Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

My favorite small scale one is Environmental Station Alpha, cool secrets, fun map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I really love Ecclesia's Magnes, what a fun traversal ability

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Finished Ghost Song, looked up the other ending on Youtube since I must have missed a trigger or two for it, confirmed what made sense to me on an intuitive level about one of the big mysteries of the game.

I think I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Competently made, good aesthetics/sound design, plot is explained well enough if you do some exploration and sidequesting, it just never quite comes together all that cohesively. Certainly not the worst game the genre's ever seen, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to play it compared to other games in the space.

I've been having trouble getting myself to play it, it just didn't feel good imo and I guess to me that's the most important part since you spend so long exploring and traversing

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I rec Messeger and didnt notice the jorp reference.
The soundtrack by rainbowdragoneyes is incredible tho.

If they had tightened up the back half for collecting it could have been like a 10/10.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

3) More seriously, are there any classic Castlevania games that are playable on the PC (and more importantly, *worth* going back to as a new player)? The only one I ever touched was Aria of Sorrow ages ago, which I enjoyed.

4) Likewise, Is Metroid: Samus Returns (2017) playable on PC? I loved all 2d Metroids (Fusion being the lowest point imo?) and have just heard of this title from wikipedia.

The Castlevania advanced collection on steam is a pretty good official collection, it contains the 3 gba games Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, and Harmony of Dissonance. AoS is the best of them but I'm still fond of CotM tho the soundtrack got hosed on the gba.
Dracula X (version of Rondo of Blood) is an okay way to play that game and Rondo is one of the best cvs imo.

The CV classic collection is a bit more rocky and not quiet metroidvanias but honestly all fans should play Super Castlevania IV it's very good. Also ez 2 emulate being a snes game.

For Samus Returns citra runs it quite well and I replayed it like that recently. Citra let's you bind buttons to the touchscreen as well. There are some mods out there to make it look less like rear end on a larger screen as well (gfx replacements)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Fatty posted:

On that note, how do Portrait of Ruin and Order Of Ecclesia stand up? I remember really enjoying the former, but that was on a handheld over a decade ago.

PoR has a lot more touchscreen usage since it was early on in the DS life but i got a soft spot for jonathon/charlotte. It also notably has varied environments did to using the portraits to to places.

On most days I call Order of Ecclesia my favourite IGAvania and today is most days. Its just got a lot of good poo poo and i line the no damage medals. The refined power system from AoS and DoS and magnesis is so fun to travel with.

Schwarzwald posted:

Rondo of Blood is great but I respectfully disagree w/r/t Dracula X being "okay."

You are right, sometimes I'm unfairly harsh on the changes, but it is also a great game. Just got a soft spot for that ol PC engine game

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i really liked replaying super metroid with ips patches for gba style controls and widescreen support.

its pretty nice that way and still feels like SM physics wise, tho it has an optional heavy gravity patch if you don't even want that

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/5293/

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Vookatos posted:

People have been mentioning how most metroidvanias are inspired by igavanias more than Metroid in the thread recently, but are there actually any good games like that?

To me, what separates Castlevania's Metroidy entries are just absurd amount of stuff hidden everywhere. Every enemy has 1-2 drops that might be unique items with weird gimmicks, and enemy abilities from Sorrow games are a blast. I've never seen an indie 'Vania replicate this aspect. I've recently beaten some Igavanias by only pumping up my Luck stat and that was super fun. Well, until I learned that it does nothing in Harmony of Dissonance and both Sorrow games... But before that it was fun to go through the castle and even grind a bit to see what kind of soul or weird item I'll get from every enemy. The only game I can think of that replicates it is Iga's own Bloodstained.

It feels more like most indie Metroidvanias chase after Castlevania aesthetics but with uninspired Metroid collectibles and power-ups. I really hope that series actually breaks the norm from "here's a morph ball, here's a wave beam, every optional goodie is 5 missiles", because that sucks.

Unfortunately not, its what makes me love love the igas, do you need 100 food items? no but its charming to pick up a boba tea or pizza to heal yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

moosferatu posted:

Does anyone use uplay though?

i pay em $20 every year or so play all their new stuff in one month.
might do it for this and rear end creed whatever