Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The best part of the Deedlit game is The epilogue where you wake up from the dream and finally play in the “real world”. And if you try to swing your Aria of Sorrow style giant claymore, instead of effortlessly swinging it one handed like you were throughout the game, your dainty elf muscles can’t even lift it off the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
English Pope Escobar is a 1’000/10 performance and I won’t hear otherwise. Up there with Senator Armstrong for best final boss monologue of all time.
And just lmao at saying a game about exploring a giant platforming maze in 2D grid form designed around backtracking isn’t a metroidvania.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I like it when people call me Penitent One, with a descriptor at the end like “in Silence” or “full of Agony” Preferably in real life.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Swilo posted:

More games need to be Metroid sci-fi/horror run-and-gun, I'm kind of burnt out on gothic/fantasy melee adventures.

The moment I realized Axiom Verge 2 had replaced the shooty shooty with the stabby stabby my mood on it soured and never recovered. It’s not that I don’t love me some melee Metroivania, it’s just that they make up such an overwhelming majority of what’s available that taking one of the few gun based ones and making me swing a pickaxe all game was just a massive waste. It also didn’t help the game was just plain not as good as the first.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gorn Myson posted:

Recently? That started happening after DS1 was released. Hollow Knight, which is a masterpiece, got compared to that and it was a cliche to say that when it came out six years ago.

To be fair Hollow Knight did straight up lift Dark Souls bloodstain mechanic and the game suffers for it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Being sent back to the last save room is the risk. The reward is progressing instead of being sent back to the save room.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's interesting for games to feel the freedom to tinker around with base mechanics instead of feeling a need to stay married to conventions for the sake of comfort. Especially in a genre that is often defined by evoking horror at times. Causing the player a bit of discomfort from the lack of information in a new area or trying to bait them out into handicapping themselves for the sake of a little more fighting power are easy ways of doing that. It can also add to the feeling of triumph when you overcome these things.

It's always important to be able to question convention to be able to build more complex experiences, because otherwise you leave out half the experience of the game in the development process. There's plenty of interesting things that you can do by messing around with the backend.

I also think it's interesting to hunt for Cornifer when you see some map scraps or hear his humming, and it's satisfying to see him at the end after you've bought all his maps. I think the most interesting way the mechanic is used is with the Fog Canyon, which is in the middle of the world map and accessible early on, but Cornifer is in a spot you can't get without a lategame upgrade, so it's left for a long time as just a mysterious corridor that most players wouldn't be bold enough to fully explore. A softer and more subtle way of gating off areas.

No one complains about Cornifer. He’s just the Super Metroid map room with a fun audio search mechanic. What people complain about is everything except Cornifer. Metroidvanias are games about mapping out a platforming maze, and Hollow Knight literally doesn’t let you map out the maze. It’s like Madden not displaying the score unless you play with less linemen.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The real problem with Blasphemous is that you can’t get a Speed Booster ability and run head first into people like a unicorn to impale them on your pointy hat.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Loving Blasphemous 2 gameplay wise. It’s an improvement in every way. Story wise though it’s really lacking. In addition to replacing the pixel art cutscenes with cartoons that don’t match the rest of the game which is still done in beautiful pixel art, the story is just a retread. Admittedly I don’t really know how you could make it different from the first game without taking away what makes it Blasphemous. But regardless it’s pretty much just “Remember how Catholic-land got ironically and poetically mutilated? Well it happened again.”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not gonna lie “Solus: Bannerman of the Empire” sounds like a cool dude and I’d like to meet him.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Afterimage is much improved by using the Chinese dub. The English dub is just pure nonsense that makes parsing the text even harder. Besides how often do you get to hear a game natively dubbed in a language other than English or Japanese?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Banjo Tooie is a Metroidvania.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Barudak posted:

Wrapping up the last bits of Blaphemous 2 and its surprising to me how much it bugs me the Catholic imagery is thrown in with no respect to the settings interesting concept to the story and settings detriment. Ts so well drawn and animated throughout it should gain points but its so clearly an aesthetic over meaning its losing points for me.

While 2 was better as an actual game, Storywise and World design wise I think 1 already told basically all there was to tell with the concept. 2 is kinda lazy and almost perfunctory in how it’s just “Welp I guess Catholicstan got all nasty again guess you better do something about it…” like it’s janitor duty and everything is catholic themed less because it’s part of the world building and more because thats what 1 did. The areas themselves are beautiful but they seem kind of arbitrary and disconnected from each other.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fuzz posted:

The storyline is so loving dumb.

I found it a funny reversal in that In Anime games you always kill god, but in Afterimage the goal is to stop the villain from killing god.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It has that sick music that’s all: bwom-bwom babwombabawom, and then the little woowdawoowdawoowda part comes in.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
To me, Ender Lillies was one of those games with a brutal start because your lack of options limits you to one “playstyle” that rapidly gets much easier as you start unlocking all the alternate move sets that let you play how you want to.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Played 9 Years of Shadows. It was pretty bleh. The music, art, sprite work are all 10/10 and there are so many neat gameplay ideas and the bosses are fun to fight so I wanted to love it. But the game just works against itself in so many ways. The central gameplay mechanic is your health bar is also your ammo bar, but all that means is you never shoot your gun and exclusively wack things with your axe, because the only way to refill your health is to run out of ammo and then refilling it from 0. The story and characters are also painfully dull and generic despite the designs. The castle is also just really empty. There’s nothing to really find by exploring except health upgrades. The non bosses are all pallet swaps that don’t really move. The enemies have color coded weaknesses that you can’t take advantage of because 90% of the game takes place in one of 3 versions of a room that only allows you to wear one color of armor, which are meaningless anyway because they all have identical move sets. I straight up quit playing at the last boss because the last area removes your ability to refill your ammo/health you’ve been using all game. Instead you can only just sit and wait for it to slowly fill up after letting it sit at zero for awhile while the boss takes potshots at you and you have no health/ammo for your endgame only abilities. I said “this isn’t fun this is bullshit I’m not wasting my time on this” and put down the game. Seriously I would have given the game a much better rating if not for that finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fuzz posted:

You would have gotten the bad ending anyway. Unlock the insane white armor so you constantly Regen health, it turns the whole final sequence into the Hyper Beam from Super Metroid.

Wait I did have the white armor, or do you mean there’s an upgraded white armor I missed?