Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Excited for this one, the demo at last year’s NextFest was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Finished up Afterimage this weekend -- the main game yesterday, and NG+ content / all achievements today. Overall verdict: Recommended for people who really love MVs, but wait for a sale.

Highlights:
* Platforming/combat mechanics feel great, it was fun just running around the map
* Gigantic map with a ton of traversal to do. I was constantly discovering new things to do 20+ hours in.
* Hitting spikes/beams/etc. teleports you back to nearby solid ground without inflicting damage. You get to focus on getting the jumps/dashes right instead of worrying about having enough HP potions for attempts. (Important, since they wear their Hollow Knight influences on their sleeve and there's a ton of "navigate this spiky corridor in mid-air" sections.)
* Solid music, albeit a bit repetitive in some areas.

In the middle:
* On default difficulty, most bosses were easily downed on the first try. I think I only died three or four times the entire playthrough.
* With a map that big, a "maybe you should go here next" indicator of some kind would have been appreciated. I did a lot of wandering and got to lv50+ before I even discovered Holy Grounds. This could be a pro or con for you, YMMV.

Lowlights:
* Plot and endings were utterly incomprehensible. (Not sure if this was a CN->EN translation issue.)
* Not a ton of variety in weapons -- they may have different stats and damage types, but for the most part, all 1h swords / 2h swords / scythes / whips / etc. felt the same, and you just care about bonuses.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Tortolia posted:

I finished it yesterday too (outside of maybe finishing the rest of the achievements, not sure if I’ll effort those since I’ll have to go hunt around and figure out which leaves/flowers and coins I missed) and we basically feel the exact same way about it. Honestly if there had been about 20% less game it would have worked better, it was just slightly too big and some of the pacing fell apart.

My suspicion is that, being a crowdfunded project, they had a bunch of areas as stretch goals and didn't really think enough about whether they were simply putting too much into the game. Agreed, it would have been a better game if they shaved off about a quarter of the areas (or even just shrunk each area a bit to be more tightly focused) and spent a bit more time on tutorials / plot points.

FYI, if you want to bother with efforting out the achievements: one of the things you can buy with Coins of Se is an Afterimage for item hunting. It makes the map show the # of items missing in each area, and makes a beep + shows an icon over your head when you're near an unclaimed item.

The map being so absurdly big means it takes a while to get everything, though. I ended up downloading a fan-made map with all the items on it, and checked them off one by one.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Tortolia posted:

I've bought literally everything from Se but the 5 coin dual blades in her last batch of items, so apparently that's something I bought at some point and overlooked. Derp. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I made a list of things I'm missing equipmentwise, and thankfully I think only like two of them are rare mob items I'll have to farm, so I think the confusion over Where Are The Coins/Leaves/Flowers was the bigger blocker in my mind.

Word. The only other really annoying one is activating all Confluences -- you have to rest at them to "activate" them, and I ended up just running past a lot of them during the game if I was already on full health. If you mouse over one in the map and it doesn't give you the option to spend a Resting Potion to teleport to it, it's not activated.

Grinding to lv99 is pretty straightforward. (Load every +exp item you have and go fight the first phase of the final NG+ boss, then exit to main menu once you finish phase 1 and get the XP for it. It's a guaranteed 1-2 level-ups per kill, and you can immediately reload save and then mash the dialogue skip button to do it again.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Started in on Aeterna Noctis, and got an unexpected achievement for beating Garibaldi without the arrow of light. Is that not intended to be the second boss?