Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
beat Super Metroid for the first time last winter and have concluded that it is the ultimate gamer's Panty Dropper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you play any amount of 2d games (like metroidvanias...) get the 8bitdo pro2. It has a much better dpad than the official xbox/ps controllers, nintendo-style instead of the xbox's mushy one or the playstation's 4 separate buttons. Back paddles too, which MS wants to charge $100 extra for.

I think they make one with an xbox style stick layout too if you can't handle the playstation thumbstick positions

I beat Circle of the Moon with an 8btido Pro+. 10/10 would use it to kill Dracula with a chicken again

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Metroidvania sale at GOG

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Steamworld Dig 2 is on sale for Switch at the moment: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/steamworld-dig-2

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Been enjoying the gentle grind of the DSvanias recently. Any recs for games in the Iga style that are available for Switch? I'm looking for something that allows for leveling, lots of gear, etc, rather than the git gud Dark Souls style a la Hollow Knight or Blasphemous. It's fun to jump around and pummel huge monsters without working too hard. So far I've got Chasm and Timespinner on the list.

Currently having a hell of a good time with Bloodstained Ritual of the Night on Xbox, they absolutely nailed it. There's something to be said for the massive variety of items and powers even though several of them suck. I continue to discover new uses for stuff that I had thought was garbage though.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I've got an Aria save going in the Advance Collection but I never feel particularly motivated to finish it after a bunch of false starts. The visuals suffer badly on larger screens without filters, and it sort of harms the experience for me, especially after playing the gorgeous DS games. Circle of the Moon is my favorite of that set thanks to the atmosphere and the card system. That castle was super memorable and the graphics scaled up quite nicely.

I'm not big on grinding really, it's more that the system leaves little bit of wiggle room if I don't feel like struggling against a particular challenge. Portrait of Ruin also stands out because the two character thing made it possible to pull of cheesy room-specific strats with a good deal of flexibility.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 12, 2024

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Commander Keene posted:

The Team Ladybug Metroidvanias (Touhou Luna Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth) both have levels, and Deedlit has gear, though they're not a huge indicator of raw power and you're still going to have to engage with the games' main gimmick (time powers in Luna Nights and elemental changing in Deedlit). Timespinner is probably the most Iga Metroidvania I've played outside of the games Iga has made himself.

Oh yeah I'll get to the Team Ladybug games sometime. Drainus is so good.

Astlibra is not really for me, unfortunately. I played the demo and didn't take to any part of it.

Guacamelee 1+2 are on sale for peanuts today, how do they hold up? Should I skip to 2? They don't seem very RPG-ish at all but for the price they seem worth a look. Also, how do people like Monster Boy?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

OxMan posted:

The closest thing to a beat-em-up MV game. The MV elements are light, not a lot of extra exploration or backtracking with new abilities, those are mostly progression. Guacamelees strength is in the name, the fun melee combat. If you dig that you'll like it, but it's fairly lacking otherwise at full price. For a couple of bux tho? You'll probably play them for at least a couple of hours, gently caress it.
Went on an OpenBoR spree a few months back so this sounds awesome. Not very Iga but sounds like a rad idea regardless, thanks!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

sudonim posted:

For whatever reason I was thinking about MegaMan Legends recently, a fully 3d MegaMan adventure game for the OG playstation. It has a lot of underground dungeons, big and small, and they were all interconnected in unexpected ways. In retrospect it made the game kinda feel like a metroidvania before the word was in wide use.
Legends was spooky and weird in a very special way. I'd love a remaster or something but it'll probably never happen

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Cool Timespinner randomizer run from a recent GDQ event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtGvV-o8Hc

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Playing thru SotN for the first time and just inverted the castle. The drat enemies are hard now! Gonna explore until I get tired of it then finally finish Aria

I beat Bloodstained first and it's awesome to see everything that they cribbed. People are sort of down on that game but I think they fuckin nailed it.

That Clock Room to Colisseum path is devious as hell. Maybe better in concept than practice because it completely halted my progress once before, and I just went with a guide at that point this time. Same for that wooden bridge in the underground

I'm also pleased in retrospect at how good Circle of the Moon's castle is. I was able to complete the whole game without a guide, except to cheese Dracula with the card glitch.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Unreal_One posted:

Are there any procgen metroidvanias with a largely static map? Basically I'm imagining something like Super Metroid Randomizer but in a game designed from the ground up for it.
Chasm generates a new map for every run. Bloodstained has a built in randomizer that keeps the map but changes all of the items around, with the option to alter enemies, drops etc