Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Gerrund_ing posted:

Dead or School

I’d never heard of this one so I looked it up and the store page gives massive “R18 patch offsite” vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Rain World felt like a psyop. Absolutely hated it.

I'd recommend Phoenotopia: Awakening with the caveat that it's not really a metroidvania. Its lineage is way closer to Zelda 2 with side view 2d areas connected by a top down 2d overworld. It can also be more difficult than people are typically looking for in the genre. But it is a massive game with tons of puzzles and secrets to discover. New equipment opens up a variety of new routes over the course of the game too. There's also a pleasant downtempo vibe to exploring and just wandering around to chat with people. I bought it a while back on a lark during a sale and it ended up being one of my surprise favorites of the year.

I'm also a big fan of Rusted Moss but that's a much more difficult recommend because it's actually really difficult. It's got a pretty unique aesthetic and the bungee grappling mechanic has a lot of nuance that's explored on a pretty well paced curve. Some of the platforming can be fiendishly difficult but satisfying once you've gotten the hang of the mechanics. But I think it's worth checking out if you don't mind a challenge and are interested in seeing something that doesn't hew so close to the genre formula.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

I finished Rebel: Transmute at 90% completion and can’t really recommend it. There’s enough interesting stuff and effort put into it that I don’t want to leave a bad review but it was kind of a rough experience overall. My biggest (and really almost entire) complaint is how poorly signed posted and tutorialized the whole experience is.

As mentioned above there’s a lot of movement tech that seems to be vital to progression but is simply not tutorialized in any way. I spent the entire game wondering when I would be able to break the underwater crystals only to learn it was something that was possible with an upgrade I found 1/4 through the game. There was just never any indication that it was possible and I had to learn online when I was trying to clean up missing rooms. Once you’ve got a lot of movement options under your belt things are very snappy and smooth but there were multiple times I had to trudge back over the map in search of a tool I assumed I was missing.

There was also an occasion where I stumbled upon a boss and beat it only for nothing to happen. I later read that it was apparently required for story progression but there was never any acknowledgement from the game that I had accomplished the task. The game just seemed to have cut any mention of the boss at all because I’d beaten it ahead of time. Some doors also open after you’ve killed every enemy in the room - but they look exactly the same as other doors that are toggled by switches hidden somewhere in the room. There were also four items I collected that as far as I can tell do nothing at all? It’s difficult to tell if they were just backer rewards or incomplete/bugged content.

The badge system is also far too limiting. There’s a maximum capacity of 10 energy and some augments take up to 3. Some features are also augments that have no business being choices. Double jump, your own health display. It results in a lot of augments simply never being looked at because it’s hard to justify giving up multiple qol or kill better mods to play with something niche.

I’m complaining a lot about the game but I did finish it which I don’t often do with games because I’m quick to drop them when I feel the tedium draws out too long. The exploration was overall pretty satisfying with lots of collectibles and secrets scattered around, many of which required multiple powers to access. But overall it feels like a big homage to hollow knight, environmental station alpha, and Metroid, while never really living up to any of them. I hope the developer is able to smooth out all the rough patches and turn it into a solid 7/10 but at the moment I think it’s more of a 5/10.