Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

guppy posted:

It is fine to like or not like the map system in Hollow Knight. But words have meaning and for something to be "objectively" bad would mean that it is an immutable fact, not something that can be disagreed with, and that is clearly not the case as multiple people in this thread, myself included, like the way the map works in Hollow Knight. It is fine for you to not like it but that does not make it an objective fact.

Game content can be objectively bad (at the thing it is doing) while being subjectively good (as a game element). Two examples spring to mind.

The controls in QWOP are objectively bad. There are very few games that make moving the character remotely as difficult. But without the objectively bad controls, it stops being a game.

The RYNO in the ratchet and clank series is objectively the best weapon in the game: you hold the trigger down and every enemy on screen dies immediately. If you could get it without completing all the sidequests required, it would lessen the game, but since it's always harder to get than it is to beat the game, it's fine. Most players who get it use it a few times then go back to the more fun weapons which are objectively worse weapons.

The map in Hollow knight is objectively a worse mapping tool than most of its competition. It usually tells you less while requiring more effort. Whether or not it improves the game is subjective per person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ilmucche posted:

Something I don't like in a lot of metroidvania games is that there's no indication you're next to a save room. I like it when the games put a little marker up when you're 1 room away. Picking the wrong door in a room of 6 then getting sent back because of dying sucks when another door would've been a heal and save.

My favorite for this is just don't have saverooms, put the save plinth smack dab in the way like Guacamelee does.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Are there any procgen metroidvanias with a largely static map? Basically I'm imagining something like Super Metroid Randomizer but in a game designed from the ground up for it.