bright purple. Gotta give it a 7.5/10

did get the plats in every time trial though :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Imo the only actual problem with Zelda 2 is that the last dungeon is a war crime