Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've been binging metroidvanias lately, mostly due to not having been able to upgrade my gpu for 9 years, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Been playing Ato. It's a pretty decent little game with a focus on 1v1 sword duels. Compact map, fun upgrades, good waypointing. You can complete it in a couple of sittings. Very chill (except when it's not.)

I laughed when you finally get the sword that you've been building up to the entire game and it does absolutely nothing!

Better than a lot of the crap I've tried out lately.

Ghost Song. Janky controls, awful checkpointing, horrible combat. Shame because I really like shooty metroidvanias.

Dark Light - this just didn't vibe with me at all. Felt like I was playing a poo poo, 2D diablo 2 type game.

Elderand. boring and you can't stagger enemies at all.

Phoenotopia. Anime verbal diarrhea. Gave up before I got to the main part of the game.

Super Gear Quest: not my thing at all. Didn't find it funny or endearing

Outbuddies DX - You expect a certain amount of ugly with these games but this was just too much.

Depths of Sanity - jesus, if you play all fps games with the walk button held down this is the metroidvania for you. Slow, ugly, simplistic map, agravating enemies and poo poo upgrades.

Metroidvanias's I've loved recently.

Islets - movement felt joyful and exploration was very satisfying.

Axiom Verge - just all round solid. the drone might be my favourite upgrade in any metroildvania.

Grime - feels like more like a 2D souls but it scratches that itch and the combat is very well implemented.

Sundered - I know many people were cool on this when it came out but the randomisation really doesn't matter and the core loop, once you get some upgrades is very fun. You don't need to be scared of the hordes for long and the combat is very satisfying.

Unsighted - this is just loving rad. Once you get the hang of the (essential) parry system the game just flies.

Steamworld Dig 2 - I loved this and didn't want to stop playing. But I had to. Because it's very short.

Haiku The Robot - Best in class map design, progression, secrets and world building. Loved it and wanted 2-3x more!

Edit: phew, that was a big edit!

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

RC Cola posted:

Trip report. HAAK is one of the best games I've ever played

What did you like about it? I played up to the first hub and it seemed good but not great. What changes?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Bloody hell Haak has an absolutely ridiculous amount of nested secrets.

Find some well hidden, optional upgrade in one map that lets you access something in the next map that lets you get to a major upgrade in the next. The designers really went to town on this one!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Reddit seems to like it but it ran really badly on my laptop while looking like pretty much any other 2D metroid game so i binned it.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I didn't think it was much fun to play either. Gave up after killing the boss of that annoying underwater level.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Is Afterimage closer to Hollow Knight (love) or Bloodstained (hate)? I'd love to sink my teeth into a really long HK style game.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for that overview! Sounds like I'll wait for a bigger discount.

I absolutely hate Metroidvanias with stat based progression rather than item based. Hollow Knight is pretty much my ideal game but Haak, Islets, Ato, Monster Boy, Axiom Verge, Haiku were all great.

What are your fave MVs with no stat progression?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I like Blasphemous but something about it just makes me want to play other things. Hope the sequel is good though!

Has anyone played a Robot Named Fight? I tried a couple of runs last night and it didn't grab me. The aiming system and placement of enemies seem to be designed to completely work against one another. Does it get better after you unlock a few more permanent systems?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Alwa was too clunky for me. Felt more like a 2D Zelda.

Astalon was absolutely phenomenal though. Totally blew me away. I was not expecting that much game in a little retro styled thing.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Edit: Guffers!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

Oh yeah, more like a top down Zelda game translated to a 2D plane, in terms of how items are introduced and how they then have a specific themed dungeon where you have to use them.

I didn't dig it. They give you access to most of the upgrades right at the start and you just go back and swap them out as needed. That killed a lot of the fun of slowly maxing your powers. Some of the upgrades were extremely underwhelming too. Gee, I can change the colour of my bubble? Thanks.

I can see that some people might like the slower pace but I gave up on the dungeon with the switches that turned the spikes on and off. I didn't enjoy the water level before that and it seemed that they were just going to keep introducing those kind of gimmicks rather than letting you explore and build an overall useful skillset.

Some of the individual puzzle rooms were great though.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Goddamn Rusted Moss is so good. I love how the game teaches you to do stuff that you previously thought was completely impossible. Some of the later jump manoeuvres were completely unthinkable a few hours before.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of the Souls games but Hollow Knight is my favourite game of all time, for what it's worth.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Best advice for Rusted Moss. There's a laboratory area near the end of the game. Do everything you want to do in that area BEFORE you finish the objective there or something permanent and very bad happens that makes it a lot less fun to navigate after that.

I learnt this the hard way.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I didn't think anything in HK was particularly difficult till I got to that circus thing...woof.

Didn't help that I missed all the magic upgrades until half 2/3rds of way through my second play through. Didn't even know they existed lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Saw a bit of animal well on stream and that cat thing didn't seem like a fun time. Are there a lot of unkillable enemies in the game?