Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I've done 3 loops in Ultros.
I have no real idea what the story is.
The planting mechanic is neat I guess and it has some puzzles uses but I have no idea if I should just be planting seeds willy nilly when there's no obvious puzzle nearby.
The loop concept is alright, you aren't that far from getting your upgrades back but I can see it starting to wear thin because it breaks up the flow of the game.
I feel like I'm missing something.

You will eventually (probably pretty soon, I don't 100% remember the order of things and there may be some freedom in order of tackling them) be able to unroot planted seeds and also have a clearer reason for planting them. (The pre-tool part of the loop does also eventually get a shortcut.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

nemesis_hub posted:

Finishing up Blasphemous and I’ve been loving it. How’s Afterimage? It looks interesting but I never hear people talk about it?

My impression of it after a couple of hours is not very positive.

The controls feel pretty floaty and and imprecise, combat is so far trivially easy (in large part because caused by bosses just doing no damage) but on the other hand the controls would probably not stand up to actually challengeng combat.

The areas are ridiculously big, I can see some ymmv on this one but they are bigger than they are interesting and usually your reward for exploring is a chest with a couple of potions which you'll never need because see above.

In terms of writing you have a cliche supremely annoying fairy companion.

The art is like, good in terms of still images? But doesn't really animate well (which also contributes to lackluster playfeel).

But like, having voiced all those complaints, it's not like actively terrible or anything, it's decently likely I'll still finish it?

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

galagazombie posted:

Wait I did have the white armor, or do you mean there’s an upgraded white armor I missed?

The smith guy upgrades it with the bits you get from finishing all the npc sidequests.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I did enjoy it enough (or perhaps am stubborn enough) to beat the final boss but I do fundamentally agree that completely changing what has until that point been the signature mechanic of the game is perhaps not the most amazing idea.