Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stop making Soulslike metroidvanias! Just because Hollow Knight pulled it off it doesn't mean you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

how is hollowknight soulslike besides "depressing setting" and "you drop your pocket change on death"
i swear 99% of the term soulslike is just story/feel and not gameplay now

- High level of difficulty with limited, high commitment healing and a strong emphasis on punishing boss fights you have to memorise
- The plot is literally Dark Souls with the proper nouns swapped around slightly and the storytelling sensibilities are identical, down to most of the plot coming from item descriptions giving you ominous hints about the history of the world
- The final boss is straight up Bug Artorias

Honestly it's wild you don't think it's a Soulslike, from the moment I picked it up it just screamed to me the devs though 'what if Dark Souls was a Metroid?', they just made the conversion with a bit more finesse than your Salt & Sanctuaries and Death's Gambits

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Come on man, Diablo and the Cyberdemon are both demons and that's about it. Hollow Knight is literally a nameless wander exploring the desicated ruins of an old kingdom, gradually uncovering how the world fell to ruin and claiming the Lordsouls to unseal the lock placed on final boss that will lead to a resolution of the stagnating status quo. You even have a cast of quirky NPCs with their own agendas and quests travelling through the land whose stories you can intersect with and a Firelink style hub where the last few sane survivors have conregated to form a small community and base of operations for the player. It is practically a bugsona Dark Souls fic

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 7, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not even dumping on Hollow Knight, it's a great game! But it's like noting that Kill Bill took a few cues from 70s grindhouse revenge films!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Forgive me as I actually haven't played much Dark Souls, but is there any ability-based gating in the world design or is it all enemy level-based "discouragement"?

There's a few keys and an area that's a pain to fully explore without the lava ring (which you get on the main path in the same area), imo It's no more of a Metroidvania than Baldur's Gate or World of Warcraft

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steam Tags will let you search for 'open world' 'rpg' 'anime' and bring back Dark Souls 3, it really needs much higher thresholds for relevance for to produce garbage results

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Velius posted:

I've played a lot of PC metroidvanias over the years, and probably my favorite are the ones that let you sequence break and use movement abilities/damage jumping etc to get to where you shouldn't go. But that's not really the only thing I care about, I really enjoy good gameplay and music/ambience. I loved La Mulana, La Mulana 2, Environmental Station Alpha, Valdis Story, Hollow Knight, and more recently Metroid Dread. Axiom Verge /2 I was more on the fence about, I think just because the exploration side felt very 'you will follow this path' and didn't allow for much freedom and the platforming felt pretty unsatisfying for some reason. I adored Celeste as well, but that's obviously just a straight platformer. I guess I'm trying to decide whether to try Bloodstained, Ender Lilies, or something else, and figured this was the place to ask for a recommendation.

Play Unsighted, it's a Metroidvania fan's Metroidvania and an overall excellent game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Kind of a bad example because Dark Souls 3 easily fits into those criteria.

I used it as an example exactly because it does technically fit that criteria whilst also almost certainly not being the type of game people would be searching for under those tags!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I'm replaying Super Metroid and I've concluded that the best part of this game is the platforming/physics/kaizo mario aspect of it. The movement upgrades unlock new areas but most can be substituted with nightmare level walljumping. Are there any games that come close to replicating that? I haven't played that many indie metroidvanias, my sense is they mostly are of the igavania lineage and/or go for metroid tone and vibes rather than the physics per se like axiom verge

Unsighted gets this, the entire game is designed to be sequence broken using advanced movement tech and alternate uses of equipment

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dread had too many interchangable zones without a strong personality and the EMMI encounters got the danger/consequence ratio the wrong way around (they should have been less bullshit to deal with but given you a normal death and reset to checkpoint if they did kill you) but overall it was still a pretty good time, at least as good as Fusion if not as perfectly formed as Super/Zero Mission

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

Bloody hell Haak has an absolutely ridiculous amount of nested secrets.

Find some well hidden, optional upgrade in one map that lets you access something in the next map that lets you get to a major upgrade in the next. The designers really went to town on this one!

Haak, hello

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nrook posted:

All great, difficult games have moments in them where the player just feels a sense of exhilaration at having used their new skills, developed over many hard hours, to accomplish a task that would have seemed impossible at the start. Dark Souls, when you finally take down Ornstein & Smough and the game opens up in acquiescence. Viewtiful Joe, when you finally beat down Fire Leo. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, when you manage to seize the powerful "Boost" movement ability. And of course, Hyper Light Drifter, when you consult the map and successfully use it to navigate the world.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hyper Light Drifter was like an entire game about the feel of finding a secret area inside a secret area in Death Mountain in ALttP, I'll never 100% that game and I'm happy not to but it did give me some of the best exploration vibes I've ever had in a game. It's like a mystery you'll never fully uncover but knowing there's bits you missed and secrets still lying underneath the surface just adds to the mystique of the world

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

Played a couple of hours of Iconoclasts and it's... weird. The tone of the game is just extremely bizarre to me, and there's something of an uncanny valley effect to the writing where I'm just constantly scratching my head at the dialogue even if it sorta makes sense. I don't know that I can put my finger on it exactly. It's just weird.

It's still fun if a bit too puzzle-y for my taste, but definitely doesn't seem like a classic metroidvania at all so far.

Yeah I didn't gel with it either, a very story-heavy game by a guy who isn't very good at writing but really shoots for the moon

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Ender Lilies is on sale. How did that end up being? I recall hearing that the combat didn't quite feel right from a few people, but I dunno if that's more of a personal preference vs. a fundamental game design flaw.

