Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

the greatest thread in the history of forums

Nah. Every thread dedicated to a specific video game genre starts like this.

Eventually, everyone moves on, and actual discussion and recommendation of games happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Soulslike has come to mean any game that's stupidly hard just to be hard, and where the most commonly accpeted means to progess is to git gud.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tortolia posted:

1) Extremely dangerous combat, particularly if healing options are limited and leave you vulnerable while you do them.

4) Storytelling via inference and item descriptions/lore and not cutscenes or verbal plot dumps.

I hate games that do this. #4 is one of the reasons I don't really care for Final Fantasy 8.

Tortolia posted:

2) Loss of money and particularly exp on death, particularly if it’s gone for good if you fail a corpse run.

I've played enough roguelikes that the Loss Of Money On Death doesn't bother me at all. And as someone who played City Of Heroes for years, XP Debt got me used to what would become Loss Of XP On Death in other games.

Tortolia posted:

3) Prominent unlockable shortcuts built into map design - as a function of the map design itself and less so “you got the double jump now you can directly go up to that platform and skip the long way around”.
5) Character death having some sort of tangible influence on the world state.

These two don't really bother me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Steam Autumn Sale is happening, so there's some MVs on sale, including:

Blootstained: Ritual Of The Night - $13.99
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - $3.74
Rogue Legacy - $2.99
Rogue Legacy 2 - $18.74

Those last two are probably considered a Roguelike more than a Metroidvania, but Steam classifies them as both.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Velius posted:

I've played a lot of PC metroidvanias over the years, and probably my favorite are the ones that let you sequence break and use movement abilities/damage jumping etc to get to where you shouldn't go. But that's not really the only thing I care about, I really enjoy good gameplay and music/ambience. I loved La Mulana, La Mulana 2, Environmental Station Alpha, Valdis Story, Hollow Knight, and more recently Metroid Dread. Axiom Verge /2 I was more on the fence about, I think just because the exploration side felt very 'you will follow this path' and didn't allow for much freedom and the platforming felt pretty unsatisfying for some reason. I adored Celeste as well, but that's obviously just a straight platformer. I guess I'm trying to decide whether to try Bloodstained, Ender Lilies, or something else, and figured this was the place to ask for a recommendation.

I love the hell out of Bloodstained. It's the only game I've got 100% on.

That said, while you do get a Double Jump ability that will let you sequence break, there aren't really a lot of opportunities to use it that way. You'll spend more time either moving forward, or going back to previous areas to get to new areas using the new ability/item you just got.

It's very much just Symphony Of The Night with whiteout over the serial numbers, but it's still a fantastic game. If you enjoyed SOTN, and/or even the Soma Cruz GBA Castlevanias, you'll enjoy Bloodstained.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i forget when 9 Years of Shadows releases but I guess that would be the first new one i'd be playing this year and I thiiiiink that's next month. so I can maybe take a 'breaktroidvania' until then

The 7th Guest posted:

9 Years of Shadows got delayed again to 2023 to fix a lot of the issues people had with the Next Fest build.

Flimf posted:

There is a demo out for 9 Years of Shadows on Steam and that sure continues the trend of "cool looking 2D platformer with completely insane controller mapping" like so many other recent metroidvanias.

I might even go as far as say it is a bad game and that the only reason it is considered good, is because the wait for Silksong has been so long that it has led to some sort of "bad taste" disease.

It showed up in my Steam Queue, so I guess it's out now, if anyone wants to give it a whirl...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I played the first half of the game on Switch and then, stopped. It feels awful on the Switch. I recently loaded my save on my Steam Deck and it plays much better there, but I haven't really picked it up again yet.

You should play some Castlevania.

Yeah, Bloodstained is poorly optimized on Switch, and the mobile versions are full of bugs with no signs of the company that did the ports caring about fixing them.

I'm not sure why enemies are instantly respawing. I have never had that happen. Maybe it's a feature on Hard/Nightmare?

For a pixel Castlevania-like, get Curse Of The Moon 1 and/or 2. For a 3-D on 2-D Castlevania, you can play Classic Mode.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Instantly respawn as in on screen change I'd imagine.

