Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm a big fan of the lab coat in Axiom Verge 1 which lets you phase through 1-block-wide walls. It's simple and elegant enough that you can instantly understand how useful it is, but it's a unique enough upgrade that even having played a bunch of other metroidvanias you probably weren't expecting anything like it or taking note of spots it could be used, so you get to go back and explore with a whole new eye using this weird new power and seeing how it affects the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
nah im gonna stick to backtrack-em-up

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sjonkel posted:

What is the controller of choice for pc these days? My old one just died and now I have nothing to play these kinds of games with anymore.

If you play any amount of 2d games (like metroidvanias...) get the 8bitdo pro2. It has a much better dpad than the official xbox/ps controllers, nintendo-style instead of the xbox's mushy one or the playstation's 4 separate buttons. Back paddles too, which MS wants to charge $100 extra for.

I think they make one with an xbox style stick layout too if you can't handle the playstation thumbstick positions

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 13, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Dignity posted:

Stop making Soulslike metroidvanias! Just because Hollow Knight pulled it off it doesn't mean you can!

how is hollowknight soulslike besides "depressing setting" and "you drop your pocket change on death"
i swear 99% of the term soulslike is just story/feel and not gameplay now

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

Soulslike just means "drops your pocket change on death" to be honest. What else has it ever meant?

Stamina management dodgeroll combat with relatively slow committal attacks that you can't cancel out of (so you have to consciously think/plan when to use them and when to wait and dodge instead)
there are a good number of 3d games that have yoinked the same setup like the surge, lords of the fallen, starwars the force unleashed, hellpoint, mortal shell....

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If plot and boss theming counts for genre then diablo is an FPS since Diablo himself is basically just a cyberdemon who stopped making payments at the rent-to-own cyber-legs centre

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Steam tacks are pretty bad a lotta the time.
Rogue legacy has metroidvania-inspired maps and movement and whatnot but just like dead cells it has absolutely none of the "search-action" / "backtrack-em-up" DNA which is the part that really separates the feel of playing a metroidvania from any other platformer

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you want to avoid having to oneshot tons of trash enemies as you backtrack back and forth, what you're really looking for is a fast-travel system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah iconoclasts plays like a pretty linear game where you always know where you're going next, there's not a ton of metroidvania-ey exploring and backtracking going on.
Kinda like order of ecclesia in that sense.