I tried replaying it a few weeks ago and it's so boring. Incredibly good music and visuals but bland exploration and a ton of focus put on constant combat with copy pasted enemies which is both fairly difficult but also pretty bad because of your character's stodgy movement and combat options

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Alot of dev's main takeaway from Souls combat seems to be 'weighty movement and animations = good' but most of them seem to miss that the weightiness works both ways in From games and you can usually bully enemies back and get poise/posture breaks by hitting them good, it's much less fun when nothing reacts to your hits and you have to play bait and punish all of the time because you can't knock them out of any of their moves

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 1, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phoentopia is one the worst, but most well crafted games I've ever played. Every inch of it is a labour of love but it plays like it was made by someone who had never played a platformer before but had the genre described to them by a guy down the pub. The movement, the exploration, the combat, absolutely none of it works, but it does looks exceptionally charming and lushous and seems to have a sweet story so if you can game off pure vibes you might get something out of it?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

AM2R is straight up the best 2d Metroid game without "super" in the title.

I would say the same but I absolutely hate the Metroid fights in that game, and given how much of it is given over to fighting Metroids it really detracted from the overall experience for me. The exploration and all the other bosses though, top work

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

At least it's a way of reliably hitting them, having locational hitboxes on enemies that can move freely and rapidly across the screen really just doesn't work by itself with Metroid's fight mechanics either imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Eh I disagree but I suppose I understand because I roll my eyes at the twee Disney horseshit from Ori

Ori is one I'll never understand, like if Thomas Kinkaid made an adaption of a Ghibli film, just really pandering schmaltz not even on the level of a Disney film, but people go crazy for it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It is genuinely a mediocre game. The problems are very apparent when you reach the garden areas and it can’t decide if it wants to be a weighty dark souls game or a precision platformer. It has some of the worst play feel since the euro jank platform days of the snes. If you strip away the absolute wonderful art, you get gameplay that is basically Ocean quality.

I won’t be so contrarian to call in a bottom tier metroidvania, but it is easily the most overhyped game that gets by purely on the amazing art.

From someone who beat it and put way too many hours into to see what the gently caress people saw in this game: it’s not worth it. Skip it.

Maybe the sequel will be better when it comes out.

Hollow Knight has amazing fundamentals and the PC handles like a dream, I'm not even a tremendous fan of the game but this is a deranged opinion

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't care for comparing everything to Dark Souls but there's so much of it's DNA in Hollow Knight it's completely warranted on this case

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I simply play games I enjoy, and stop playing them when I don't

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some of you guys should try enjoying life imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Imagine having an internal dialogue where you're telling yourself to keep on playing you dislike, just to prove to yourself(?) that you're not being contrarian

and then posting on SA and having the dumbest, most contrarian opinions in the thread anyway

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dude if you wanna play some H-games you don't have to make excuses for it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hollow Knight could barely justify its scale and that was the best implementation of the oversized metroidvania premise, I think all of these games would be better off if they could set themselves a limit of like twenty hours tops. Also, Silksong would probably actually exist

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why don't they make more metroidvanias that are more like Metroid, this shouldn't be a hard thing to do

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lets hang out posted:

everyone making these things grew up playing Castlevania games on handhelds, not Metroid

Nah they're making 2D souls knock offs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eveeyr western indie metroidvania now has a bleak gothic artstyle, punishingly high difficulty, is 30 hours long and a first boss called something like 'Solus, Bannerman of the Empire'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Maybe I should try super metroid

It's never been topped imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also I hope some of those games end up good, nice to see some more visual styles at the very least

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I mean I made fun of the Souls aesthetic getting really played out but what really distinguishes Metroid from the rest is the concise length, intricate level design and versatile platforming mechanics, I don't know how prevalent that is with any of those games listed.

I've always wanted to play Environment Station Alpha though, I actually have the game but I've never been able to get it working with a controller. Even loading it onto Steam Deck it just doesn't work?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That looks awesome. Always glad to see an 'iga' style igavania

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fusion feels like a better version of Super in that respect, enemy attacks are less muddy but hit alot harder so you do have to learn the dance of the fights. And they just own in Samus Returns and Dread but I guess they do start to feel like a departure from the style of the 90s/00s games?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Fusion gets no credit with me for absolutely anything; locking the player into sectors that had to be solved corridor-style-linearly is the antithesis of why I play Metroid, and the awkward love story was just salt on the wound.

Okay but the fights are good, which is what are talking about

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah the EMMIs and the weird arbitary lockouts lower the game to only good when it could be great, but the fundamentals are fantastic and I'd love to see MercuryStream have a third go at the series with a modern Super Metroid style world. They're like 80% of the way to making an all-time metroidvania, a better map and a less hosed development which doesn't lead to a ton of cut bosses is really all they need

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but https://store.steampowered.com/app/2324610/Xanthiom_Zero/ is a really stripped down, metroid-inspired game that I enjoyed quite a bit. It's reasonably short, but has a lot of powerups and unlockables, the vast majority of which are not simple 5% bonuses to something, but actual modifications to your weapons/etc. It's also five goddamn dollars which is incredible.

Folks were asking about Metroid-inspired games and this is absolutely one of those for sure.

The downsides are that the control is a little twitchy and the art is very simple, sort of gameboy-sized sprites on a bigger background, but all the rest of it is pretty great, and none of those downsides are a problem at this price point; highly recommend.

Edit: oh yeah and there's modifiers you can apply to saves as well, so you can customize your repeat playthroughs.

This looks awesome, thanks for the rec

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I also bought it but didn't try the demo. Mostly based on the aesthetic, hoping the actual game would be decent. Gonna give it a go later today.

If you like the aesthetic there's this game called Bloodborne you should really check out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Souls-like aesthetic is getting pretty played out too. Boss called 'Armonius, Watcher of the Void'? gently caress off I want to fight a giant cyborg crab