Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey just saw this thread existed.

So I'm playing Ender Lilies and I absolutely love it. Which metroidvanias are closest to this?

I like the variety of movesets/spirits and the challenging boss fights that may need a few attempts but are totally doable.

I guess I really appreciate some of the qol it has like death is only a temporary set back (so no loss of materials), and easily warping back to your save point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Medullah posted:

How difficult is it? I have been looking for a casual Steam Deck Metroidvania, I started Blashphemous and while I like it I'm not a big fan of Souls like Metroidvanias. I love Bloodstained so something around that level of challenge is what I'm looking for.

It's fair for a metroidvania but it almost completely comes down to your moveset (there's a lot of 'spells' you can take in your load out but you can only take a mix of 6 at a time and there's a lot more than six to get. Bosses will likely take a few tries)

Always take some good ranged options and you'll be fine.

The ender magnolia website mentions all platforms so it's not just switch.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

One of the issues with ender lilies is that there's not really enough spirit upgrade items in the game to max them out but if you don't do the final tier you can get plenty to level 3.

The first few spirits are some of the strongest too, so just upgrade those and don't hoard their usage. They refill easily enough.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hope Tortolia sees this to continue discussion

Re: Blasphemous 2

Tortolia posted:

Honestly I feel the same way and talked about it in the Metroidvania thread; there’s a lot to like gameplaywise but I feel there’s some pretty dramatic design missteps that you start to feel in the later game. I would absolutely do another NG+ run of the first game over the second at this time.

Yeah I enjoyed blasphemous 2 well enough but it definitely feels off and it doesn't help that it's ultimately more of the same, it doesn't do too much that makes it more interesting over the first.

There is some stuff they improved, like cut down the number of rosaries a little bit but then they added all the altar pieces and it's like 'oh god'

And it's weird how the back half of the game kind of becomes incredibly linear. They literally won't pop up the next level until you finish the current level.

I'd like to hear more about what else you thought were missteps late game.

Ultimately no regrets about finishing it and doing 100%, but I'm not likely to revisit it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Absolutely agree. Even though there are so many things blasphemous 2 does better (weapon choices for one) I still can't ultimately say it's actually better despite it being like a game 4 years newer.

If you really loved blasphemous 1 and don't mind more of the same go ahead and get it.

If you want something even just a little bit different, try another new game. Lord knows there's plenty of metroidvanias out there. Maybe ender lilies?

I hope we don't have a similar conversation about ender lilies VS ender magnolias.

You know what though, the blasphemous 2 boss fights were almost worth solely the price of admission/time spent.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

At the end of the day I don't regret playing blasphemous 2. It was fun but just won't be as memorable.

It is definitely going to feel very samey especially given I played blasphemous 1 less than a year ago (played it last October, so that's actually like 4 months difference.)

Given the game releases upcoming, it's gonna be a while before I play another metroidvania but I think ender magnolias is a day one purchase for me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Probably worth mentioning this months humble bundle has Afterimage in it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Blasphemous 2 was a lot better about that actually so at least they learned something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

We're gonna have an animal well secret hunting community in the Playstation discord. I recommend joining if you wanna hunt together. All platforms welcome.

https://discord.com/invite/AvaGXzja