Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mode 7 posted:

IMO if you ask "is there x thread" and the answer is no, you must now create the thread.

Looking forward to posting in the generic metroidvania thread, thank you S.J.

Well, gently caress.

Look at this stupid map. I love it.

This will, hopefully, be an ongoing megathread for all of your generic metroidvania needs. The classics out there like the Metroid series (including Prime, gently caress off) and Castlevania series set the groundwork for this genre and it's still going incredibly strong today. There are honestly too many of them out there to list, but many of you probably recognize a lot of the more popular ones out there recently: Hollow Knight, Guacamelee, Dead Cells, Ori and the Blind Forest as well as its sequel, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Axiom Verge, Rogue Legacy, Control, Tunic, and many many more. I'm not going to bother writing up detailed entries for these because of how many there are and the fact that I've played relatively few of them since getting back into Metroidvania games lately.

For anyone who doesn't quite know what a metroidvania is, I'm just going to quote the wiki at you

"Wikipedia posted:

Metroidvania is a genre of action-adventure video games focused on guided non-linearity and utility-gated exploration and progression. The term is a portmanteau of the names of the video game series Metroid and Castlevania, with games in the genre borrowing from both series.

I feel it's also important to point out that Metroidvania as a concept and a genre is general enough that it can be applied alongside a lot of other genres, whether they're third person shooters like Control or roguelikes like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells.

I used to play these more when I was younger but I've recently gotten back into it a bit. I am by no means an expert so if anyone wants to write up a brief blurb about their favorite(s) in the genre I'd be happy to copy it into the OP!

Personally I just picked up Metroid: Dread (finally) and I'm really looking forward to trying out Dark Light and Tunic that just landed not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

2nd post reserved for shitposting

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Castleroids, you mean :smuggo:

When you take Castleroids you end up with games like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Thank you for succumbing to peer pressure. :hai:

To kick it off, what’s everyone’s favourite short non-Metroid, non-Castlevania Metroidvania. Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?

I loving love Guacamelee. You get to switch between the worlds of the living and the dead and SUPLEX THE gently caress OUT OF BAD GUYS

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moosferatu posted:

I played almost the entirety of Islets on my Deck while flying from Europe to the US a few weeks ago. I had played a little of the demo earlier in the year, and hadn't loved it. But, I was looking for a game to play on the flight, so I decided to give it a go.

It ended up being quite an enjoyable little game. Its biggest strength is its movement, which is good because that's one of the things I care most about. It's fast, smooth, and feels good. I also like the colorful world and surprisingly funny characters.

I could nitpick a handful of things that could have been better, but there was only one thing that I thought was outright bad -- the boss fights. The boss fights are all bull hell garbage that are incongruous with the rest of the game. That said, I don't personally like bullet hell in any context.

PS: Thanks for making this thread! I've been sad it didn't exist for a while now.

Hell yeah.

Everyone please post more of your favs, especially if they're on steam, because a lot of them are perfect fodder for when a steam sale hits and most of them go to 5/10 dollars a pop

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Question: I was gifted Bloodstained on the switch right after release, but the entire time I was playing it I felt like my character was moving underwater. The controls didn't feel reactive or smooth at all and it was very frustrating, I put it down after not too long. Did anyone else experience this?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

woke kaczynski posted:

It's better now on switch than it was and I completed it there (with occasional crashing) but it's the worst platform to play on, and after tooling around in it on my steam deck I can't go back.

Okay fair. I just remember getting to a particular boss and even though memorizing the patterns and timing often times my inputs would be delayed so horribly that I'd die and I got very tired of that and gave up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was on a bit of a metroidvania kick last year, but I think that kinda stalled out after playing Dread. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet the game that invented most of the key bits of the genre and may be the first metroidvania game.

Honestly, yes. Fantastic.

Also, souls games are just metroidvanias with corpse runs.

I started up Hyper Light Drifter again recently since I never finished it when I first picked it up and despite the obvious Zelda connections it just feels way more like a MV anyways

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 1, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are there any decent multiplayer MVs outside of Guacamelee?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Zelda isn't a platformer, unless you count Zelda II, or the side-scrolling sections of Link's Awakening, or the Super Metroid parts of the LttP+SM randomizer.

Sure, but metroidvania's don't need to be platformers at all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not trying to be a linguistic prescriptivist, but both of the archetypal games of the genre are platformers and the term certainly historically has been used as an alternative to "exploratory platformers" as a genre. Or to quote further down on Wikipedia from the OP:

If folks agree to call OG Zelda a Metroidvania, like, fine, but that's certainly an expansion of the genre relative to what it's been traditionally. I mean we could've called it Melda or Zeldroid all the way back in 1987.

That's all fine, but even the article you quoted doesn't say they are platformers, just that they tend to be. I wouldn't personally call Zelda an MV but it fits enough of the bill that I wouldn't bother arguing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm glad we found something technical and kind of pointless to argue about, that pretty much guarantees the longevity of a thread

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zelda dungeons are mini metroidvanias connected by an overworld that usually isn't

S.J.
May 19, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you play any amount of 2d games (like metroidvanias...) get the 8bitdo pro2. It has a much better dpad than the official xbox/ps controllers, nintendo-style instead of the xbox's mushy one or the playstation's 4 separate buttons. Back paddles too, which MS wants to charge $100 extra for.

I think they make one with an xbox style stick layout too if you can't handle the playstation thumbstick positions

poo poo, this looks nice. Might have to grab one.

Also the original Ori is 50% off on the Switch online store right now so I picked that up, still haven't played that series. Actually I think they both are.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm finally starting Super Metroid. I never owned it as a kid and neither did any of my friends and the beginning feels great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

bagrada posted:

My favorite metroidvanias that weren't a metroid or a vania were Aquaria (sucks about the designer who did the music) and Batman arkham asylum. My favorite I'm currently playing is guild wars 2, especially since I came at it backwards and skipped much of the exploration progression by unlocking the dragon mount and flying everywhere.

Castlevania 3 also ruled because it had multiple playable characters and I fondly remember the ghost, who Google tells me was actually Sypha from the Netflix show.

You know I actually prefer Arkham Asylum over the sequels because the flow and pacing of everything just felt much more on-point throughout the game. Great series though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

S.J. posted:

Also, souls games are just metroidvanias with corpse runs

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Soulslike has come to mean any game that's stupidly hard just to be hard, and where the most commonly accpeted means to progess is to git gud.

Not arguing with you, I think thats fair, but its such a weird non-genre that people are obsessed with using for... I dont even know some times. Seems like it has more to do with people thinking the games difficulty is something special even when it isn't. There have always been hard games. Expecting your players to die a bunch doesn't make something difficult, that just makes dying part of the progression of learning. I will say souls games are great for rage clips though, that shits hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Holy poo poo the new remaster of Metroid Prime is ridiculously good.

I will probably be picking it up this weekend, it looks loving fantastic.