Oh, yeah. I thought that was normal in most Metroidvanias, but I haven't played a lot, so I didn't think about that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0x2JanYeA

Man, this showed up in my feed and all I can think of is "....is that Bloodstained?"

They're both Inti Creates games, but I got more of a Megaman Meets Castlevania Meets Metroid vibe from it...

Also, someone copyright claimed the name, so now it's Gal Guardians.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 21, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

Pressed down + attack in mid-air.

:golfclap:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Some of you guys should try enjoying life imo

Video Games are Serious Business™. You don't play them to have fun. You play them to win.

Morpheus posted:

You play the games unless you hate them, then you play them to 100% conpletion because otherwise the game wins and gently caress if I'm going to let that happen

See? This totally serious poster gets it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Not gonna lie “Solus: Bannerman of the Empire” sounds like a cool dude and I’d like to meet him.

Here he is, complete with Stupidest Hairdo On A Villain

He's not a cool dude, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah I liked it well enough but hopefully they figure it out better on the sequel I vaguely remember being announced.

It hasn't been officially announced yet. It was accidentally leaked, and instead of trying to cover it up, they owned it. Their official statement is that they are going to finish Bloodstained before they officially announce, or even begin work on, the sequel.

They have two more modes to release (Chaos and VS), then a few costume DLCs, Classic Mode 2 DLC, and then they'll be done.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 23, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Ironically where it really shines (and I'd frequently forget you could even do) is in boss fights since many don't really know what to do about it.

Oh yeah. It's my favorite way to fight Valac.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Please, IGA, just give us Bloodstained 2! We're begging to be able to give you our money!

It's coming, eventually. From a stream the Community Manager, Question, did in July:

Q: Bloodstained 2 when?

A: We have to finish 1 first. Still no release date for Chaos or VS modes. I'm hoping September or October. Paid DLCs will come after Kickstarter items are done (Chaos and VS mode). Classic Mode 2, "is looking good". Once all the Paid DLCs are done, "then we'll start talking about sequels". As for 2, we didn't want to talk about it, but we managed to accidently leak out what we're working on, and so...

Sadly, those 2 modes haven't been released yet. They're proving troublesome. In September, Iga himself put a video on YouTube saying they were delayed, and apologizing for said delay.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Weapons in Bloodstained can hit small enemies on the ground. You have to press forward and down to do it, but the animations tend to look like your attacking forward.

The game can be beat with pretty much any set up, though there is a stupid op magic build that uses the best +INT gear, the +INT Shard maxed so it becomes a passive and applies twice, Gebel's Glasses, Skull Necklace, and Summon Hellhound. Everything just melts.

As for Familiars, Fairy is a direct import from SOTN, healing you with the Fairy Potions and pointing out secret walls. Silver Knight will block projectiles. Dantalion will cast a spell that boosts STR for a minute. Bloodbringer, like Fairy, is a direct import from SOTN, where it's a Familiar and a weapon. Leveling up the Familiar increases the strength of the weapon.

For me, I tend to heal myself before Fairy can, and Detective's Eye not only shows breakable walls, but when maxed, also picks up drops. If I go for a Magic Build, Dantalion doesn't do me any good, since I need INT, not STR.

I used to use Silver Knight all the time, but now I prefer Dullahammer Head. You get 5 with 9 copies of the Shard, and they just fly all over, doing damage.

Oh, also, Buer is a familiar that exists.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the Free Games thread:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

I always thought of Crystalis as "Zelda, but in the far far future". Man that game was so good.

Holy crap! Someone else played Crystalis? I've never heard anyone talk about it before.

Also, I never thought of it that way, but yeah, it pretty much was a Zelda game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Difficult and Souls-Like tags on Steam keep me away from Hollow Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

3 of the 4 Shantae games are part of this sale, and I've heard good things about the series...

Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut is $4.99 USD
Shantae And The Pirate's Curse is $9.99 USD
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is $6.99 USD

Those are Shantae 2, 3, and 4, respectivly. It seems that 1 never made it to PC, so it's only on GBC, Switch, and PS4 & 5. Shantae 5, Shantae And The Seven Sirens is on PC, but not on sale (30bux USD), and Shantae 6, Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution will be released for GBA later this year, and then Switch, PS4/5, and Windows ports will happen some time after.