Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I love this genre! There's supposed to be some Touhou fangame that was like, a sleeper killer Metroidvania, right? I don't remember where I heard that, but I distinctly remember someone recommending me to check it out on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

That's the one! Added it to my Steam list for when my next paycheck hits, thank you!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I played a little of Momadora: Reverie Under the Moonlight today for the first time in forever, and I remembered how much I love that game. Aside from how gorgeous it is, I think its length is great for a game in this genre. It's long enough that you probably won't beat it in one sitting your first time, but it's short enough that replaying it on harder difficulties/more efficiently isn't at all a chore.

I also really like the accessory system. It lets you have some player expression, but doesn't centralize the gameplay around making a build. Plus I like how it ties how bosses drop special equips when perfected. Do people know any other metroidvanias that have systems similar to this?

Also, in regards to upgrade chat, any metroidvania that gives you an airdash at some point is doing something right in my book.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Valency posted:

I'm excited for a metroidvania specific thread :neckbeard:

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet: I recently picked up Iconoclasts and it was a fun entry in the genre. I appreciated that it wasn't infected with the souls-like difficulty that a lot of metroidvanias have these days. There was a bit less backtracking, or at least meaningful backtracking than I normally expect. Lots of spots with hidden power-ups to go back to, but the story kept fairly forward momentum through new areas instead of sending you back on macguffin hunts through previous areas. Overall though it was a good time that didn't overstay its welcome.

Iconoclasts kicks massive amounts of rear end. The narrative was way way better than I expected going into too. A lot of the atmosphere in the later parts of the game legitimately affected me.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I revisited Iconoclasts recently and man, that game still holds up for me. During individual beats, the writing can be a little clunky, but the earnestness of it all greatly outweighs that for me. Just a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm replaying Aria of Sorrow atm, and I just unlocked the ultimate ring in the game. Now I know Castlevania has had super rare drops and whatnot, and while unlocking Aria's ultimate gear takes a completionist streak, it's still relatively straightforward and intuitive to figure out what you need to do and where you need to go to get it. 100% Souls, in the very final late-game dungeon. Pretty simple.

So now I'm curious about secrets in this genre in general, Castlevania or otherwise. How about the not-straightforward stuff? Whether that's because it's just a little too abstract or it's some real off-the-wall nonsense, what are some goofy Metroidvania secrets you can think of?